• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
With the way this community acts, which is basically like a bunch of over privileged children crying because mommy won't buy them a snack from the vending machine (when she promised nothing), I hope he never makes Ridley playable in any of the Smash games. I love the character, but most Ridley supporters make me NOT want him to be playable. Poor Sakurai.
Yeah, that's why I stopped supporting Ridley years ago... and stopped criticising Ridley years ago too... don't have the time to analyze Ridley nor do I want to make the time... and why I'm just indifferent towards Ridley and rub salt on anyone immature enough to hijack a non-Ridley thread by ranting about Ridley and Sakurai.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm sorry, but I have to say it, I made that gif of Ridley, and I don't want ANYONE to use my stuff without my concern.
You gotta cut him some slack though bro, it's easy to find the creator of a video or song and give them credit, gifs and pictures, however, are extremely difficult to find the origin of. Putting your signature on your gifs and pics would get you the credit you deserve.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
You gotta cut him some slack though bro, it's easy to find the creator of a video or song and give them credit, gifs and pictures, however, are extremely difficult to find the origin of. Putting your signature on your gifs and pics would get you the credit you deserve.
I do that with my drawing (I put my first name and last name), but in the tiny gifs I make using my old DSi is hard. I'm going to warn people anyway. it has happened a couple of times, and that is one of the things that I hate the most.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
It sucks being a Ridley fan. It really does. We get beat up and mocked more then almost any other fanbase I've seen, and I think I've figured out why. We have a wide variety of people who want and don't want him in, and of that variety there are several detractors being obnoxiously loud about how Ridley can never be playable and his supporters are stupid, and a bunch of fanatics endlessly screaming that they'll murder Sakurai if he doesn't put Ridley in the game. Now the majority of fans and not-fans aren't this obnoxious, but these are the people that are the loudest, therefore they are what the respective sides of the Ridley debate are painted as.

It's these people's fault, both the fanatics and the detractors, that make being a Ridley fan suck so badly.

Much as I'd like to claim otherwise, Ridley really isn't that popular outside of the Metroid and smash communities (And even then only those who are huge fans of Smash Bros) But due too how loud and obnoxious these arguments between detractors and fanatics get, they draw a lot of attention, which draws in these people who don't really care about Ridley. And what do these people see? They see a group of people yammering like children for Ridley to be playable, and another that he can't be. Here's the problem: The fanatics are directing their pleas to Sakurai and the development team, who obviously can't answer back. The detractors are aiming their cries at Ridley fans in general, and the majority of the people will see it and side with the detractors. Throughout the entirety of Smash Speculation things have never been in our favor. Detractors have the easy arguments of "Too Big", "Too scary", "No personality", "No unique moveset", "Hunters are better characters", etc. We have to delve into shadow analysis and Metroid manga for some of our arguments, but those who are doing that analysis aren't the childish fanatics. Those morons are still spamming Miiverse with "ADD SHREK GOKU AND RIDLEY PLEASE MASHPOTATO SACKOFRYE!"

But because of the ease of the general arguments against Ridley, the complexity of ours, and the general loudness of the extremists of both sides, we gain a lot of attention. For every supporter comes three detractors, complex arguments are brushed under the table as being "delusional" and "strawgrasping", people get defensive that their hard work is being ignored, tensions rise, the argument gets even louder, it reaches Kotaku and gains more attention, more people get involved, more hate, even louder, and there is no way to release the tension. Things get even worse as Ridley's fate looks bleaker and bleaker, the April Direct, the final 3DS roster, being a Ridley supporter was like painting a target on your forehead.

Then Nintendo decided to get involved.

I don't know if this started as a marketing ploy to build hype and attention, a missed oversight they tried to sweep under the rug and failed, or just poking fun at the fanbases, but whatever the case Nintendo screwed up badly when it came to Ridley. Doesn't matter which side your on, the fact is that people still had hope and Nintendo did nothing to correct them. So what does Nintendo do? Make amends? Try to alleviate the pressure of the warring fanbases?

Nope. They join in on the fun.

