• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Mewtwoultima

Smash Apprentice
Ignore that leak talk

Instead talk about this

Should Ridley's tail spike have a sweetspot on the spike for tail attacks?
Perhaps it could. I feel using his tail would be a major attack in his moveset since he uses it a lot in some of the metroid games. He could do a tail grind for one special or one where he whips it in a specific direction depending which way the player points the control stick.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I was looking at the Other M Concept Art for Ridley and I noticed something I didn't quite notice before. Right here:

Image that they are on the same field of view. Ridley really isn't that big compared to Samus here. Here, I compared them:

Yes, it is very messy. I threw it together once I noticed it. I might clean it up later. Yes, Ridley is missing an arm. It was around the fire area, which I removed altogether. They are lined up by their "falling leg". It isn't perfect, but you get the idea. They're around an adequate size for Smash.

Didn't we nearly establish that Concept Artley would be the Ridley that was being used? Well, it turns out that this Ridley is not the same size as Other M Ridley. Of course, Ridley is flying, so his legs would actually be longer (he hunches them up when he flies, it would seem).

Is it possible that he was too small?

If it bothers you so much that he's missing an arm, here:

Enjoy. :laugh:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Ignore that leak talk

Instead talk about this

Should Ridley's tail spike have a sweetspot on the spike for tail attacks?
Seeing how his tail will probably be used for his down-B jackhammer-tail attack, it makes sense for the spike to not only be a sweet-spot, but also a meteor smash.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I was looking at the Other M Concept Art for Ridley and I noticed something I didn't quite notice before. Right here:

Image that they are on the same field of view. Ridley really isn't that big compared to Samus here. Here, I compared them:

Yes, it is very messy. I threw it together once I noticed it. I might clean it up later. Yes, Ridley is missing an arm. It was around the fire area, which I removed altogether. They are lined up by their "falling leg". It isn't perfect, but you get the idea. They're around an adequate size for Smash.

Didn't we nearly establish that Concept Artley would be the Ridley that was being used? Well, it turns out that this Ridley is not the same size as Other M Ridley. Of course, Ridley is flying, so his legs would actually be longer (he hunches them up when he flies, it would seem).

Could someone use the power of Models to compare that Ridley to the Smash Cast using Samus as refrence? :D

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503

Hate to burst your bubble, but foreshortening is a thing. Long story short: This Ridley is larger than it appears.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
veins in upper part PURPLE of wings on Pyrosphere...
veins in PURPLE wings(Was on Pyrosphere)... Coincidence? I THINK NOT!
The eyes like ridleys

Meta knights wings looks like ridleys

Veins in wings

Meta knight is purple

Same day as when the pyrosphere was revealed

And the quote is fight me

That picture is a ridley tease no question.

Last edited:

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice
Oh yes, I did mean a trailer of one character and a PoTD of Rids. But yes, it does seem more likely that Ridley would be revealed in a trailer, it would certainly boosts the game's hype. I'd have to agree with you, a trailer showing is the best way to display Ridley as playable. I'd definitely be interested with playing him. As far as playable, I could very well see Rids as a glass cannon.

Also, while there is evidence supporting both sides, if any person could answer just this one question: If Ridley is a boss, why would he be teased this much?

Obviously people believe Sakurai knows of Ridley's fanbase, so if anyone could answer this with a sound argument, then that would convince me that Ridley is only a boss. However, that's not the case, which means: I'm skeptical. I have always been neutral, so I never gave Ridley's inclusion much thought until I entered here. I have to say, his chances are as good as ever at this point, and I do sincerely hope that all of the people who have been waiting for his inclusion (especially since Melee days) gets their due.
Not only does a trailer seem most likely but a big 3 trailer would be a great push right before release, showing off Ridley K Rool and Mewtwo would have a great effect on sales I know if this wasn't already an instabuy for me with Little Mac Megaman and Greninja those 3 would seal the deal

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice
The eyes like ridleys

Veins in wings

Meta knight is purple

Same day as when the pyrosphere was revealed

And the quote is fight me

That picture is a ridley tease no question.
When I first read this I thought it was a poem! haha also what relevance is fight me to Ridley I'm not super into the Metroid series just yet I've only played Metroid and Super Metroid and I'm getting the Primes for my birthday (Speaking of outside of those 5 which others do you recommend I'm currently looking at Metroid Fusion simply because of easy access any others you would recommend?) so is "Fight me" a Metroid thing as well as Meta Knight or is it just because of the flame wars behind Ridley sorry for being so clueless!

