• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
If Ridley is going to be revealed before release I think this is the best week to do it. I'd wager Sakurai would want to discuss Ridley (or any newcomer shown off) through some pics of the day prior to release. He'd probably want to avoid the game having its street date broken and leaks getting out. So one week to avoid broken street date, and one week to discuss the newcomer in pics of the day. That leaves this week as most sensible time for a direct.

That or I'm an idiot for trying to think of what Sakurai will do and we'll get item/stage/how to play pics of the day up til release.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Well Ganondorf could be revamped to use a sword (or two) which we could see happening in the trailer and explain him getting splash text. I believe Yoshi got one and his change was standing up right which affected his speed or something.

EDIT: Otherwise the only issue is the fact Ridley doesn't get splash text and is a stage hazard.
Yoshi was revealed during the smash direct but it wasn't really a trailer

Ganon is a King K. Ridley clone
Ridley is a charizard clone.

And earthbound has an anniversary in august! Just like with Fire emblem/f zero
OH MY GOSH RIDLEY/NESS TRAILER.
What I would think is that Fox takes a ride on Yoshi's back to investigate something on the Dinosaur Planet, and then that there
are no dinosaurs in the cave but RIDLEY!!!!!!!!!!! (p.s it is a reference to Fox's Adventure on Gamecube)

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
If Ridley is going to be revealed before release I think this is the best week to do it. I'd wager Sakurai would want to discuss Ridley (or any newcomer shown off) through some pics of the day prior to release. He'd probably want to avoid the game having its street date broken and leaks getting out. So one week to avoid broken street date, and one week to discuss the newcomer in pics of the day. That leaves this week as most sensible time for a direct.

That or I'm an idiot for trying to think of what Sakurai will do and we'll get item/stage/how to play pics of the day up til release.
It's best not to predict Sakurai. Shulk fans know all too well after the Robin/Lucina/Cap Falcon trailer despite everything pretty much pointing to a Shulk reveal (Monolith's retweet and Shulk's VA). For all we know he'll give us Shulk despite this week being rather Metroid heavy which would be perfect for a Ridley trailer.

Yoshi was revealed during the smash direct but it wasn't really a trailer
Yeah. I meant more that he got a splash text after Sakurai was like "BTW here's Yoshi. he's been changed a bit"

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Whoop!
All I have to do now is draw the rest of Samus' body, and unshade Roidley's head. Then, colour time!!!
Also, I'm so happy I'm good at fingers. A lot of people seem to struggle with them but I like drawing them. Well, they aren't bent here so I guess it's cheating, but eh.

Dracandros

Smash Cadet
I don't know about any of you, but I certainly wouldn't take a Ridley disconfirmation lying down now. Sakurai would have done considerable marketing damage to Ridley and the Metroid franchise and I don't see that as being acceptable. I thought Nintendo was trying to move away from their past marketing mistakes, not stick their rear ends into a new fire (even though Sakurai is pretty much calling all the shots).

The time to disconfirm Ridley in a PotD is pretty much over. In a few days they will have two weeks left (barring a delay) before the game is officially out and we still have no word about a 3DS demo for any country. There is almost certainly going to be something this week as we probably don't have all of the starters anyway.

Let's see and I still like Ridley's chances. :D

Blackflamedragon

Smash Apprentice
Ridleys physical body form would not properly work with charazard move set
I mean that he may have some similarity such as his claws,bite,and tail strike

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Ganon is a King K. Ridley clone
Ridley is a charizard clone.

And earthbound has an anniversary in august! Just like with Fire emblem/f zero
OH MY GOSH RIDLEY/NESS TRAILER.
I said it once quite some pages back, but a Ness/Ridley trailer would be sick. My third favorite with the upcoming and hypest attraction to Smash in the same trailer. A PSI-powered 13 year old vs. the Leader of the Space Pirates himself, the Big Wrecking Machine, the Humongous Ferocity, the Monster in Purple, you know him, you love him, it's Ridley!
Ridley makes his Big Debut!!

