• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Gonna sound like a broken record, but screw it.

If I recall correctly, there seems to be a pattern that tells the difference between confirmed and deconfirmed characters.

Let's look at the unlucky guys first. Waluigi, Saki, Starfy, and others. None of them got any hinting or teasing whatsoever. Just bam, automatic updates out of nowhere that stated their fates short sweet and to the point.

Moving on to those confirmed and others still waiting in the wings.

Little Mac. His stage was shown since the very beginning yet it was unclear who the stage belonged to for months, but we still kept seeing it again and again. Eventually, we got Little Mac.

Palutena. Besides the famous leak, Sakurai's seemingly been playing along, posting numerous pics of her franchise, including what can only be her stage. His apparent teasing with her has become unavoidably obvious with the trophy joke he pulled yesterday, and by now it's only a matter of time before the goddess shows up.

Finally, we come to Ridley. Out of all the potential characters, Sakurai has been consistently teasing about him the most, hands down. From the very first image of Pyrosphere, we've seen hint after hint about the purple dragon. Canon size doesn't matter. An enemy from Samus' past could appear. It's no coincidence. But even now, just when many characters were being simultaneously shot down one after another, Ridley still wasn't entirely shown, not even mentioned by name. Just a mysterious shadow.

In conclusion, I point to the Villager. Why? Back in Brawl, Sakurai said an Animal Crossing rep wouldn't work out. Look what happened.

Sakurai also mentioned Ridley being unlikely back then, but from what we've seen, many aspects of his thinking on the roster has changed. I personally feel like Ridley will be the follow-up to Villager, a character nobody, not even Sakurai's past self thought possible.

E3 will be the time. The time when Sakurai will prove even his old self wrong again and show the world his crowning achievement.

Last edited:

Ridley1994

Smash Cadet
Finally someone states meta Ridley and sm Ridley are the same entity. By the way Zamus is just a heavily modified other m zero-suit Samus.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Finally someone states meta Ridley and sm Ridley are the same entity.
I thought that was because it went without explanation.

Though I'm still not sure what Mecha-Ridley is...

Prototype to Meta Ridley? Ridley's mind placed in a robot body? A completely separate robot made in Ridley's image? Who knows.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord

Prototype to Meta Ridley? Ridley's mind placed in a robot body? A completely separate robot made in Ridley's image? Who knows.
I believe this Ridley is in Zero mission? I think. Correct me if im wrong please. But yes a robot Ridley.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero

It's Robot Ridley. This is from Zero Mission, yeah? It's just a robot of Ridley. Maybe it was a birthday present from the Space Pirates to their leader. :p

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
You guys literally said the same things over and over again, in the exact same sequence, in the last 20 pages.

I guess repetition is just what this thread was doomed for from the very beginning..

CombatScouter

Smash Apprentice
I don't have much of an attachment to Ridley, but I have to question why he hasn't been shown outright. I mean, Sakurai was incredibly blunt in disconfirming Waluigi, so why not just show him off like Yellow Devil and that Find Mii monster if he really is a hazard? Also, why didn't Ridley do anything particularly remarkable when he showed up in the direct? Heck, I even thought his flying animation looked rather unusual. All of this feels very questionable and is too much teasing for me to brush aside. In fact, I actually feel much more confident in Ridley's chances now than I had previously.

These are just my passing thoughts on the subject. I don't really care too much personally if the space dragon doesn't get in, but I do hope he's in so your cult stops expanding so I can see the happiness it brings. :)

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So I was just sitting around and thinking, "If Ridley is actually a boss, why would Sakurai take so much joy in torturing his fans (AKA, the people who buy his product)?"

This made me believe even further that Ridley will be playable.
But we still have the question of why Sakurai is toying with us.
The answer is simple. He wants us to think Ridley isn't going to be in. If we all stayed how we were, and were fully expecting Ridley, the reveal would still have a decent amount of hype.
People would be like "Great! Ridley is confirmed! It's not like I really had that many doubts though."

But if Sakurai convinced us Ridley won't be playable, and shows us a playable Ridley trailer a few months later, we would be REALLY hyped, because were weren't expecting it!
Then people would be like "OH MY GOD! HE REALLY IS IN! JUST WHEN I WAS CONVINCED HE WASNT, SAKURAI REVEALS HIM! THIS IS AWESOME!"

Which one sounds more hype-filled?

More hype = more anticipation of the game

More anticipation = more popularity

More popularity = more sales

More sales = big bux for Ninty

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Sad thing is...what we will get at E3 wont even be half as much as what we just got.....

It probly just be a new trailer and a match and a real release date.....

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
Guys I just did some calculations Ridleys shadows size filled the entire screen which was aprox 1/3 - 1/4 of the stage. The light appears to be shining down to the left from the top right sectikn of the stag. At the height Ridley is flying other characters in previous videos would cast a shadow almost identicle to theIr actual size. Ths means that if this holds true for Ridley he will be a dwarf in comparison to the Ridley in Ssbb. Also small enough to be playble... Hoever this ia done on rough estimates I can however figure this out for sure but I need help. Please send me every known picture of Pyropshere as well as every clip from videos it appears in.(Including th most recent one.) I will also need a scale size ofRidley in EVERY game he appeared in or cameod in (ssbb and melee)PleasePM me anythinggyou can I will make a thread updating you all later. Ps Sorry about the spelling mistakes I'm very much hyped and yes I'm new to Smash Boards however that does not make me incompetent... If I get enough support I can have results a lot sooner.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Sad thing is...what we will get at E3 wont even be half as much as what we just got.....

