• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
If ridley doesn't end up in and Sakurai says zero suit samus is the second metroid rep I would be angry. There is no one other than ridley.

PlasticBag

Smash Apprentice
I know I've shown these pics before but I'm gonna do it again one more time. Sorry if the size comparisons from me are getting alittle repetitive.

Here is our Smash 4 Ridley....What it looks to me that he is 2 Pikachu's tall......Now picture him holding Bowser for a second....Its gonna look ridiculous...and I love it. Thats also why I had our amazing artist AndreaAC draw me that picture of Ridley carring Bowser not only for a good laugh but to prove a point.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2..._2014_04_10_um_23_35_45_by_lilt92-d7dxcjy.png

Now these are 100% FACTS! This Ridley is scaled down there is no debating that. If you don't agree with this your just wrong. He is skinner and just over all waaaay smaller then Other M Ridley who he is based off of.

Here is Other M Ridley in Other M. This monster could fit Smash 4 Other M Ridley in his hand....Heck he could flick Smash 4 Ridley and send him flying lol.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...arge_Geothermal_Power_Plant_Pyrosphere_HD.jpg

I just don't see how this baby sized Ridley is our stage hazard I just don't.....

>baby sized

Kidding me, he still looks big. lmao

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Space Pirate Logs - Entry #2: Day 9

Another day has passed since the "shadow" incident in the Pyrosphere sector and we still have yet to receive any further information regarding our Commander. Though it's worth pointing out that the most recent PotD did displayed a creature that vaguely resembles another Elite Space Pirate, Lieutenant Phantoon. Whether or not this creature has any connections to the actual Lt. is yet to be confirmed, but fellow space pirates do find it quite funny.

PlasticBag

Smash Apprentice
I recommend you buy some glasses then sir or actually look at the size comparisons.
Actually, I can see fine thanks, and I did look at the size comparisons, it just won't work.

H
eck, even Sakurai he wouldn't work out, saying how he'll be "slow", would you all want Ridley to be put in the game just to be slow. Did you forget about that?

Let me refresh you memories.

NP: There was a rumor at one point about Ridley being playable. Was that ever a consideration?

Sakurai: I think that would probably be impossible.[laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that have been all right? [laughs]

Neighbor_Kid

Smash Cadet
Actually, I can see fine thanks, and I did look at the size comparisons, it just won't work.

H
eck, even Sakurai he wouldn't work out, saying how he'll be "slow", would you all want Ridley to be put in the game just to be slow. Did you forget about that?

NP: There was a rumor at one point about Ridley being playable. Was that ever a consideration?

Sakurai: I think that would probably be impossible.[laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that have been all right? [laughs]
You forgot the part where he said Villager was too innocent to fight.

PlasticBag

Smash Apprentice
Someone isn't going to get any likes.
Edited for at least I'm gonna get likes.
Edited for **** you SerPete.
>Edited for at least I'm gonna get likes.

On a Ridley Supporter thread? lol ok

Just say something good about Ridley, and you have guarantee likes.

Edit: And to answer your question SchAlternate, Villager was planned to be playable, but as Neighbor_Kid said, he wasn't in it because he "wasn't suited for battle." But hey, at least Villager was planned.

And you all know that Ridley is a big part of the Metroid franchise, he would have been added a LONG time ago.
See what I did there? :yoshi2:

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984

H

Spoken like a true person who doesn't know what he's talking about. Oh and from the looks of the shadow he does seem rather slow while flying forward.

PlasticBag

Smash Apprentice
Spoken like a true person who doesn't know what he's talking about. Oh and from the looks of the shadow he does seem rather slow while flying forward.
>who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Lol, care to point out the facts of which I don't know what I'm talking about? And as for the shadow, why don't you measure it and come back to me.

Oh and btw, I edited one of my posts, just for you. :)

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I do not understand, why some people want to mess with us badly, why they want us to lost hope? because if that what some people really want, it is not going to work....

PlasticBag

Smash Apprentice
I do not understand, why some people want to mess with us badly, why they want us to lost hope? because if that what some people really want, it is not going to work....
Mess with you? Lose hope badly? That's not what I'm here for at all. lol

Frankly, I'm only pointing out facts. / Want a lovely discussion.

There's no need to feel so down about it right? Besides, It's just a game.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

I CAN'T STAND THESE EVIDENCES ANYMORE!!!

Reactions aside, this pretty much confirms lava as hazard but why would rildey AND lava be an hazard?

EDIT: nope I was dum no sm design lol.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

I'm not sure about those facts you are pointing out....and most of those had already been proven to be wrong...so hear those again feels kind of annoying.....

and of you say so....

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
>who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Lol, care to point out the facts of which I don't know what I'm talking about? And as for the shadow, why don't you measure it and come back to me.

Oh and btw, I edited one of my posts, just for you. :)
Here take a look at this. No exact measurements but it will kinda give you an idea. If you can't see that he is resized then I don't know what to tell ya.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68996063

Oh and here is the shadow Ridley/Pika I love so much.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2..._2014_04_10_um_23_35_45_by_lilt92-d7dxcjy.png

So yeah baby Ridley for Smash.

Kirbizard

Smash Cadet
I CAN'T STAND THESE EVIDENCES ANYMORE!!!

Reactions aside, this pretty much confirms lava as hazard but why would rildey AND lava be an hazard?
Sorry. This doesn't confirm lava as a hazard. It's just part of the stage that's visible under the main platform, which we knew already.

Last edited:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman

I think I'll jump into the discussion, then.

When Sakurai said that Ridley was impossible, it was jokingly. And being slow doesn't equal impossibility. Otherwise, Bowser, Ganondorf, Snake, Charizard, and Dedede would've been scrapped faster than the Villager.

And even if an AC character was planned, he still deemed them impossible. Actually, anything from the GameCube era - sans Pikmin - was too peaceful to have any playable representation. Yet, here we are, talking about the Wii Fit Trainer's Sun Salutation (I know that's from the Wii, but it's still a casual game that revolves around aerobics and yoga over any actual action).

But what does it matter? Ridley is an iconic Nintendo character; easily the most iconic Metroid character fit for playable status. And I'm hard pressed to say that people would probably find the option to play as a flying space dragon of death pretty appealing.

In the end, that's all that matters.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
dit: And to answer your question SchAlternate, Villager was planned to be playable, but as Neighbor_Kid said, he wasn't in it because he "wasn't suited for battle." But hey, at least Villager was planned.

And you all know that Ridley is a big part of the Metroid franchise, he would have been added a LONG time ago.
See what I did there? :yoshi2:
Huh, that's interesting to note.

But there's a problem with that last point: Ridley never really had a big chance of getting in prior to this game.

By the time of SSB and SSBM's release, the Metroid series only had three games released, only two of them having Ridley in it. At the time, Ridley didn't have that much importance to the franchise, being one of Mother Brain's lackeys, though a brief backstory was pointed out on his Melee trophy (I think...). Plus, Metroid wasn't a truly iconic franchise at the time with only three games, so adding another 'rep' wasn't necessary

Brawl could arguably the first title in which Ridley had a shot at it, but since other characters were prioritized over him, such as Pit, Wario, Dedede, etc, he just had too much competition to earn a spot in the roster. Though given the growing popularity of both the Metroid franchise and Ridley himself, he did have a more prominent role than being just a cameo.

This game pretty much marks the first time Ridley has an advantage over other characters; not only is he even more demanded this time around, but he also has less competition to deal with; he can also boast a potentially unique moveset, with that being Sakurai's main priotrity; and other miscellaneous tidbits.

So yeah, there's that.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Let's not forget the fact that integral characters to a franchise as big as Donkey Kong - specifically, King K. Rool and Dixie Kong - have yet to be in the game, also. But they're more than deserving of a spot.

PlasticBag

Smash Apprentice
Here take a look at this. No exact measurements but it will kinda give you an idea. If you can't see that he is resized then I don't know what to tell ya.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68996063

Oh and here is the shadow Ridley/Pika I love so much.

So yeah baby Ridley for Smash.
This does change my suspicions...only slightly.

I have a question OblivionWolf, compare Ridley's purple outline, to Fox's shadow. And tell me what you think. Just curious.

http://i.imgur.com/YNzk1mc.jpg

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
He takes the time to show off the lava yet doesn't show a character getting hurt by it or even gives a mention to it rising, yet some believe that's still more likely to be a hazard than Ridley.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Having Ridley shoot a giant Fireball that fills up the screen like in Other M would be cool. Unless they had him turn into Meta Ridley or one of his other alternate forms. But that might be a little redundant with Charizard, Little Mac, Lucario, and likely Bowser and Sonic getting transformations for their Final Smashes.

Kirbizard

Smash Cadet
He takes the time to show off the lava yet doesn't show a character getting hurt by it or even gives a mention to it rising, yet some believe that's still more likely to be a hazard than Ridley.
Well, there is precedence to believe that, considering every Smash Bros. game has introduced a Metroid stage with a lava/acid hazard.

There's just no evidence that this stage is, outside of it happening to be lava themed, which really isn't much evidence at all.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Fans always wanting things from a game can be a good thing. It can keep the devs motivated to make the best game possible can...... With that said, very often on any game forum people will start to take it too far, and sometimes get so emotionally involved that they start to insult devs at the slightest mistakes.
This does change my suspicions...only slightly.

I have a question OblivionWolf, compare Ridley's purple outline, to Fox's shadow. And tell me what you think. Just curious.

http://i.imgur.com/YNzk1mc.jpg
Fox is facing towards the light source. Considering he's basicly just a tall character, most of his size cannot be seen because of the shadow.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well, there is precedence to believe that, considering every Smash Bros. game has introduced a Metroid stage with a lava/acid hazard.

There's just no evidence that this stage is, outside of it happening to be lava themed, which really isn't much evidence at all.
It's just sad that Ridley is confirmed to be a hazard, yet some still don't believe that and instead believe he can't be because the lava must be, when there is zero evidence for that.

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
So I've been lurking in this thread for a couple of weeks now and I decided that, as a huge Ridley supporter and Metroid fan, I might as well join and start posting. So, hi! :p

My reasons for supporting Ridley are pretty simple. Other than the points already mentioned and discussed to death in this thread, I find it a bit absurd that despise its status as one of Nintendo's primary franchises, the Metroid series still lacks playable representation in the Smash games outside of just Samus.

Top Bottom