• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Yes, that is what it meant. The stage, physically, is simple, but details of the gimmick are unknown. : )

I am not really too confident in my own abilities, but both @Hong and @Venus of the Desert Bloom have verified earlier translations I have done regarding Famitsu pages, if that helps at all. Of course, fluency is always the best to turn to, but I do not want to trouble him with more than he likely already has to deal with...
Thanks for your input.

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
I just thought of something. Sometimes Doesn't Sakurai use original designs? If he does then that could bring up the possibility of a brand new design for Ridley. Just a thought though... probably won't happen, but it would be cool.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Meh, I don't believe it meant "Stage Hazardley". By the time that magazine was printed, there's no way in the underworld :4pit: that Ridley's role as a stage hazard is still vague. Ridley should have been WAY pass completed and implemented as a hazard and posted information about his role. I believe with the alluding of saying his name, like Sakurai has refused to do as well, makes me think Stage Hazardley isn't a thing, instead the opposite, as a playable Ridley.
I know it's possible that they (Nintendo Dream or whatever) may not know anymore than us on the matter currently, and were just saying what was already gathered from the direct, but I can't help but get a bad feeling about it still, with the way they alluded to Ridley was worded and all.

Ever since Pyrosphere and especially the shadow I've just never been as optimistic about his inclusion on the roster as most of you, so leave me be plz. :u I mean for all we know, Stage Hazardley's the real deal, and the vagueness/mystery to his status is just a marketing tactic until the game's release so they can use up and abuse our hype, then leave us at a point when our disappointment will just be overshadowed by the praise of everyone else whose just hyped and ready to play/buy the game on launch. Perfect way to help quell/diminish the backlash of any deconfirmation.

Another user here XKan posted their translation.
I've got a bad feeling...
See? I knew I couldn't be the only one. I'm not saying to give up on Ridley completely, but it's just that that I have now; a rather bad feeling.

Actually, that makes me feel pretty good. If the stage isn't that complicated, then its boss (assuming it has one) would have to be very simple. And why would you tease and build up a very simple boss, especially as that is a downgrade from the Ridley of old.
By "the Ridley of old", if you mean him in Brawl, even his boss fights there were really simple; Stage Hazardley wouldn't be anything new in that regard.

Not trying to invalidate your feelings on the matter though. In fact I sorta wish I had your kind of optimism again.

So I think what we can gather from this is that they know just as little as the rest of us regarding Pyrosphere. Which is odd, considering that we seem to know everything about all the other Wii U stages, and we've gotten some new pictures that we've never seen before in that magazine.

Seems to me that this is what we expected Corocoro magazine to cover earlier this month, only to be let down by their false hype.
I never really believed Corocoro after they claimed they were gonna do the same thing pre-Brawl, only to not deliver. Shame on those that did, despite being told of their bogus hype before.

And yeah, using classic/Brawl Ridley design on that "roster" kills any credibility. =(

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I just thought of something. Sometimes Doesn't Sakurai use original designs? If he does then that could bring up the possibility of a brand new design for Ridley. Just a thought though... probably won't happen, but it would be cool.
Oh, Hybridley's going to happen. The only question is how much Roidley's going to change.

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
What if(And hear me out) Sakurai redesigned this:

Sakurai's creative, he could redo this design or something. make it look better.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
You don't know that. Gannondorf in Brawl was Twilight Princess Ganon without the cape. No hybridism whatsoever.
Well, I do know that the wings are at least different. They're more traditionally batlike and have Concept Artley's ridges near the wing joint.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
What if(And hear me out) Sakurai redesigned this:

Sakurai's creative, he could redo this design or something. make it look better.
...I don't care if it's Sakurai it still wouldn't be the Ridley we all know and love
I'm pretty sure I mentioned how much I dislike that design just 2 pages ago

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
Game releases in 3 weeks and we don't even get to have a cool PotD on Friday uwu

@AndreaAC i haven't comented in any of your pics but i just wanted to grab the opportunity to say that they look so much awesome, i can't compare your Ridley Artworks with my silly anime drawing xD keep it up girl ;)

And well you guys... so close to the release of the game, the waiting will come to its end... hopefully after it happens our hype meters will blow up with Ridley announcement uwu

Cheers!