It probly just be a new trailer and a match and a real release date.....
You know, given how polished the game(s) now look(s), they might release a Smash Demo at E3. That could make up for a lesser amount of Smash content for E3 (given that the Direct was a total splurge of Smash info).

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So, this is probably a terrible idea and I'll be patronized and mocked for it, but just humor me for a bit.

What if the Smash Bros team just went "Screw it" and made no attempt to alter Ridley for size?

I mean, they've made bigger playable characters.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
You guys literally said the same things over and over again, in the exact same sequence, in the last 20 pages.

I guess repetition is just what this thread was doomed for from the very beginning..
I suppose so. It's sort of why I don't post here as often as I normally do.

So I was just sitting around and thinking, "If Ridley is actually a boss, why would Sakurai take so much joy in torturing his fans (AKA, the people who buy his product)?"

This made me believe even further that Ridley will be playable.
But we still have the question of why Sakurai is toying with us.
The answer is simple. He wants us to think Ridley isn't going to be in. If we all stayed how we were, and were fully expecting Ridley, the reveal would still have a decent amount of hype.
People would be like "Great! Ridley is confirmed! It's not like I really had that many doubts though."

But if Sakurai convinced us Ridley won't be playable, and shows us a playable Ridley trailer a few months later, we would be REALLY hyped, because were weren't expecting it!
Then people would be like "OH MY GOD! HE REALLY IS IN! JUST WHEN I WAS CONVINCED HE WASNT, SAKURAI REVEALS HIM! THIS IS AWESOME!"

Which one sounds more hype-filled?

More hype = more anticipation of the game

More anticipation = more popularity

More popularity = more sales

More sales = big bux for Ninty
I think that might be the case. Well, if we're going by best case scenario. Not much else to do but wait I suppose. Meh.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
You know, given how polished the game(s) now look(s), they might release a Smash Demo at E3. That could make up for a lesser amount of Smash content for E3 (given that the Direct was a total splurge of Smash info).
If you mean public Eshop Demo then that will never happen.

If you mean E3 Demo then yes i see that happening aswell but he could easily not include the pyrosphere as a stage in the demo or even just have a barebones versions......
If we dont get deconfirmed out right before then via PotD.

Sorry not to be a negative nancy just being a bit blunt it is very possible what i said.

Ugh.....im so sick of all this waiting and teasing for god sake............if i could some this thread up in one word it would be ''Controversal''

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
So, this is probably a terrible idea and I'll be patronized and mocked for it, but just humor me for a bit.

What if the Smash Bros team just went "Screw it" and made no attempt to alter Ridley for size?

You know, Giga Bowser wasn't really that broken, honestly. If you knew what you were doing and used the right tactics, it was fairly easy. No objections from me.

If they someday did just that, went 1:1 for size, I'd honestly be happier than a resize.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

That wouldn't be too new for fighting games. Tatsunoko has had giant characters before. So I can see the appeal of fighting as one. Not too sure if Ridley would have to be a giant character though. Not too sure to be honest. Maybe in a future installment, we can get Andross(Star Fox 64 version)to be a giant character.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
If you mean public Eshop Demo then that will never happen.

If you mean E3 Demo then yes i see that happening aswell but he could easily not include the pyrosphere as a stage in the demo or even just have a barebones versions......
If we dont get deconfirmed out right before then via PotD.

Sorry not to be a negative nancy just being a bit blunt it is very possible what i said.

Ugh.....im so sick of all this waiting and teasing for god sake............if i could some this thread up in one word it would be ''Controversal''

I meant a demo at the E3 convention, at minimum. A publicly released demo seems improbable, but perhaps they'll surprise us.

I also didn't bring up the demo in relation to Ridley or Pyrosphere. Whether that stage (and that character) are in an E3 demo is up in the air. Though I do expect final confirmation on this topic to be given between now and E3.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Yh.......things have gotten really bad for this thread...

(sorry no disrespect)

just sick of all this Bull*

I dont even think Ridley is that special...,Sakurai obviously thinks overwise......

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721

Absolutely terrifying, for one.

Slightly more on topic: I'm not totally certain how I feel about 1:1 size Ridley. Despite him being absolutely huge in Brawl (if my memory's correct), I think a resize is more likely.

Also, with a fair amount of *real* costumes revealed, do you guys think we'll get Meta or Mecha Ridley if we get the original?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
That wouldn't be too new for fighting games. Tatsunoko has had giant characters before. So I can see the appeal of fighting as one. Not too sure if Ridley would have to be a giant character though. Not too sure to be honest. Maybe in a future installment, we can get Andross(Star Fox 64 version)to be a giant character.
Golden Lightan and PTX are a bit extreme, however, despite being an obvious example.
I mean, one was banned from all Japanese tourneys for his brokenness.
Though they do give the general gist, they'd not be as insane as that.
Ridley's medium-large. A little yay higher than Sentinel.
Mother Brain, on the other hand... much larger.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I meant a demo at the E3 convention, at minimum. A publicly released demo seems improbable, but perhaps they'll surprise us.

