• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Since metroid music from both SSBB and Melee are returning, which what you like to return, and what music new metroid music what you'd like to hear, and would you prefer the way it sounded in that game, or remixed/orchestrated?
This seriously need to be on 3ds necause sound test but lower norfair.

I don't understand brawl didn't put this one (hate SSE). Really, it's my favorite of the whole series with the chant being something quite serious and sort of warn you to something dangerous and the main track adds intensity and immersion.

Why it's not in smash at all like seriously?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
They didn't straight-up say that Phantom was a move for Zelda either. Well, whatever you're right it's no different then before.
This actually brings up a good point, in the March Famitsu issue, they alluded to Phantom seeming to be a move for Zelda and questioned what happened to Sheik, a month later, we got the confirmation it was in fact Zelda's new move and Sheik got separated. By implication, the situation does imply that Ridley is being teased as a boss as they allude to a mysterious shadow lurking over a stage that seems simple otherwise. If it's the same case, then it's not a good sign for Ridley, I'd say that it's the most worrying thing we've gotten in a long time and I can't say it gives me much hope for the situation.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
This actually brings up a good point, in the March Famitsu issue, they alluded to Phantom seeming to be a move for Zelda and questioned what happened to Sheik, a month later, we got the confirmation it was in fact Zelda's new move and Sheik got separated. By implication, the situation does imply that Ridley is being teased as a boss as they allude to a mysterious shadow lurking over a stage that seems simple otherwise. If it's the same case, then it's not a good sign for Ridley, I'd say that it's the most worrying thing we've gotten in a long time and I can't say it gives me much hope for the situation.
I think it's more so they're just stating speculation, like everyone else. People were speculating if Phantom was a move or assist or what, so they wrote about it. People are speculating if Ridley is a hazard or playable. Since we saw Ridleys shadow on Pyrosphere it's obvious they'd comment on it, but they didn't really say one way or the other. Maybe he's lurking about waiting to be revealed playable?

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Did anyone see those Nintendo Dream scans, in which they had a little section on Pyrosphere and they never brought up Ridley appearing on the stage at all? And yet when they got to Dr. Wily's Castle, they went into detail about the Yellow Devil?

...Yeah.
Hahaha even they have not a clue about what is going on, it's beautiful.
Also, more shadows!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I know we often cover "why Ridley should be in the game as playable", but my friend just asked me a very interesting question. "Why does it matter so much to you?"

So other than the evidence we have, or what attention the Metroid franchise should have, or how much he deserves a spot, other than all of that! Why does it matter to us personally?

For me, I want Ridley because I see that this game is treating newcomers extremely well. And as sad as it is to say... none of the current characters interest me. To clarify, I mean, they also sound really wonderful, but I don't have any real love for Rosalina, or Palutena, or Little Mac, or any of the new characters. Some I just don't have exposure to, like Palutena, and some I just don't feel one way or the other towards, like Rosalina. I'm selfish because I want to feel that same excitement that others must feel when they see those beloved characters treated with such love.

I know that makes me sound bitter. "How do you dislike so many franchises??" Haha, that's not it... It's just that I was lucky, in a way. All my favourite favourite favourite (favourite) franchises are in already, and they have been in for years. For me, Ridley is like... the last of my all-time favourites. Wanting him in is me being ultimately selfish. XD

So what personal stock does everyone else have in this endeavour?
Honestly, I don't know. I wouldn't say I'm as involved as some of the other users here. I just like the characters I like.

If there was any character that I really cared about in Smash 4, it was Megaman. And since we got Megaman, I'm more than content with the roster. There's a few other characters that I like too.

As for Ridley himself, I just think he's cool. He looks cool, has an awesome boss theme. And Meta-Ridley was one of my favorite bosses in any game I've ever played. I suppose I also like the idea of being able to also play villains like Ganon, Wolf or Bowser, who usually aren't playable, Ridley is an example of this too I guess. On top of that, he has a decent chance of offering a sick playstyle.

