• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You know I don't see why or how this new bit of info is affecting anyone's opinion on Ridley's chances.
It's essentially "An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second!" and the Smash Direct disconfirmation at the same time.

Anyone who believed he's playable before should now, and vice versa.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
You know I don't see why or how this new bit of info is affecting anyone's opinion on Ridley's chances.
It's essentially "An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second!" and the Smash Direct disconfirmation at the same time.

...Is that from a supporter or detractor standpoint? I'm confused by your wording. =/

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
...Is that from a supporter or detractor standpoint? I'm confused by your wording. =/
It's from a neutral standpoint. I have no reason to support Ridley personally, having no connection, and I wouldn't dare associate myself with detractors.

The point I am making is, this changes nothing.

LOGIA666

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure this is obvious, but

Something for everyone to think about:

All I'm saying is that it's been exactly one year and four days since Pyroshpere was revealed via Pic of the Day, and in all that time, we've yet to see a physical Ridley, or see/hear his name from Sakurai.

Just think about that. He's either a playable character, or the world's greatest, hypest stage hazard.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord

Well, assuming the magazine did have some info or something to that effect, they suggested that while the Pyrosphere layout is simple, there's an unknown gimmick that makes fighting on the stage not so simple. If this bit of information is accurate, then the idea that it's a simple neutral Metroid stage is debunked. So 3 guesses on what the stage's gimmicks could be.

But there isn't really any point in discussing it any further. It's tiring because people either:

A: Take it as complete disconfirmation or

B: Are so set in their way of thinking that they refuse to even entertain the idea that Ridley is a boss.

It's like watching preschoolers fight. And the preschoolers don't have arms. Just a bunch of futile back-and-forths and nobody listens, people get upset, etc.

/cynicism

Sorry in advance if you guys think I'm painting with broad strokes. More tired of this than anything.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Can I have a good drawing of Ridley with flat lines, Super-Metroid style, and no pupils?
Preferable by @SchAlternate or @AndreaAC ?

Sorry in advance if you guys think I'm painting with broad strokes. More tired of this than anything.
No, it's all true.
Fortunately, I believe he is playable as a direct result of the evidence here.
Of course, that is clearly the Prime/SM variant, while the boss hazard must be Roidley.

Thor_Hammerschlag

Smash Cadet
It's true that much of what makes Ridley an excellent character choice for Smash now could have applied to Brawl as well. Clearly, things didn't end well that time, and perhaps Ridley should have been included in that game. However, I believe this is where my point comes into play. Demand for Ridley has reached an all-time high, and unlike in Brawl, Sakurai has been teasing us with Ridley, putting him in plain sight yet keeping him far out of view. I think there is no way Sakurai is unaware of Ridley's popularity, demand, and controversy, so the fact that he's toying with us using such a popular character leads me to believe that there is more to this whole thing than meets the eye.

Basically, this isn't Brawl; the situation is different, and there is more reason to include Ridley and more evidence suggesting that he's in (plus there's no Subspace Emissary taking up an unnecessary amount of development time).

Yea, indeed thats the point.
You are right about the situation being different than in brawl times.

Ridley does have better chances. But for some reason - like many others here in this thread - i cant "trust" Sakurai always. He is a troll, he showed that many times.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Oh my lawd I missed something here. I'll just not be a part of it and say I can't sleep because my head is racing because I'm thinking of possible Ridley trailers. I'm having one of those crazy thinking nights.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm sure this is obvious, but

Something for everyone to think about:

All I'm saying is that it's been exactly one year and four days since Pyroshpere was revealed via Pic of the Day, and in all that time, we've yet to see a physical Ridley, or see/hear his name from Sakurai.

Just think about that. He's either a playable character, or the world's greatest, hypest stage hazard.
He must just be a fantastic magician.

Or a ninja. Ninja Ridley. He's always there, but you never see him. Until it's too late.

I want a drawing of ninja Ridley now.

