• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

Drew this after watching FeliciaFan444's video......

I have to agree, if OTHER M RIDLEY IS A STAGE HAZARD then it is possible that the ORIGINAL RIDLEY can be playable

Sakurai already stated that Samus and Zero Suit Samus are two different personas....same can be said about Ridley and Roidley.

Other M Ridley can be the stage hazard and Original Ridley can be playable

Ridley is the only character to create a lot of hype in Miiverse, SmashBoards, Youtube and Twitter....I will believe in Ridley and Sakurai until the very end.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
well you're lucky I tried to pause the video and I got a cleaner shot of his wing and now I'm doubting it's other m ridley

Checked his original boss fight (other m) in youtube and I see 2 inconsistencies
1 the other m ridley has wings that are all red with some sort of hexagons of some shape like that
2 if you see the wing, you should be able to see some purple touching the wing but we just see the wing

So, tell me, is it really other m ridley? like it's not just his shadow but the actual wing in the modal is not consistent with the other m design (and knowing how smash likes to represent almost perfectly little details, I don't think such details would be ignored).

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
That Ridley shadow... Hmm... In the direct, we see Mac's shadow as the camera pans up him. If Ridley's shadow is significantly better or worse than Mac's (admittedly horrible) shadow, that'd be another nail in the coffin. I'll let you guys stew on it for a while because this piece of crud tablet won't let me even watch the direct.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Watching it again with a clear head made me appreciate the other things that were implemented a little more. For instance, I missed Charizard's Mega Evolution as his FS. However, I still feel like Ridley was confirmed as a stage hazard, at least his Other M form. That leaves Meta Ridley and the Super Metroid Ridley, or possibly even Omega Ridley from Corruption as Ridley's other iterations that might be possible. I would count out Omega Ridley but Dark Samus shows they're implementing the Primes, surprising since everything else seems to be pulled from Other M, Metroid wise. Mother Brain even looks more like her brief Other M stint. Anyways, with three other possible Ridleys, I think he may still have a chance, but the Other M one appears to be a stage hazard, which is fine by me. The most recent Ridley (A CLONE) should not be the playable one. It SHOULD be the Super Metroid one, but even if it's Meta or Omega Ridley, I think all of us would still be pleasantly surprised. Still hoping E3 is a HUGE reveal for everyone's favorite Pirate commander!

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
well you're lucky I tried to pause the video and I got a cleaner shot of his wing and now I'm doubting it's other m ridley

Checked his original boss fight (other m) in youtube and I see 2 inconsistencies
1 the other m ridley has wings that are all red with some sort of hexagons of some shape like that
2 if you see the wing, you should be able to see some purple touching the wing but we just see the wing

So, tell me, is it really other m ridley? like it's not just his shadow but the actual wing in the modal is not consistent with the other m design (and knowing how smash likes to represent almost perfectly little details, I don't think such details would be ignored).
See the shadow of the tail? There is a DISC-LIKE SHAPE near the tail end....Other M Ridley

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman

Lol I hate to tell you but that's his tail, although by looking at the shadow he doesn't look as sturdy as other m ridley

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Is anyone else wondering why Ridley's animation shown seemed so underwhelming? Somewhat choppy in the movement just waiting to be attacked? I imagined he'd be flying all over the place like a maniac when he comes out. There is something fishy about the whole thing. What ever the case we will know for sure once the 3DS version is released. Unless characters are secretly held back until the Wii U version is released...

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, could you do me a favor and attempt to extrapolate Ridley's size based on these shadows cast by the platforms in these pics?

Im suprised no one brang this up but he flaps like 10+ times.......playable chars cant do that i think what we saw is other m ridley as a boss/hazard on pyrosphere but normal Ridley can still be playable.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I will proudly quote every single one of you who are believing Ridley is a stage hazard when he is revealed to be playable.

Just you wait. :p

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Lol I hate to tell you but that's his tail, although by looking at the shadow he doesn't look as sturdy as other m ridley
oh well I didn't know it was the tails

but yeah it's the only design that has that so... well pretty much it is other m ridley

so now I think I can say that has of now, it IS a stage hazard BUT, it doesn't mean not playable because I think that if they use sm design, they look different enough for me the question is, if it is playable who replaces the hazard? I don't think it will be meta ridley because they look too similar (sm and meta ridley) so... I'm just going to wait it's definitely not the end.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Is anyone else wondering why Ridley's animation shown seemed so underwhelming? Somewhat choppy in the movement just waiting to be attacked? I imagined he'd be flying all over the place like a maniac when he comes out. There is something fishy about the whole thing. What ever the case we will know for sure once the 3DS version is released. Unless characters are secretly held back until the Wii U version is released...
He was definitely not boss-like in behavior, slowly flying over and picking up Pikachu to do what could only be described as a leisurely flight to Paris Lumiose for the weekend. Not only that, but it's also weird that he is just turns around and goes the other direction.

