• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Rdley can't become playable for smash 4, [On Miiverse, Masahiro Sakurai provided a caption when revealing the stage, which reads "An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second…" Because of this, some speculated that Ridleywould appear as a stage hazard.]
Marvelous! A user that time travelled from 9 months in the past!

Come on man, you gotta keep up with the times! The new "thing" among Toobigots is "The Direct said it's a boss!". :awesome:

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Rdley can't become playable for smash 4, [On Miiverse, Masahiro Sakurai provided a caption when revealing the stage, which reads "An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second…" Because of this, some speculated that Ridleywould appear as a stage hazard.]
This has already been argued to death, into the grave, and all the way beyond. Basically, it means nothing, seeing as it can refer to a number of things, such as what is reposted here:
- A playable character
- A stage hazard
- An assist trophy
- A background cameo

What do all of these things have in common? I'll wait.

A: They can all appear on the Pyrosphere. That post literally means nothing other than "Someone who may or may not be Ridley may or may not be in one or both versions of the game."

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Stage hazard, boss, what's the difference? If it appears on a stage, attacks you, and is not playable, then it's a stage hazard.

Last edited:

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Stage hazard, boss, what's the difference? If it appears on a stages, attacks you, and is not playable, then it's a stage hazard.
The difference is that a boss if fought, while a stage hazard can only be avoided.

Marvelous! A user that time travelled from 9 months in the past!

Come on man, you gotta keep up with the times! The new "thing" among Toobigots is "The Direct said it's a boss!". :awesome:
I need me one of them time machines. I wanna see every E3 for the next 20 years now!:laugh:

Oh, and watch every up and down moment of Smash fans everywhere as characters are confirmed/deconfirmed.:evil:

Last edited:

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
Ever wondered why Yoshi does not enter the Ghost House in Super Mario World?

Yoshi and Ridley decide to try a Ghost Ride......This plays during the whole ride:skull::skull::skull::skull::skull::skull:

:troll: Oh, that is not Soda under your feet, Riddles:troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Stage hazard, boss, what's the difference? If it appears on a stages, attacks you, and is not playable, then it's a stage hazard.
Hazards, so to speak, are elements which can influence the battle, but cannot be directly interacted with (with few exceptions such as the racers on the SSBB Mario Kart stage) and may exist as biological entities or simple stage characteristics (an example would be the lava on the Brinstar stage in Melee, the Arwings on Corneria, and the Red Bulborb on the SSBB Pikmin stage). Stage bosses differ from simple hazards in the sense that they are biological entities and can be directly interacted with and "defeated" by the player (the Yellow Devil is a the prime example of this) wherein their defeat can have an effect on the battlefield. It has yet to be seen (although I feel it is widely assumed true) if Stage Bosses can come back after being defeated or not, so a possible other difference exists between Stage Hazards and Stage Bosses in the sense that Hazards can repeatedly appear, while Bosses may appear only once and stay until they are defeated.

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Hazards, so to speak, are elements which can influence the battle, but cannot be directly interacted with (with few exceptions such as the racers on the SSBB Mario Kart stage) and may exist as biological entities or simple stage characteristics (an example would be the lava on the Brinstar stage in Melee, the Arwing's on Corneria, and the Red Bulborb on the SSBB Pikmin stage). Stage bosses differ from simple hazards in the sense that they can be directly interacted with and "defeated" by the player (the Yellow Devil is a the prime example of this) wherein their defeat can have an effect on the battlefield. It has yet to be seen (although I feel it is widely assumed true) if Stage Bosses can come back after being defeated or not, so a possible other difference exists between Stage Hazards and Stage Bosses in the sense that Hazards can repeatedly appear, while Bosses may appear only once and stay until they are defeated.
So, does that make Birdo a boss character?

D

Deleted member

So, does that make Birdo a boss character?
That all depends on if the Stage Bosses in Smash 4 return after their defeats or not, since she (I'm assuming) can reappear after being defeated. Birdo could also fall under the Stage Hazard exceptions I mentioned which can be interacted with.

D

Deleted member

Besides, Sakurai never called the Yellow Devil a boss character.
He did indirectly by mentioning that others would appear.
You can't say there will be other boss characters if there isn't at least one shown to exist.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
You can also 'defeat' the Ultimate Chimera on New Pork City, by destroying the wooden platform that it could possibly walk on.

Does that make it a boss?

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You can also 'defeat' the Ultimate Chimera on New Pork City, by destroying the wooden platform that it could possibly walk on.

In terms of defeat, I meant more along the lines of doing direct damage to said Boss (for example attacking the Yellow Devil's eye until he explodes; dealing damage to Master Hand/Crazy Hand, etc.), destroying the wooden platform underneath is not dealing direct damage to the Chimera. Also, I don't imagine most "Boss Characters" can be "defeated" by leading them off-stage/causing them to fall through a broken platform because I imagine their characters are created so as to take damage without exhibiting any sort of flinching or knockback.

D

Deleted member

他にもボスキャラ系の仕掛けが登場

"Other boss character system gimmicks come up"

Enough arguing that stage hazards and bosses are the same thing; they're not.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
He did indirectly by mentioning that others would appear.
You can't say there will be other boss characters if there isn't at least one shown to exist.
Well, Bowser WAS shown fighting the Devil before they cut to Ridley...

Sakurai is either diabolically clever, or there is a ton of fortunate circumstantial evidence.

Last edited:

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087

Sakurai is either diabolically clever, or there are a ton of fortunate circumstantial evidence.
Or both! Mwaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaha! :evil:

D

Deleted member

Sakurai is either diabolically clever, or there is a ton of fortunate circumstantial evidence.
Anyone who thinks "boss character" is referring to the likes of Bowser, Dedede, Ganondorf, etc. is a fool.

He's clearly talking about actual bosses, if you've bothered to pay attention to the Japanese text.
Hell, I've pointed it out three times in the thread already. You have no excuse.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Anyone who thinks "boss character" is referring to the likes of Bowser, Dedede, Ganondorf, etc. is a fool.

He's clearly talking about actual bosses, if you've bothered to pay attention to the Japanese text.
Hell, I've pointed it out three times in the thread already. You have no excuse.
You know, I've been asking for the Japanese text/what Sakurai is originally saying, but no one has bothered to translate for me. Must've been absent or asleep on those days.

D

Deleted member

....you can't look literally 5 posts above this very post?

D

Deleted member

Evidently not.

EDIT: Stupid auto-correct.

Morbi

Scavenger
他にもボスキャラ系の仕掛けが登場

"Other boss character system gimmicks come up"

Enough arguing that stage hazards and bosses are the same thing; they're not.
I thought that they were synonymous terms as a boss is an inherent hazard to any given stage. I mean; the mechanic is obviously not the same, but I feel as though I will still call "bosses" stage-hazards. I do not feel the innate desire to differentiate them.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Alternative Universe where everything's the same except Ridley's a shade of Fairy-Type - Pink

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Technically Bowser has fallen in the boss category before. However we don't know if that is the case this time around.
*coughGigaBowsercoughcough*

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So there's supposed to be a difference between hazards and bosses according to the Direct. Oh well.

To me, the Yellow Devil is still just a glorified stage hazard.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
It is kind of unsetling to have someone liking your posts from a long time ago, and slowly but steadily approaching the most recent post. Kinda like how you feel a shark follow a trail of blood, and is always getting an inch closer everytime...
not to mention the username (ah so this was you was was liking my old posts... interesting).

@ _______________ _______________ liked your post on the ridley thread

That's creepy :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
But lurking is fun and definitely not creepy.
It's like an average night with the rain pouring, but then you start to hear thunder claps a distance away, getting closer, and closer. and. closer.
Then the flash of light blinds you but for a single moment... and then there it is... @ _______________ _______________ liked your post
*THUNDER*

Last edited:
Top Bottom