Last edited:

Blackflamedragon

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
I said it once quite some pages back, but a Ness/Ridley trailer would be sick. My third favorite with the upcoming and hypest attraction to Smash in the same trailer. A PSI-powered 13 year old vs. the Leader of the Space Pirates himself, the Big Wrecking Machine, the Humongous Ferocity, the Monster in Purple, you know him, you love him, it's Ridley!
Ridley makes his Big Debut!!
Ridley strikes back

What if shulk and ridley were revealed at the same time

Last edited by a moderator:

CJReynz1492

Smash Rookie
Maybe they don't feel the need to clarify because it's obvious?

It was pretty clear as day to me that he was teased as a stage boss, not a playable character.

I don't see any reason to clarify anything. It was clear as day from the moment they showed him.
You know what was also clear as day? Toon Link's deconfirmation when he was seen conducting the train on spirit tracks, which we all know how that turned out.

You clearly don't understand how Sakurai works yet, making you prime [hehe pun intended] troll bait for him.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
PAPERLY FINISHED!!!!!
image.jpg

I think the size and everything came out nicely (It's also what I expect his playable size to be)
Thoughts?
(When he gets revealed I'll go back and edit it depending on his final design, regardless if he's playable or hazard)

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about any of you, but I certainly wouldn't take a Ridley disconfirmation lying down now. Sakurai would have done considerable marketing damage to Ridley and the Metroid franchise and I don't see that as being acceptable. I thought Nintendo was trying to move away from their past marketing mistakes, not stick their rear ends into a new fire (even though Sakurai is pretty much calling all the shots).

The time to disconfirm Ridley in a PotD is pretty much over. In a few days they will have two weeks left (barring a delay) before the game is officially out and we still have no word about a 3DS demo for any country. There is almost certainly going to be something this week as we probably don't have all of the starters anyway.

Let's see and I still like Ridley's chances. :D
posts like this really Amoy me, like don't be such a baby. If Ridley isn't in the game then that's too bad. But it's no reason to riot

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Heyy, who wants to help me guess Ridley's size?

Let's use lil' Samus as a unit of measure. Ain't she a cutie?

Now, would you say Lil' Samus goes up to her adult counterpart's knee, or waist?

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
whew, glad I missed that earlier ****storm
Heyy, who wants to help me guess Ridley's size?

Let's use lil' Samus as a unit of measure. Ain't she a cutie?

Now, would you say Lil' Samus goes up to her adult counterpart's knee, or waist?
We've never really had any decent direct comparison between Samus as a child and Samus as an adult, but even just comparing the 2 Ridleys is enough to see that the trailer version is a lot smaller (the first is crouching down and slightly towards the background and still almost reaches the height of trailer Ridley who is standing).
Though yeah i dunno, maybe the knee?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

You know what was also clear as day? Toon Link's deconfirmation when he was seen conducting the train on spirit tracks, which we all know how that turned out.

You clearly don't understand how Sakurai works yet, making you prime [hehe pun intended] troll bait for him.
I guess we'll find out who really got trolled in a couple of weeks. If you want you can be on my stream on the JP release and watch me unlock him in real time, and if I do, I will eat leather from my shoe.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I had a dream last night that Sakurai announced Ridley as a boss.
But then showed him off being playable....
Is this a good or bad thing?

Zygard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0533-4990-1418
I guess we'll find out who really got trolled in a couple of weeks. If you want you can be on my stream on the JP release and watch me unlock him in real time, and if I do, I will eat leather from my shoe.
whats the name of your stream? I would actually really like watching your stream with or without leather eating

Dracandros

Smash Cadet
posts like this really Amoy me, like don't be such a baby. If Ridley isn't in the game then that's too bad. But it's no reason to riot
I don't think that's the way to approach it at all.

The content of the game isn't going to change practically at all whether he is in or not.

The fact that a company couldn't deliver on all hopes and dreams isn't an issue either because it's expected and it happens.