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Also, better tell you guys now.
I'm not really proud of it, but...
I used to be a Ridley detractor. :(
Same here. Let us sing a song of our troubled past, and our baptism to the cunning god of death, himself.

...Was the transformation as painful as mine?

HurricaneMarth

Smash Cadet
I had just joined smashboards now to say that I fully support the glorious space pirate commander!

Yay Ridley!

Zynux

Smash Lord
Another user here XKan posted their translation.
I've got a bad feeling...
I always harbored this "bad feeling".

I never bought that Pyrosphere was going to be a more neutral Metroid stage. Why is it so spacious and vast but with so few platforms?

One of the main reasons why I had low expectations to begin with. Yes, Ridley has been alluded to possibly more then any other character in the game but how that stage is designed always made me lose hope.

Hopefully we can get a confirmation on those translations :/

Master of Bones

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brandooooooooooo
3DS FC
2208-5435-4490
First Ridley matchup you'll do when the game comes out? I'm doing "Marth vs. Shadow Dragon" :)

EDIT: Playing as Playabley, of course. Diabolical purple space dragon > swordsman :p

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I always harbored this "bad feeling".

I never bought that Pyrosphere was going to be a more neutral Metroid stage. Why is it so spacious and vast but with so few platforms?

One of the main reasons why I had low expectations to begin with. Yes, Ridley has been alluded to possibly more then any other character in the game but how that stage is designed always made me lose hope.

Hopefully we can get a confirmation on those translations :/
Yeah, I think you and I are in the same boat. The platforms on the sides of the stage kinda make it look like they're used to reach something that's flying around the middle of the stage.

please don't crucify me for that

I would absolutely love for Pyrosphere to not have a gimmick and I've listened to countless arguments about why Ridley is playable. Some good, some bad but no matter what that bad feeling is hard to shake and my opinion hasn't really changed because of it.

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044

You'd think you could at least see a portion of the Metroid Emblem, you can barely see the others... Take with a grain heaping RIdley-sized salt.
I'm very impressed on how well it looks. All it's forgetting is the Player titles (P1 P2 etc.), and the 3DS interface at the bottom such as the time, and internet signal.

Still, I'm very impressed in his work with the Ridley artwork. :)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Welp.

That article made me lose hope.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Sheeet, I go watch the entire season of Korra, come back, and something actually happened?

Fake leak that looks really cool, and a magazine section that covers pyrosphere but excludes Ridley which tells us exactly what Sakurai has been telling us for over a year?!?!! (By this I mean it tells us nothing at all >.>)

Still, hype is ramping up. Might not be a boring weekend afterall :shades:

Man, I can't wait to hear Ridley's theme in 3D.
3D hearing sounds like a super power

just saying

Last edited:

Master of Bones

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brandooooooooooo
3DS FC
2208-5435-4490
C'mon, guys. An article from people who apparently know as much or less about Ridley than we do is NOT something to sweat :)

EDIT: Greninja'd

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Honestly, the fact that they DON'T know anything about Ridley I think really says a lot. Makes me believe Sakurai really is hiding Ridley's playability, not that I didn't think that was the case in the first place. :p

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I am honestly starting to get more hopeful than not

If they're running a stage overview and not showing off it's boss...

I guess it isn't Nintendo coverage or anything, but I really need reasons to be hopeful xD

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Welp.

That article made me lose hope.
Perfectly normal; everyone has their down days where they think they've had an epiphany leaning towards one side of the debacle. Give it a few days and I'm sure your confidence will flip-flop again. :p
This is just more "hinting" at Ridley being a stage hazard, just like what has been done for the past year. If you can reason your way out of the Smash Direct clip, you can with this as well.

