• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Xhampi

Smash Lord
What I don't get is why every one want a lava hazard, if Ridley happen to be playable, I hope to god that it's the neutral Metroid stage that we have waited for since forever.

I guess that we will at least get it thanks to the final destination pyrosphere, but at the cost of the platforms =/

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
So I've been lurking in this thread for a couple of weeks now and I decided that, as a huge Ridley supporter and Metroid fan, I might as well join and start posting. So, hi! :p

My reasons for supporting Ridley are pretty simple. Other than the points already mentioned and discussed to death in this thread, I find it a bit absurd that despise its status as one of Nintendo's primary franchises, the Metroid series still lacks playable representation in the Smash games outside of just Samus.
Hello, welcome to the forum and this thread, and um, I think my avatar is the perfect representation of my reaction to your Mewtwo avatar thing.

Kirbizard

Smash Cadet
It's just sad that Ridley is confirmed to be a hazard, yet some still don't believe that and instead believe he can't be because the lava must be, when there is zero evidence for that.
That's another problem, he's not been properly confirmed as a hazard, just greatly hinted at being one. Which is enough doubt in people's minds to assume anything.

I can't honestly say for sure Ridley is a hazard. I do know that lava has not been hinted towards being one at all though. That certainly would be a curveball!

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well, there is precedence to believe that, considering every Smash Bros. game has introduced a Metroid stage with a lava/acid hazard.

There's just no evidence that this stage is, outside of it happening to be lava themed, which really isn't much evidence at all.
Have we explained the lava coming from the wall then?

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
That's another problem, he's not been properly confirmed as a hazard, just greatly hinted at being one. Which is enough doubt in people's minds to assume anything.

I can't honestly say for sure Ridley is a hazard. I do know that lava has not been hinted towards being one at all though. That certainly would be a curveball!
Honestly, regardless of Ridley's status as a (god forbid) stage hazard/boss/whatever, I wouldn't mind the additional presence of lava as long as it isn't totally overbearing like in the Brinstar stage from Smash Bros N64.

Kirbizard

Smash Cadet
Have we explained the lava coming from the wall then?
Well, in Other M, Samus does cause the lava flow in order to see Ridley in the boss room. So that doesn't help against Ridley being a boss. :V

As for why the flow disappears in the Final Destination form. That is still unexplained, I'll give you that.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well, in Other M, Samus does cause the lava flow in order to see Ridley in the boss room. So that doesn't help against Ridley being a boss. :V

As for why the flow disappears in the Final Destination form. That is still unexplained, I'll give you that.
The only real explanation for it disappearing in the final destination version is if the lava spout interacts SOMEHOW directly or indirectly with the fight. I know how it works in Other M, but that might not carry over here. The issue is whether rising lava is involved or not, the lava coming from the wall more than likely has something to do with a stage hazard. And that may not deconfirm Ridley being a boss hazard in and of itself, but it makes it a little more questionable than it already was.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Here you go, this is the guy who casted the shadow in Pyrosphere :troll:
OmG thank you for this pic very happy Lugia is back hope Ho-Oh is too.
seriously thanks it was quite a big thing for me.

Does anyonr know if master balls are seperate items to pokeballs? Really hope they are so i can complete my long lived

Morbi

Scavenger
OmG thank you for this pic very happy Lugia is back hope Ho-Oh is too.
seriously thanks it was quite a big thing for me.

Does anyonr know if master balls are seperate items to pokeballs? Really hope they are so i can complete my long lived
I am obviously not 100% certain; but I am fairly positive that Master Balls are separate items, similar to the Golden Hammers.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
exactly. that's why i do not draw on flipnote's square space so often...since i do not have miiverse....but certainly in a square i can try to draw a tiny little Ridley....

oh, come on, don't think like that....it is miiverse's fault....for having such limited space to draw
Didn't stop me. Something like Ridley can still be enjoyable to draw on there, even if it's not the whole body. Improvisation and all that.