TKraix

Smash Rookie
well i only wanted to say that i support Ridley since 2011 and i am happy to be a part of the supporters community. I am following this thread a long time and sometimes i posted something (not really special, only my thoughts to specific topics). But i never really said that i would be a Ridley supporter. I just wanted to clarify it for myselve (if Ridley gets announced) that i was a supporter on this famous Ridley thread :) . I love this thread because when i read those posts people give me hope for my most wanted character to be in Smash 4. I really hope he gets announced very very soon because we all deserve this victory after this long and hard journey...
You guys have my full support :)

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Of course since this is the Ridley thread and I'm arguing that Ridley's inclusion is unlikely, people who fire back with aggression that is infraction-worthy don't get touched.
Except it did get warned.

Excuse me for taking a bit longer with my daily patrols amongst the same stuff going on everywhere else on the site.

For the record, you could always report the post to speed up the process.

You know, I will take my warning with dignity because I said something offensive, and I did it willingly and assertively. I deserved it.

However, it's likely that when I say "I told you so" it will be in the form of elegantly worded posts using logic and facts that are on the table, so it won't really be trolling.

It's still going to get infracted. Trolling or not (I think this was poor wording on Tryphen's part), posting simply for the sake of antagonizing people (whether because you were "right" all along, schadenfreude, or any other grudge) or otherwise just telling people off after a character is disconfirmed (this includes posts like "Good, I didn't like the character/fanbase, I like them better as ___," and so on) is prohibited in any character thread. The mods will frequently post reminders of this, so if you still choose to ignore it for similar reasons (tell yourself whatever you want, there's no such thing as taking a warning with dignity), then obvious results will ensue.

I think the real burning question is...why are you deaf to all reasons he may not be?
Why do you keep returning if you are not expecting any different? The vocal/loud few that don't argue/"listen to reason" (or claim there's no chance he isn't in) are not indicative of the majority of us, much less those of us who are actually pessimistic or accept the distinct reality that this is all for naught. Generalizing us based off those you don't like comes off very poorly, especially when you're frequently calling us things such as "deaf/blind to reason," when in reality we're just tired of your repetitive shtick.

If you're so sure/confident that you're right, then why bother posting/debating? That's the "real burning question" to the rest of us.

I have nothing against you otherwise. Just quit playing victim/insisting the entirety of this "mob" can't listen to reason without expecting us to take it the wrong way.
Stop spamming, seriously.
My sentiments exactly.

@ Blackflamedragon Blackflamedragon - Please stop posting one liner (sometimes even one word) posts that have little-to-nothing to do with the topic. This means replying to people who weren't speaking with you (just pointing out you "read" the post/are here too), posting random/borderline spam queries, and of course, double posting.

If you have nothing significant to contribute, then don't post just to pass the time/just for the sake of posting.

No.

Ignoring those whom you disagree with accomplishes nothing. Yes, in the beginning Zipzo was borderline flamebaiting, but just straight up ignoring him, especially now when he's trying to present his arguments better, will only make it worse.
Ignoring in the sense to add them to their ignored users/using the "Ignore" button most certainly does not "accomplish nothing." If a user is bothering you and you don't want to listen to them anymore, then by all means ignore them.

This isn't a Ridley circlejerk thread. At least, it's not supposed to be. Let Zipzo say what he wants as long as he continues to be more respectible then when he first entered here.
This however I agree with. Just because you don't agree with someone doesn't mean they should be silenced, so long as they obviously aren't breaking the rules. Additionally, you don't HAVE to participate in the current discussion/conversation. If you don't like it, then bring up a new one peaceably, don't just shove "EVERYONE MOVE ON/STOP FEEDING THE TROLL" down our throats.

Hilariously enough, you simply telling to "ignore him" is less on topic and more spam then his detracting/dissenting posts.
Eh, there's a fine line. I do agree that if it's to the extent that "IGNORE HIM" takes precedent over actual on-topic discussion, then it is just as bad, if not worse than posts that are disagreeing with the notion/purpose of the thread, but at the very least manage to do so in an articulate/logical and calm manner.

tl;dr - If you're going to say ignore them, do so/just leave it at that. Don't spout out "OH MAN THIS TROLL AGAIN, EVERYBODY IGNORE HIM THERE'S NO POINT," etc. etc.

