• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ridley_can't_do_Wii_fitness ?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Did you guys see this? It's Nintendo's Corporate Management Policy Briefing/Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing. Really interesting stuff. They mention that they're considering using their IPs in more things. My first thought was Legend of Zelda movie by Disney/Pixar...my second was a Metroid movie by them. Imagine it; they could really flesh out Ridley's character and bring Samus to life in a way that they failed to do with Other M! Hype!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hollywood's been trying to get Nintendo's go-ahead on a Metroid movie for around a decade.

I wouldn't expect anything now.
"Also, we are planning to utilize Nintendo’s abundance of character IP more actively. I think the reason that Nintendo is now considered to have this “abundance of character IP” is perhaps because of our passive approach toward the character IP licensing business, which tends to have a high risk of damaging the value of the character. In other words, we think that spending time to develop our approach of having our characters appear mainly in our carefully selected games has created our current fortunate circumstances. However, we are going to change our policy going forward.

To be more precise, we will actively expand our character licensing business, including proactively finding appropriate partners. In fact, we have been actively selling character merchandise for about a year in the U.S.

Also, we will be flexible about forming licensing relationships in areas we did not license in the past, such as digital fields, provided we are not in direct competition and we can form win-win relationships.

By moving forward with such activities globally, we aim to increase consumer exposure to Nintendo characters by making them appear in places other than on video game platforms."

Important stuff bolded and underlined. That's what got me curious.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I can't wait for other M ridley to be confirmed as a stage hazard. Then you guys will say, "WELL WE CAN STILL HAVE SUPER METROID RIDLEY!" and then I'll be all like, They are both giants of similar size TOO BIG. And you guys will be like TOO BIG IS BULL**** RESIZING WORKS LOOK AT OLIMAR. And I'll be leik, TROLLOLOLOLOLOL

/sarcasm

:troll:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Well, that's certainly interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a new Mario show. If they let the guys in charge of writing the Camelot Sports Games' cutscenes write them, I'd be all in. Those things are genuinely funny.

Anyway, worrisome cool as it is, I don't think Metroid will be too high up on their list of priorities, but I'm sure it's on there, especially if they're wanting the series to recover after the absolute critical (and financial?) failure of Other M, although that may be in the hands of the not-so-subtly-hinted new Retro Studios Metroid title.

I can't wait for other M ridley to be confirmed as a stage hazard. Then you guys will say, "WELL WE CAN STILL HAVE SUPER METROID RIDLEY!" and then I'll be all like, They are both giants of similar size TOO BIG. And you guys will be like TOO BIG IS BULL**** RESIZING WORKS LOOK AT OLIMAR. And I'll be leik, TROLLOLOLOLOL*****NGLOL
So, you just came in here to be an asshole? Oh, good. -ignore list-

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I can't wait for other M ridley to be confirmed as a stage hazard. Then you guys will say, "WELL WE CAN STILL HAVE SUPER METROID RIDLEY!" and then I'll be all like, They are both giants of similar size TOO BIG. And you guys will be like TOO BIG IS BULL**** RESIZING WORKS LOOK AT OLIMAR. And I'll be leik, TROLLOLOLOLOL*****NGLOL
attention

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well, that's certainly interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a new Mario show. If they let the guys in charge of writing the Camelot Sports Games' cutscenes write them, I'd be all in. Those things are genuinely funny.

Anyway, worrisome cool as it is, I don't think Metroid will be too high up on their list of priorities, but I'm sure it's on there, especially if they're wanting the series to recover after the absolute critical failure of Other M.
I think a Mario series is most likely for a TV series (ignoring Pokemon, of course), but, when it comes to movies, the best candidates are Legend of Zelda and Metroid. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Animal Crossing made into something either.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Animal Crossing already has a movie, actually.

I'm pretty sure that Zelda is #1 in line for a movie, though. I don't think it'll be by Pixar, though; it looks like Nintendo is more interested in making the movies themselves.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I could definitely see Metroid in a Movie format. There is actually a lot in the series to work with and a lot that could be expanded upon in a format like that Samus has past issues such as her relations with the Chozo and the fact that's she's kind of lost her home to the Space Pirates not only once but twice, even the space pirates themselves have a lot that could be expanded upon. I don't know if it could be pulled off though, the thing is for something like that to work to avoid the type of story Other M, you would need to get a team that is passionate about the idea and are able to look beyond just the superficial trapping of just how the games look or trying to straightly adapt the story to one of the games and actually dig into what motivates and drives the forces behind the game's story.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If Metroid can't be made into a movie, then maybe it should be adapted into a TV microseries a la Star Wars: Clone Wars. The TV show itself didn't have very much dialogue, at least not much that I could remember, so that could work. IIRC, General Grievous in the show was already a lot like Ridley in many ways.

There's already fan-art of what he could look like in a live-action movie!

http://www.deviantart.com/#/art/Live-Action-Metroid-Ridley-321038676?hf=1

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That Ridley is a bit too upright. Having him be hunched is part of his personality imo, it gives him a somewhat wicked presence.

As for a potential Metroid live action movie, it could work, but I'd rather it be animated. Then again, I'm such a cartoonist, so there's few things I wouldn't prefer being animated. Otherwise it'd be nice to flesh characters out that otherwise come out as rather one dimensional.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If Metroid can't be made into a movie, then maybe it should be adapted into a TV microseries a la Star Wars: Clone Wars. The TV show itself didn't have very much dialogue, at least not much that I could remember, so that could work. IIRC, General Grievous in the show was already a lot like Ridley in many ways.
Assuming you meant the first Clone Wars cartoon (which I'm guessing you did based on the not having much dialogue bit), then yeah. I agree as far as doing that kind of thing, along with the Grievous example. Would just hope Ridley doesn't become a sad joke like Grievous unfortunately did in that other series...

Also still would like to see an anime adaptation of the Metroid manga or something.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
I can't wait for other M ridley to be confirmed as a stage hazard. Then you guys will say, "WELL WE CAN STILL HAVE SUPER METROID RIDLEY!" and then I'll be all like, They are both giants of similar size TOO BIG. And you guys will be like TOO BIG IS BULL**** RESIZING WORKS LOOK AT OLIMAR. And I'll be leik, TROLLOLOLOLOLOL

/sarcasm

:troll:

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=7155177

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
You guys give that kid attention when you could be talking about the amazing possibilities for Metroid in light of what was posted about Nintendo opening the doors more to their IP's being in other mediums? @_@

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
You guys give that kid attention when you could be talking about the amazing possibilities for Metroid in light of what was posted about Nintendo opening the doors more to their IP's being in other mediums? @_@
If you're referring to the trials in mobile apps, that's been confirmed untrue.

And considering how the selling of 2nd and 1st party IP's to competitors turned out for companies like Rare, Nintendo games staying Nintendo is proabably the best thing that could happen to them...

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Assuming you meant the first Clone Wars cartoon (which I'm guessing you did based on the not having much dialogue bit), then yeah. I agree as far as doing that kind of thing, along with the Grievous example. Would just hope Ridley doesn't become a sad joke like Grievous unfortunately did in that other series...
Also still would like to see an anime adaptation of the Metroid manga or something.
I... have no words for that, way to degrade that villain even further...

Anyway, I think a miniseries focusing on the characters would do a lot for the series in developing it. Metroid's isolationist nature would benefit from that as you could focus on just the major character interactions with the world and/or themselves along with getting to the point of portraying what they're trying to do.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If you're referring to the trials in mobile apps, that's been confirmed untrue.

And considering how the selling of 2nd and 1st party IP's to competitors turned out for companies like Rare, Nintendo games staying Nintendo is proabably the best thing that could happen to them...
No, wasn't talking about the mobile stuff. Agree though on the last bit.

Same here. If there's a Ridley in this game, and he's playable, and Nintendo does something for E3, he'll be revealed there. Ridley is like Ms. Smash America at this point.
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. Plenty said some of the same things before the last E3 too (damn Chrono for getting me more hopeful at the time with his repetitive speeches).

And that Miiverse pic, fantastic.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
As a Ridley fan that scours Miiverse every now and then, I can say with no remorse that....

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Eh, unless Ridley is crawling in from the outside of the wall like a gecko and is also incredibly small or coming out of that metal wall within the hole, that's just a chuck of the wall.

It certainly looks like a claw, but the positioning makes no sense. Ridley finger puppets confirmed for Pyrosphere.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Not if people think before they look at the picture. There's no reason to freak out about it which I totally didn't do before thinking about it.

Remember, Sakurai is a professional. He'll check each picture for anything unconfirmed before releasing them onto the internet. We're seeing a claw because we're being told to.

If you need further convincing, go over to the Miiverse thread. Even the guy who circled the thing admitted he was tired when he took the picture and that he now sees that it's just part of the wall.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
The hole looks that way in every picture from an appropriate angle.

Top Bottom