And that's not going to happen. It has been drilled in heavily that both rosters WILL be the same, most likely for reasons pertaining to the cross-version customization.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ummm.... Sakurai said "other boss character appearances" while showing Ridley in Pyrosphere at the same time... based on this context, I think Sakurai was implying that Ridley is a boss.

Am going with this personally.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know how requested Ridley really is? Is there something like a list? I feel like the group of haters overshadows the supporters by now.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
He was definitely not boss-like in behavior
Well he's not exactly a BOSS. I feel like I perpetuated that by putting that in the title first, just because Sakurai said other bosses will make appearances [as hazards].

But since he was mentioned in the same vein as the Yellow Devil, and because the stage looks like it's pretty much designed to have a character flying around, with platforms to help you get up to reach him, you are in some way supposed to fight Ridley. If he's like Yellow Devil then you should be rewarded somehow for being the one to get the last hit on him, but I'm not sure what that would be with what we know now.

All we know is he grabs people, so, maybe he can grab more than one person. I mean, Ridley is pretty good at grabbing with either his hands or his feet, so it's possible he could hold every player at once. You can probably still break out of his grip like when any other character grabs you, so maybe you're all just trying to avoid being grabbed, and whoever is in his grips during the finishing blow, they are all instantly KO'd as Ridley flies off?

Though I hope he does more than that. We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Well guys, that's it I suppose. Once again Sakurai passes out on the chance of including the biggest remaining Nintendo all-star, Ridley is once again not a playable character. So with all that in mind, here's a closure and farewell post from me:

I'm not even sure where to begin with this, yesterday's Direct was simply a big ****ing mess. The game looks fun, yes, but everything in the way of characters, except Yoshi and Sheik who look awesome, had me scratching my head or quite simply think of Sakurai as an idiot. This is going to stray a bit off-topic from Ridley for a little while, but I do want this to be about my general thoughts on the Direct too, since you won't be seeing me post very much anymore.

I'm probably one of the only people who let out a "Yes!" when Sakurai trolled by saying ZSS was cut, it's always just been Sakurai's poor excuse of saying that there are multiple Metroid reps, and I'm not buying it. Samus is still Samus for ****s sake, there is more to Metroid than her. But hey, whatever excuse he has to buff up her boobs even more I guess. She also has those weird boots now, which is simply nothing short of silly. I guess he also thinks that including 3 Metroid ATs makes for some fair representation, and while Dark Samus and Mother Brain are crazy cool ATs it just doesn't even things out. ATs aren't supposed to be used as an excuse to not include characters, especially not when many of us just turn them off.

Now Charizard himself looks ****ing amazing. I never really wanted to play Pokémon Trainer due to his odd mechanic, but his 3 Pokémon are the coolest ones in Smash, so it was a bit of a shame. Now Charizard is alone at least, buuuuuuuut with that said I don't believe Squirtle or Ivysaur can stand on their own legs on this roster as much as I'd like it, and with Greninja being added and Pokémon being up to 4 reps, there's already tense competition between Mewtwo and Jigglypuff. So yeah, Pokémon representation is all over the ****ing place now. Speaking of Greninja, holy **** Sakurai. Now I haven't been very vocal about my dislike for WFT and Rosalina, at most I've liked comments that are vocal about their dislike for them, but I don't like them. But Greninja, that's on a whole other level. Including Greninja would be like including Infernape back in Brawl, they're in exactly the same spot. The absolutely only reason Greninja is here is for Game Freak to throw in their promotional fodder for the anime, since Ash is obviously going to get a Greninja at some point. Greninja is not worthy of being in Smash Bros, and that's not something I've said about many characters before. Once Gen VI is over he'll sink down into the ground, just like every starter that doesn't originate from the Kanto region, and by that point he'll have been just as bad an inclusion as Jigglypuff was to begin with. Point is that Pokémon characters like that don't age well, they aren't timeless like Lucario, Charizard or Mewtwo. With this, I dislike half of the current newcomer inclusions, while I don't plan to play Villager or Little Mac despite them being deserving. It's really shaping up to be a piss-poor newcomer roster, especially compared to Brawl's godlike cast. Mind you I like Greninja okay as a Pokémon, he was my X & Y starter, but he's just not Smash material AT ALL. So when we take all this into consideration, and two timeless Pokémon like Ivysaur and Squirtle are most likely cut, it should be obvious that someone ****ed up here.

