• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
We've already gotten over that.

On another note,
I could totally see them patching the japanese 3ds smash bros after the NA comes out.
Well it's certainly a possibility. After all, they have patched Pokemon X and Y a few times.

Okay so there's going to be a trailer for the USA/Europeon release. What about the Japanese release?
I imagine they'd have tv ads and that's about it from this point on if you ask me.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I could totally see it happening to Hype up America but still not letting Japan spoil Rodlie

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
Mewtwo's importance has always been very exaggerated imo. He's definitely the most iconic legendary Pokémon, but he's still not on league with Pikachu or Charizard, and will also always be less important than the current marketing darling. Ridley is the main antagonist of his franchise and set all of its event in motion, so I think it's rather one-sided.
Pikachu, Charizard and Lucario are pretty much Gamefreak's holy trinity when it comes to marketing, Mewtwo is a close fourth though.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure Ridley will be a secret character, which probably means he won't be revealed through Sakurai. And I honestly don't mind. I'm so tired of this waiting game that I would be happy with any kind of confirmation.

Oh, can I be on the supporter list too?

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I wish the game had a worldwide release like X and Y. I at least want the potential of being suprised about the hidden characters.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
So let's see, there's only less then three hundred pages left before the thread reaches critical mass, and we've still got two weeks left...

This place is gonna blow before Japanese launch.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well that October 3rd to me seems to be just saying hey the game is available starting at Midnight and that also there's a new character reveal trailer we just released, so go watch it on the official site. In no way do I see how that means midnight trailer or how that would make ANY sense at all. They intentionally withhold a character from the Japanese release just to hype up Americans, I'm sure Ridley has a sizable number of Ridley fans or supporters who might be fairly pissed at that. No reason whatsoever to hold Ridley back for something like that, even if the character is ridiculously desired by the west. Or at least that's my two cents before this becomes the new thing everyone expects. It says new character and trailer and more with the site link RIGHT THERE. Which implies that's what it being talked about, there is a bunch of cool stuff about the game on the site, go look at it, nothing more.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Well in that case, i really have bad news...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OT5HX9QolQ

One of the squares shows all-star mode for people who originated from 1985-1986.
This means no Ridley. :(
We've talked about this about 6 or 7 times already in this thread alone.

Nintendo erased every evidence of secret characters on the commercials. That includes Ridley. Also, Pit, Palutena and R.O.B. should be there and they aren't. That proves nothing.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
So let's see, there's only less then three hundred pages left before the thread reaches critical mass, and we've still got two weeks left...

This place is gonna blow before Japanese launch.
'T has always been our fate, hasn't it? To be the big bomb, the one to end it all. This was what Sakurai had been planning all along, thinking years ahead of us. And now, when we finally realize what our true function is, it is too late to stop ourselves.
Sakurai wants to destroy Smashboards, and has been using us all this time. We have been played like a fiddle.

This is why I shouldn't be left in charge of any form of fanfiction.

One of the squares shows all-star mode for people who originated from 1985-1986.
Pit and Palutena aren't there either, neither is ROB.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

We've been over this here various times. This means nothing for Ridley.

R.O.B., Pit, and Palutena should be there, too. If they decide to go with Ridley from Other M, he'd be classified under 2010 along with Shulk, because Ridley from Other M is technically an entirely different character from Ridley in the other games. Another solution would be that they won't have you face off against more than 5 in succession, so the All Star glimpse doesn't mean much for Ridley.

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
'T has always been our fate, hasn't it? To be the big bomb, the one to end it all. This was what Sakurai had been planning all along, thinking years ahead of us. And now, when we finally realize what our true function is, it is too late to stop ourselves.
Sakurai wants to destroy Smashboards, and has been using us all this time. We have been played like a fiddle.

This is why I shouldn't be left in charge of any form of fanfiction.
*This is why I should be left in charge of all forms of fanfiction.