As an example, this is okay:

...Hey, guess what, guys? WE HAVE AN IGNORE BUTTON. I suggest using it. :facepalm:
These, however, are not:

If someone is so maliciously ignorant as to come in here time and again with the same tired argument despite every past attempt going the same way, there's nothing else for it. Ignore him. Full stop.
Hence maliciously ignorant. Or, possibly, just insane, the definition in use being "does the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
Hey, guys? I thought we decided his bad and blatantly wrong opinions would be Ignored?
Repeatedly pointing out "Bad opinions/ignorance" is considered borderline flaming. If you have that much of a problem with a post, report it. Plain and simple. And as I said above, actually IGNORE it when you say you're going to ignore it. Bringing it up over and over again that you're ignoring someone because of their bad arguments and telling others to follow your actions =/= ignoring.

Lol I love trolls like you. Basically everything said by you guys is basically "I HAVE THE SUPERIOR INTELLECT ALL I SAY IS CORRECT NO ONE CAN BE RIGHT UNLESS THEY AGREE WITH ME YOUR EVIDENCE IS ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH CAUSE I SAY SO BLAH BLAH BLAH". It just kinda makes me giggle
This is another example of what not to do.

Calling people out for being trolls (much less mocking their posts/reasoning) is grounds for flaming warnings. Don't do that. If anything, it's making the rest of us look worse in the eyes of other, non-supporters, and perpetuates the "Rabid Ridley*** fanboy" stereotype.

Well looks like another argument is about to start. I have had enough arguing for a year.
So I am going to be here eating my popcorn and wait till it starts.
You had to use the word nuclear when someone with godzilla as their avatar here?
I am just going to pretend I never read it.
If you're not going to both to read, argue, or really do anything relevant to what's going on in the discussion, then DON'T POST.

The majority of anybody's post should not be comprised of "didn't read/didn't argue, here we go again, pretending I didn't read that" etc.

I don't understand how the Ridley thread almost exclusively has a problem with detractors. I don't want Krystal anywhere near smash but I don't terrorize and bait her fans.
It's hardly exclusive. I mod/watch the Krystal thread frequently, and they have their fair share of ("faithful/regular") detractors. too.

If NOBODY else was added to the current roster, then it would still be an instabuy. Even without K. Rool or Ness.
Good for you? What does that matter to anyone in the Ridley thread?

-

Don't think I come here wanting to be srsbusiness/hype-killer McMod, guys. As I've said numerous times, I don't want to see this thread closed, no have to be the one to close it. We're getting close to release, so I understand the influx of activity/new faces/detractors. But that doesn't excuse everybody letting the hype/hate or any other thing cause a general decrease in quality for the posts in this thread. All the examples above apply to everyone.

Report, stay on topic, don't be a ****head/poster, don't attack people for having different opinions (nor do **** like swarming/criticizing people like @Genesect for "signing up just to post" what he thought was true/the case), don't drink the water, yadda yadda.

Ridley for Smash Brothers For Wii U/3DS, Ridley forever/for life/too big to fail, etc. etc..

If he's not playable, oh well, it was still a hell of a ride.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
Yikes, this thread might hit 2k before reveal seeing as how hot of Brinstar flames each post is these days :>
Anyway.. We're nearing -THE- week, this should be -THE- week. Else its weak, and we don't like that. My personal thought is that it will be either this week or the beginning of the next if we go by metroid releases.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
View attachment 22802
This is what would happen if Roidley used the Tanooki leaf....and if you wonder where is Ridley, he decided to remain hidden....because of shame...
Actually, Here's how it happened

Ridley: :glare:"Hey, Other Me"
Roidley: "Yes Big Bro"
Ridley: "For the millionth time, :mad:I AM NOT YOUR BROTHER...Now look at this"

*Ridley hands out a tanooki leaf*

Roidley: :confused:"What is this maple leaf?"
Ridley: "Use it...you might get surprised"

*Roidley uses the tanooki leaf....Racoon Ears and tail appear on Roidley*

Roidley: :joyful:"WOW, THIS IS AWESOME. I have cat ears and a long fluffy tail"
Ridley: "Now how about a little game?"
Roidley::joyful:" Yippie, Big Bro will play with me"
Ridley:" :facepalm: I AM NOT YOUR----y'know I give up...Anyways, I DARE you to catch that soft fluffy tail"
Roidley: :joyful:"ALRIGHT!"

