• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
What I want to know is why is Ridley being teased so damn much. He isn't one of Sakurai's babies like KI and Kirby, and he's barely given the Metroid series very much representation outside of Samus and generic Space levels with the name Brinstar slapped on them.

It's really strange considering that he still hasn't outright disconfirmed him like the rest if he isn't playable.
As I said multiple time: fanbse.

Can we agree that the fanbase of him are VERY solid? Not to mention how much people this includes. So much debates, controversy and arguments that his situation is known by a lot.

Teasing him so much means that it was prepared for that much people to follow and that much determination to get it.

Tough, I found surprising why mine is almost a full month. Maybe it'll end soon?

Because for Ridley, I think it could be the latest as possible just to keep the hype.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
How are we all feeling about Ridley's chances right now? Good? Bad?
Pretty bad, honestly. In hindsight, I find myself wondering why I ever thought he'd be playable. Plus, given how... odd... Sakurai tends to act, that leak (Yeah, I know, I'm mentioning) reminds me that randumb characters may just be in it instead of flying reptile dragon.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but at this point I just want a third Metroid rep that ain't Anthony or Adam.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
So, what are we talking about now? Ridley's chances?
If so, I'd think at least 8.5/10 or 9/10.

Last edited:

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice
I think the thing that makes me most excited for Ridley is that the character concepts for newcomers are generally quite intelligent this time around. Brawl had a lot of... meh characters. Like squirtle, who felt like a character with a bunch of attacks and specials, but never felt truly... special. Rosalina is an awesome idea. A character that'll absolutely bend your mind, and hopefully, that of your opponents. Little Mac? A character designed to be an ideal ground-fighter, but with little-to-no aerial capability? And then there's Robin, who actually has smash attacks in the air. And his basic attacks run out, limited uses! These newcomers are changing what we know to be true.

I'm excited for Ridley because they won't just give him a moveset. This time around, they're giving characters roles. Not necessarily gimmicks but... ideas that change the way we play the game. And that is exciting, because a role for Ridley would be something unlike anything we've seen yet! I'm still hoping for the aerial grapples. Because whoa would that ever be a gamechanger!

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
I have a question: Which Ridley are you guys hyping on getting in? Other M? Super Metroid?

If I'm not mistaken, each one is a different clone correct? Which one is Brawl from?

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
If he's in, it's gonna be the Other M Ridley. In Canon, he was a clone. But it's like the Zelda series as far as I'm concerned, or Joker from Batman. He's more of an image than a historical figure.

I say Other M Ridley because the shadow in the direct looked like him, and his bulkier build would look a little less awkward if scaled down for Smash.

Guys I just brought up iTunes and discovered all my old downloaded Metroid Metal tracks

Man, it's so good, and the original NES Ridley theme remixed is DOOOPPPPEEEEE. Maybe MORE HYPE than the Super Metroid and beyond theme?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Did anyone see those Nintendo Dream scans, in which they had a little section on Pyrosphere and they never brought up Ridley appearing on the stage at all? And yet when they got to Dr. Wily's Castle, they went into detail about the Yellow Devil?

...Yeah.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Did anyone see those Nintendo Dream scans, in which they had a little section on Pyrosphere and they never brought up Ridley appearing on the stage at all? And yet when they got to Dr. Wily's Castle, they went into detail about the Yellow Devil?
http://i.imgur.com/mViJ1KR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fFuQWkp.jpg

...Yeah.
That's a good point. Frankly, I haven't seen huge discussions on these various 'stage bosses' other than Yellow Devil, so...

But here's a thought - Yellow devil as a stage boss is confirmed to explode and the explosion counts as a hit for the player who reduced his HP to 0. If that's how these stage bosses are going to work, I don't really see Ridley exploding, so that kind of puts doubt on the 'Ridley as a boss' theory. What if, though, the shadow and everything did show a boss, but that boss wasn't Ridley. I could imagine Meta-Ridley being the Pyrosphere boss, and being the generator of the mysterious shadow and then exploding on defeat.

Looking good for not-meta Ridley to be non-boss, then... so playable?

Last edited:

PacoTaco

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4312-9999-1091

...Yeah.
This makes sense but why would Sakurai let them reveal Ridley's fate through scans instead of a direct or a video. It makes sense what you are saying but that doesnt sound like Sakurai...

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
This makes sense but why would Sakurai let them reveal Ridley's fate through scans instead of a direct or a video. It makes sense what you are saying but that doesnt sound like Sakurai...
Because if Ridley's a stage hazard, he's just a mere element amongst the many, many hazards presents throughout the Wii U version. There's no point to hyping him up if you choose to avoid the stage he's present on, especially if it's only on one version of the game.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito

...Yeah.
I would say add this to second post, but it's already too late for that.