Oh yeah, and the 3DS version coming out before the Wii U version is just so stupid. I mean, rarely anybody will buy a Wii U for Smash now that they can not only get the same game on the 3DS which has an infinitely better library, but they can get it half a year earlier. The Wii U now has to rely on MK8 more than ever. I'll also be honest and say I kind of wish I'd have held off on buying one now until next christmas. But oh well, at least we're getting a summer release of some sort (until it's delayed of course.)

Now of course these are all miniscule things compared to the biggest let-down of the stream: Ridley is a stage hazard in Pyrosphere. I'm not going to desperately try and think Sakurai is simply trolling us, because he isn't, at least not anymore. Ridley was shown exclusively in the stage-boss section, in fact the whole section seems to have been dedicated just so Sakurai could slap us in the face. I'm 100% sure Sakurai thinks that Ridley being a stage hazard is going to get us all really excited. The whole way he has handled this whole Ridley thing has just left me with so little respect left for the man. I still respect Sakurai's work, but I do not respect him very much as an individual anymore outside of his willpower, harsh as that might be. He should know more than anyone how wanted Ridley is, and therefore shouldn't tease him for over half a year, only to have him revealed a stage hazard in such a half-***** manner. The guy even has the guts to still not even show him despite deconfirming him, almost as if he thinks he's making some sort of epic build-up to Ridley's great and surely appreciated role. No way man, you don't tease something like this for this long just to pull such a stupid stunt. I'd have respected him a bit more if he just outright burst the bubble early on, I even said that the first day Pyrosphere was announced. I usually find Sakurai's trolling funny, like despite wanting her gone I could still see the fun in his fake-out regarding ZSS, or how he almost made all Palutena fans' hearts stop simulatenously. But those are fun because the outcome of the jokes are good, and are revealed immediately after. You don't delay something like this 7 months just to give your fanbase a turd to the face, that's the surest way of killing hype, and I gotta say Mr. Sakurai, you sure did that well, this turd was all wet and ****.

I still can't understand what'd keep Ridley away either, so many fans have proven time and time again that Ridley can fit, and with Sakurai constantly saying that size problems are null it just doesn't make sense. Either Sakurai has a personal vendetta against Ridley's inclusion as a playable character, or he lacks the imagination to make him playable, and the latter wouldn't surprise me given his bad track-record concerning proper Metroid representation (lava stages anyone?) and blatantly having ripped off a DoA stage. I'm not going to think too much about it though, I don't want to delve into the mind of the guy who brought Greninja into Smash, that's just a lost cause. I guess Charizard will have to sate my Dragon needs, he was pretty ****ing badass in the trailer afterall.

I also want to note that there were an awful lot of deconfirmations in general in this Direct, it was actually kind of awful to see all these characters that many people wanted just get thrown away to the side.

But hey, at least the Kremlings are back, aye?

So yeah, I guess I'm coming to the closure of the post. Overall this Direct was a BIG hype killer for me. I've said this since Day 1 I returned to Smash speculation, and I'm going to keep it. With Ridley's deconfirmation, I no longer have any reason to participate in Smash 4 speculation. The only newcomer left that I care about making it in is K. Rool, but with the Gematsu leak having immensily strong back-up I've lost faith in him too. Even without the leak, K. Rool himself, as much as I like him, wouldn't be able to keep me participating. He's only been my 3rd most wanted character afterall, so it's tough for him to stand all on his own, and no way I'm dedicating much time to speculation just for my favorite veterans' sake. The only reason I've come here to begin with, the only reason I posted on here every day, and checked the Smash website every day, is because of Ridley, and without him I don't have any reason to be here until the game's release. I do want to note that the game still looks fun, I like many of the changes we saw in the Direct, it's just the roster, the only source of proper speculation, that's shaping up to be ****.

So with all that said, it's been my pleasure everybody. It's been fun though, and part of me wishes it hadn't already ended here in April, but on the other hand I'd rather get the news earliest possible too, instead of having the release of the game be overly bittersweet as was the case with Brawl. I'll stick to my opinion that the Ridley community has been the best place to be in both the Brawl and Smash 4 speculation periods, and I have no regrets having dedicated so many hours and days to the cause, even if it's all been for nothing in the end. So until release, see you all, and have fun.
Ahhhhhh...dude...not you aswell...i have alotta respect for you and i agree with like 99/ of the things
You post but.....just wait till E3 Plz?

Atleast....

MagnesD3

Smash Master
The title is absolutely 100% accurate, lol.