If he's playable, then that's just icing on the cake. If he's not, then oh well, better luck next time. I'm still gonna go main Megaman and Mario.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I always harbored this "bad feeling".

I never bought that Pyrosphere was going to be a more neutral Metroid stage. Why is it so spacious and vast but with so few platforms?

One of the main reasons why I had low expectations to begin with. Yes, Ridley has been alluded to possibly more then any other character in the game but how that stage is designed always made me lose hope.

Hopefully we can get a confirmation on those translations :/
Huh. In the picture the platforms are...well, was anything known yet about the platforms moving or anything? Because they sure as hell look like they can move. So, it's not entirely neutral at least?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
So, I don't know what exactly the Shulk and Isaac threads are uniting to do against the Ridley and K. Rool threads, but it's on!

I'm hoping this will be settled through a dance off, but no official word yet.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I think it's more so they're just stating speculation, like everyone else. People were speculating if Phantom was a move or assist or what, so they wrote about it. People are speculating if Ridley is a hazard or playable. Since we saw Ridleys shadow on Pyrosphere it's obvious they'd comment on it, but they didn't really say one way or the other. Maybe he's lurking about waiting to be revealed playable?
Potentially yes, I'm not saying the alternative isn't possible, particularly since they have been rather quiet about it, it's just that going by face value it doesn't paint a pretty picture. It's still rather unnerving as he's being teased again for a non-playable role, and no matter how much they refuse to elaborate on it, it may end up being that way, which greatly worries me. I want to believe Ridley will be playable, I've wanted this for years, but I can't shake that depressing feeling that this article and the direct has given me.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I know we often cover "why Ridley should be in the game as playable", but my friend just asked me a very interesting question. "Why does it matter so much to you?"

So other than the evidence we have, or what attention the Metroid franchise should have, or how much he deserves a spot, other than all of that! Why does it matter to us personally?

For me, I want Ridley because I see that this game is treating newcomers extremely well. And as sad as it is to say... none of the current characters interest me. To clarify, I mean, they also sound really wonderful, but I don't have any real love for Rosalina, or Palutena, or Little Mac, or any of the new characters. Some I just don't have exposure to, like Palutena, and some I just don't feel one way or the other towards, like Rosalina. I'm selfish because I want to feel that same excitement that others must feel when they see those beloved characters treated with such love.

I know that makes me sound bitter. "How do you dislike so many franchises??" Haha, that's not it... It's just that I was lucky, in a way. All my favourite favourite favourite (favourite) franchises are in already, and they have been in for years. For me, Ridley is like... the last of my all-time favourites. Wanting him in is me being ultimately selfish. XD

So what personal stock does everyone else have in this endeavour?
I may be on the neutral standpoint, but that doesn't mean I don't think Ridley wouldn't be a good addition. But a reason to support his inclusion would be: Ridley would add to the villains but more importantly, he'd be a new character adding a whole new variety to the gameplay mechanics.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Honestly, there should be no reason on why they should feign knowledge on Ridley's presence if he isn't playable. He's been a recurring character since the first game for the N64, and was part of two major boss fights in Brawl's SSE, where Mother Brain and the other Metroid villains were relegated to sticker status. There should be no doubt that he's the second-most important character in Metroid, and to avoid saying his name for so long on the stage that he's infamously known for is going to spark controversy whether Nintendo likes it or not.

Something's going on here, and it smells fishy.
Agreed, but at the same time, that doesn't guarantee a confirm. But you are right: Isn't it odd that a character is (for this scenario) is only a boss, but hasn't been outright deconfirmed to be one? Or how about how it wasn't directly announced that Ridley was a boss, and we got no confirmation about it since over a year ago.

Now Ridley was definitely teased as a boss and nothing more. But there are variables in this that gives him a STRONG chance of

Chase

Smash Ace
So, I don't know what exactly the Shulk and Isaac threads are uniting to do against the Ridley and K. Rool threads, but it's on!