*Roidley tries to catch the tanooki tail*

Roidley: :joyful:"MWAHAHAHAHA! I'M GONNA GET YOU"
Ridley: :smirk: [[That should keep him busy for a while...and by "a while" I mean for a month or so.]]

THE END

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Since the music came out on the Smash site I was thinking what music we'd get for Pyrosphere, I think Vs. Ridley would be one, but I'm not that much into Metroid music to know other possible tracks (only Metroid music I like is the fanfare). Though just like the boss characters will appear on other stages statement (along with the shadow), I think if Vs. Ridley does make it's way to the Smash site before we learn the fate of the mighty space dragon, some people might see it as more proof of Ridley being a stage boss (based on the name).

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Since the music came out on the Smash site I was thinking what music we'd get for Pyrosphere, I think Vs. Ridley would be one, but I'm not that much into Metroid music to know other possible tracks (only Metroid music I like is the fanfare). Though just like the boss characters will appear on other stages statement (along with the shadow), I think if Vs. Ridley does make it's way to the Smash site before we learn the fate of the mighty space dragon, some people might see it as more proof of Ridley being a stage boss (based on the name).
Hehe. Perfect. That means more people to surprise with a reveal.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
If I saw Ridley's theme in the smash music I'm not sure what I'd think of it honestly, On one hand Sakurai finally said Ridley's name, but I view that as more of a deconfirmation than increasing his chance to get in (I think we'd hear V.S Ridley during his trailer first). I forget, was Palutena's name said before her confirmation (not counting Palutena's Temple)?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Metroid does have several great pieces and Ridley's theme is fairly similar to the self destruct sequence music. One other great piece has to be the cool Rundas Theme. Magmoor Caverns is another personal favourite of mine. Having either one of those on Pyrosphere (or any other new Metroid stage if there's any) would be great. Having both would be awesome.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
Metroid does have several great pieces and Ridley's theme is fairly similar to the self destruct sequence music. One other great piece has to be the cool Rundas Theme. Magmoor Caverns is another personal favourite of mine. Having either one of those on Pyrosphere (or any other new Metroid stage if there's any) would be great. Having both would be awesome.
Magmoor caverns is just a remix of Lower Norfair, but it is indeed an awesome theme!

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
There is definitely going to be Ridley's Theme from Other M, which is the only memorable musical piece that game has. I don't see the devs arranging a new theme for him having so many to choose from, I wouldn't expect Ridley's theme to appear in the music section of the main site.
Since Pyrosphere looks like is the only new Metroid stage (so far) I can see it having a obligatory new Brinstar arrangement, or a collection of boss battle themes. Also I remember hearing the Theme of Samus Aran from the Norfair stage in the April direc (which personally doesnt bode too well since it could mean that one is going to be the retro stage)

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
View attachment 22857 This is all part of Sakurai's master plan. The closer to release Ridley is revealed, the more hype there'll be!
If it's too close to the release though it won't be as impactful because the release in itself would generate hype, if it's to find out what's in the complete game, or people just getting their hands on it and playing. So if we do get a direct any time soon it has to be next week.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
If it's too close to the release though it won't be as impactful because the release in itself would generate hype, if it's to find out what's in the complete game, or people just getting their hands on it and playing. So if we do get a direct any time soon it has to be next week.
Hopefully not on wednesday or only when it is past 14 am over here. I REALLY do not want to miss a direct that might reveal Ridley - and at 11:25 i got an oral exam in linear algebra to finish my semester of studying computer science in the city. And it will take a while to be done with that and come back... I swear f i come back and see Ridley in the playabvle character-section and only then be able to see the trailer I'll be extremely annoyed X)

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Come on Nintendo, announce a Nintendo direct that'll take place on at least Friday or Thursday, and let it confirm Ridley (and another newcomer)...

