• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
There are other unlockables plenty more popular than Ridles.
Also, his popularity on these boards is skewed and a little misleading. He is not at all popular amongst more casual (or even non forum visting) fans. And not very big in Japan.
There's only one character in mind that can fit that and that's mewtwo most wanted japan and usa

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
I have no clue where Pikachu's shadow is supposed to be, even when people draw it out. Lil' stinker.

Oh, and uh, my take on this biz that one person might care about:

- That thing on Pyrosphere is a boss and also a Ridley
- There's precedent for characters appearing as playable and non-playable simultaneously
- There's precedent for two Ridleys (and other twosies), kinda
- I expect nothing
- Mobile devices are ****ing terrible

-

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337
Fun fact - In the Ultimate Universe, the Sinister Six actually succeed in killing Spiderman (Peter Parker)

I no longer read Spiderman comics
Silly samusrules93, there is no such thing as death in comics.They always come back via time vortex
I have no clue where Pikachu's shadow is supposed to be, even when people draw it out. Lil' stinker.

- There's precedent for characters appearing as playable and non-playable simultaneously
- I expect nothing

-
...what?

Last edited:

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
There's only one character in mind that can fit that and that's mewtwo most wanted japan and usa
I just hope you're aware that the kind of popularity that you're talking about only covers the hardcore forum visiting section of the market. Not the market as a whole.
That's the reason why characters who are not very popular on these polls make it in. i.e. Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Villager and potentially Chorus men.
These characters are meant to appeal more to the bigger non-forum visiting part of the market.

The portion of the market who participate in these polls and visit these forums are actually a minority. The character reveals so far reflect that.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero

- I expect nothing

-
Well, whether he is or not, there is a lot there to keep the possibility of Other M Ridley not being a boss at all. So who knows.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Fun fact - In the Ultimate Universe, the Sinister Six actually succeed in killing Spiderman (Peter Paker)

I no longer read Spiderman comics
Yeah, seeing Spider-Man constantly being tormented by the writers can stop being amusing after a while.

I mean, Ultimate Pete dies after being practically guaranteed a happily ever after, mainstream Peter sells his marriage to Satan to save the life of a really old woman, and got possessed by Doc Ock for a while.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I just hope you're aware that the kind of popularity that you're talking about only covers the hardcore forum visiting section of the market. Not the market as a whole.
That's the reason why characters who are not very popular on these polls make it in. i.e. Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Villager and potentially Chorus men.
These characters are meant to appeal more to the bigger non-forum visiting part of the market.

The portion of the market who participate in these polls and visit these forums are actually a minority. The character reveals so far reflect that.
Which is why I keep scratching my head when forum polls are cited as evidence for a character's popularity.

I mean, this is the same forum that doesn't think Lucario was more marketed than Charizard and Mewtwo. (I'd say all three are on equal grounds now with X/Y, though)

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
How about I change up the topic a bit,

If you guys were face to face with Ridley and he was about to kill you how you want him to do it.
These are some I thought of:
-eaten
-crushed
-burned alive
-skewered

Personally I would want to be skewered by his tail.

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice

If you guys were face to face with Ridley and he was about to kill you how you want him to do it.
-eaten
-crushed
-burned alive
-skewered

Well ain't that a pleasant thing to think about.
Well I'd like to be burned alive.
Because that way, between my screams of agony, I can say for once in my life, that I'm hot.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
The most probable outcome for me is that Ridley bursts into the bathroom while I'm taking a shower, screaming relentlessly in my face, and I'll die from absolute shock (with my hair going white and everything).

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I do hope some new Ridley thing pops up soon, I can't think of any subjects to bring up in reguards to Ridley.

-eaten
-crushed
-burned alive
-skewered

Because I'm bored, over-tired, and that this is the strangest question I've been asked in a while I'll answer it.

Being burned alive would be the most painful so that's out.
Being Skewered would take a while to kill you. While it seems badass at a glance, it'd probably be boring just hangin on his tail for a while.

Which leaves being crushed/eaten. Problem with being crushed is that it's pretty vague. If it's the crushing of the skull that basicly instantly kills you then I'd pick that. However if it's the kind of slow crushing that makes your eyes feel like they are about to burst and such I'd prefer to be eaten.
Whatever the case is, if Ridley is really sadistic like people say about the manga, he'd probably find ways to prolong the death.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be going to sleep now, where I will probably regret this post upon awakening tomorrow. :bubblebobble:

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Well ain't that a pleasant thing to think about.
Well I'd like to be burned alive.
Because that way, between my screams of agony, I can say for once in my life, that I'm hot.
Your avatar just makes this perfect.

-eaten
-crushed
-burned alive
-skewered

What, no mindless follower/disciple option? I'd think of it as an honorable Primal-Rage-esque sacrifice/privilege to serve as sustenance.

Ridley Tribe Sacrifice.png

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

With a strong light and a specific angle, a shadow can be an EXAGGERATION of the original corporeal body's true size.

Here's an example:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Ok...i have been gone for a few minutes and now everyone wants to get killed by Ridley? oh God...

@Shinru202 Awww...that tiny cutie Ridley of yours is so adorable!

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Just stopping by to see how you ladies and gentlemen were doing. Don't think I've posted in this thread since the direct, since admittedly I don't care all that much about the game anymore (note: it's not just Ridley's shaken status, if that's what you're wondering). It seems that now we've been thrusted in a much more painful "wait and see" period for 100% official word on the matter, which probably won't come to either e3 or when the 3DS version is released.

My stance on the matter I think was made pretty clearly the first time: under the context of the direct, he was being teased and hyped up to be a boss character (which, if you take a look at the Yellow Devil coverage, seems to be nothing more then an over-glorified, even more match-intrusive stage hazards, but I digress :p) and things definitely aren't looking good, there is indeed still hope for a possible reversal, though admittedly I'm not getting my hopes up anymore. To put it simply: hope for the best, expect the worse.

I'm definitely interested in possibly getting some more media attention to this situation, if worse comes to worse. Since I'm needy and always wanting my way like a big baby (:p), I would like some definitive answers on the issue, and ways of possibly putting Ridley out there more and letting both journalists and Nintendo know that we wanted Ridley playable in Smash. I'm guessing next time we really need to make our voices heard (with rationality of course, don't want to be a raging fanboy/girls :smirk:) and making mock-ups like Angelglory's models going viral would be nice.

Anyways the road to e3 is going to be a long one, I can see. :)

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Why have White Robes and Kool-Aid when Xenopterodactyloids achieve the same purpose?
I...I just have no words.....I think i will have to use the remaining blood for the rest of his war propaganda...What? do you thought i was going to say that i want him to kill me as well? oh no, im at his services...

S2A571_0D5103617790C_000.gif

"Oh, yes, indeed she is."

So, while the rest of you is getting killed...i will be still working for him...

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master

So people who are actually invested in video games are ignored, makes sense

Zulyar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4914-3978-9790
i wasn't a ridley believer at first but the direct only made me think he will be playable.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
So people who are actually invested in video games are ignored, makes sense
Not ignored. They obviously want to cater to both casual and hardcore groups.

They just want to reach as wide an audience as possible. If they only target SSB games to hardcore online forum dwelling gamers then they wouldn't sell very many copies and wouldn't be able to afford putting so many resources into making the game great.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Not ignored. They obviously want to cater to both casual and hardcore groups.

They just want to reach as wide an audience as possible. If they only target SSB games to hardcore online forum dwelling gamers then they wouldn't sell very many copies and wouldn't be able to afford putting so many resources into making the game great.
Yeah so let's hope they actually target both and give the online people their most wanted characters..

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Yeah so let's hope they actually target both and give the online people their most wanted characters..
There's no question we'll get some.
We already have many characters not typically known to casuals but popular amongst hardcore fans
i.e. Falco, Wolf, MetaKnight, Dedede, Lucario, Sheik, C. Falcon, Ness/Lucas, Ganondorf, Marth etc... (some of these are debatable).

Unfortunately it seems that casuals have been favored with the reveals so far though.
The fact that most hardcore fans will buy the game no matter what doesn't help our cause.

On the plus side, the type of characters that hardcore fans like are more likely to be unlockable, which would explain why so few have been revealed so far.

Last edited:

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
If Ridley is deconfirmed I will weep for this thread.

"If" means "when" for this post.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ridley starts with R.
R is the eighteenth letter in the alphabet.
18/6=3
Half-Life 3 Confirmed / Ridley Deconfirmed.

Checkmate Atheists.
FOOL! THIS ONLY INDICATES/MEANS THAT HALF-LIFE 3 DISCONFIRMED, RIDLEY CONFIRMED!..or that Metroid Prime 3 is awesome...

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
if ridley is not in sakurai is either a **** or out of touch with the fanbase, with him teasing that side don't matter on 2-3 potd. If he done his research should know it would stir up the ridley community, a person just getting into smash can learn that ridley size is the biggest debate in smash so the director of the game should know.

It not just favortism speaking there is evidence that ridley is the mot wanted newcomer by far look at the post/view count it dwarfs the post/view count of every character and 4x the size of the second highest which is rool at 7,000(last I checked). So if he is ignored again I think the ridley fanbase has the right to be po because clearly sakurai does not know what he is doing and letting his personal bias interfere with his job.

when I first heard of the game I was so exited since with only 2 allstars left out of brawl how could sakurai screw it up, man was I wrong. I don't know if you all are aware of sal leak and the 5 additional characters that was leaked before the direct( one of them was a x and y pokemon, plus this is the guy who predicted villager, megaman, wii fit trainer, mii, little mac, and pacman) but it's very disappointing and does not take in account the western audience.

if or when ridley is confirmed not playable when need to make a fuse, email nintendo( is that possable?) tweet sakurai every day if you have to, write articles, ect. I know this seems drastic but we need to show how big this character is wanted, and why it was a bad choice to pass him over again. Maybe we can convince him to be added with dlc or the rumored smash 6 is that was rumored to come out next year( a expansion?), Now is the time to do it not when dlc or smash 5( dont count 3ds as 5, same roster same game imo) roster is already decided. this is drastic ik but doing nothing will mostly result in being in the same position come smash 5.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
if ridley is not in sakurai is either a **** or out of touch with the fanbase, with him teasing that side don't matter on 2-3 potd. If he done his research should know it would stir up the ridley community, a person just getting into smash can learn that ridley size is the biggest debate in smash so the director of the game should know.

It not just favortism speaking there is evidence that ridley is the mot wanted newcomer by far look at the post/view count it dwarfs the post/view count of every character and 4x the size of the second highest which is rool at 7,000(last I checked). So if he is ignored again I think the ridley fanbase has the right to be po because clearly sakurai does not know what he is doing and letting his personal bias interfere with his job.

when I first heard of the game I was so exited since with only 2 allstars left out of brawl how could sakurai screw it up, man was I wrong. I don't know if you all are aware of sal leak and the 5 additional characters that was leaked before the direct( one of them was a x and y pokemon, plus this is the guy who predicted villager, megaman, wii fit trainer, mii, little mac, and pacman) but it's very disappointing and does not take in account the western audience.

if or when ridley is confirmed not playable when need to make a fuse, email nintendo( is that possable?) tweet sakurai every day if you have to, write articles, ect. I know this seems drastic but we need to show how big this character is wanted, and why it was a bad choice to pass him over again. Maybe we can convince him to be added with dlc or the rumored smash 6 is that was rumored to come out next year( a expansion?), Now is the time to do it not when dlc or smash 5( dont count 3ds as 5, same roster same game imo) roster is already decided. this is drastic ik but doing nothing will mostly result in being in the same position come smash 5.
I don't think you need to worry. Ridley will be announced playable soon enough but man if that Bowser sized Ridley somehow ended up being a stage hazard that would be terrible. Not having Ridley in the game as a character is a slap in the face enough but having a easily playable sized Ridley be the stage hazard is just a curb stomping to the nuts for us Ridley fans.

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon

-eaten
-crushed
-burned alive
-skewered

I would hope Ridley would confess to me...

Ridley - "RRAAUURRGGHH!!"
Me - "...just make it quick..." :c
Ridley - "...I.... I love you..."Embarrass
Me - "....R-Ridley-kun..." :lol:
Me - "....I love you too!" :love:
Ridley - "That makes me so happy!"

Audience - "Awwwwwwwwwww!" *cheers*

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Just stopping by to see how you ladies and gentlemen were doing. Don't think I've posted in this thread since the direct, since admittedly I don't care all that much about the game anymore (note: it's not just Ridley's shaken status, if that's what you're wondering). It seems that now we've been thrusted in a much more painful "wait and see" period for 100% official word on the matter, which probably won't come to either e3 or when the 3DS version is released.

My stance on the matter I think was made pretty clearly the first time: under the context of the direct, he was being teased and hyped up to be a boss character (which, if you take a look at the Yellow Devil coverage, seems to be nothing more then an over-glorified, even more match-intrusive stage hazards, but I digress :p) and things definitely aren't looking good, there is indeed still hope for a possible reversal, though admittedly I'm not getting my hopes up anymore. To put it simply: hope for the best, expect the worse.

I'm definitely interested in possibly getting some more media attention to this situation, if worse comes to worse. Since I'm needy and always wanting my way like a big baby (:p), I would like some definitive answers on the issue, and ways of possibly putting Ridley out there more and letting both journalists and Nintendo know that we wanted Ridley playable in Smash. I'm guessing next time we really need to make our voices heard (with rationality of course, don't want to be a raging fanboy/girls :smirk:) and making mock-ups like Angelglory's models going viral would be nice.

Anyways the road to e3 is going to be a long one, I can see. :)
No offense, but everyone still here has the same feelings, it's just that we don't talk about them because it's obvious that that's how we're feeling. I mean, I'm gonna buy the game regardless of who does or doesn't get in, because I'm supporting Nintendo and I love Smash Bros. Anyone who's saying "I won't buy Sm4sh because it doesn't have Toad/Samurai Goroh/Lyn/whatever" is a major doosh and shouldn't even be worthy of buying the game.

This is the closest thing to a rant for me.

Top Bottom