Noticed a few errors.

http://smashbros-miiverse.com/stages/pyrosphere
i just want to ask this.
is it positiv for us that here in the description of the stage is the thing that the encountered the clone?
i mean it clearly states that this thing WASNT ridley
so i dont know if this is on some way an official thing
There is very little in the Metroid universe that matches the shadow. It has to be Ridley.

Zygard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0533-4990-1418
i just want to ask this.
is it positiv for us that here in the description of the stage is the thing that the encountered the clone?
The site is fan made. Also it states "Text by Smashedpotatoes".

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
http://smashbros-miiverse.com/stages/pyrosphere
i just want to ask this.
That's a fansite, so they don't know anything more than the rest of us do.

EDIT: But they do have a compilation of all pics on the Pyrosphere. That's nice if someone is looking to analyze them all.

Last edited:
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484

Grimfrost

Smash Cadet
Someone who claimed to be a pax leaker said that meta ridley will be an alt costume for him. Kinda makes sense to me .

Also they said that an enemy from samus' past MAY appear and i think stage bosses happen 100% so he may appear when someone takes him as fighter?

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
Someone who claimed to be a pax leaker said that meta ridley will be an alt costume for him. Kinda makes sense to me .

Also they said that an enemy from samus' past MAY appear and i think stage bosses happen 100% so he may appear when someone takes him as fighter?
But if it is indeed the Other M Ridley, or at least some variation of him that's playable. It makes a little less sense.

Also, I wouldn't believe any "leaks" until the embargo ends.

majora_787

Smash Hero
The embargo is a magical thing. Nothing quite says "We showed something big" like "No documenting anything here in any way. You speak of this to nobody until the game is out."

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
But if it is indeed the Other M Ridley, or at least some variation of him that's playable. It makes a little less sense.

Also, I wouldn't believe any "leaks" until the embargo ends.
We shouldn't believe text leaks. Period.

Also Meta Ridley as an alt would only make sense if the default Ridley appearance looked similar to Meta Ridley's. I mean, they could always modify them a little so they have the same hitbox, but I think it'd be a lot of unnecessary work.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
*This is why I should be left in charge of all forms of fanfiction.

Noticed a few errors.
See, I was right :troll:

Different proportions between Metaley and Otherley. Won't work.

The embargo is a magical thing. Nothing quite says "We showed something big" like "No documenting anything here in any way. You speak of this to nobody until the game is out."
But deep inside, their hearts yearn to scream. Two words, just two. Two is all that would be necessary, and then, only silence.
"Ridley confirmed."

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
See, I was right :troll:

Different proportions between Metaley and Otherley. Won't work.

But deep inside, their hearts yearn to scream. Two words, just two. Two is all that would be necessary, and then, only silence.
''Too Big."
Fixed

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Contrary to popular belief/misconception, posting for the sake of hype/furthering the thread along in post count is akin to spamming.
Especially if they mostly consist of:

• multiple/single images
    • videos (please link instead of embedding, lest the pages lag like crazy)
    • intentional overreaction/"spamming/trolling" posts including but not limited to:
      • -posting in all caps
        -one-word/line replies and just posts with no actual substance
        -playing devil's advocate for the sake of boredom/sarcasm
        -and just making terrible posts in general.
None of these are even specific to this thread, they're in the Terms of Service/Global Rules.
If these type of posts outnumber the ones on topic (and yes, that includes post that go/are mostly off topic, then go "Also/back to Ridley" at the end. No, putting it in spoiler tags does not make it okay), then we have a problem.

-

As for the "ban" on leak talk. Yes, I specifically note leaks because that specific talk plagues every corner of the site as of recent, but that doesn't mean it should be used as a gauge/example of how whatever's going on now "isn't as bad as doing that."

Don't get me wrong. I completely understand and sympathize with hype, less-serious posts, and yes, even futile/misplaced hope. I was replying to/making this before I noticed things getting out of hand:

Mirror: "You see, technically you're not actually a feasible character. To be playable, you have to be a certain size-"

Ridley: "TheloniousKraid?"

It's all fun and games/usually fine when it's underlying actually topical discussion. But the rate this thread was posting (30+ pages over half a day, which isn't even as bad as it gets) was ridiculous considering the reason people were getting hyped was... him not getting shown/disconfirmed? Or potentially being shown to people who won't tell us until after the game releases? I'm not even touching the "other villain/boss has a shadow/is big too so this means something for us" thing.

The point is, yes things are dragging out, especially now with release being so close, but that doesn't mean all the warnings in the past don't exist. Save the hype/reaction stuff for when we actually have reason to use them/have an actual Social topic.

Lastly, I shouldn't need to remind people the possibility exists that things aren't guaranteed to end well for us. Celebrating before the war was won has historically not turned out well for these threads in particular. Plus gives us less to celebrate about later. Optimism isn't bad, but don't go bashing the roster/game if things don't pan out. At least, not in here.

With that all said, I'm giving this one last chance. Needless to say, warnings will increase in severity.

There's officially 14 days left until we've officially made it/it'll all be over. That's nothing compared to how long most of us have waited.
In my honest opinion, giving this thread another last chance is more than it deserves after yesterday, but for some like Andrea who more than likely would've gone down with the FrigateOrpheonship, I'm glad you reconsidered. The social thread and official character discussion thread (more-so the former) were just a turnoff for her after I tried showing her other options last night when this was still locked. D: Like someone else said too, it's a scary world out there far as Ridley detractors go compared to the ones we usually get in here.

The thing is, does Sakurai aknowledge those 3 are considered the biggest requests?
Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't, and mostly only acknowledged the biggest requests as like the 3rd party ones. In other words, Sonic, Megaman, and Pac-Man being what Sakurai saw as the "big 3" in terms of requests, as opposed to what we all see the big 3 as (Ridley, Mewtwo, K. Rool/Dixie).

Also Meta Ridley as an alt would only make sense if the default Ridley appearance looked similar to Meta Ridley's. I mean, they could always modify them a little so they have the same hitbox, but I think it'd be a lot of unnecessary work.
You say Ridley or Roidley having Meta-Ridley as an alt would have to make sense (or wouldn't work because it wouldn't make sense), when we've had this before?

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

It wouldn't be the first time that Smash has taken liberties with alternate costumes. So a metallic costume on the Other M Ridley could work.

As far as I know, there's no completely different models for characters outside of the Wii Fit trainers. Just alts that have a lot of effort put into them. But the models are more or less the same.

From what we've seen, it's most likely Other M Ridley we'll be seeing. Regardless of whether or not if he's even playable, we saw the white spike on his tail. So there's no doubt that'll be the version of Ridley in Smash 4.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
"Too Big"
"...and then, there would be silence."
Can't have silence when you are internet argumenting.

It wouldn't be the first time that Smash has taken liberties with alternate costumes. So a metallic costume on the Other M Ridley could work.

From what we've seen, it's most likely Other M Ridley we'll be seeing. Regardless of whether or not if he's even playable, we saw the white spike on his tail. So there's no doubt that'll be the version of Ridley in Smash 4.
I guess that's fair enough. I'd like to see that actually. The mechanical duckbill. Truly a fearsome title for a fearsome duckbill.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484

The fact that everything seems to be dedicated to Other M further supports this. I personally hope it's not completely the Other M model. I mean, there are parts of Otherley that I like, but the face is just awful. A mix of different Ridleys would be nice.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well that was a palette swap. We're talking alts. Completely new models. It would be easier if the base was similar.
Ah. Well based on what we've had before, I'm of the belief that if we get Meta-Ridley as an alt in any shape or form, it would just be Roidley having Meta's colors or something like that without really changing the model much, but I'll take whatever we get in the form of playable Ridley.

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
Ah. Well based on what we've had before, I'm of the belief that if we get Meta-Ridley as an alt in any shape or form, it would just be Roidley having Meta's colors or something like that without really changing the model much, but I'll take whatever we get in the form of playable Ridley.
Or they could just pull a MetalGreymon and slap a metallic helmet on him. It worked for Bandai and Digimon so why not?

Top Bottom