Their conduct if Ridley is not in the game is not professional, not considerate, and does not help the overall franchise in any way. You don't riot to show that you dislike something anyway - you handle things with professionalism and allow for everyone to be heard in a civil manner. What I'm not going to do is do nothing because they do listen to feedback and criticism.

EDIT: I mean playable when I say "in the game". My bad. We have to wait and see anyway.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

whats the name of your stream? I would actually really like watching your stream with or without leather eating
The announcement thread is here.

My twitch channel is found in that thread (which could use a bump :))but if you want a shortcut it is found here.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that's the way to approach it at all.

The content of the game isn't going to change practically at all whether he is in or not.

The fact that a company couldn't deliver on all hopes and dreams isn't an issue either because it's expected and it happens.

Their conduct if Ridley is not in the game is not professional, not considerate, and does not help the overall franchise in any way. You don't riot to show that you dislike something anyway - you handle things with professionalism and allow for everyone to be heard in a civil manner. What I'm not going to do is do nothing because they do listen to feedback and criticism.

EDIT: I mean playable when I say "in the game". My bad. We have to wait and see anyway.

I agree with this to be honest. They haven't treated Ridley or Metroid fans like any other franchise or fanbase with Smash 4. Not other character has been hinted at for over a year and not specifically talked about. No other heavily requested character has had mere allusions to their inclusion without being completely shown and deconfirmed. If Ridley is a mere boss then they've gone out of their way to string people along for no reason, when everything else was dealt with directly.

Obviously complaining won't do much if anything, but I won't bend over and happily take it either. I'll send them an email explaining how poorly I feel they handed Ridley and it's ramifications regarding marketing. If the roster doesn't have something on it that makes me want to buy the game, if there's nonsensical cuts, and if there's unneeded clones? There may be no point in me buying it at all. Granted it wouldn't just be lack of Ridley that would have me not buying it, but it'd be one of the straws for sure.

If he is just a boss they should showed him fully doing boss things by now. Pic of the day, in a direct, anything. Because as is it's just being a huge tease for no reason when no other fanbase was treated this way. It's not entitlement to want to be treated honestly and like every other potential consumer.

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
I'm scared about the CCS 3DS leak, everyone is assuming it's the FINAL roster, but why ?
I just cant decide if I believe this leak or not, I just don't want it to be final
Ridley has to be playable,but right now I'm just scared he doesn't meke it :/

CJReynz1492

Smash Rookie
The announcement thread is here.

My twitch channel is found in that thread (which could use a bump :))but if you want a shortcut it is found here.

Wait so you're co-hosting it with relax alax? That's pretty sweet dude, have fun with that. I'm unsure if I want to watch it in real time though due to the fact that I'd like to play the game with virgin eyes, but I'll probably check it out after the October release. (Sorry I had to get rid of your links because I'm a noob here and can't post or repost links till I have 10 posts lol)

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I'm scared about the CCS 3DS leak, everyone is assuming it's the FINAL roster, but why ?
I just cant decide if I believe this leak or not, I just don't want it to be final
Actually, this leak will improve Ridley's chance if it's real.
It has a connection with the Ninka leak, which said that Ridley will be playable.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Even if it is real (which it isn't) There's clearly about 5 spots left for characters so ridley could be in regardless of whether it's real or not
Based on what we've analyzed from the shadow, either Roidley, concept artley, or a new hybrid design unique to Smash 4.
I think a hyrbird is very possible at this point, they did it with zero suit samus so why not? And considering how many people hate roidley it would satisfy everyone (except for people that didn't want him in)

Last edited:

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
I've never understood why people have said, "Ridley's too big for Smash!!". He's the most important Metroid character next to Samus and is a very iconic villain who has appeared in almost every single Metroid game to date. He should be playable just to shut up the naysayers and so Metroid can finally have a real 2nd rep. This thread will expand to another 1000 pages if he isn't playable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom