• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Well I'm sort of upset. What made it worse was that I was watching the direct with a couple of Ridley detractors. I do appreciate the touchups to his model though, like the cleaned up textures, wing spikes, and color based on the concept art.
Why not just say " Non fans of Ridely" Insted of "detractors". all the word is going to do is give the non fans fuel.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm Ridley unsure if the revival of the old thread is a good idea or not, aside from the trolls that will come despite the warnings, the All-Stars Ridley thread is where I actually talked with people, I had conversations and had fun there, here is I just feel a bit like a speck of sand on a beach. Just one of the thousands.....
Well, it basically seems like the social forum is dead now that the character support threads are back with DLC basically confirmed. Plus they were just going to close the Ridley thread anyway with Ridley confirmed a boss.

Why not just say " Non fans of Ridely" Insted of "detractors". all the word is going to do is give the non fans fuel.
Because some people are indifferent to Ridley, and others BLATANTLY hate on Ridley and his fans. That's the difference, and there's a HUGE difference.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Well, it basically seems like the social forum is dead now that the character support threads are back with DLC basically confirmed. Plus they were just going to close the Ridley thread anyway with Ridley confirmed a boss.

Because some people are indifferent to Ridley, and others BLATANTLY hate on Ridley and his fans. That's the difference, and there's a HUGE difference.
but the word detractors is only going to bring MORE drama to you guys then your overeacting has. In all honesty, I would just say " people who dont like or on the fence" just so I don't start anything. Like, God damn it, Im not a fan of Ridley but I sure as ****ing hell dont like being called a detractor. Thats just as much as a ****ing insult as Ridley *** is to you guys ( not calling you that, just example)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Everyone copy and paste this on Twitter! I used Google Translate, so let's hope it's accurate!

@Sora_Sakurai Please make Ridley playable!
リドリーが再生できることを確認してください!

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I'm Ridley unsure if the revival of the old thread is a good idea or not, aside from the trolls that will come despite the warnings, the All-Stars Ridley thread is where I actually talked with people, I had conversations and had fun there, here is I just feel a bit like a speck of sand on a beach. Just one of the thousands.....
Yeah...I feel the same. That is why I won't be posting more drawings here.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Its probably best just to make a social forum for Ridley and chat there. This thread will get closed soon anyway.

Azew

Smash Lord
Hmmm... really?! I've got to inspect it further.

He/she didn't make comparison picks did he/she?
Correction, it was actually @The Soulless One . Here's the original post:
There is also this thing:

I have no idea if the claim of this is right, but it claims that the Ridley head used for the KO icon is ever so slightly different from that of Brawl Ridley's model, so it isn't a direct rip.

But I can't really tell if it's valid or not, very hard to tell.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
Warning Received
So harrass him.... not a good idea.. please. Leave the man alone
With the way this community acts, which is basically like a bunch of over privileged children crying because mommy won't buy them a snack from the vending machine (when she promised nothing), I hope he never makes Ridley playable in any of the Smash games. I love the character, but most Ridley supporters make me NOT want him to be playable. Poor Sakurai.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
It's not harassment. It's showing our dedication to a character.
Just leave the guy alone, for the ****ing love of god
With the way this community acts, which is basically like a bunch of over privileged children crying because mommy won't buy them a snack from the vending machine (when she promised nothing), I hope he never makes Ridley playable in any of the Smash games. I love the character, but most Ridley supporters make me NOT want him to be playable. Poor Sakurai.
This is the sort of thing that makes me go blind with anger... Its just... ugh

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's not harassment. It's showing our dedication to a character.
Yeah, sorry, it basically is harassment. If you want to show dedication to the character, spread the word on Twitter and get others to join, but don't DIRECTLY harass the development team about it, or Sakurai. If you can bring the word out it may eventually reach Nintendo and Sakurai, but directly tweeting Sakurai is just going to harass him and may even make him LESS likely for him to do what you want him to.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
You are right, we should say something else. I don't want to insult people like you especially, even the true "Ridley haters". I'll try to stop saying "detractor's", for people like you. I want to respect others, regardless of your view points.
Your a nice guy. Its nice to see some of you guys aren't attacking others or attacking Sakurai. When fans Attack Sakurai it makes me so mad that I could literally go blind from anger pf

You can't say I'm wrong...
No you are absolutely... absolutely right, sadly

double post, 'scuse

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I find that a little too bias saying that about the community. Not everyone acts like this, though I can understand their views on the matter, I would agree about the behavior could be handled better. But it doesn't help to say things like that and set an unnecessary viewpoint for other people. I can understand what you are saying, but it's really not a good thing to say.

No you are absolutely... absolutely right, sadly

double post, 'scuse
It's ok. I'm sure you didn't mean too.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Kinda weird to see this thread open again, but hey it feels good to post here again. Even if it's a long shot, I have a little glimmer of hope for Ridley DLC (any form will suffice). My support for Ridley remains high and hope to see him playable someday. Space Pirates never falter.
Its probably best just to make a social forum for Ridley and chat there. This thread will get closed soon anyway.
I second this. I want to see more drawings from @ AndreaAC AndreaAC and company. Plus I like interacting with all of you fellow Ridley fans.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I find that a little too bias saying that about the community. Not everyone acts like this, though I can understand their views on the matter, I would agree about the behavior could be handled better. But I doesn't help to say things like that and set a unnecessary viewpoint from other people. I can understand what you are saying, but it really not a good thing to say.

It's ok. I'm sure you didn't mean too.
Its just wow, so much stuff is going on, I forgot I already posted XD and It doesn't help the communitys reputation that they spam Sakurai with " WHY" and " PLEASE MAKE...." When they dont get the character they want. Not all are like that, I agree. But the ones that are like that... please... Stop that. It doesn't make any of us look any better

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Its just wow, so much stuff is going on, I forgot I already posted XD and It doesn't help the communitys reputation that they spam Sakurai with " WHY" and " PLEASE MAKE...." When they dont get the character they want. Not all are like that, I agree. But the ones that are like that... please... Stop that. It doesn't make any of us look any better
It isn't really just this community that does this, pretty much everyone does this, it's just one of things most people do, they want something and the whine about it if they don't have it. It's something that we, as a species just have, and sure there are those that learn to control themselves, many others can't

Wraeith

Smash Cadet
Funnily enough, I see more people whining about Ridley supporters than those complaining that he isn't playable. As it turns out, fire doesn't extinguish fire. Regardless, the thread wasn't reopened for this reason and everyone here needs to realize that

We set ourselves up for disappointment sure, but maybe it was worth it. Looking back at all the evidence now, it still seemed quite reasonable to believe he was playable. Even now, it feels like he's just inches away from confirmation, all the assets seem to be there, but he's just not selectable. Ah well, that's the cost of hope.

Worse yet, Ridley being a stage hazard would seem to severly limit the likelihood that he's introduced as a DLC character, and I fear he'll be consigned unto oblivion like in the previous titles. Quite a shame, but not an unexpected one. There's still a chance though, as comical as that is. At the same time he was deconfirmed, Mewtwo was confirmed for DLC, so perhaps if there is enough support for him, being a stage hazard might not matter.

As for now, RIP in peace Ridley. ;_;

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I understand. It's just something that will happen regardless. It happened for Brawl (for any character, mind you) and I'm sure it could of happened for Melee. But it will pass, and I sure everyone will feel "better" about this whole thing. Mewtwo as DLC will still keep me going, I know will get our chance. :)

Last edited:

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Funnily enough, I see more people whining about Ridley supporters than those complaining that he isn't playable. As it turns out, fire doesn't extinguish fire. Regardless, the thread wasn't reopened for this reason and everyone here needs to realize that

We set ourselves up for disappointment sure, but maybe it was worth it. Looking back at all the evidence now, it still seemed quite reasonable to believe he was playable. Even now, it feels like he's just inches away from confirmation, all the assets seem to be there, but he's just not selectable. Ah well, that's the cost of hope.

Worse yet, Ridley being a stage hazard would seem to severly limit the likelihood that he's introduced as a DLC character, and I fear he'll be consigned unto oblivion like in the previous titles. Quite a shame, but not an unexpected one. There's still a chance though, as comical as that is. At the same time he was deconfirmed, Mewtwo was confirmed for DLC, so perhaps if there is enough support for him, being a stage hazard might not matter.

As for now, RIP in peace Ridley. ;_;
and Andrea's art still lives on......

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Just dropping by.

Still seems a bit fishy with all the stalling, and it's also fishy that he's using a brawl icon instead of an icon to match his Other M appearance.

Maybe I'm just very optimistic, but I'm hoping for a Toon Link sort of deal (though the boss Ridley will not have to be replaced when a Ridley player comes in due to Ridley Clones, and/or because we play a Ridley similar to Brawl Ridley) and he is also a DLC like Mewtwo is. Only time will tell.

Though I will say, his attacks do look pretty darn nice. Though, we only got to see him do his entrance, the 3 swipes with his claws, and impaling the stage with his tail. I just wonder how long he'll take between attacks. I'm also very happy he is on stages, because that mean I can have matches where he comes around on a regular basis, instead of in subspace/boss battles where he's a pain to get to and is easy to fight.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
well, he is a flying piñata ( at this point i was expecting it though) but at least he IS The Head-Honcho of the evil fliying piñata syndicate, whic is kinda nice.

Still this doesn't completely rule him out as DLC, but i don't expect to see any ridley until 2016 at least, so shuldn't have your hopes too high. (probably the first batch of dlc will be vets, Lucas and Wolf being high on that list) It mostly depends how well smash 4 will do in time and how Nintendo is going to manage DLC, if they do something similar with Capcom's SFIV, i'm sure that Ridley will be eventually in.

Quoting sakurai's words he believes this is just unlocking smash potential, and i believe it may not be too far from the truth. I really hope that this game will have and develop a multitude of metagames, we will have a healty 1v1 metagame for sure.. but even before 8 man smash i was rooting for 2v2 metagame to develop, but hell, 4v4 teams at least have potential to evolve into it's own beast but certainly would need some updates to refine it (I don't think there are too good satges for 4v4 but we have stage builder, we only need a way to set team spawn points and potential great maps can be made easily)

And if this metagames get updates to further refine them, which better way to sell an update than a character? so if Smash success says in time (because im pretty sure it will be a sales success anyway) and nintendo is willing to further expand it, we will see more dlc characters, and one of them is going to be Ridley. (and keep bosssley, is not like we dont have 2 pits, 2 marios, 2 samus, 2 zeldas and 2 links for cthulhu sake!)

Now for the good news! if Ridley ever gets to be a playable character in this game, he will never be Roidley! Hurrah!!!!

D

Deleted member

Just something I noticed; Ridley looks closer to the concept art than to the actual Other M model.
Looks like best case scenario for that came through.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Just something I noticed; Ridley looks closer to the concept art than to the actual Other M model.
Looks like best case scenario for that came through.
Well, not the BEST case scenario, but it isn't a bad one I'll give you that (good enough to the point that I'm still spraying sugar, not salt)

D

Deleted member

Well, not the BEST case scenario, but it isn't a bad one I'll give you that (good enough to the point that I'm still spraying sugar, not salt)
"For that" was referring to the inevitability that it would be Other M Ridley.
Between the actual model and the concept design, concept was the best case scenario.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Well, I hope you don't follow that idealogy too strongly. I've seen plenty of annoying fanbases get what they want, so I don't believe a character's chances should be affected by the fanbase's behavior. I understand very clearly why you'd get the idea, as I used to be a detractor. Apparently, that didn't keep me from joining them in hopes of developing a civil, more open-minded Smash community where you don't have to be afraid of who you support, for fear of being victim to prejudice...

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I honestly don't know what to say about Ridley in this game, I guess all I can say is he looks like a really cool boss. :c

Skyline1992

Smash Apprentice
I can't wait until someone interviews Sakurai and asks him why Ridley isn't playable. We need to find out once and for all what Sakurai truly thinks of Ridley.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Seeing him out there like that almost makes me wish he was playable, he's so badass.
Almost
But I never supported him before and I'll stay like that for now.
For now.

Top Bottom