• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
Why does anyone with a web-cam think they can say whatever the hell they want? I can't recall a single time when I met a detractor who wasn't a total jerk.

And if I have met one, they were so horribly overshadowed by the bad ones I failed to remember them.
Ironically, the only detractors I've ever met who weren't jerks and the ones who ran blogs or youtube channels were *INSANELY* far separated from one another.

That is to say, they were few and far between and only met in this thread a couple of times.

I'm just saying, maybe it's sheer naivete on my part to say this, but I would ASSUME people with public images to actually maintain wouldn't publicly take massive frothing sobbing defecations all over said public images.

It's the people who are around in places like Gamefaqs who can totally get away with trolling around and nobody cares who don't actually bother. ...Not to say they don't also troll. They sure as hell do. That's just not my point.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
By this point, I don't care if Ridley is playable or not for his actual attributes of being kick-*** or whatever. No, no. I don't care about that anymore. I want Ridley to be playable just so people like this can shut the hell up about it.
New signature GET!

Why does anyone with a web-cam think they can say whatever the hell they want? I can't recall a single time when I met a detractor who wasn't a total jerk.

And if I have met one, they were so horribly overshadowed by the bad ones I failed to remember them.
Well, Jerry Applesauce is kind of chill, even though he thinks Ridley is too big.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the only detractors that weren't total assholes that I've seen were in this thread. Like Jerry. I liked Jerry. Him saying boi reminded me of Gavin from Achievement Hunter. I like Gavin. And after pressing the "show new posts" button while writing this: :4greninja:

Regarding the Nabbit business, after seeing that PotD, I'm honestly partly glad they didn't include Pyrosphere in the demo. It'd have either meant an outright deconfirmation, or months of certainty to be brought crashing down in the face of a rabbit thief wearing a mask kidnapping characters.

Nabbit, your power could have been great. A dark power, for sure.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I've brought this up before, but now I've got much better pics to assist my stance on the matter.

Regarding Bowser, we always refer to his various roles where he's clearly larger than Mario or even towers over him. Though his size has fluctuated considerably and his most official size compared to Mario seems to be closer to what we've seen in Smash, he is still worth considering.

...Especially his role in the Mario Strikers sports series. Or should I say roles!

The following shows Bowser as his role of being a "stage hazard" of sorts, dropping down from the sky and interfering with the match.

You can clearly see he's pretty darn big. Definitely larger than any of the playable characters, including Donkey Kong. Note that Mario is about the size of Yoshi (poor thing is traumatized... :( ).

...And then came Mario Strikers Charged. What happened to Bowser?

OH LOOK, within the very same series, Bowser's role not only changed from "stage hazard" to playable, he's scaled down to fit the role!

Sure one can say "But Nintendo always does this with their characters, changing their sizes at a whim..." Which is true... across different series. However, the characters generally remain in a specific role AND are scaled consistently to fit whichever role they're supposed to play in that particular series. The only other series that's somewhat inconsistent is the primary Super Mario series where Bowser's size does fluctuate. However, Bowser's role remains the same and ultimately is only adjusted to best play out his role as series villain, boss, and whatever the current system technology allows.

But here is a rare moment where Bowser's role is completely changed and thus his size requires changing in order to make it work.

Ridley ought to be allowed the same treatment! Within the same series (Smash), Ridley has already changed size to fit his role, albeit not all that drastically. SSB64 had a small version of Ridley's SNES sprite hover about the background. Melee had a large yet somewhat plausibly workable Ridley battling Samus in the opening. And Brawl had two different scales for Ridley and one additional scale for Meta-Ridley. All three were considerably large, but their sizes fluctuated slightly to fit the role.

The characters are malleable in order to play the roles. The roles are not exalted over the characters. Heck, it fits in with Nintendo's design philosophy. They don't design characters and then try to shape roles around them. Roles are born out of the creation of new ideas, and characters are either born to play the roles or are contracted and adapted to fit the role. This is a view Nintendo openly exhibits.

It's a philosophy we can only hope Sakurai shares. I think he does to an extent. So far Charizard and Little Mac have moved up from Pokeball and Assist Trophy to playable character. At the same time, their scales underwent pretty minor changes. Ridley being adapted to a playable status would be something new to the series altogether. But I think I proved such a situation not only can work, but has worked before.

We can only hope that Sakurai isn't typecasting Ridley, 'cause that would be the worst-case scenario.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I seriously don't think at this point that Sakurai is so out of touch as to be unaware of Ridley, or worse yet to build up something this largely requested for literally no payoff. LITERALLY none. If anything, NEGATIVE payoff. Ridley going from two okay boss battles to one insanely poor one is not a positive payoff in any way shape or form.

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
C'mon, I'm gettin' tired

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDDLDi_H8pM

I don't care if this was posted before or not, I just want to speed stuff up. Must be awake for 1000th page extravaganza.
I've seen a bunch of his videos. And I hate this guy with a passion. Not because he doesn't want Ridley, but because he's just a ****ing asshole. c:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Going to page 1000?
NOT WITHOUT ME, RIDLEY SUPPORTERS! YOU SHALL NOT PASS UNTIL I AM HERE!...wait...nevermind...

Also, someone commented on my MUGEN video with Ridley: "Fake. He could never be in a fighting game. He's too big."
...and in the same game, Godzilla can be barely taller than Mario...

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
You know I'm really close to not even calling what I played at Smash a "boss hazard". Yellow Devil is a boss from Mega Man, but he is pure 100% stage hazard. Nothing "boss" about him except for him imitating his MM1 attack pattern.

The reality was I was facing a glorified stage hazard, no different from the all the other stage hazards I've dealt with in the series. The only differences were that there was a considerable reward for attacking the hazard, and it was one of the most intrusive stage hazards I've ever dealt with.

Stage hazards you can attack is nothing new. Heck, the first stage hazard to react to attacks was the Piranha Plant from SSB64, getting knocked right out of its pipe with a solid attack or two. Melee had Birdo who shot eggs at players and could be struck repeatedly and defeated. Brawl has the Mario Bros. stage where the whole point (to a fault) is attacking the characters there and throwing them at people. But heck, even in that annoying stage you ultimately choose to go after those enemies and use 'em as lethal weapons.

The Yellow Devil completely overshadows everything else about the Mega Man stage. It comes in when it wants, it can envelop all except the ends of the stages with its attack, it takes up over 1/3 of the stage as it is. But the most controversial part? Killing the Yellow Devil hardly affects its appearance rate. If you don't kill him, he leaves for a short while and then comes back. If you do kill him, he leaves for a short while and then comes back.

So yeah... if ultimately we're getting a hazard Ridley, there is a very good chance he's going to be that: a hazard. Not a "boss hazard". Just an intrusive hazard that commands his presence and sets the pace of battles. Controlling the pace of battles is a problem I felt Brawl exhibited often, and to take one of my most favorite characters and use him to my detriment would be horrible. Not even the detriment of him not being playable. I mean literally becoming a disliked element of the upcoming game. At least his Brawl appearances was casually enjoyed.

I type a lot.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Yeah, These boss hazards appear to often for even me, someone who likes Spear Pillar, won't enjoy.

What they should have done is have these bosses appear once a match but don't have them leave until they are dead, this would be much better and would be more fitting to call a boss hazard.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Man so close to 1000, I really hope Sakurai shows Ridley in the August Direct (if there is one) you don't build up & tease something for so long only to be an unlockable at the end, to me that's not that hype, something this big should be presented by Sakurai himself.

btw Is any Ridley supporters going to CEO?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Page 997. Sigh, I'm definitely not gonna be here for page 1,000. Don't have too much fun without me guys. :c
Then you will miss a lot. We will leave a piece (slice?) of 1000th page cake for you...maybe...i don`t know...
And i still remember about ROB riding on Ridley animation if Ridley will be revealed to be playable.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Sakurai's a smart guy, surely he knows about the demand for Ridley. No one in their right mind would hint at something so much just too disappoint everyone. I think he'll make the right decision.

Last edited:

Chase

Smash Ace
I'm waiting it out to 1000! Woo hoo! Someone needs to make an image of a thousand Ridleys.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
You know guys, every newcomer so far has been hinted at beforehand, excluding those revealed at E3 2013.

Rosalina had the Mario Galaxy stage that had strange absent of both her and the Comet Observatory.
Little Mac and Boxing ring.
Every Smash Bros has a new pokemon from the most recent generation and Xernius and Prism Tower shows gen 6 is getting plenty of representaion, and Greninja is the most popular and best fitting of the three starters.
Do I need to explain Palutena?
We saw many Mii stages and they were seen many times in the direct.
We saw Namco items in the press release pictures, Pac-Man anyone?

And now we have
Ridley being mentioned when Pyrospere was revealed and his shadow was shown during the direct
A Rhythm Heaven enemy in Smash Run
Arena Ferox on 3DS and the Coliseum on Wii U along with the odd reveal of both Marth and Ike, almost like they are preparing for a trailer coming up? Chrom

Thoughts?

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Yeah, These boss hazards appear to often for even me, someone who likes Spear Pillar, won't enjoy.

What they should have done is have these bosses appear once a match but don't have them leave until they are dead, this would be much better and would be more fitting to call a boss hazard.
Yeah, pretty much what I thought it would be. I even thought it was like every occasional match. Then everyone would make a big deal out of it, face him down, land the prized finishing blow that causes the big explosion (FYI it's definitely lethal), then be gone until the next game.

Sakurai's a smart guy, surely he knows about the demand for Ridley. No one in their right mind would hint at something so much just too disappoint everyone. I think he'll make the right decision.
Here's the thing: Sakurai is a smart guy. He's also a very independent thinker, definitely has an ego, and is not afraid to make decisions that people will openly reject. I've read enough and heard enough to realize this.

I think that's especially important to realize: You got to actually observe his behavior, 'cause I suspect he's naturally good at appearing humble and open-minded. Not to say he isn't either, but there's definitely a darker side to the Sakurai many love and think they know. And by "darker" I simply mean a less lovable, more down-to-earth human part of him. He gets put on a pedestal a lot, but like any developer he has views and philosophies that can certainly be challenged.

---------------------

As an aside... Anybody who uses up more than one post on the 1,000th page is a JERK!!!

Be nice and let's try to have as many individuals as we can enjoy the 1,000th page. (heck, being nice would be NOT rushing the thread along ~_~)

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Quoting myself, because evidently I'm arrogant. Durr.

So... does this whole Nabbit situation help or hurt Ridley?
Nabbit is a double edged blade.

It shows that Pyrosphere could have been put on the demo and there wouldn't have been a problem because if Ridley was unfinished they could have just emitted him, which gives them no reason to have emitted Pyrosphere other than to hide our beautiful dragon.

However, it also shows that they can and will show stages that are incomplete, as there was one in the demo; this means they may have shown incomplete Ridley, and the Pyrosphere PotDs may have been on incomplete!Pyrosphere.

Let's put it this way: If Pyrosphere had been in the demo, and had been Ridley-less, we would be terrified right now.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
You know guys, every newcomer so far has been hinted at beforehand, excluding those revealed at E3 2013.

Rosalina had the Mario Galaxy stage that had strange absent of both her and the Comet Observatory.
Little Mac and Boxing ring.
Every Smash Bros has a new pokemon from the most recent generation and Xernius and Prism Tower shows gen 6 is getting plenty of representaion, and Greninja is the most popular and best fitting of the three starters.
Do I need to explain Palutena?
We saw many Mii stages and they were seen many times in the direct.
We saw Namco items in the press release pictures, Pac-Man anyone?

And now we have
Ridley being mentioned when Pyrospere was revealed and his shadow was shown during the direct
A Rhythm Heaven enemy in Smash Run
Arena Ferox on 3DS and the Coliseum on Wii U along with the odd reveal of both Marth and Ike, almost like they are preparing for a trailer coming up? Chrom

Thoughts?
We can always hope that's the case for Ridley, come here sooner 1000 page

UltimateWario

Smash Master
GameFAQs ignorance overload.
Some Idiot on GameFAQs said:
I just think he wasn't ready. He put a lot of time into really recreating Ridley well in Brawl. Everything about him looked and operated f***ing awesomely. He's also did that with the Yellow Devil, even though that's obviously much more simple.
Clearly this poor fellow mistook Kirby Super Star for Super Metroid.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
As an aside... Anybody who uses up more than one post on the 1,000th page is a JERK!!!

Be nice and let's try to have as many individuals as we can enjoy the 1,000th page. (heck, being nice would be NOT rushing the thread along ~_~)
Everyone who will not follow this rule will be promptly shot. Traitors and jerks will be shot too. Detractors will be exterminated by beating them with counterarguments and heavy big purple object shaped like dragon.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
*sees that only 3 pages are left for 1000*

Hey guys why does this thread still exist? he was deconfirmed during the direct, also we already have many reptilian fighters, he wouldn't be original, also he's big as ****!

Saint Johns

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HyperSlash

Hey guys why does this thread still exist? he was deconfirmed during the direct, also we already have many reptilian fighters, he wouldn't be original, also he's big as ****!
Please tell me that you're just trolling.

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
So close indeed. Ridley has been hinted and shown to be bowsers size. We must push on to the august direct!

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Um.... can we have some context here? All I see is somebody who has an opinion and different view.
"Sakurai put a lot into really recreating Ridley well in Brawl."

Ridley was literally a Dynablade reskin in Brawl. He also stood around for hours waiting for you to beat on him.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

...ok, pull out your counterarguments and heavy big purple Ridley plushies, jentlemen(s?), we have nothing to do until we will reach 1000th page anyway. He will at least help us reach 1000th page faster. *being not funny*
Um.... can we have some context here? All I see is somebody who has an opinion and different view.
How can he be well recreated if he doesn`t even uses fireballs?! That is already bad. And none of his physical attacks used his arms for whatever reasons.

Last edited:

Isaiah Stewart

Smash Rookie
Wait a minute, does any one remember this?

Well look at the bottom-left hand corner, the lava is usually at the very bottom of the Pyrosphere, and yet now it seems like the lava is very close to the stage. At first I thought it was because of the lava pillar, but then I realized the lava is too far to the left than the lava pillar's flow. Does this convince anyone that lava is indeed the stage hazard?

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
SCAN0223.JPG

this is going to be a wierd one....I couldn't think on anything that is kinda funny/silly with those two today for some reason...

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
"Sakurai put a lot into really recreating Ridley well in Brawl."

Ridley was literally a Dynablade reskin in Brawl.
How can he be well recreated if he doesn`t even uses fireballs?! That is already bad. And none of his physical attacks used his arms for whatever reasons.
True, as a boss Ridley fell a bit short, lacking one of his signature attacks and having recycled patterns from Dynablade and Master Hand.

But can you honestly truly say Ridley, as in Ridley the Character, wasn't recreated well???

Brawl Ridley created the "wall scrubbing" technique Ridley is now famous for. We as a thread have not been one bit shy using and re-using and rerererererere-using the Brawl Ridley model in pictures and comparisons and stuff. While Ridley's boss behavior leaves a lot to desire, Ridley himself really does come off as ferocious and intimidating as we would all like (and size never plays a part in it).

Maybe that GameFAQs user embellished a bit. But be honest, Brawl Ridley at least looks and moves quite good. Did they deserve to be considered an idiot for being impressed? Even "ignorant" is a bit strong. Not everybody has our high expectations for Ridley. =/

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Well look at the bottom-left hand corner, the lava is usually at the very bottom of the Pyrosphere, and yet now it seems like the lava is very close to the stage. At first I thought it was because of the lava pillar, but then I realized the lava is too far to the left than the lava pillar's flow. Does this convince anyone that lava is indeed the stage hazard?
What the FLICK.

Okay, new information! Though I'm hesitant to say that a traditional rising lava hazard is going to be in play, as the platforms are far too spaced apart to make rising lava a manageable hazard.

Olimario1892

Smash Apprentice

The lava isn't flowing in the final destination version of Pyrosphere,
so the lava is most likely a stage hazard staying true to tradition.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
The lava isn't flowing in the final destination version of Pyrosphere,
so the lava is most likely a stage hazard staying true to tradition.
Uh, I'm sorry to say this but:

It's there in the FD version. I don't think it rules it out entirely, but the chances of it actually happening are slim.

Top Bottom