We're joked about over twitter, made fun of over livestreams, the fanbase for Ridley is revealed to a much, much larger audience, and it is being portrayed as a complete joke. And now, we've come full circle just to have Ridley's fate as a boss dumped on our heads, and a huge mass of smug people laughing about how those silly Ridley fans ever thought he had a chance of being playable.

tl'dr: Some really loud people get into arguments and people noticed and joined in and now hating on Ridley is the cool thing to do.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
AndreaAC does this now and I'm mostly sticking my nose where it doesn't belongs, but I guess that was before misfortunes happened with her art. And yes, she's a girl, fyi. But I can understand her reaction to that, and since it was used in a way that comes out "negative", I understand her reaction.

I'm gone for today, it's been quite "noisy". I hope to see everyone calming down tomorrow.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
People said Toon Link was cut, People said Mewtwo was cut, Everyone thought that we would never see Doc Mario again.
Sakurai said that an Animal Crossing character woudn't fit in a fighting game. Little Mac went from Assist trophy to fighter. Giga Bowser went from boss to Final Smash. Nobody predicted Wii Fit Trainer.

What I'm trying to say is that, people claiming that a character won't ever be playable are foolish. And Mewtwo DLC seems to indicate that Fan input is actually being considered.

Don't even try to comprehend what Sakurai will do.

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry, but I have to say it, I made that gif of Ridley, and I don't want ANYONE to use my stuff without my concern.
That's entirely unfair there is no feasible way that he could have found out who originally posted that if you don't sign it or something just relax a bit.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I do that with my drawing (I put my first name and last name), but in the tiny gifs I make using my old DSi is hard. I'm going to warn people anyway. it has happened a couple of times, and that is one of the things that I hate the most.
If you can find a way to watermark gifs from a PC something like AndreaAC on SmashBoards. Of course I understand that this is difficult to do without the needed equipment, it was only a suggestion and I totally understand why you warn people, credit should be given where it's due.

andimidna

Smash Master
He looked poorly animated imo
Of course he's poorly animated, Sakurai only spent 14 months making him. *sigh*
---
I'm honestly not as mad as I thought I'd be... like... at all. People found 3ds files that basically proved this was a thing, and even though DLC was likely coming, I thought it'd be way later and other characters. He really deserved it, and stage hazards in general are meh, but I'm still just in love with what we have.

AndreaAC

AndreaAC does this now and I'm mostly sticking my nose where it doesn't belongs, but I guess that was before misfortunes happened with her art. And yes, she's a girl, fyi. But I can understand her reaction to that, and since it was used in a way that comes out "negative", I understand her reaction.

I'm gone for today, it's been quite "noisy". I hope to see everyone calming down tomorrow.
As a designer-to be, It is a RULE to protect my work, SPECIALLY since I made it. And I'm OVER protective about it, but it is for a reason. And if this ever happens again, I will find a way to take my work down from the very beginning (that means since I joined the boards), and if someone uses it after that, I'm going to take drastic measures.

Last edited:

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
As a designer-to be, It is a RULE to protect my work, SPECIALLY since I made it. And I'm OVER protective about it, but it is for a reason. And if this every happens again, I will find a way to take my work down from the very beginning (that means since I joined the boards), and if someone uses it after that, I'm going to take drastic measures.

Gees Andrea calm down, you do realize this is the internet right? If you post your work on the internet you should expect it to be used. Nobody here has claimed your work as their own or used it disrespectful. You should take them as using it as a compliment since they like it so much.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Gees Andrea calm down, you do realize this is the internet right? If you post your work on the internet you should expect it to be used. Nobody here has claimed your work as their own or used it disrespectful. You should take them as using it as a compliment since they like it so much.
Not sure if now is the right time to get into an argument about her art

AndreaAC

Yeah, yeah, I have been told I should see it as a compliment and I know they haven't done that, BUT it still makes me feel a lot of tension whenever that happens.

Ok, I'm out of here. Ridley's fate was painful, but that doesn't stop me from supporting him.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Leave it alone man, it's her work she can do whatever she wants to protect or defend it. We have no place to tell her to calm down.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Yeah, yeah, I have been told I should see it as a compliment and I know theu haven't done that, BUT it still makes me feel a lot of tension whenever that happens.