Wait, what? Why?

If they know he's a hazard, they would have straight-up said so.
No, they wouldn't.
Because, assuming Ridley is a hazard, it's a big thing that hasn't been officially revealed yet. They wouldn't let some random magazine reveal what, regardless of the outcome, has been purposefully left in the dark.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

PeterJude

Smash Ace
3D hearing sounds like a super power

just saying
3D hearing is actually normal. Thanks to having two years we're actually capable of discerning the origin of noises, much like how we can tell depth due to having 2 eyes. This is the reason surround sound is actually something vaguely worthwhile (if you have piles of cash). The hardware in our brains is amazing as well, the amount of processing that goes on for sounds is nothing short of stunning.

Sadly, I don't think we'll be hearing 3D Ridley until the Wii U ironically.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
3D hearing is actually normal. Thanks to having two years we're actually capable of discerning the origin of noises, much like how we can tell depth due to having 2 eyes. This is the reason surround sound is actually something vaguely worthwhile (if you have piles of cash). The hardware in our brains is amazing as well, the amount of processing that goes on for sounds is nothing short of stunning.

Oh, I know xD. I'm just saying, the way it was stated in the post I quoted made it sound almost supernatural.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
They don't I suppose, but the implication is unerving...

What are the other things?

A simple Palette swap isn't much.
A few new Mii hats and one or two new Kirby hats. Nothing too major.
I believe that's it. Granted, I didn't look through all of the scans. We don't have all the translations yet either, so there might be new information buried in all that text.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
It's been made stunningly clear that they don't like false speculation on possible newcomers when it comes from something they've posted. They stop the speculation in their track, and this is something that Nintendo are doing across the board, not just for Smash 4. If Ridley were not going to be playable, it's extremely unlikely they wouldn't have just revealed him as a boss after the speculation went into overdrive a year ago.

They even cleared up false speculation about the new Zelda game in terms of "is that link" after they initially seemingly put a bit of doubt on it. They always clear things up to prevent people getting into this silly hype cycle, then getting massively disappointed.

The article does make reference to the shadow, but it doesn't appear to have any special knowledge of the situation. It seems that they know exactly what we know.

Ridley may end up being a stage hazard boss, who knows, but it seems highly unlikely it'd drag on this long for a stage hazard.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
They aren't going to release any info they're not allowed to/don't know. They teased an unknown stage gimmick and alluded to Ridley's shadow. If Ridley is a stage hazard they're not going to reveal it whenever. They're going to reveal it when they feel like revealing it.
What are the other things?

A simple Palette swap isn't much
I believe they talk about character moves and give small details here and there. They also talk about other stages. Nothing megaton.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

Just going to comment that I hate mp3 because you loose so much sounds compared to wav and 3ds sound test being original quality portable is the best sound test ever.

But for Ridley thing, what's the article you're talking? It would need to refute my whole essay (actually, good luck to the person that has the energy to do it).

PeterJude

Smash Ace
A few new Mii hats and one or two new Kirby hats. Nothing too major.
I believe that's it. Granted, I didn't look through all of the scans. We don't have all the translations yet either, so there might be new information buried in all that text.
We could set about transcribing the text from the magazine to either put through an online translator, or get in an easier format for anyone on here who could do the translating. Might take a while though.

HurricaneMarth

Smash Cadet
To remind you all, ONLY AFTER Ridley's defeat, does the hole appear in the pyrosphere...The boss fight happens before the hole.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
There was a scan on the previous page. It said nothing we don't already know. Just referenced the shadow and the lack of pretty much anything going on for the stage.

To remind you all, ONLY AFTER Ridley's defeat, does the hole appear in the pyrosphere...The boss fight happens before the hole.
Please explain?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
There was a scan on the previous page. It said nothing we don't already know. Just referenced the shadow and the lack of pretty much anything going on for the stage.

Please explain?
Ridley makes that hole in the wall escaping after you beat him. He is never fought again in that game.

Top Bottom