I also didn't bring up the demo in relation to Ridley or Pyrosphere. Whether that stage (and that character) are in an E3 demo is up in the air. Though I do expect final confirmation on this topic to be given between now and E3.
Will at best get 2 Newcomers at E3 and whatever ammount of vets and we still got

Palutena
Pac man
Mii
Chrom
Takamaru

To go through If anything...

Atleast show Mewtwo at E3 if hes in.....

Reguarding your last line...im 50/50 i can actually see this BS being dragged out right till rip the plastic of the the games cover in my hands (3DS Version)

Keeshu

Smash Ace

Personally I wouldn't mind them have a larger than normal character. Personally I don't think Ridley is the character to do that with though, since being larger than life isn't what he's all about, and is only a small factor for him (as it's practicly required to be huge if you are a Major boss in Metroid unless you are Dark Samus). However, if that's what they do and he's in, I don't have much to complain about as long as he's fun.
People have brought up this idea before, you won't be the last either.

Golden Lightan and PTX are a bit extreme, however, despite being an obvious example.
Mother Brain, on the other hand...
I don't think Mother Brain should be a playable character. However, she is incredibly easy to see as a playable character thanks to Super Metroid.

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
Warning Received
... You people are ****ing ********

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I don't think Mother Brain should be a playable character. However, she is incredibly easy to see as a playable character thanks to Super Metroid.
I was using it as a joke about size, of which Mother Brain is clearly much larger. :laugh:
Though Giant Mother Brain would be cool someday down the road.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Mother Brain, on the other hand...
Nope, SM Mama Brain is, like, 4 times the height of Samus off the top of my head. Larger than Giga Bowser even. I don't think they'll include her unless they have a separate mode where you can play as larger characters/bosses, which honestly isn't a terrible idea.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
*checks alerts*

Apparently, all I need to do is back up Ridley's playable inclusion, and I will automatically get about 10 likes.

EDIT: Also, why is everyone flipping out of Ridley when we have the Sibstitute Doll! I mean friggin' look at it! It's so great in HD! It's looks like it is an actual plushie!

Last edited:

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
Warning Received
Why bother do anything for such a ******** community. I don't even know whyI come to Smash Boards. It's filled with idiot 13 year old...

**** You smash boards and your ******** system and ******** community

Last edited by a moderator:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Last edited by a moderator:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The title is absolutely 100% accurate, lol.

Ridley. In his Other M incarnation. Is confirmed to appear on the Pyrosphere stage as a hazard.

That is a fact. And I'm not saying any more than what is true. He may or may not appear in another capacity. The title doesn't make a statement toward that. Only what is true. Wanting me to soften up the title to help some feel a little more hopeful and not have to face the facts is a little.

Pitiful?
Well he's not exactly a BOSS. I feel like I perpetuated that by putting that in the title first, just because Sakurai said other bosses will make appearances [as hazards].

But since he was mentioned in the same vein as the Yellow Devil, and because the stage looks like it's pretty much designed to have a character flying around, with platforms to help you get up to reach him, you are in some way supposed to fight Ridley. If he's like Yellow Devil then you should be rewarded somehow for being the one to get the last hit on him, but I'm not sure what that would be with what we know now.

All we know is he grabs people, so, maybe he can grab more than one person. I mean, Ridley is pretty good at grabbing with either his hands or his feet, so it's possible he could hold every player at once. You can probably still break out of his grip like when any other character grabs you, so maybe you're all just trying to avoid being grabbed, and whoever is in his grips during the finishing blow, they are all instantly KO'd as Ridley flies off?

Though I hope he does more than that. We'll just have to wait and see.

Made the title even more specific, at any rate. People can be as hopeful/nitpicky as they want, Oasis isn't going anywhere lol

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Made the title even more specific, at any rate. People can be as hopeful/nitpicky as they want, Oasis isn't going anywhere lol
Could you make it simply say "Other M Ridley confirmed for Boss Appearance on Pyrosphere."?

I'm pretty sure I, along with many others, would he completely fine with this.

PlasticBag

Smash Apprentice
*checks alerts*

Apparently, all I need to do is back up Ridley's playable inclusion, and I will automatically get about 10 likes.

EDIT: Also, why is everyone flipping out of Ridley when we have the Sibstitute Doll! I mean friggin' look at it! It's so great in HD! It's looks like it is an actual plushie!
Yeah, the doll is 1081p, soo life-like.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
I think it's safe to say that the Ridley who was (barely) shown during the direct won't be playable. Animation seemed way too repetitive and simple for a playable character, and let's face it, judging by that tail size, the model was huge. But I feel as if this isn't the last we'll hear from Ridley. Sakurai is clearly aware of the demand for him. Had he been 100% unplayable, he would've confirmed it quickly and bluntly, like with everyone else.

Top Bottom