PacoTaco

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4312-9999-1091
Because if Ridley's a stage hazard, he's just a mere element amongst the many, many hazards presents throughout the Wii U version. There's no point to hyping him up if you choose to avoid the stage he's present on, especially if it's only on one version of the game.
Sakurai knows people want Ridley. He's known since Melee. I highly doubt that if Ridley turned out to be a stage hazard he would let them put it in there / let them reveal it and not him. I feel like if he is a boss or whatever Sakurai would just tell us in a direct. Just my opinion :colorful:

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
I have a question: Which Ridley are you guys hyping on getting in? Other M? Super Metroid?
i dont really care which ridley makes it in as long as he is in, though if i had to choose.....either super metroid or zero mission ridley design-wise

Last edited:

PacoTaco

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4312-9999-1091
Can Ridley be announced randomly please? Like on a weekend just to confuse everyone.

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044

...Yeah.
Can someone please tell me what the images are saying, or give me a direct link to the page? It ain't showing up for me.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker

...Yeah.
Didn't talk about Ridley while showing Pryosphere again huh?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
a show called MAD, one of their skits involved the best video game female and it was down to samus peach and zelda. in the photography section with villians, ridley (a small ridley) is chained down but escapes and attacks lakitu
http://youtu.be/VCD6yApBVkY?t=59s heres the scene with ridley
I realize the implications/how dumb it is, but I absolutely love that size comparison.

Is there any way we could... you know, tone it down on the pony stuff? Seems like a strange thing to ask in a "Ridley" thread of all things. Not against bronies or whatever but it's kinda irrelevant and it makes my friend (who wishes to remain anonymous) a little uncomfortable.
I hope I'm not coming across as rude.
Oh no, it wasn't the pony emotes. It was more the gigantic pony pictures that had happened several times in the past few pages. It doesn't make me uncomfortable, but I sorta empathize with those it does based on a few things.
Lately, it's been a trend where people get annoyed with brony-related things, become extremely offensive, and do all manner of things including yelling, trolling, what have you. This causes bronies to feel targeted and they often get defensive. I'm not advocating for either of those things. They derail the thread, make bronies (who have every right to like whatever fandom they wish) feel oppressed, and overall it's just a bad situation for everyone involved.

I was hoping by speaking up early that I'd get there before the people who are merciless against MLP ended up starting something, and there was a whole big unrelated debate about whether being a brony is "right or wrong", which happens soooooo much I'm just sick of seeing it. Anyone who's been on a forum in the past few years knows what I'm talking about. Check basically any youtube video and that debate is probably happening right now, haha.

So again, I hope you realize I'm not trying to be offensive. Or to state an opinion for or against bronies. Just don't want in-fighting on my favourite thread. This thread is so fricken awesome, haha. Seriously, I love you guys.
I can respect the stance and concerns. As this isn't a pony site nor thread, the issue shouldn't arise to begin with. However it's not getting any special treatment compared to other off topic image spam. The last thing I'd want is the situation you described, so I tend to spoiler what few images I do post. Makes it easier for people who aren't fans to ignore.

PeterJude

Smash Ace

...Yeah.
Oh no, they did bring up Ridley...

I'm Japanese not great, but I transcribed the text to put through a translator:

Land of lava wrapped in burning. It's a relatively simple stage and pedestal float, scaffolding smaller that some, but also information that saw the shadow of the "someone" mighty ...? Such as detailed gimmick is unknown yet, but the structure of the stage is not very complicated.
But yes, they most certainly allude to what has been said about him. I'm starting to think they may be hyping Ridley up as the greatest stage boss of all time. That said, they may know as little as us and have just chucked that in as they are a bit confused by the lack of anything to say about it. In which case it's neutral to this whole point.

I'm very curious if we have any native speakers who could give us a bit of context for this. Here's the text itself:

灼熱に包まれた溶岩の地。浮かぶ台座と、小さめの足場がいくつかという比較的シンプルなステージだが、強大な「何者か」の影を見たという情報も…?詳しい仕掛けなどは未だ不明だが、ステージの構造自体はそれほど複雑ではない。

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem

...Yeah.
IT'S HAPPENING!!!!

I have the urge to post this in kym to see what people will try to come up with to say he's still a boss.

Man, I'm so excited, I can't wait for that Trailer!

PeterJude

Smash Ace
IT'S HAPPENING!!!!

I have the urge to post this in kym to see what people will try to come up with to say he's still a boss.

Man, I'm so excited, I can't wait for that Trailer!
See above, they alluded to him, but it seems they have as little idea as us on that front.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
See above, they alluded to him, but it seems they have as little idea as us on that front.
As Lizardon said, there's no point hyping a stage boss, especially considering it's more of a downgrade from a main boss, since stage bosses are basically special types of stage hazards. Also, I think it might be hinting at him being revealed on that stage, like in a trailer or something. But you still bring up a good point.

Also, better tell you guys now.
I'm not really proud of it, but...
I used to be a Ridley detractor. :(
It's alright man. You probablly had your reasons, but it's good to know that even a detractor can have a change of heart! :love:

Last edited:

PacoTaco

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4312-9999-1091
Also, better tell you guys now.
I'm not really proud of it, but...
I used to be a Ridley detractor. :(
Its ok you are with the right people now :joyful:

See I've never been against any character for a Smash game cause thats one more new character. I'm only against the dumb ones. I've always wanted Ridley cause he is just so cool. He would bring new ideas and strategy to Smash. :estatic:

Top Bottom