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Here's how I'm picturing the reveal trailer now:

> Samus is on Pyrosphere
> She's battling Ganondorf
> *Ganondorf splash screen*
> Suddenly, a shadow covers them both
> They stand still, silent
> It's Ridley
> Samus and Ganondorf stand motionless, Ridley looms large
> But who's this in to save them?
> It is, it's Duck Hunt Dog
> *Duck Hunt Dog splash screen*
> Clips of all 3 battling Ridley
> Trailer ends
> Nintendo are later forced to confirm that Ridley is indeed a stage hazard
> ...and they seem stunned that people aren't impressed

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I was told by my dad's second cousin's uncle's grandpa's nephew's step sister that we are getting a direct this week.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Here's how I'm picturing the reveal trailer now:

> Samus is on Pyrosphere
> She's battling Ganondorf
> *Ganondorf splash screen*
> Suddenly, a shadow covers them both
> They stand still, silent
> It's Ridley
> Samus and Ganondorf stand motionless, Ridley looms large
> But who's this in to save them?
> It is, it's Duck Hunt Dog
> *Duck Hunt Dog splash screen*
> Clips of all 3 battling Ridley
> Trailer ends
> Nintendo are later forced to confirm that Ridley is indeed a stage hazard
> ...and they seem stunned that people aren't impressed
Veterans don't have splash screens unless it's a special case (like Charizard being alone), so this is fake! Ridley will be playable!

I was told by my dad's second cousin's uncle's grandpa's nephew's step sister that we are getting a direct this week.
Funny. My mom's third cousin's aunt's grandma's niece's step brother told me the same thing :O

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Veterans don't have splash screens unless it's a special case (like Charizard being alone), so this is fake! Ridley will be playable!
Well Ganondorf could be revamped to use a sword (or two) which we could see happening in the trailer and explain him getting splash text. I believe Yoshi got one and his change was standing up right which affected his speed or something.

EDIT: Otherwise the only issue is the fact Ridley doesn't get splash text and is a stage hazard.

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Forgot to mention, in this hypothetical it's a revamped Ganondorf. They heard our concerns about Falcondorf and instead made him a Marth clone to fit with the "all Fire Emblem" vibe of Smash 4.

I just realized that most of new character reveal trailers involve with the original 8 veterans
ex: Mario got caught by Villager in Villager's trailer
Mario, Link, and Kirby were owned by Wii fir trainer
Mario, Kirby, DK, and Link got burned by Megaman
Kirby got blasted by Rosalina's Luma
Samus got punched away by Little Mac's punch
Link got owned by Palutena
Pickachu stand next to Chartizard during Greninja's reveal
Captain Falcon showed up in Fire Emblem reveal

so, I would think next reveal would involve with remaining veterans of 64

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Forgot to mention, in this hypothetical it's a revamped Ganondorf. They heard our concerns about Falcondorf and instead made him a Marth clone to fit with the "all Fire Emblem" vibe of Smash 4.
Ganon is a King K. Ridley clone
Ridley is a charizard clone.

I just realized that most of new character reveal trailers involve with the original 8 veterans
ex: Mario got caught by Villager in Villager's trailer
Mario, Link, and Kirby were owned by Wii fir trainer
Mario, Kirby, DK, and Link got burned by Megaman
Kirby got blasted by Rosalina's Luma
Samus got punched away by Little Mac's punch
Link got owned by Palutena
Pickachu stand next to Chartizard during Greninja's reveal
Captain Falcon showed up in Fire Emblem reveal

so, I would think next reveal would involve with remaining veterans of 64
And earthbound has an anniversary in august! Just like with Fire emblem/f zero
OH MY GOSH RIDLEY/NESS TRAILER.

Last edited: