• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Steelia

Smash Champion
Ok I can confirm too that its not Ridley carring Pikachu....Its at 1:03 mark in this video. You kinda gotta spam the pause/play button and get lucky. You can see Ridley's tail shadow leading up to the tip where the terrian makes Ridley's already zigzag like tail look more like Pikachu's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb35vh33Mb8

Knowing that we really can't say how big Ridley is now. If someone can get a screen cap it that would be great.
That's something I noticed when taking screens for the GIFs, too. Ridley is definitely grabbing/holding Pikachu, but Pikachu's tail isn't dangling down; it's off to the side somewhere. I think it's one of the shadows that forms the V-shape, intersecting with Ridley's tail shadow.

roidleypikatail.png

Yellow blotch is what I see as Pikachu, purple line is what I see as Ridley's tail. The shadow to the right of the tail could be either Ridley's arm or leg shadow.

I think Ridley's foot is somewhere in the mix, too, but it's too difficult to tell.

Jigglypuff & Luma

Smash Cadet
Ok I can confirm too that its not Ridley carring Pikachu....Its at 1:03 mark in this video. You kinda gotta spam the pause/play button and get lucky. You can see Ridley's tail shadow leading up to the tip where the terrian makes Ridley's already zigzag like tail look more like Pikachu's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb35vh33Mb8

Knowing that we really can't say how big Ridley is now. If someone can get a screen cap it that would be great.
I see it too, weird. Does that increase or decrease Ridley's chances?

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
That's something I noticed when taking screens for the GIFs, too. Ridley is definitely grabbing/holding Pikachu, but Pikachu's tail isn't dangling down; it's off to the side somewhere. I think it's one of the shadows that forms the V-shape, intersecting with Ridley's tail shadow.

View attachment 12553
Yellow blotch is what I see as Pikachu, purple line is what I see as Ridley's tail. The shadow to the right of the tail could be either Ridley's arm or leg shadow.

I think Ridley's foot is somewhere in the mix, too, but it's too difficult to tell.
Ok I knew his right side seemed way too lopsided compared to his left. Thanks for that. I got scared for a second.

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
You guys talk too much. I have to read two pages of this thread every morning.
Also if the pikachu shadow just vanished maybe Ridley ate him. :lol:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I can barely sit 20 mins without thinking of Ridley...
The obsession is for real. I just hate that we haven't got him confirmed while lesser characters like Rosalina, Greninja, and Little Mac (Little Mac is my second most wanted newcomer btw) are confirmed. Ridley is a very popular American loved character so it would only make sense to save him for the big American event being E3. So we just gotta wait.....and sorry if I made Rosalina, Greninja, and Little Mac fans mad....If Ridley somehow did get deconfirmed it would just suck to see the majority not get what they want. I believe Sakurai is saving the best for last.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
The obsession is for real. I just hate that we haven't got him confirmed while lesser characters like Rosalina, Greninja, and Little Mac (Little Mac is my second most wanted newcomer btw) are confirmed. Ridley is a very popular American loved character so it would only make sense to save him for the big American event being E3. So we just gotta wait.....and sorry if I made Rosalina, Greninja, and Little Mac fans mad....If Ridley somehow did get deconfirmed it would just suck to see the majority not get what they want. I believe Sakurai is saving the best for last.
I hope you are right, because, i mean, as much as i love Rosalina, i have known Ridley for a much longer time....he's my favorite character for life....that is why i love to drawing him so much....

TBone06

Smash Ace
I used to post on here in the Brawl days, been a while since I've actually had much discussion.

That being said, I honestly think Sakurai is toying with everyone. He already has shown that Toon Link is in a stage, as well as DK appeared in a stage in Brawl. Not that it's the same since he's not a boss, but I think it's relevant and reasonable to think that just because he is a hazard doesn't mean he can't be playable as well.

I too think that in Brawl, he had two forms be boss characters, so there is no reason why he may use a different form as a hazard and a different one being playable. Sakurai clearly acknowledges his popularity. I just don't see him bringing him up on two occasions if he's not playable.

Also, I like that they haven't revealed as many newcomers this time around as they did for Brawl. There is a chance of Ridley being unlockable, in which case he wouldn't be revealed. Personally I would rather have him be unlockable than a starter. For Brawl they didn't reveal any of the unlockable characters on the Dojo until after the game was released

Just my theories, and there certainly are a lot out there both for and against. It's sure nice to be back.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Ridley would be the "anti Little Mac", in that he is a terror in the air and not so much on the ground;however, I hope his ground game is at least in the normal good range.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ridley would be the "anti Little Mac", in that he is a terror in the air and not so much on the ground;however, I hope his ground game is at least in the normal good range.
Something like SS tier in air and somewhere near C-D (lol) tier on the ground? I never understood those tier things to be honest, but at least i know what it is...maybe...

Here is another screenshot from a non-nintendo game with ridley, space pirates and a lot of fire in it (well...kinda) for those who want another ridley image:
Also, i plan to draw something again, this time more than a head and neck...

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Something like SS tier in air and somewhere near C-D (lol) tier on the ground? I never understood those tier things to be honest, but at least i know what it is...maybe...

Here is another screenshot from a non-nintendo game with ridley, space pirates and a lot of fire in it (well...kinda) for those who want another ridley image:
Also, i plan to draw something again, this time more than a head and neck...
Pretty much the tier I thought of. I imagine Ridley to own the air, but be decent at best on the ground.

Well....thats the idea.....
I think the toughest opponents Ridley players will face in SSB4 are those who are quick and have good projectiles.

Last edited by a moderator:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I think the toughest opponents Ridley players will face in SSB4 are those who are quick and have good projectiles.
Or just fast and with long-ranged attacks...maybe like ridley himself...Ridley Ridley, not possible playable ridley.

By the way, where can i find one of those ridley4sm4sh icons for signature?

Last edited:

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
There is something that I've been curious about. Playable characters move at 60 FPS. Assist trophies move at 30 FPS. Has there been a confirmed FPS for stage elements and bosses? If you wanted to pose a technical argument, you could use the hinted Ridley boss video from the Direct and cross reference the FPS with any playable character or the Yellow Devil (confirmed boss element) to make a guess at what the deal is...

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Or just fast and with long-ranged attacks...maybe like ridley himself...Ridley Ridley, not possible playable ridley.

By the way, where can i find one of those ridley4sm4sh icons for signature?
I see Ridley as more of a slow fighter, but high damager.

About the signature, I don't know, but you can right-click the image and select "Save As" choose gif as the type (if it is not already selected) and there is your gif.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I see Ridley as more of a slow fighter, but high damager.

About the signature, I don't know, but you can right-click the image and select "Save As" choose gif as the type (if it is not already selected) and there is your gif.
I see Ridley as a high damage character who isn't super heavy that is fast in air and slow on the ground with good ranged tilts.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So, slow on the ground, fast and agile in the air, with good range because of the projectiles, extending tail and length of arms and wings, ligher that dedede, floaty like Samus, fast running speed (IF he is flying like charizard during run), slow walking speed, medium endlag or whatever its called after smash attacks, good recovery, high knockback and medium damage. Thats how you imagine his stats?

And i made my own ridley4sm4sh icon.

Last edited:

Kirbizard

Smash Cadet
There is something that I've been curious about. Playable characters move at 60 FPS. Assist trophies move at 30 FPS. Has there been a confirmed FPS for stage elements and bosses? If you wanted to pose a technical argument, you could use the hinted Ridley boss video from the Direct and cross reference the FPS with any playable character or the Yellow Devil (confirmed boss element) to make a guess at what the deal is...
I don't believe this is true for the Wii U version, assist trophies moving at 30 FPS is on the 3DS version and we don't know anything about Ridley on the 3DS.

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
I don't believe this is true for the Wii U version, assist trophies moving at 30 FPS is on the 3DS version and we don't know anything about Ridley on the 3DS.
I remember that there was a part of the direct saying assists moved at 30 fps in the Wii U version and I don't think they mentioned the 3DS version.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I just thought of something...

What if Sakurai is holding back playable Ridley for the Smash game(s) that will release on Nintendo's next console and handheld?

If Mewtwo, K. Rool, Palutena, Shulk, Chrom, Pac-Man and Mii end up playable in Smash Wii U/3DS (which seems quite likely), then who would there really be left that could generate huge hype for the Smash that's surely coming 5 or so years from now?
A possible solution to that is that this game might be the very last game in the series. :/

I mean, it IS a possibility.

D

Deleted member

I remember that there was a part of the direct saying assists moved at 30 fps in the Wii U version and I don't think they mentioned the 3DS version.
Nope, I'm pretty sure that was the 3DS they were talking about. Characters move at 60, assists move at 30.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Warning Received
So, slow on the ground, fast and agile in the air, with good range because of the projectiles, extending tail and length of arms and wings, ligher that dedede, floaty like Samus, fast running speed (IF he is flying like charizard during run), slow walking speed, medium endlag or whatever its called after smash attacks, good recovery, high knockback and medium damage. Thats how you imagine his stats?

And i made my own ridley4sm4sh icon.
Yes, that sounds like it fits him perfectly like Samus.

Would be funny if its Samus
It would be the most fitting. Just imagine the fun Ridley fans would have boasting about beating a Samus if this is the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
Nope, I'm pretty sure that was the 3DS they were talking about. Characters move at 60, assists move at 30.
Unless I somehow mistook Prism Tower for Wiley Castle and the sorta cartoonish 3DS models for the Wii U HD models, I'm preeeetdarn sure it was the Wii U version.

EDIT: So I was mistaken. God, are my eyes really that bad?

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
One move Other M Ridley does that I know I'm gonna love using in Smash is when he flys above you and stabs his tail down. Thats gonna be his obvious down air.

Oh I found a neat fanart of Other M Ridley but skinner. Going by those shadows this could be what our playable Ridley will look something like.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7144/ridleybydabyhedgehog.png
Thats is concept art other m Ridley which im 100/ fine with looks much better than Roidley imo and really hope that is the design chosen.

Kirbizard

Smash Cadet
Unless I somehow mistook Prism Tower for Wiley Castle and the sorta cartoonish 3DS models for the Wii U HD models, I'm preeeetdarn sure it was the Wii U version.
Hopefully, you become sure that Ridley is a boss. Please be sure Ridley is a boss. *winkwink* :)

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

Moral: Don't **** with Little Birdie....his Adult form might make you crap your pants.:grin:

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
One move Other M Ridley does that I know I'm gonna love using in Smash is when he flys above you and stabs his tail down. Thats gonna be his obvious down air.

Oh I found a neat fanart of Other M Ridley but skinner. Going by those shadows this could be what our playable Ridley will look something like.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7144/ridleybydabyhedgehog.png
But why not the pogo-stick attack then?..its more iconic, etc, etc...
Looks kinda better that roidley...but i kinda like roidley`s head more than conceptley`s (well, in both versions beak/tip of the upper jaw looks bad).

Moral: Don't **** with Little Birdie....his Adult form might make you crap your pants.:grin:
But when Bowser JR will grow up, he will be bigger. Even...TOO BIG!

would model Ridley`s body, tail, legs, arms, tongue and tip of the beak with Roidley`s tail tip, wings, neck, head (mostly) and hands look good?

Last edited:
Top Bottom