Speaking of which, glad I came across this Miiverse pic before going to sleep last night.

Also I really wanted to share this picture with you guys. Its of Ridley and Samus. Going by the size comparisons Ridley should actually be around this size in comparison to Samus in Smash 4. Tell me people who think Ridley wouldn't look right shruken down does this look bad to you? (This makes for an amazing wallpaper btw)

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/043/8/f/8fe0c00d650b9938ad3426cd6ef94426-d5vmhci.jpg
No lie, that's actually been the desktop wallpaper of my laptop for months and months... Maybe a couple years now.

Don't you psychoanalyze me, boy.

*picture of joker from batman beyond movie that i was too lazy to get*
Oh, I don't need a degree to figure you out.

:p

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's either because it's the stage hazard of the stage, that is removed in the FD version, or because it goes on and off occasionally, as a bit of an aesthetic touch.
I'd think it'd be the former. It seems odd that the only time we've seen that element removed is on the Final Destination form of the stage. If it just went on and off at certain intervals, you'd think we'd have an image of the regular stage without the lava, or the Final Destination version with it.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
It's just sad that Ridley is confirmed to be a hazard, yet some still don't believe that and instead believe he can't be because the lava must be, when there is zero evidence for that.
Nothing is confirmed. How can you honestly say things like this. Have you not seen any of the evidence? You don't think any of this is suspicious?

WooHooII

Smash Rookie
I just obtained some new info on Smash 4, from the new Nintendo Direct that was broadcast in my dreams last night. In order:

- Ridley's Other M incarnation is a stage hazard on Pyrosphere. He grabs people, but doesn't actually hurt them.
- The new stage builder was demonstrated. All of its objects and graphics were taken directly from Lode Runner: The Legend Returns.
- Ridley is playable, in his Nintendo Land incarnation. Due to size concerns, his wings have been removed. None of his attacks are shown; he just stands there while the other fighters beat up on him.

Overall, it seemed that Sakurai was being rather mean to Ridley for no good reason, which was a bit upsetting.

(I have no idea why I felt the need to post this, but I just registered in order to do so.)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm not going to come in here and rant again like I did before. I don't think he's playable, but I do give you guys credit for sticking with it to the end.

I hope he does wind up playable, but I just can't see it happening myself.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Guys, this needs to be mentioned...

Ridley does NOT grab Pikachu in the Direct. Now I'm sure of it. I went with it even when the shadow didn't seem to completely fit Pikachu's shape (strangely skinny despite no sign shadows work that way on the stage, doesn't struggle at all, seemingly vanishes when Ridley starts moving off screen).

It's actually (ironically) the tip of Ridley's tail. Examining the scenes again, I noticed that just before the part where it looks like he's holding Pikachu you can see the shadow of his tail, and the shadow's jagged, almost like Pikachu's tail. But at that moment it's also clear it's just that: a tail. Soon it moves closer to the spot on the shadow that seems to be around his hands, so it starts to look like he's holding something.

But I'm now convinced he is holding nothing. What does that mean for all the strange movement he's doing? Who knows. It's all just strange movement. Maybe this Ridley really is incomplete. Smash 3DS is coming out sometime (late) summer, but that still leaves a good 7 months for this boss rendition of Ridley to be completed. As ridiculous as it sounds, maybe Sakurai and Co. really aren't finished with Pyrosphere.

Among other things, Ridley seems to cover some considerable length between each of his hands. I could tell by matching the shadow of his hands to the red-white plates on the ground then looking at some Direct videos of the Pyrosphere.

And I'm also sure it's not a composite Ridley design, though that doesn't mean it isn't an improved Other M Model. The parts of the shadow that look to be Ridley's arm also have two spike-like protrusions, just like the Other M model. This could be a good thing. Honestly I would think it as bad news if we had a composite design that was still being used for a boss role. As it is now, the possibility of Sakurai using clones to his advantage is still on the table.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Inb4 Ridley is playable but nobody mains him.
Haha I could see that. I can't wait for the nightmare match up of Ridley vs Little Mac. Ridley just casually picks up Little Mac (Like he did with Pikachu in the shadow video) then slowly floats off the ledge with him then just drops him off where he can't recover.

Guys, this needs to be mentioned...

Ridley does NOT grab Pikachu in the Direct. Now I'm sure of it. I went with it even when the shadow didn't seem to completely fit Pikachu's shape (strangely skinny despite no sign shadows work that way on the stage, doesn't struggle at all, seemingly vanishes when Ridley starts moving off screen).

It's actually (ironically) the tip of Ridley's tail. Examining the scenes again, I noticed that just before the part where it looks like he's holding Pikachu you can see the shadow of his tail, and the shadow's jagged, almost like Pikachu's tail. But at that moment it's also clear it's just that: a tail. Soon it moves closer to the spot on the shadow that seems to be around his hands, so it starts to look like he's holding something.

But I'm now convinced he is holding nothing. What does that mean for all the strange movement he's doing? Who knows. It's all just strange movement. Maybe this Ridley really is incomplete. Smash 3DS is coming out sometime (late) summer, but that still leaves a good 7 months for this boss rendition of Ridley to be completed. As ridiculous as it sounds, maybe Sakurai and Co. really aren't finished with Pyrosphere.

Among other things, Ridley seems to cover some considerable length between each of his hands. I could tell by matching the shadow of his hands to the red-white plates on the ground then looking at some Direct videos of the Pyrosphere.

And I'm also sure it's not a composite Ridley design, though that doesn't mean it isn't an improved Other M Model. The parts of the shadow that look to be Ridley's arm also have two spike-like protrusions, just like the Other M model. This could be a good thing. Honestly I would think it as bad news if we had a composite design that was still being used for a boss role. As it is now, the possibility of Sakurai using clones to his advantage is still on the table.
Uhhh no...You can clearly see Pikachu here. If you look right next to the Pika shadow you can see Ridley's tail hanging down.

http://i.imgur.com/XpKGpy5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

majora_787

Smash Hero
It is possible Pikachu is struggling, just not in a way that is visually apparent from this particular shadow we got.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Nothing is confirmed. How can you honestly say things like this. Have you not seen any of the evidence? You don't think any of this is suspicious?
Oasis_Suspicious is my full name, and I turn it on frequently. Under_Score being my middle name, which ruins that cliche saying thing whatever.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
It is possible Pikachu is struggling, just not in a way that is visually apparent from this particular shadow we got.
Yeah I think the shadow of Ridley's wing just perfectly got in the way of Pika's shadow just as he escaped to the left of the screen.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Yeah I think the shadow of Ridley's wing just perfectly got in the way of Pika's shadow just as he escaped to the left of the screen.
I posted this before, but now's a good time to really use this tool:

http://gfycat.com/ComfortableIncompatibleAzurewingedmagpie#

Ridley's wing does indeed make it tougher to discern. But even before the wing's shadow starts to obscure things I can tell how it starts to form a shape that looks like what we think is Pikachu. Go frame by frame. Watch Ridley's hands and arms. Watch the tip of his tail AND the thin shadow that is the rest of his tail. You'll see how it hangs around the area of examination, the tip of Ridley's tail being what will eventually look like Pikachu's tail.

And again, when Ridley starts moving again, the shape assumed to be Pikachu just ups and poofs. No sign of being dropped or escaping, and it definitely doesn't happen off-scene. It's just gone. That always seemed strange to me, but it makes sense if you consider that Pikachu was never there in the first place.

majora_787

Smash Hero

Ridley's wing does indeed make it tougher to discern. But even before the wing's shadow starts to obscure things I can tell how it starts to form a shape that looks like what we think is Pikachu. Go frame by frame. Watch Ridley's hands and arms. Watch the tip of his tail AND the thin shadow that is the rest of his tail. You'll see how it hangs around the area of examination, the tip of Ridley's tail being what will eventually look like Pikachu's tail.

And again, when Ridley starts moving again, the shape assumed to be Pikachu just ups and poofs. No sign of being dropped or escaping, and it definitely doesn't happen off-scene. It's just gone. That always seemed strange to me, but it makes sense if you consider that Pikachu was never there in the first place.
Unless of course Pikachu escaped the grab and ended up overlapping Ridley's shadow making it equally hard to tell what is happening.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Oh, I'm not the only one who doesn't think Ridley grabbed Pikachu? That's nice.

So yeah, I agree with what you're saying. The only thing that looked like Pikachu in that shadow was Pikachu's "tail," but even then I still think that's just part of Ridley's shadow that happens to look like Pikachu. Though, if Ridley isn't picking up Pikachu, I have to wonder what that does for his chances.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
One more thing to consider: If Ridley was even performing a grab, why would the shadow of his arms move parallel with the stage?? Would only make sense if he was on the ground. Which he clearly isn't. We can't assume Pikachu leaped into the air either. If Ridley was snatching Pikachu off the ground, the shadow would stretch toward the bottom of the scene, not the left side.

And again, no Pikachu is not escaping the grab. The moments between the assumed hold and assumed release are instant along with Ridley's change in position, and that instant is also when the Pikachu-like shadow simply vanishes.

This can't be counted as an escape. There needs to be some evidence he left Ridley's grip. Frame-by-frame, Ridley's wing shadow does not obscure enough that we would not notice an independent shadow moving toward the bottom of the screen. All shadow observed is attached to one main body, and this never changes.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984

Ok I'm seeing what your trying to say but its not just Pika's tail but its his body. You can see Ridley's left arm and where it ends and his foot right under it. Actually now watching it again this slow im seeing Ridley has 2 toes on his feet like Super Metroid Ridley (I think). Either thats Pika's body or Ridley right arm/foot is waaaay longer then his left. Not just longer but fatter too.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I think that "Pikachu" tail is just Ridley's tail. The shadows are just distorted by the terrain.

So yeah, either playable or a boss who has a move where he just floats in the middle of the stage doing absolutely nothing.

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
I will be honest when I saw the Direct I didn't think he was grabbing pikachu, I thought that he went idle and was using a fire breathing attack (which was why he stood there for a second). It was only until I came back here that I saw other people think that it was pikachu instead.

But I guess it is like the cow within the inkblots, once you see the image you can't unsee the cow that lies within.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Didn't stop me. Something like Ridley can still be enjoyable to draw on there, even if it's not the whole body. Improvisation and all that.

Speaking of which, glad I came across this Miiverse pic before going to sleep last night.

No lie, that's actually been the desktop wallpaper of my laptop for months and months... Maybe a couple years now.

Oh, I don't need a degree to figure you out.

:p
:) maybe i will get back with Rosalina and Ridley someday....but now to practice Omega until i literally die trying...

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
question to the masses I have a question no one has yet answered, has a director ever said something was a boss like hey did with ridley just to trick them and instead something more desired to the fans(playable here)

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
You must discover the cow that lies with within... :reverse:
Crap you might be right.....Seen this in a different thread.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/dm702g.jpg

The terrain is giving the illusion of Pikachu's tail.....Oh no.... Assuming its not Pikachu then what is that yellow circled? I can make out Ridley's left foot in the pic above but assuming the circled yellow is his right foot why does it seem longer and filled with no spaces bewteen toes? If the red is actually Ridley's tail....The tail is most likely behind the right foot so the shadow of the tail could be hiding the toes and also giving the illusion of a solid object (What I thought was Pikachu's body)

Ridley could also be doing his classic flying pose where he kinda has one foot tucked closer to his body and that could explain why one leg looks longer/bigger then the other....

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/121691/2755011-er_ridley_sm.png

So good chance all the Pikachu/Ridley shadow stuff was worthless....

Last edited:
Top Bottom