• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Giga Bowser (even Melee style) is bigger than I have in mind. Not sure if I would like this direction.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Giga Bowser (even Melee style) is bigger than I have in mind. Not sure if I would like this direction.
He would be far too big of a target as well, all 3 other players would end up causing a ton of damage (either intentional or not) to him at that size and it just wouldnt be worth it. Hed have to have some serious super armor just to be able to finish his move animations as well without getting knocked out of them.

D

Deleted member

He probably wouldn't be at the same level depending on his fighting stance, especially if he's going all fours like in Other M (which ironically, his design from it covers a crapton of issues people have with Ridley "fitting" outside of size (which is not much of an issue in the first place), though is continuously shooed away because it's "ugly".).
After all, Donkey Kong is actually the tallest playable character in Smash. You just can't tell because of his posture.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I can't find a video of a match between Giga Bowser and other characters on Youtube, just one against Crazy Hand.
Anyway I don't say it couldn't work on, I don't know, Final Destination for example. But in the Temple? Isn't he half inside the ground when he goes in the bottom area? That's what I mean with goofy and out of place.
If they take this direction for Ridley they should made every stage in relation to his dimension, and that means: 1) no stage returning from previous installments except a few ones, and anyway no similar stages and 2) If you make a match without Ridley the whole place will look far too big and dispersive like New Pork City for example.
I'm sure that Ridley, if he makes it in, will be bigger than everyone, but not that big. I see this working only in special matches for example.

D

Deleted member

Until you have used Giga Bowser in Melee, please do not make judgements on his "goofiness".

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Ridley taunts? Challenge accepted!

Up: Ridley faces the camera and roars with his head facing upward.
Side: Ridley faces his left and slowly moves the head to face his right, all while breathing small amounts of fire.
Down: Ridley flaps his wings twice, letting off a roar in the end, his head facing forward.

D

Deleted member

I've played with him on all stages. I know what in the Hell I am talking about. Aside from that, every character's model will collide with the stages at various points, making that point rather moot.
There are some stages that are rather too small to use him effectively (such as Yoshi's Story), but that's just a counter (easy to KO yourself if you aren't careful) to a great strength (little room for opponents to avoid you, making them easy to KO).

But this isn't a Giga Bowser thread. This is a Ridley thread. My point still stands that if Giga Bowser can work fine as a character, then Sakurai has no excuse for Ridley. I'm not saying that Ridley has to be Melee GB size; never did. Just saying that a large character is no issue considering it's been done.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
It hasn't been done actually. If you count action replay, then even Master Hand as a playable character as been done.
I'm certainly believe that Ridley could work, but I'm sure Giga Bowser in Melee isn't at all a demonstration of that.
Actually, I think it's the opposite of what Sakurai should do with Ridley.

D

Deleted member

Seriously, shut up.
Master Hand's situation does not match Giga Bowser's.
Giga Bowser functions like a regular character; Master Hand does not. STOP USING MASTER HAND AS A COUNTERPOINT.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Seriously, shut up.
Giga Bowser functions like a regular character; Master Hand does not. STOP USING MASTER HAND AS A COUNTERPOINT.
You should stop using Giga Bowser as an argument in favor of Ridley really. He isn't a playable character. There must be a reason.
You're really childish anyway, it isn't the first time you get all worked up after a discussion. And now don't use the excuse "I'm not angry because I write in caps lock!!!1". Believe what you want anyway dude.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Seriously, shut up.
Golden. You're acting immature. Let it go.

He has a point. Neither of you agree with each other. Neither of you will

Let it go...

And let's get back to a pleasant topic like Ridley's taunts. :p

D

Deleted member

If getting worked up over ignorant people that don't know what they are talking about (and can't learn when to shut up) is being childish, then the world is full of childish people.

I will use Giga Bowser as an example if I damn well please. Just because you lack the knowledge and experience about how he works doesn't mean the example is flawed.
Especially when you actually take the time and use the thing in your head called a brain, and realize that if something like Giga Bowser can work decently, then why shouldn't a smaller (but still larger than the rest of the cast), similar character be able to? That's the big picture of it all. However, you are too damn focused with the small details to understand it.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Well you totally missed my point. That's OK really, I won't bother you anymore.
You can put me in the ignore list also, if that's making you feel better. Seems like your way of doing things here.

D

Deleted member

Considering that my points have been flying over your head left and right because you keep focusing on the small details, it's no surprise that you think I "missed your point".
So yeah, setting you to Ignore is probably the best option. No more seeing your ignorance.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well I tried.

Someone give me popcorn!

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
My God it's the first time someone cancelled me from his virtual life over something this stupid and childish rotfl.
First time for everything.

Also oh God... I'm ignorant about a videogame action replay code... WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE?

D

Deleted member

Well I tried.

Someone give me popcorn!
You could get the popcorn, but there would be no show. Ridley is so big, he took up the whole theater.

though does one really need to be watching something to enjoy a nice bag of poppacorn?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Swampasaur, did you make that avatar? Looks nice.

Ridley will probably have projectiles to help him breath a bit. Just don't give his big wings hit-boxes. Just have attacks ruffle them a bit. Same with the tail, have attacks push it away. Have Ridley curve his neck on top of itself and then you have a frame a little taller than Ganondorf.

Solved.

D

Deleted member

That's actually a little too small, to be honest. That would mean Ridley would not be the largest fighter.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Well, he is allowed to be taller. But the wings not having hitboxes would allow them to take up more space giving him the title of character with the most volume.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
It would be beyond Hilarious if he ends up not being a playable character looool all this trolling/debating/ripping each others guts out all for nothing...

But soon after all that we would all be abit dissapointed....Again.. For some peepz...

PS: If anything..how messed up would it be if he and K.Rool are playable but not Mewtwo (@_#)

But like Roy Or Doc is only one though...loool dunno about you lot but that would be pretty #@#@#@# up....

D

Deleted member

Well, he is allowed to be taller. But the wings not having hitboxes would allow them to take up more space giving him the title of character with the most volume.
Well, there is the option of keeping his body large, but make the wings smaller like how the 2D games handle Ridley (though probably not THAT small...).

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I prefer his lanky form, but wouldn't mind his bodybuilder mold found in Other M as long as he gets in. I do feel like he is not a shoe-in, but I still think his chances of getting in are above average.

If Ridley, K. Rool, and Bowser are in the same game how would you think they line up in weight?

D

Deleted member

Well, I wasn't saying in terms of body shape. I was more referring to keeping Ridley large in general, but have his wings shrunken...
As for weight, I would imagine Ridley being the heaviest, though Bowser vs. K. Rool in general confuses me...on one hand, K. Rool is a very fat croc, but on the other, Bowser's shell probably weights more...

Though going from a Smash sense, since DK is close to Bowser's weight, and I would imagine K. Rool is much heavier than DK, I would say K. Rool would be heavier than Bowser unless Bowser packed some more pounds in the next game.

So from that sense:
1st Ridley
2nd K. Rool
3rd Bowser

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, I wasn't saying in terms of body shape. I was more referring to keeping Ridley large in general, but have his wings shrunken...
As for weight, I would imagine Ridley being the heaviest, though Bowser vs. K. Rool in general confuses me...on one hand, K. Rool is a very fat croc, but on the other, Bowser's shell probably weights more...

Though going from a Smash sense, since DK is close to Bowser's weight, and I would imagine K. Rool is much heavier than DK, I would say K. Rool would be heavier than Bowser unless Bowser packed some more pounds in the next game.

So from that sense:
1st Ridley
2nd K. Rool
3rd Bowser
Really? I could Ridley being the lightest due to being so boney. I'd imagine that his wings and tail aren't that heavy. Unless, y'know we're talking about Meta-Ridley.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I think that if Ridley gets in he will be the tallest but not by much. He would probably have a crouch position, with the head pointing a little bit down, I don't know if you understand. He would probably be the longest though, by a lot. I see him running similar to Charizard, with tail and head pointing in opposite directions making him pretty... long. And I don't think he will be too much heavy but that depends on how much thought Sakurai will put in it. Who knows maybe he will think bigger = heavier.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Ridley has to be decently heavy or he could end up like Mewtwo. Big target without the mass to compensate. I could see him heavier than Bowser depending on how big his build ends up.

Bowser should become a tank character. One of the heaviest, but more concerned with stun resistance and ability to run through light projectiles. He wants to get in close and trade punches.

Ridley I picture fighting a little like Samus. Projectile based, with some ranged moves (like the tail) to keep enemies at a safe distance.

D

Deleted member

Really? I could Ridley being the lightest due to being so boney. I'd imagine that his wings and tail aren't that heavy. Unless, y'know we're talking about Meta-Ridley.
Despite being "boney" (under the assumption that the Other M style is not used), he's got a lot of mass to him.
Sure, he'd probably be more "floaty" of a character than the other two in comparison, but he'd be heavier than them due to his size.

EDIT: @Bowserlick: To be fair, Mewtwo is light because of the excuse that he is using telekinesis to make himself float all the time, which through real world physics, would defintely make someone seem lighter than their natural weight, as weight is determined by the effect of gravity on the individual. Mewtwo making himself float is defying the effects of gravity, thus he's lighter than his natural weight.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Despite being "boney" (under the assumption that the Other M style is not used), he's got a lot of mass to him.
Sure, he'd probably be more "floaty" of a character than the other two in comparison, but he'd be heavier than them due to his size.

EDIT: @Bowserlick: To be fair, Mewtwo is light because of the excuse that he is using telekinesis to make himself float all the time, which through real world physics, would defintely make someone seem lighter than their natural weight, as weight is determined by the effect of gravity on the individual. Mewtwo making himself float is defying the effects of gravity, thus he's lighter than his natural weight.
Oh, I'm not saying he isn't heavy or anything but he, at least to me looks lighter than say, Bowser. Given that Bowser has a bulkier build, and in brawl their models are just about the same in height. If I'm not mistaken that is. I do agree that Ridley should be "floaty" compared to the other heavy hitters.

D

Deleted member

Er, yeah...in Brawl, their height was definitely not the same....
Ridley was much larger than any playable character, being a Boss.

If you're talking about the stance model in the first page, that's just Mario_And_Sonic_Guy's hypothetical take on a "smaller Ridley".

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Swampasaur, did you make that avatar? Looks nice.
Nope. I just googled funny Ridley pictures and this came up.

And I think Ridley would have to be the longest character in the game.

If that makes sense...

D

Deleted member

Nope. I just googled funny Ridley pictures and this came up.

And I think Ridley would have to be the longest character in the game.

If that makes sense...
It's missing the main joke, though.
The whole "Mother Brain can't wear 3D glasses because of having only one eye" gag. :p

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's missing the main joke, though.
The whole "Mother Brain can't wear 3D glasses because of having only one eye" gag. :p
I couldn't get the whole picture without it looking bad.

Plus Crocomire was funnier to me.

Top Bottom