I'm hoping this will be settled through a dance off, but no official word yet.
We have the K. Rool guys on our side. Have you seen the dance-related antics in their thread? We're sure to win.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
We have the K. Rool guys on our side. Have you seen the dance-related antics in their thread? We're sure to win.
Ugh, we might need to look into adding the Bandanna Dee guys into this. Have you seem some of those Kirby stage completion dances?

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I got a more legit translation from the guy in the thread

"pyrosphere: "1. It's a stage surrounded by scorching heat and lava. It's a relatively simple stage with one main floating platform with a few smaller platforms above it, but there seems to be the shadow of "something" giant...? 2,3. The more detailed information on the tricks of this stage are still unclear, but this is not actually such a simple stage."
In other words:
"Pyrosphere: It's somewhere in lava, has platforms, also a shadow has been shown who could that be oooooh?????? Other than that we don't know jack but it's not just a neutral stage".
Muh. Doesn't confirm that Ridley is a boss, just that the stage will have a gimmick of some description. Remember, Smash does not give a cluck about canon and a different boss may very well be put in.

Have you not learned anything? We are Ridley supporters! We will grasp that goddamn straw until either it or we break! We will not give up hope until we see clear purple on pyrosphere proof damnit! You are not authorized to give up!

Chase

Smash Ace
It says that Pyrosphere is not a simple stage even though the layout is simple.
*cough*lava*cough*

That is the most vague thing in this game since the shadow. It could literally mean anything! For all we know we could have cinnamon buns flying at us from the depths of the Pyrosphere as the hazard, but it doesn't deconfirm Ridley!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I read what was stated. It sounds like Nintendo Dream doesn't know anything more about Ridley than we do. That's about it. I don't see how Ridley is "done" at this point. :p

The translations can't make heads or tails out of what was stated, either. One translation states that the layout is simple but there might be something else, and another states its not a simple stage even though it looks simple. In other words, they don't know jack crap, and the translation can't make anything out either. So yeah, I don't see how it changes anything.

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
it may be a different stage boss, or roidley, but if it is roidley as a stage boss, the chances of ridley being playable are still up. We won't give up on Ridley easily like how he will never give up on Destroying all of those who stand in his way. Ridley Cheats Death!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, technically, the following is possible:

The wall could detach and forms platform on the stage.

Seems pointless and too random? Yes, but is it 1% possible, yes.

To claim hazard, it has to be clear that hazard is the only thing possible.

So, it's not known what this implies to not be visually simple.

I hope I'm not the only one who got that right?

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
So, after a year of the internet speculating, discussing, arguing about and demanding information for, all they have to say is, it is not simple, and it has a gimmick....alright then.

When they say gimmick, do they mean like, most other stages? I mean, Galaxys stage has a gimmick, Mega mans stage has a gimmick, that train stage has a gimmick. This is not saying anything. If they said boss, then we should be worried, but gimmick, we already knew that because of all the lava, and well, it is a metroid stage. Has a metroid stage ever NOT had a gimmick in fact?

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
*cough*lava*cough*

That is the most vague thing in this game since the shadow. It could literally mean anything! For all we know we could have cinnamon buns flying at us from the depths of the Pyrosphere as the hazard, but it doesn't deconfirm Ridley!
Cinnamon Bun flies right in!
Drat! You jinxed it!

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
you give me an idea.....a really strange idea....
Oh this should be fun.

So, after a year of the internet speculating, discussing, arguing about and demanding information for, all they have to say is, it is not simple, and it has a gimmick....alright then.

