• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
So this Ridley is much more aggressive than the other bosses we know of. That will make things more interesting, I guess. I'm ultimately doubting his chances of being a playable character through DLC, but things can change, I suppose.
^This.

As Ridley supporters we need to be civil and dignified whilst we support. We do not want to support the Stereotypes of Ridley Fans being unreasonable and rude.
I'm not a Ridley supporter, but far be it from me to dash your hopes. More power to you, just like the Mewtwo fans that finally got what they wanted. And as for the stereotypes associated with Ridley fans, I find that there can be jerks on either side. That won't change.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think he's DLC. This is too strange.
I don't, I just think Ridley was planned as playable but he didn't work on 3DS, so they scaled him up and made him a boss. But I'd love it if he was.

I already expected Ridley to end up this way at this point, so I can't say the end result surprised me. But we can still chat about Ridley's role.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I'm just confused as to why they took so long to show him. What on earth was the point of stalling? I might have even thought the way he was implemented was cool if they hadn't dragged it out for so damn long.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I'm not a Ridley supporter, but far be it from me to dash your hopes. More power to you, just like the Mewtwo fans that finally got what they wanted. And as for the stereotypes associated with Ridley fans, I find that there can be jerks on either side. That won't change.
Thank you for your insight and civilized words. I agree with you that jerks exist on both sides.

This is how conversations should be taking place.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
why was this re-opened? Anyway, this was probably the best they could do. He looks awesome. Plus, he gets his own KO stocks. I bet the single most reason that Ridley wasn

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
RIdley should have been shown in the direct from April or as soon as they could. I really hate the flying men and yellow devil so I am not shure How

There is a incredibly small chance of him becoming DLC IMO since I have a feeling DLC will be cut vets., Hopes up for smash 5, I guess.:ohwell:

feels bitter sweet to be posting here again.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Hey, well, glad to be back? Well, regardless of where I will say this, I will always support our Space Dragon and my fellow Space Pirates. We are ever so closer to a playable Ridley, it's going to happen. Detractors can say what they want, I will never falter, we shall never falter. I will always be a Ridley supporter. :)

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I'm just confused as to why they took so long to show him. What on earth was the point of stalling? I might have even thought the way he was implemented was cool if they hadn't dragged it out for so damn long.
Maybe they didn't want to show off what he could do early on.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Well, if he has to be a boss, I'm happy that he's got the most intricate mechanism and is really set apart from the other bosses like Yellow Devil and Metal Face. I consider it not a downgrade, and it is therefore ok by me.

Naturally, if there is some DLC at some point, that would be phenomenal, but I'm content that Ridley is more than a mere pinata at this point.

And I really hope that @SchAlternate's Screen KO image becomes a thing. I am still laughing my *** off at that image.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
When DLC is all said and done then i'll stop begging for him. I pretty much expected this outcome for a long time now, though with Spainkiller saying his source saw the models on the 3DS version, I still have hope for a real playable Ridley later on.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
So. Are we saying goodbye to the thread, or are we still hoping, or what? Now that we know we're getting DLC I guess it opens the floodgates for a ton of stuff. Whether or not Nintendo will be willing to put in Ridley in as both a fighter, and as a boss is a different matter all together really, but at least now we know that Other M Ridley is out of the picture. Guess all there really is to do is play the game while it's out, and if we ever do somehow get Ridley back as a fighter, then we'll all flock back here and rejoice. Toodles till then.

Azew

Smash Lord
Many people were suggesting that during development they were unsure whether he was going to be a boss, character or both. They (supposedly) only decided his fate recently, resulting in him being different than the other bosses. This is just speculation of course, though it seems to makes sense.

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
When DLC is all said and done then i'll stop begging for him. I pretty much expected this outcome for a long time now, though with Spainkiller saying his source saw the models on the 3DS version, I still have hope for a real playable Ridley later on.
This. This relates to my theory that Mewtwo, Ridley, Chorus Men, and Dixie all ran into problems which is why they're being released at a later date (Well, Mewtwo is the only one who is confirmed). It's possible that when Spainkiller's source seen them on the 3DS version, they were still in development.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Well...since you are going to talk about the DLC...I'm out...I already drew some Ridley stuff...so maybe I will draw more of it later.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Many people were suggesting that during development they were unsure whether he was going to be a boss, character or both. They (supposedly) only decided his fate recently, resulting in him being different than the other bosses. This is just speculation, though makes sense.
This still means Ridley was a character at some point or another. Also looking at the video again, Ridley turns into "Meta Ridley" by absorbing energy from the tubes from the sides of the stage. However, was that added much later after Ridley was "hinted" in the first Pyrosphere PotD?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'll admit nothing could have been worse than Brawl Ridley for me (slow, out of character/copy&pasted attacks, etc.).