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Not only does a trailer seem most likely but a big 3 trailer would be a great push right before release, showing off Ridley K Rool and Mewtwo would have a great effect on sales I know if this wasn't already an instabuy for me with Little Mac Megaman and Greninja those 3 would seal the deal
You're line of thinking is very similar to mine, I'm still somehow holding out hope for a big three trailer, and also Little Mac and Mega Man are enough for me to say you know what I'm buying the new Smash, but without any of the big three yet I'm still a bit hesitant about the whole roster. I mean come on Ridley makes the whole game worth buying on his own (Even if he plays poorly, he's in, I'm happy and I'm going to use him as much as I can).

As for the Meta Knight picture from NoE, it's been just enough to reignite a dying fire of Ridley support for me. For crying out loud, Meta Knight looking like THAT on Pyrosphere, at some point you just have to stop believing in coincidence regarding the mannerism in which the shot was taken. Or at least that's my choice for now. Get hype for Ridley is what I say, and we'll hopefully soar together as supporters!

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice
You're line of thinking is very similar to mine, I'm still somehow holding out hope for a big three trailer, and also Little Mac and Mega Man are enough for me to say you know what I'm buying the new Smash, but without any of the big three yet I'm still a bit hesitant about the whole roster. I mean come on Ridley makes the whole game worth buying on his own (Even if he plays poorly, he's in, I'm happy and I'm going to use him as much as I can).

As for the Meta Knight picture from NoE, it's been just enough to reignite a dying fire of Ridley support for me. For crying out loud, Meta Knight looking like THAT on Pyrosphere, at some point you just have to stop believing in coincidence regarding the mannerism in which the shot was taken. Or at least that's my choice for now. Get hype for Ridley is what I say, and we'll hopefully soar together as supporters!
I think Sakurai has done a great job with newcomers this time around and I have no doubts that no matter what happens, come October I will be spending all of my free time playing smash 4 that said I think I would enjoy it a lot more with Ridley K Rool Mewtwo and (maybe) Isaac. Regardless I truly feel that the new Meta Knight picture is an undeniable Ridley tease and this is the most confident I have ever been for him!

Master of Bones

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brandooooooooooo
3DS FC
2208-5435-4490
I've been lurking ever since the April direct (when I first dared to hope since pre-Brawl days) and posted a couple questions since making an account this past week, but I just wanted to declare my unwavering support and loyalty to our fearsome leader. This thread is awesome.

And what a great time to be a Ridley supporter. After years and years, it's finally here. Like a glorious sunrise from the night of our darkest despair, the truth is imminently upon us. We space pirates will usher in a new era of Smash. Ridley will triumph over the detractors and the toobigots, then devour their souls with his hellish jaws and much gnashing of teeth.

User33

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
I have been around since the pre-Melee days. The fact of the matter is that we are going to look like idiots and the Ridley fanbase is going to contract big time once Ridley becomes a boss once again.

Its like my seniority among the Ridley fanbase and Smash Bros. fanbase means absolutely nothing. I have been supporting Ridley as a playable character in Smash Bros. when quite a few people in this thread were still in diapers. I have been a massive fan of Ridley for basically 20 years. I have wanted him in as a playable character for over 15 years.

The fact of the matter is, is that if Sakurai lets us down again (especially if he really does end up trolling us for over the year), WE HAVE TO take matters into our own hands.
Jesus you're embarrassing dude.

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice
I've been lurking ever since the April direct (when I first dared to hope since pre-Brawl days) and posted a couple questions since making an account this past week, but I just wanted to declare my unwavering support and loyalty to our fearsome leader. This thread is awesome.

And what a great time to be a Ridley supporter. After years and years, it's finally here. Like a glorious sunrise from the night of our darkest despair, the truth is imminently upon us. We space pirates will usher in a new era of Smash. Ridley will triumph over the detractors and the toobigots, then devour their souls with his hellish jaws and much gnashing of teeth.
True, but souls are tasteless and unsatisfying. He might like bone marrow though.

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010

Great time to be a supporter indeed! the detractors will flee like the cockroach after turning on the light, after such a BIG announcement.

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237

" welcome message and dont drink the water" coming your way

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice

When I first saw this post I thought that I just forgot I posted something since we have the same profile pic lol! Welcome by the way, but I'm not sure if I have enough seniority to welcome as I'm only 10 days old!

Last edited:

Master of Bones

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brandooooooooooo
3DS FC
2208-5435-4490
Thanks for the welcomes :) Don't worry, I know not to drink the water. Detractor blood is much tastier anyways. Long live Ridley, the Cunning God of Death...

And MrCatEater, you have a fine taste in profile pics.

Mewtwoultima

Smash Apprentice
Thank goodness. I just saw that Meta Knight image and it isn't a coincidence at all. If this isn't proof Ridley's a shoe in like Palutena was with the announcements, I don't know what else is. This has me even more convinced he's playable. This is intentional and I think some would agree. The wings, Pyrosphere, eye glowing. Yeah! Now we just need a direct that shows him to get the ultimate reward at last.

Interesting only NOE shows the screenshot to... Hmm... I wonder?

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Just thought of something.

Pretty cool, Yellow Devil is a boss that is on both systems.

What stage is confirmed, (if the leak is real), as only being on Wii U?

Due to the "new" SSS, we know 3DS version won't get to enjoy the "boss" on this stage.

Why would the Yellow Devil be for both systems but not the fan favorite boss, Ridley?

If Ridley isn't a playable character, then he won't appear on the 3DS version...

Almost seems like that would be a pretty big blow to the fan base. Too much of a blow that he is available on both systems, as playable.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Nice to have so many new faces, even if some of them are the same :p

It won't be long before we know Ridley's role for sure, just about 3 weeks now. Stay positive!

True, but souls are tasteless and unsatisfying. He might like bone marrow though.
The flavor of bone marrow, unlike that of souls, is generally not impacted by the person. Although they could both be considered the core of a person....

Eat both to be safe

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
So, do you think it would make sense to have Ridley's tail keep it's trademark invincibility? And if so would it stop attacks dead in their tracks? Or maybe just have stuff phase through it?

Yes, my picture is the duck hunt dog leak, the only thing good that came out of that poor excuse for a roster.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Nice to have so many new faces, even if some of them are the same :p

It won't be long before we know Ridley's role for sure, just about 3 weeks now. Stay positive!

The flavor of bone marrow, unlike that of souls, is generally not impacted by the person. Although they could both be considered the core of a person....

Eat both to be safe
Three weeks already? I have not been paying attention to the time, I remember when we thought we would know his fate "in three weeks" prior to E3. How naive! Regardless, this time it is actually true. I have not felt this excited for Smash in awhile.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Tail should only block things while actively being used for an attack. Then, however, it is invincible and can block attacks (or, at least, projectiles that hit it). However, it is relatively small, and attacks with it will be quick, so mastering it for blocking will be very skill-intensive.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Tail has no hurtbox, so... phasing?
It could be like Marth's cape.
It kinda just "Whoosh"es when an attack is near it. I could see them doing that for Ridley, maybe.
...Ever use Kirby's inhale behind Marth/Ike JUST out of reach so it looks like the wind is blowing there cape? It's majestic.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Three weeks already? I have not been paying attention to the time, I remember when we thought we would know his fate "in three weeks" prior to E3. How naive! Regardless, this time it is actually true. I have not felt this excited for Smash in awhile.
Yep. I have to say, there have been times I've been convinced Ridley would be a hidden character, and times I've been convinced that it would be foolish not to show him off before the release. But that matters little with the true day of reckoning finally at hand. We still might get another new character before the game comes out, and it might be Ridley. At this point my only fear of Ridley not being playable is that he's being saved for Wii - U specific PotD material after the 3DS version is already out, but it's pointless to worry about that because that will be after the 3DS version comes out, and then we'd already know his role for sure.

But I'll be damned - as slow as time seems to be going while speculating, the 3 week mark snuck up on me. Until you put this into perspective I kinda forgot just how close that was.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
A question fellow Ridley supporters: What would you suggest be Ridley's best way of initiating fights with opponents to get the upper hand?

Chase

Smash Ace
A question fellow Ridley supporters: What would you suggest be Ridley's best way of initiating fights with opponents to get the upper hand?
Powerful Up-smash to get 'em in the air, and just completely murder them from there.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Dash to 'em, Up Throw, and let all hell loose in the sky.
That's just how it works.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Look up Soulcalibur, specifically Nightmare. Ridley should be a pressure engine; slow to start, but if you're stupid enough to let him get going you deserve everything you get.

Yes I know it doesn't really answer the question, I'm just not picky how he does it. :demon:

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Oh hey.

Happy Pyrosphere anniversary or something.

Grumble.

This day would be significantly less daunting if it were not for that mother****ing leak brainwashing everyone.

Sigh.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Oh hey.

Happy Pyrosphere anniversary or something.

Grumble.

This day would be significantly less daunting if it were not for that mother****ing leak brainwashing everyone.

Sigh.
Yep. Pyrosphere anniversary, Ridley still not disconfirmed, yay...

Only to have the gamatsu 2.0 occur. You can't exactly disprove the leak either since there may be design differences, but you can't really prove it to begin with.

I hope the PotD tonight blows it the **** out.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Aw, thanks.

It worked. That's all I really cared about. Since the mods are apparently not monitoring things right now (or the thread would have been locked after IsmaR's multiple warnings about exactly this sort of discussion), I had to find something.

I totally missed the eyes. Good catch.

I figured the most iconic Down-B type attack would be the Pogo tail. Or would that just be a down aerial?
Was out earlier when all this happened, but I certainly understand your previous outrage, even though it's not quite the reaction I would've made.

I missed the eyes too, surprisingly.

Like others I think the pogo tail attack should be a down aerial personally (one that spikes like the d-aerials of other villains such as Ganondorf and if I recall right, Wolf), while the down-B I guess would be the skin darkening.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I really hope something like Ice Climbers get revealed tomorrow and just straight up kill that damn leak so Smash Boards can go back to a state of semi-peace, or as peaceful as we can be before the release of one of our favorite game series. I'm very glad this board has bounced back much faster than K. Rool's thread and were not really daunted by recent events as much, I realized how much I'd rather have Sakurai be the one to show things off and not have anything "spoiled" or otherwise "tainted" by an early leak. When Ridley comes, I want to see Sakurai's vision of him in what I expect to be an epic trailer, not an icon on a roster in a poor resolution photo. (Whether that day be soon, or *shudder* years down the line)

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Hate to burst your bubble, but foreshortening is a thing. Long story short: This Ridley is larger than it appears.
I feel like nobody ever reads the part where I said "Imagine that they're on the same field of view". It's literally the first sentence under the first picture. That said, you should imagine that they are on the exact same field of view, plane of sight, foundation, all on the foreground, and other synonyms I can not come up with off the top of my head.

I realize they are on different planes, but for the sake of the comparison, imagine they aren't.

So, do you think it would make sense to have Ridley's tail keep it's trademark invincibility? And if so would it stop attacks dead in their tracks? Or maybe just have stuff phase through it?

Yes, my picture is the duck hunt dog leak, the only thing good that came out of that poor excuse for a roster.
I know we said no more leak talk, but this is more of an advice thing.

If you want a more fleshed out render of that, I believe that leak stole that from somewhere. People were talking about it in the comments of GameXplain's video.

And, yeah. Tail invincibility would be cool. Like someone said above, have it like Marth's cape.

EDITED FOR: Spoiler mishap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom