• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
More like the other way around. Ridley and Krystal have had fans for far longer than K. Rool and Palutena, especially Ridley, but on a global scale, the latter two have more requests.

But what Diddy and bobadz said as well.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
This is why I never leave the Krystal thread.

Y'all *******.

But yeah, they are more popular than her, just on an irrelevant scale. All four are popular enough to be noted as "a popular choice".

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
ridley, k.rool, palutena and little mac are the minimum characters to get in for me, especially ridley since of how much he has been neglected since melee.

anyone else is just bonus

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
ridley, k.rool, palutena and little mac are the minimum characters to get in for me, especially ridley since of how much he has been neglected since melee.

anyone else is just bonus
I like this guy. He speaks the truth!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
C'mon why bash Krystal here now? I still believe she would've been a good newcomer for Brawl if we didn't get Wolf.

Also, you could argue Ridley is also only popular cause Metroid barely has any characters worthy of inclusion. Only other option besides Ridley is Mr. MANthony Higgs.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
People expecting Krystal are setting themselves for disappointment. 3 Star Fox reps is enough for the series.
And this is coming from someone who acknowledges Krystal's moveset potential.

But, now, Krystal faces competition from Palutena, both in the female and staff user departments. I wouldn't be surprised if the people who supported Krystal for being female and having a staff have begun supporting Palutena instead for the same reasons. In fact, I currently prefer Palutena over Krystal.

Ridley is way more popular than both Krystal and Palutena... and for a good reason. Some people have been expecting him since pre-Melee, so if Ridley is revealed to be a newcomer, the hype levels will increase exponentially. I have no doubts of that.

Ridley as a newcomer would also mark the first time that Ridley makes an appearance as a playable character EVER, which is one big plus.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Looking back, I really don't see how Ridley was expected pre-Melee actually. Pre-Brawl, ok. But I feel now Ridley's chances are bigger than ever. He's like, a realistic want now.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Close to gigantic.

Still, K.Rool also has a fat chance that cannot be denied. :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
******* know it's all about the girth man. :awesome:

I'll stop now.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dunno man. Buffalo and deer meat look like lean mean protein baby.

I mean, look at the muscle on this one.

Compared to this:

It's like damn bro...

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
alright, I have officially read all posts in this ridley thread. took me three nights, heres what I got from it:

-ridley is either going to be a purple version of the super metoid version, or the Other M version.
-Ridley is not too big, if anything may be awkward.
-Other M has very different opinions about it.
-Diddy lost to ridley in super metroid 4 times. :troll:

D

Deleted member

Notably, regardless of moveset potential, it seems that any future Star Fox character (other than non-pilots like Andross) are doomed to be semi-clones.
I mean, with Assault, Sakurai could have easily given Falco and Wolf Specials that derive from that (or even Fox, and he could have given Fox the staff to use due to Adventures), yet they all Specials similar to Fox, which are based off of actions used in the ships.
So, even if Krystal DOES get in, and even if she DOES have the staff, at most that would do is have another Wolf situation; similar Specials to the rest, yet completely different normal attacks (that use the staff). I'm saying this out of logic, not bias.

But none of that has to do with Ridori.
Going by what I've found with the character roster being "finalized" by July 2005, it gives a new perspective on what Sakurai said about Ridley.

Think about the question he was asked: "There was a rumor at one point about Ridley being playable. Was that ever a consideration?"
His response: " I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]"

When you remember that characters were decided upon early 2005, before Ridley was seriously requested to his knowledge (I mean, the pre-Melee poll didn't even have him, it only had the Baby Metroid), it would have been "pretty impossible" for Ridley to have been considered as a character.
The "best efforts" could quite possibly refer to having to add him as a late addition like Sonic was, and as Sakurai noted, late additions would cause problems with production.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

>Moveset based on StarFox Adventures
>A Fox semi-clone

Not saying she's likely at all. But I just cannot see it happening. And I don't even see her getting in without her staff in the first place.

Ridley-related: Whoa, a late Ridley addition would've been scary. Just look how screwed up Sonic is. I have no problem waiting for this one to have Ridley playable.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I just realized something.

if no new metroid games are announced before smash is released, ridley is seen twice in his skinnier form after his other M appearance. once in metroid blast, where he was a mechacanical version of himself but not in the more recent other M form it was his skinnier form, as well as the WiiU VC release of super metroid is going to be released in may. if we are going off what version of ridley was last seen in, he technically has TWO safe backups of his skinny form before Other M, so by that logic he will be skinny in SSB4.

you gotta love facts.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Skinny Ridley is most iconic yeah. But Other M buff Ridley has some awesome physical attacks on him.

Also, that's some nice bulking bro.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Skinny Ridley is most iconic yeah. But Other M buff Ridley has some awesome physical attacks on him.
well I was going off recent releases and not what was the most... um... "fightingy" version of ridley. so yeah i guess it could go either way.

D

Deleted member

Way to miss the point, Diddy.
Krystal is a pilot; pilots were given Specials based off of the ships. Ergo, Krystal would have Specials based off the ships as well.
Krystal has staff; Wolf has claws; Wolf was given different non-Specials. Ergo, the staff would be used for different non-Specials.

Aside from that, the staff itself can easily replicate the Specials.
Fire Blaster shots can be shot like Blaster shots.
Rocket Boost can be turned into a move similar to Fire Fox/Bird/Wolf Shoot.
ForceField can be used like a Reflector.
Only thing missing is a Dash based move like Fox Illusion/Falco Phantasm/Wolf Flash, but it isn't that hard to make something up. It could even incorporate the Ice Blaster and be an Ice Dash of sorts.

So to say the staff automatically means no similar moves is flawed.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just want Ridley. Although he could borrow elements from both his skinny and Other M appearances.

D

Deleted member

The Other M Ridley ironically covers a lot of issues that people have over "skinny" Ridley not fitting.
Most notable thing is the neck. It's "normal" instead of pencil-thin and kinky (not the sexual term).

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I just think Other M Ridley is the best design(which is beastly). Not to mention that he doesn't look totally out of place on the ground.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
The Other M Ridley ironically covers a lot of issues that people have over "skinny" Ridley not fitting.
Most notable thing is the neck. It's "normal" instead of pencil-thin and kinky (not the sexual term).
however, I, like many others, prefer the skinny version due to being in more (and better) games. also, my point earlier was his 2 most recent appearances are the skinny versions. its popularity and recency make it (in my opinion) more likely.

however beefy ridley has a better moveset, so it has that going for it.

D

Deleted member

His two most recent appearances were Other M and Prime 3.
Neither of which are "skinny".

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
C'mon why bash Krystal here now? I still believe she would've been a good newcomer for Brawl if we didn't get Wolf.

Also, you could argue Ridley is also only popular cause Metroid barely has any characters worthy of inclusion. Only other option besides Ridley is Mr. MANthony Higgs.
You know i love you diddy but how many times do i need to tell you that the only Metroid Reps worth getting is Ridley/Dark Samus or Sylux if he is gonna be in the next 3D Metroid for WiiU doubt they will be a Prime4 to give him a boost.

Even Rundad if done properly would be sick but didnt mention him for obvious reasons...

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I just realized something.

if no new metroid games are announced before smash is released, ridley is seen twice in his skinnier form after his other M appearance. once in metroid blast, where he was a mechacanical version of himself but not in the more recent other M form it was his skinnier form, as well as the WiiU VC release of super metroid is going to be released in may. if we are going off what version of ridley was last seen in, he technically has TWO safe backups of his skinny form before Other M, so by that logic he will be skinny in SSB4.
His two most recent appearances were Other M and Prime 3.
Neither of which are "skinny".
yup

D

Deleted member

You count a robot that takes a different design and a Virtual Console re-release over actual new appearances? Lol.
By that logic, his appearance in his Other M form in Dead or Alive Dimensions counts as another point for non-skinny Ridley.

Aside from that, the Ridley Robot from Nintendo Land looks pretty fat to me. :laugh:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
You count a robot that takes a different design and a Virtual Console re-release over actual new appearances? Lol.
By that logic, his appearance in his Other M form in Dead or Alive Dimensions counts as another point for non-skinny Ridley.

Aside from that, the Ridley Robot from Nintendo Land looks pretty fat to me. :laugh:
I counted anything that wasn't other M ridley "skinny ridley" since he is skinnier by comparison. Also, I do count his appearance from dead or alive dimensions, but I have no idea when that came out :/

i do think that ridley could get in either way, i'd just prefer non-other M ridley

Top Bottom