When they say gimmick, do they mean like, most other stages? I mean, Galaxys stage has a gimmick, Mega mans stage has a gimmick, that train stage has a gimmick. This is not saying anything. If they said boss, then we should be worried, but gimmick, we already knew that because of all the lava, and well, it is a metroid stage. Has a metroid stage ever NOT had a gimmick in fact?
Pretty sure that every Metroid stage up to this point has had some form of violent (semi)liquid involved. At least Norfair was more interesting in the way it handled it. Watch Pyrosphere do the same.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
In other words:
"Pyrosphere: It's somewhere in lava, has platforms, also a shadow has been shown who could that be oooooh?????? Other than that we don't know jack but it's not just a neutral stage".
Muh. Doesn't confirm that Ridley is a boss, just that the stage will have a gimmick of some description. Remember, Smash does not give a cluck about canon and a different boss may very well be put in.
Why can't people just consider:

Planet Zebes - Hmm, a level with a rising lava gimmick.
Brinstar - Hmm, a level with a rising lava/acid gimmick.
Norfair - Hmm, a level with a rising lava gimmick.
Pyrosphere - Hmm, a level with lava, totally can't have a rising lava gimmick. :glare:

And before someone say, "But Sakarai wouldn't be that predictable!" Really? Last time I checked, there was THREE Metroid levels with a rising lava gimmick, and for some dumb reason, you think Sakurai wouldn't do that again?

"But Ridley shadow was on Pyrosphere! Totally means a boss!" ...Are you REALLY sure that WAS Ridley? All we saw was a shadow, a shadow that resemblance Ridley. Could have been anyone. Sakurai's the one making the game, so he can do ANYTHING to make us think anything.

Have you not learned anything? We are Ridley supporters! We will grasp that goddamn straw until either it or we break! We will not give up hope until we see clear purple on pyrosphere proof damnit! You are not authorized to give up!
Until the man MAKING THE FREAKING GAME says through his mouth; "Ridley's not playable", THEN we quit.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
"But Ridley shadow was on Pyrosphere! Totally means a boss!" ...Are you REALLY sure that WAS Ridley? All we saw was a shadow, a shadow that resemblance Ridley. Could have been anyone. Sakurai's the one making the game, so he can do ANYTHING to make us think anything.
Lakitu confirmed as stage hazard.

Until the man MAKING THE FREAKING GAME says through his mouth; "Ridley's not playable", THEN we quit.
You mean, "lay dormant for the next Smash Bros".

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

Pyrosphere - Hmm, a level with lava, totally can't have a rising lava gimmick. :glare:

And before someone say, "But Sakarai wouldn't be that predictable!" Really? Last time I checked, there was THREE Metroid levels with a rising lava gimmick, and for some dumb reason, you think Sakurai wouldn't do that again?

Just going to correct you because one of the thing you said got proven false.

In some frames of the direct, you see the point of the tail of Ridley and you can even tell it would be Rodley.

It's Ridley and it's a fact.

What he does isn't tough and that is the whole tease trigger.

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman

Don't forget Kraid appearing in one of those stages as a hazard too.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
So it's alluding to something the appearance of something on the stage? Like what's been alluded to for the past year?
No no, I get what you're sayin'
What the magazine says effectively confirms that Pyrosphere is not a hazard-less stage.
Yes, that could be a cause for alarm, but what you still have to assume is that Sakurai is "hyping up" a character to be in a role that is not very special compared to playability. If the wonderful people of Nintendo have convinced me of anything, it's that they're very aware of everything their fans think. They would have to know that, back from Pyrosphere's reveal, people feared that Ridley was a hazard. If in the end they've be knowingly stringing us along this long, then, frankly, that's quite cruel and unprofessional.
You have to assume that Sakurai thinks it's worth to not be completely clear that one of the most talked about characters if not playable in any way, unlike every other confirmation for a character not in a playable role.
But this is just the same stuff you've read over and over for the past months. I know that, but you seem to be in need of a reminder of why the people here are so confident.
Before you jump to conclusions, think about everything again. Because, other than there now being a confirmation that something "not simple" is on Pyrosphere, which many Ridley supporters assumed to be the case already, nothing has changed.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Does Frigate Orpheon just not exist?
Why am I forgetting these stages. Well, I find Frigate Orpheon somewhat forgettable (personal experience, it's kind of meh to me), but Brinstar Depths was one I found kind of cool.
Alright, TWO Metroid stages without lava.

Top Bottom