Ok, I'm out of here. Ridley's fate was painful, but that doesn't stop me from supporting him.
I know, you should take a breather. I hope to see everyone later. Peace.

Last edited:

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
Yeah, yeah, I have been told I should see it as a compliment and I know they haven't done that, BUT it still makes me feel a lot of tension whenever that happens.

That's the spirit Andrea!!

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
No cares about the stupid flying Barney dinosaur anyways.
Also don't act like Nintendo owes Ridley fans anything. They can make fun of you if they want to.
See? This is what I'm talking about -_-

And no, Nintendo doesn't owe Ridley fans a damn thing. If they want to make fun of is it's their decision. Same way I can go anywhere on the internet and fuel flame wars. Doesn't mean I should.

Zynux

Smash Lord
I'm not too worried about it. Hackers and modders will be doing what Bagan is trying to do now and just Hack Ridley into Smash 4 and we'll be right back where we started. Funny enough, this changes very little to what we were already doing.

It's only a matter of time.

I'm sure Sakurai will detail his thought process with Ridley and why he isn't playable in the future. No matter what he says, we just need to make our voices louder.

Just something I noticed; Ridley looks closer to the concept art than to the actual Other M model.
Looks like best case scenario for that came through.
He still has the Facebook-tier Duck Face though :p (I think Concept Ridley had his beak curved downward liek Super Metroid Ridley)

---

Also, "Meta-Ridley" is bizarre. Not only does he not turn mechanical/Cyborg, but he doesn't seem to harden his skin like in the Other M fight either. So I have no idea what's going on there. You know someone took creative liberties when even as a fan of the series you have zero answers for what happened before you (like why Ridley would ever fight for anyone, for instance) :laugh:

Personally, I think he has zero chance for DLC, so I do not expect him. However, that doesn't mean we keep quiet: we, as fans, can still make it clear to Nintendo that we wanted Ridley as a playable fighter.

Maybe one day, they'll get tired of our asking and respond accordingly :chuckle:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Hmm.... Did anyone keep the time? I wasn't counting how many hours before someone tried to pour salt over our wounds.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I was kinda talking about you pointing out what she should have said actually.
What she meant to say*

She could have meant concern. She could have meant consent. I wouldn't know. If she wanted to go around sharing her concerns about what happens when people steal her property on the internet to people who steal her property on the internet that's fine. If she wanted to go around punishing people for stealing her property on the internet without her consent that's fine too. I'm fine dealing with her concern if it means i can use her stuff without her consent, and now i know i can't do either.

You should stop, cuz the Mods will handle your behavior severely.
I played moderator once. I still have the scars to prove it. :(

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
A gentle reminder to keep things civil, not that that seems to be a problem from what I've seen, at least on this board.

I'm sorry for your loss. You all never gave up hope for the character you loved, which, in spite of all the flaming and trolling to the contrary, was based at least partially in reason (multiple, credible sources mentioning him as part of a quartet of Wii U DLC characters, the shadow analysis, etc.).

I posted about this on GameFAQs, but it's ironic, people were so militant about how Ridley had to stay a boss because being a character "would diminish him" or "ruin his character." Nevertheless, here we are with a boss Ridley who's not just a punching bag, but a bloody lapdog, willing to cuddle up to whoever instead of, I don't know, annihilating them?? Fighting back more ferociously??

It's an abomination, and I'm really interested in seeing Sakurai try explaining this one away in Famitsu (if he brought up Dark Pit, you know he'll mention Ridley somewhere. . .). The only way I'd have sympathy here was if the team actively tried adding him as a character, encountered some insurmountable difficulty, and brought about this "gameplay mechanic" as a way to reuse what playable assets they did develop.

If this was their first, best idea for what to do with the character, I don't know what to say, other than that I sincerely hope the next Smash game is developed under new management.

Anyhow, best of luck moving foward. . .I'd recommend pushing for the character in Project M. Hold the developers' feet to the fire by showing them exactly how big a draw playable Ridley can be to a Smash title, one that's not theirs to boot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom