• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I almost feel like they did everything deliberately because they knew what people wanted, realized they were in too deep (hence the tease/extreme dodging, not even showing any of the other hazards on Pyrosphere) and thought "Well we've stalled long enough."

Isn't this thread going to spontaneously combust in 70 pages? It may be simpler just to make a new one.
We cross that bridge when we get to it.

That and if my hunch is correct, one of Sakurai's weekly Famitsu articles will probably put it to rest soon enough.

Technically, those two aren't the same ape.

Retro Donkey Kong was Cranky Kong, if I'm not mistaken.
Technically, Other M Ridley is a clone of the original Ridley.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
This image is hilarious when this comic is in mind:

They finally worked out their differences.
Now we know why Ridley didn't come. :laugh:
Ridley should be made into DLC and have a unique gimmick of being Stamina based no matter the mode. When you play as him in the Pyrosphere, either a Ridley Clone or preferrably Bigley comes in instead
It'd be funny if Bigley came instead :laugh: ...
But in all seriousness, if Ridley becomes playable and plays on Pyrosphere the Ridley hazard should be replaced by Meta Ridley.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Ridley should be made into DLC and have a unique gimmick of being Stamina based no matter the mode. When you play as him in the Pyrosphere, either a Ridley Clone or preferrably Bigley comes in instead
I'd be ok with this

He's be terrible, but nonetheless.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Thanks @ IsmaR IsmaR , you're the best~

So in spite of everything that's happened, I'm holding out hope for Ridley to be playable as DLC. It seems perplexing that they'd go to the trouble of making him a playable character in essence and then just withdrawing at the last moment. As IsmaR so succinctly put it, we can't rule anything out - these next few weeks are going to be intriguing, I'm sure of that.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Technically, those two aren't the same ape.

Retro Donkey Kong was Cranky Kong, if I'm not mistaken.
Not saying it'll happen, but that argument can be used against you. Pyrosphere Ridley is a clone of the original Ridley.

So, I guess to joke around, I'll say:
"Technically those two aren't the same flying space ptereodactyl dragon parent eating pirate...thing."

Gotta say, I like the gimmick Ridley has as a stage boss. It's interesting.

?????????????

Smash Master
I don't see why this thread is "useless," in some people's mind. We've known for a loooong time that Ridley could be a stage hazard. But it's never eliminated the possibility that he can be a stage character and a playable character. We've already seen that.

With the announcement of DLC and the confirmation of Mewtwo, I think a Ridley DLC is just as likely as anything else.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
At this point, the saga of Ridley in SSB4 could easily be turned into a 5-act epic with 10 musical numbers per act. We're in Act 5, let's make the curtains close after a final scene of Ridley becoming DLC, he's a little too close to a playable character to fall now.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Not saying it'll happen, but that argument can be used against you. Pyrosphere Ridley is a clone of the original Ridley.

So, I guess to joke around, I'll say:
"Technically those two aren't the same flying space ptereodactyl dragon parent eating pirate...thing."

Gotta say, I like the gimmick Ridley has as a stage boss. It's interesting.
I'm aware, I was just pointing that out since I knew the poster thought they were the same Kongs.

In actuality, we already have examples of characters having multiple roles. The Pac-Man ghosts are an Assist Trophy, Stage Hazard, and Pac-Man's Smash Attacks and one of his taunts, for example.

So I'm well aware they could put Ridley in if they want to.

-----

However, there is a point where I think people should just take things for what they are.

If Ridley ends up playable, then great surprise.

At this point though, holding onto slim possibilities serves no purpose.

Enjoy Ridley the hazard for now. And if he's playable, you'll have a pleasant surprise. If he never ends up DLC though, you'll have never set yourself up for disappointment if you just remain content in his current status.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
No matter what the Ridley train never dies. It just stalls. Eventually he'll make it. Whether it's DLC or in the next game.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
So.
Just one tiny problem.
We're at Page 1930.
We got 69 Pages before we re-restart.
Space Pirates never falter, I guess. :3

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I don't see why this thread is "useless," in some people's mind. We've known for a loooong time that Ridley could be a stage hazard. But it's never eliminated the possibility that he can be a stage character and a playable character. We've already seen that.

With the announcement of DLC and the confirmation of Mewtwo, I think a Ridley DLC is just as likely as anything else.
We can only hope. There is that brawl Ridley icon after all.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Omega Ridley with Slowbeef as VA or bust, for me. If the space dragon cannot be yelling about his presents while punching/slashing/shooting fire at/that weird cawing noise Slowbeef does at opponents, then no space dragon at all. :yeahboi:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Weird in seeing all these old faces that never really transitioned to the All-Star Ridley thread
@ AuraShaman AuraShaman
@ DarkFalcon DarkFalcon
What ever happened to you?
After the initial hype died down I just stopped visiting for whatever reason. I planned to stick around more but I never did. I came back because we got something Ridley related (And MEWTWO!). Yea I'm disappointed with Ridley not being in, but he could of gotten MUCH worse treatment. He's basically a player character that's not a player. It's cool but a kick in the nuts at the same time. It's Sakurai teasing us by showing us he has all the animations there, but he's not available to us!

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Well, now that DLC is confirmed Ridley is back on the table, even if if he has somewhat a low chance at the moment. If Ridley does eventually end up in the game, I'm expecting the announcement to be in mid 2015 at the very soonest, if Mewtwo has to wait so long, Ridley will likely have to wait much longer because they'll have to make him from scratch.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
...Sooooo, considering there is no more speculation material other than DLC, I would predict this thread moving much slower, now...unless we get unlucky, and a detractor swoops in to attack the queen of our hive mind.

Speaking of, Zipzo, considering this thread is on its last leg, got any last words of your victory? We got our moral victory in the form of Mewtwo, so I feel we can take whatever critiscism you can dish out...

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I cooked this up earlier so I shall post it here:
As we all know Ridley basically behaves like a playable character, even going as far as to turning into Meta Ridley once he "eats" something (sounds insanely similar to breaking a Smash Ball and turning into stuff like Mega Evolutions, Super Sonic, etc). It's possible that Ridley ran into minor problems on the 3DS so Sakurai said **** it and made him a boss in the mean time while he polishes him up on the 3DS version. Now, you may say "Why does that matter? He's a boss now and he's gonna stay that way?" or "I'm sorry but the dream is dead, he was planned to be a boss since the beginning" (The second thing is possible and it's also possible that they wanted to make him an unique boss out of respect for Metroid fans but man, Ridley behaves too much like a playable character for me to think that) but remember, Mewtwo is basically confirmed to get by connecting the 3DS to the Wii U. We all know by now that Ridley and Mewtwo were apart of the connectivity leak along with Dixie and Chorus Kids and it's insanely possible they all ran into problems on the 3DS and weren't finished once the game was released. So instead of cutting them as a whole like they did in Brawl, they decided to give people who bought both versions and treat by giving it to them for free whereas others would have to pay for it (marketing 101). You might be thinking to yourself "You're just talking crazy right now" but there's more. Remember how Spainkiller said his source saw these character's models moving (and that they'll be unlocked via connectivity)? Apparently someone asked Spainkiller in a PM what version did his source see these characters on. Wanna know what his answer was? ....The 3DS version.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I like how Ridley was implemented.
He is by FAR the most detailed boss.
Plus I like how he can join the battle as an ally is really neat.
But the fact that his "Stock Icon" is of his Brawl Model, that confuses me. :\

domriver

Smash Lord
Thanks IsmaR for re-opening the Ridley thread. Feels great to post on here again. Despite not being a selectable character Ridley is nearly there. Looking at the footage of Ridley just makes me wonder why they didn't they all the way through with it? At any rate since he is basically a Assistant Fighter. Does he have a Screen K.O? :D That'd be nice. Also yes the DLC gives a "faint" hope for Ridley but my guts tell me this is it. I hope not but mehh. Either way im very very very happy with the way Smash U is turning out! :)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
...Sooooo, considering there is no more speculation material other than DLC, I would predict this thread moving much slower, now...unless we get unlucky, and a detractor swoops in to attack the queen of our hive mind.

Speaking of, Zipzo, considering this thread is on its last leg, got any last words of your victory? We got our moral victory in the form of Mewtwo, so I feel we can take whatever critiscism you can dish out...
Do people really see this as a competition?

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
I'm definitely not expecting Ridley DLC. But I'd embrace it and probably freak out.

Any chance some campaign could start to get him in? Or would that be disrespectful to Sakurai or something?

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

I'm not sure that would really contribute anything. We're here under the banner of support, not to lambaste each-other for being "right" or "wrong".

EDIT: Also IsmaR made it very clear about the mods' official stance on such issues. I think we can all behave civilly from now on.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I'm not sure that would really contribute anything. We're here under the banner of support, not to lambaste each-other for being "right" or "wrong".
^This.

As Ridley supporters we need to be civil and dignified whilst we support. We do not want to support the Stereotypes of Ridley Fans being unreasonable and rude.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

This is in direct violation of my warning.

No, no one is exempt from this (tagging other users for the specific purpose of "Victory" posts), not even supporters.

Does he have a Screen K.O? :D That'd be nice.
He acts and functions basically like a Smash Run enemy/Master Shadow (Core when he copies your fighter) and Flying Man.

Though I admit I'd probably chuckle if @SchAlternate finally got to see his screen K.O. become an offficial thing.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I admit, I like Ridley as a boss. He's really detailed and his mechanics look cool and fun. He's also pretty big. But despite all that, I'll continue to support Ridley as a playable character. From the sidelines, though, as I do every other character. I don't really frequent the character discussion threads. So, that said, I wish you all luck on your epic journey of Rid and of Ley! :)

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
I admit, I like Ridley as a boss. He's really detailed and his mechanics look cool and fun. He's also pretty big. But despite all that, I'll continue to support Ridley as a playable character. From the sidelines, though, as I do every other character. I don't really frequent the character discussion threads. So, that said, I wish you all luck on your epic journey of Rid and of Ley! :)
Yeah, he is pretty big. Weird that he uses the little Brawl icon and not a new one.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
At least he has a perfect moveset.
Let's hope he's DLC, or we could grasp straws and hope he's an Alfonzo case.

Top Bottom