Ridley. In his Other M incarnation. Is confirmed to appear on the Pyrosphere stage as a hazard.

That is a fact. And I'm not saying any more than what is true. He may or may not appear in another capacity. The title doesn't make a statement toward that. Only what is true. Wanting me to soften up the title to help some feel a little more hopeful and not have to face the facts is a little.

Pitiful?
Facepalm ... Whatever it's your thread but nothing is confirmed ma
The title is absolutely 100% accurate, lol.

Ridley. In his Other M incarnation. Is confirmed to appear on the Pyrosphere stage as a hazard.

That is a fact. And I'm not saying any more than what is true. He may or may not appear in another capacity. The title doesn't make a statement toward that. Only what is true. Wanting me to soften up the title to help some feel a little more hopeful and not have to face the facts is a little.

Pitiful?
lol.... Whatever it's your thread so do as you please even if the title isnt accurate. Nothing has been confirmed.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
well I still think that the ridley in the direct is with clear evidence (the tail being unique to other m design) a stage hazard

However, it's too doubtful to say that he won't be playable
1 I'm sure he's aware of his popularity so why would you "deconfirm" him in this way?
2 I don't think someone noticed it but did you noticed that we could hear yellow devil shooting fireball but not any audio can be heard during the ridley shadow part? not what I would expect for an hazard especially for ridley is he hiding something?
3 the most obvious one his behaviour why he's there like 5 seconds in the center while only flapping? I would expect to appear in background before attacking but this would means that we wouldn't be able to see him.

so playable or not playable; that is the question.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Facepalm ... Whatever it's your thread but nothing is confirmed ma

lol.... Whatever it's your thread so do as you please even if the title isnt accurate. Nothing has been confirmed.
No Word of God explicit confirmation, true, but very strong implicit insinuation. Which is enough to warrant the current thread title.

Besides, if Ridley's apparent status is shown to be otherwise, then the thread title will be changed to reflect this new information anyway.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Things to consider.

1. An ancestor of Toon Link is a conductor on a stage. He is replaced if Toon Link is selected as a playable character.

2. Zero Suit Samus teased as cut. But she ends up in the game. Ridley teased as a boss stage hazard for seven months.

3. Namco has experience with fighting games. Most fighting games have a boss and/or bosses as unlockable. Perhaps Ridley is unlocked by beating him on the stage so many times. Perhaps Mii is unlocked by beating the green monster on the Mii stage and rescuing the Mii in a cage.

4. It has been suggested that the trophy reveals int he direct have been clues to series with a newcomer included. Metroid had such a trophy.

5. Fan expectations. This was mentioned as why Lucario has a Mega Evolution. And probably why Charizard has one as well.

While I do not want to give in to false hope, I actually do think Ridley has a chance to be playable.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Maybe it's because I'm a total psychopath, but Internet Sympathy is a really weird concept to me. Why would someone who sees Ridley as deconfirmed feel the need to tell others to jump ship, to face "reality" or the "cold hard facts"? Why would someone who sees Ridley as still viable, even if only minimally, feel the need to tell others to keep the fires burning, or to chastise others for their weak resolve or somesuch?
It's not just some internet thing. The same sort of thing happens commonly in real life too. The most common causes are probably that people don't want to feel like they are the only ones who think a certain way and/or want to help other people by showing them their view.
I'm sure there's plenty more reasons why people want to make other think the way they do though.

Kymnosk

Smash Cadet
NNID
MutedSound1111
I like how the "Too big to be playable" argument transformed into "His shadow seems small so he must be playable"

I guess the reason he didn't show Ridley's full body is because he just finished talking about the Yellow Devil and he would like to save showing Ridley off for some other time. I get the vibe that Sakurai takes his boss models seriously.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
It's not just some internet thing. The same sort of thing happens commonly in real life too. The most common causes are probably that people don't want to feel like they are the only ones who think a certain way and/or want to help other people by showing them their view.
I'm sure there's plenty more reasons why people want to make other think the way they do though.
I'm aware. I'm just academically intrigued by the psychology of other minds as a rule. Persons are teh strange. Like spooky action at a distance, except without the distance.

I get the vibe that Sakurai takes his boss models seriously.
As seriously as he takes the desires of his fanbase. :troll:

Indeed. Pitiful is exactly what the thread title change is.
OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH snap

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
3. Namco has experience with fighting games. Most fighting games have a boss and/or bosses as unlockable. Perhaps Ridley is unlocked by beating him on the stage so many times. Perhaps Mii is unlocked by beating the green monster on the Mii stage and rescuing the Mii in a cage.
I'd love this to be true but I was wondering how would you unlock him in the 3DS Version when there is no Pyrosphere? Considering he isn't a stage hazard in the 3DS Metroid Stage, too.

I think with all the deconfirmation in the direct and all the other fans getting disappointed we Ridley fans should consider us the lucky ones. While it is small, hope is still with us. There are so many possibilities with stage hazard Ridley being another one than the playable Ridley, an Alfonzo Ridley, a complete troll by Sakurai (While it implies that Ridley is meant with the Stage Boss thing Sakurai stated, maybe it was Kraid and Sakurai did this to tease the fans. Wouldn't have been the first time in this direct) etc.
Some will say all of this is denial but let's face the facts: Ridley was not shown. Samurao Goroh, Lyn, Dark Samus, all of them were shown to be Assist Trophies. Ridley only got a shadow with a wierd statement from Sakurai.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I actually think it's a good thing that OM Ridley is a hazard. Because it means that if Ridley is playable, chances are it'll be Super Ridley, which just about everyone perfers anyway.

Also, Ridley's progressive presence in Smash don't make sense now.

Super Smash Bros.=nothing

Melee=opening sequence cameo/trophy

Brawl=boss/trophy/sticker(s)/music

4=stage hazard?

Seems like a step backwards if you ask me.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hey, the thread title could've always been crueler by being changed to "obsessed with platforms, shadows, and denial" or something. Oasis was being generous.

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure why NOW everyone's so upset about it when Sakurai made it pretty clear when he first announced the Pyrosphere stage that Ridley would be a hazard. I lost hope at that point, and the Direct didn't make me think Ridley's chances were any lower.

He's probably a stage hazard, yes. But he's not any more ''de-confirmed'' than he was back when the Pyrosphere pic was added.

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
if that other M ridley is not a hazard and is a playable then when he put other m ridley there he may have been doing that because of the fact that he has been bosses in past games. Not that I think Roidley is playable, just a thought.

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
I actually think it's a good thing that OM Ridley is a hazard. Because it means that if Ridley is playable, chances are it'll be Super Ridley, which just about everyone perfers anyway.

4=stage hazard?

I also thought about this. Seems pretty wierd to me, too considering almost no character made a step down in any of the Smash titles. But then we again have Mewtwo who is the king of downstepping...

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I'm really sorry for all the people who supported Ridley. I never strongly supported him, but it hurts to see him deconfirmed in such an awful way... I still have hope....

Sakurai knows. He knows that MANY people want Ridley very badly. And Sakurai has given quite a bunch of fan service for this game. I don't feel like Sakurai would do this to fans, deconfirming Ridley in such a way. Don't give up you guys...

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Man after watching the direct the other day I feel like crap after seeing Ridley there. I wanted Ridley as much as most of you guys, but I don't think he is going to be a playable character this game. Along with that there are two things that make me feel worse about all of this;

1) A character that was only out for around 6 months got over a well developed character that has been out for over 20 years.
2) The fact that we might not even get him on the 3DS version, considering that Pyrosphere is a Wii-U stage, so he might not even show up on the other version (can't quite confirm that considering we haven't seen a Metroid stage on 3DS yet)

I am not going to say that I still don't want him, but I am ready to wait for the next game. I am just not going to get my hopes up and be even more disappointed. Until then I am still happy that they at least made Metroid a more prominent role in this game giving it several assist trophies and make Zero Suit Samus more unique.
All the chars will be the same for both games.

Ridley wont be a boss/hazard on 3DS but if hes playable he will be playable for both versions like all other chars.

This facade will officaly come to a end in september the latest when we get our hands on the game.

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman

4=stage hazard?

Actually Ridley had a cameo on the stage planet Zebes of the Super Smash Bros. 64.

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's kind of surreal when people look at actual indications that this could be some shady business and Ridley might possibly be playable after all, but then go "What? Ridley is using the Other M model, just like playable Samus and playable Zero Suit Samus and the Pyrosphere? This obviously means he's 100% a stage hazard for sure."

Which Ridley it is doesn't change anything. I doubt people will listen to me, but I would rather we not skirt around legitimate issues with these shenanigans linking the Toon Link situation to the Ridley situation as if that works.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
You know, the "Ridley kicking Roidley's a$$ on his reveal trailer" would be so awesome....indeed, i had a similar idea before, but that Prime Samus and Omega Ridley would kick their clones butt, in Ridley's case, he would grab Roidley's head and smash it into the wall to later drag him into it, and saying "I DID THAT FIRST, YOU USELESS FAKER!" or somethig like that.....oh, I WISH I COULD DRAW THAT SCENE...

Top Bottom