Though the fact you can "discard" him to get an easy +1 kill is a whole other can of worms. That's literally the description of an item.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
RIdley should have been shown in the direct from April or as soon as they could. I really hate the flying men and yellow devil so I am not shure How

There is a incredibly small chance of him becoming DLC IMO since I have a feeling DLC will be cut vets., Hopes up for smash 5, I guess.:ohwell:

feels bitter sweet to be posting here again.
Not necessarily. Mewtwo is a cut vet, yes, but Sakurai stated clearly that assets from before Brawl can't so easily be used. Cut Brawl vets, for example, wouldn't take NEARLY as long as creating a character completely from scratch. Although Mewtwo is a vet, he has to be recreated from scratch, hence why it takes six months. A cut Brawl vet could be potentially completed quicker, in 2-3 months. I'd say that major releases would likely be popular/promotion characters (Mewtwo, maybe K. Rool/Dixie, Isaac), and cut vets could also be alongside them (Wolf, Lucas, Ivysaur, Squirtle perhaps, Snake iffy, IC's definitely but they may be more complex).

Ridley has a slim chance, but its unlikely.

This. This relates to my theory that Mewtwo, Ridley, Chorus Men, and Dixie all ran into problems which is why they're being released at a later date (Well, Mewtwo is the only one who is confirmed). It's possible that when Spainkiller's source seen them on the 3DS version, they were still in development.
Mewtwo has no footage for him at all, and he's not being released for about six months. I don't buy it. I think the leak is blatantly false, Mewtwo wasn't even STARTED until the 3DS version was complete at least. I do think Ridley was planned to be playable, but he had issues. I don't think Chorus Men were planned at all. Dixie is iffy.

This still means Ridley was a character at some point or another. Also looking at the video again, Ridley turns into "Meta Ridley" by absorbing energy from the tubes from the sides of the stage. However, was that added much later after Ridley was "hinted" in the first Pyrosphere PotD?
Yeah, it was. It was added a lot later.

Robotic Operating Buddy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moguera24
...Wait, there's an All-Star Ridley thread?
I posted on your profile, there was an All star group that included Rids, Rool, Mew2, Snake, wolf, Lucas, and IC.
That's where the majority of us went when this thread shut down. We've had a grand old time. You can ask @Phaazoid for an invite but I'm not sure if we will be using that thread anymore considering what happened today.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I don't, I just think Ridley was planned as playable but he didn't work on 3DS, so they scaled him up and made him a boss. But I'd love it if he was.
Still don't see how he couldn't have worked on 3DS, especially if they ended up scaling him up after deciding he couldn't work.

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am), as I am not fluent in Metroid lore, but isn't the Pyrosphere Ridley technically a clone?

I also noticed that the stock icon, that they showed in the video, doesn't really look like it's from the same Other M design.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Today is a very happy day, but also a very sad day. I want to thank this thread for all of it's inspiration toward me in believing in Ridley, but alas, our dream could not come true. I guess some dreams are just too great to come true. And Ridley in Smash Brothers is the greatest dream any of us could have asked for. If all dreams came true, then there would not be a point in dreaming right? And hey at least he looks pretty damn cool as a boss.

R.I.P. Ridley 10/23/14 ~ R.I.P. Dark Samus 4/9/14

Ridley 4 PM pls

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am), as I am not fluent in Metroid lore, but isn't the Pyrosphere Ridley technically a clone?
Correct.

However Sakurai cares about canon about as much as he cares about logic. Hence the "Meta-Roidley" transformation.

For all intents and purposes, they treat him like Ridley in general/the character as a whole. Similarly to Link and all his different incarnations being different.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Still don't see how he couldn't have worked on 3DS, especially if they ended up scaling him up after deciding he couldn't work.
I don't see why his scale would keep him from being on 3DS. Its how the character moves and interacts. Ridley's model is a bit more complex than other characters, and that's the main thing most people keep bringing up. Its the way he moves and attacks that makes him a bit more complex to get working.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hey guys, remember when you all flamed me for saying that Sakurai was going to be make Ridley a boss again? :laugh:

Personally, I don't think Ridley has any shot at being DLC for Smash 4.

The only chance we have of a quality playable Ridley is Bagan's efforts, and possibly him getting on the team for Ridley to be among Project M's five newcomers.

Sakurai just seems adamantly against playable Ridley for some reason.

Azew

Smash Lord
Yes, (I think it's completly possible for him to still be playable soon) if he was cut as a character in favor of being a boss, that seems like it would be the remains of his final smash.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
They said DLC is coming with Mewtwo, which means there's hope for new fighters. Why exactly? Let's review.

1) Mewtwo is a veteran, which could mean there are more fighters planned but not revealed.
2) Namco posted a job listing for a project known as "Smash 6" that was to be released in 2015, which would be this DLC pack or a later expansion or another DLC pack.
3) Like others said, Other M Ridley =/= Ridley. The more iconic and traditional Ridley would make more sense as a smaller size, especially because his original NES size wasn't too big (he wasn't very big in Melee's intro either).
4) ^They look very different as well.

Either way, it turned out to be a middleground between playable and boring stage hazard I guess. He's like the Flying Men but he's a boss and he's treated somewhat like a playable character. This result fit between the two extremes presented in RelaxAlex's logical analysis of Ridley's situation, meaning Nintendo/Sakurai were not being mean to us nor being hypocrites nor did they make a mistake in the way they teased Ridley nor did Sakurai have any personal dislike towards the idea of Ridley being playable; thus, I do not feel Ridley or us fans have been mistreated nor neglected at all, and I haven't lost any respect for Sakurai nor lost any trust in anything he will say in the future (such as how he does not like creating false hype). The result is still pretty cool; he's like a playable character while being a boss that can also fight for you, while remaining huge and epic!

Note: I guess I was wrong for claiming he was going to be playable, but he didn't turn out to be a boring stage hazard or stage boss either. He turned out to be something in between and possibly better than both combined.

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Mewtwo has no footage for him at all, and he's not being released for about six months. I don't buy it. I think the leak is blatantly false, Mewtwo wasn't even STARTED until the 3DS version was complete at least. I do think Ridley was planned to be playable, but he had issues. I don't think Chorus Men were planned at all. Dixie is iffy.
DLC characters started development a long time ago you can pretty much guarantee it, considering characters take roughly a year to fully make according to Sakurai. Mewtwo and the rest are probably finished for the most part. It's blatant video game PR bull that almost makes it appear like Mewtwo has only just started in the earliest stages of his development. Spring starts in March here in the US and thats about the earliest Mewtwo and the rest could be released according to the date given.

These characters were cut from the initial release(possibly) but planned for DLC a long long long long time ago. Bringing them out 6 months after the initial release keeps the game alive longer and in the minds of gamers that may or may not have looked passed the game initially.

There is an extremely good chance Spainkiller's source saw Mewtwo, Ridley and what ever else a heck of a long time ago.

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I guess it depends how you look at the situation. I feel like Mewtwo was added very late in development (cue Sakurai saying "we're thinking about it" at that Pokemon X and Y event) but did not make it in the final version due to time constraints or problems. Instead of just dropping the character as a whole like in Brawl (If I remember correctly Mewtwo's model was found in the SSBB files in Brawl which I guess shows that he was nearly complete) they decided to continue to work on him and add him in as DLC but pushed him aside for awhile because of debugging. Same can be said about Dixie too IF she was/is planned. Ridley was most likely playable at one point (around the time of his first tease specifically.) but was ported over to the Wii U version as a stage boss because of these problems (Thus why he still has the majority of his moveset is there and other playable features including his "final smash" aka Meta Ridley).. They could've took the Mewtwo route with him, knowing how much cash he would rank in, and decided to work on him as a playable character again (which explains why Spainkiler's source seen him on the 3DS version) but put him aside temporarily because of debugging. If the Chorus Men were playable too, they most likely ran into a problem.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Hey guys, remember when you all flamed me for saying that Sakurai was going to be make Ridley a boss again? :laugh:

The only chance we have of a quality playable Ridley is Bagan's efforts, and possibly him getting on the team for Ridley to be among Project M's five newcomers.

I agree on the DLC part, although I hate to say "never" for such a thing. I'll just give it an "extremely unlikely" scenario.

As far as making Ridley a boss again, I never thought that was an impossible outcome. What I did think, though, is that it was ridiculous how Ridley was the only character not to have his role confirmed shortly after his original reveal. If Sakurai just up and revealed how Ridley worked immediately after the original Smash Direct, we'd be perfectly fine with the outcome and have gotten over Ridley being unplayable a long time ago. The fact that he took his sweet time is what's pissing everyone off.

DLC characters started development a long time ago you can pretty much guarantee it, considering characters take roughly a year to fully make according to Sakurai. Mewtwo and the rest are probably finished for the most part. It's blatant video game PR bull that almost makes it appear like Mewtwo has only just started in the earliest stages of his development. Spring starts in March here in the US and thats about the earliest Mewtwo and the rest could be released according to the date given.

These characters were cut from the initial release(possibly) but planned for DLC a long long long long time ago. Bringing them out 6 months after the initial release keeps the game alive longer and in the minds of gamers that may or may not have looked passed the game initially.

There is an extremely good chance Spainkiller's source saw Mewtwo, Ridley and what ever else a heck of a long time ago.
If every character took a year to complete, the game would've taken 50 years to complete.

No, that's BS. You're not looking at this correctly. The reason why a character would take a year to complete is because they're working on NUMEROUS things all at the exact same time. If they just focus on a small expansion pack, not developing numerous things at once, the characters would be developed much quicker.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044

...I'll be honest, you're the only supporter I feel uncomfortable around simply for your pessimism.

Oh, and that one cocky guy who hated Jigglypuff to death.

Last edited:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I guess it depends how you look at the situation. I feel like Mewtwo was added very late in development (cue Sakurai saying "we're thinking about it" at that Pokemon X and Y event) but did not make it in the final version due to time constraints or problems. Instead of just dropping the character as a whole like in Brawl (If I remember correctly Mewtwo's model was found in the SSBB files in Brawl which I guess shows that he was nearly complete) they decided to continue to work on him and add him in as DLC but pushed him aside for awhile because of debugging. Same can be said about Dixie too IF she was/is planned. Ridley was most likely playable at one point (around the time of his first tease specifically.) but was ported over to the Wii U version as a stage boss because of these problems (Thus why he still has the majority of his moveset is there and other playable features including his "final smash" aka Meta Ridley).. They could've took the Mewtwo route with him, knowing how much cash he would rank in, and decided to work on him as a playable character again (which explains why Spainkiler's source seen him on the 3DS version) but put him aside temporarily because of debugging. If the Chorus Men were playable too, they most likely ran into a problem.
Interesting thoughts. I can definitely see it's possible he was planned to be playable and those rumors were not baseless.

Well, as we know with Sakurai, when he fails to put a playable character in they're pretty much 100% confirmed for the next Smash Bros!

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Oh how I've missed this thread, let's talk about Ridley as a huge cool stage boss, and how that is the perfect role for him.

I missed you all.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
...I'll be honest, you're the only supporter I feel uncomfortable around simply for your pessimism.
I have wanted Ridley for 15 years. I have a damn right to be pessimistic.

A lot of us here are going to be in our 30's or late 20's by the time Smash 5 rolls around.

Cpt.

Smash Lord

If DLC characters were finished for the most part, then we would have gotten more than a trophy image of Mewtwo....

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Huh. I guess the main thing that sticks a pin in Classicley-as-DLC thing is the presence of Meta-Roidley, which seems to indicate that this Ridley is a composite character who simply happens to use the Other M design (similar to Link).

Steelia

Smash Champion
However Sakurai cares about canon about as much as he cares about logic. Hence the "Meta-Roidley" transformation.
When Ridley was drinking those stage juices, I thought he transformed into that black armored Ridley form like how he did in Other M?

erm, bad image, but you get what I mean. Maybe.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
My reaction to Ridley being a boss was actually quite positive. I mean, yes, it's sad that Ridley is a boss and not playable but to be fair, boss is still very good. Perhaps the next best thing to being playable and it's clear that they spent a lot of time fleshing him out.

Top Bottom