• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Bingo, go brush up on your Metroid lore. Other M or Fusion will suffice, may as well go do both for completion's sake~
I'm not going near Other M with a 20-foot pole, thank you very much. Diet Fusion (All the downsides of the real thing with none of the positives!) doesn't agree with me at all.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Why does Ridley have to be the boss? Just because the stage is superficially based on the area you fight him in Other M? No, they've got plenty of bosses to choose from... Goyagma or Vorash could easily be the boss there, as well as Phantoon, Rhedogian or Kraid.
Maybe because you fought Ridley in Pyrospear in Other M and his Shadow was teased in Smash Bros Direct. I want Ridley to be playable but he may be a Stage Hazard. Sakurai's been De-Confirming Characters left and right. I would hate it if Anthony Higgs took his slot.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Pyrospear? :p Is that a fusion between Spear Pillar and Pyrosphere?
I'd play it.

I have a new theory: The leaked roster is one that was leaked by Nintendo, to get a false roster circulating and cut off other fake roster leaks or destroy the credibility of any real roster leaks that spring up. The "HD render" of DHD came from his trophy (it actually looks more like a trophy render than a Playable Character render). They can make it as realistic as they like. This is just Nintendo trolling everyone who follows unofficial sources.

Maybe because you fought Ridley in Pyrospear in Other M and his Shadow was teased in Smash Bros Direct. I want Ridley to be playable but he may be a Stage Hazard. Sakurai's been De-Confirming Characters left and right. I would hate it if Anthony Higgs took his slot.
He's been disconfirming characters as soon as they're mentioned. Not a year later.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Sakurai may be a troll sometimes, but I don't think he would intentionally piss people of by making Ridley a hazard after one year of teasing. Also, I feel Anthony is gonna be a assist trophy, I dunno, he just doesn't seem to have enough potential for a fighter.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
He's been disconfirming characters as soon as they're mentioned. Not a year later.
Do you seriously still entertain this false notion? The pattern is there for all to see. Not playable means no teasing. Ridley's been teased for a YEAR now. It's not fething rocket surgery! :facepalm:

Edit: :4greninja:'d
Well since you put it that way HYPE HYPE HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
I dont think I posted it before but I support ridley and I support his inclusion and this thread.

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Well, I'm calling it a night guys.

Let's hope that tomorrow's pic of the day is in Ridley's favor for a playable.

Good night everybody!

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
...A thought just occurred to me. Who else wants an event that pits the player as Little Mac against a Giant Ridley? :pimp:
I think that would a good event. Lots of conflict in that battle.

Personally, I want to see an event where you take control of Tiny Ridley and fight Giant Samus.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I have a new theory: The leaked roster is one that was leaked by Nintendo, to get a false roster circulating and cut off other fake roster leaks or destroy the credibility of any real roster leaks that spring up. The "HD render" of DHD came from his trophy (it actually looks more like a trophy render than a Playable Character render). They can make it as realistic as they like. This is just Nintendo trolling everyone who follows unofficial sources.
This has crossed my mind too. It's not impossible, and sounds like something Sakurai/Nintendo would like to do to surprise us later with something else.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Tell me you're joking. Tell me you don't actually believe this. :laugh:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Characters are getting De-Confirmed left and right. I hate to say it but Ridley may be next.

Don't get to hyped well probably get something like the Menu in Smash Run or something Smash Run related we don't care about.
Ridley could have popped up as a boss in any POTD for over a year now. Any morning we could wake up and find a POTD with Ridley bossing up the Pryosphere, but the fact we haven't so far is impressive in and of itself.

I would love if we got anything character related tomorrow, but I doubt it. Fridays really have become Menu Days.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I would bow at Sakurai's damn feet if this were to somehow end up true. He'd be the god of trolls.

domriver

Smash Lord
Even though we had things like Godzilla Monster of Monsters with its large Godzilla and co. sprites.

"Super Metroid you can't count that because of hardware limitations...
But Metroid Other M;
*GASP*
PHANTOON'S, BIG AS GALACTUS' ****! WHO'D OF THUNK IT?"
Seriously, look at how small Phantoon is and then look at that:

You can barely see Ridley here while still being unable to fully see Phantoon. This is his size in Other M, 1:1. I made him and other models 4x bigger to make it easier to zoom in, but even if i would resize ONLY Ridley to be 4x bigger, Phantoon would still be close to his size.
=============

I want Phantoon as an assist trophy now. That size. please Sakurai?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If Other M was placed before Zero Mission, Samus's freakout at Roidley would make perfect sense, still running off the trauma of his attack on K2-L. Which, I'll remind you, was actually inserted into the scene as the trauma she was recalling! :facepalm:
I guess that's one way of putting it, but how would Roidley have even existed if she still hadn't ever defeated the original yet? Remember, he only happened as a result of the Federation accidentally cloning Ridley from his remains on Samus's suit. Place Other M before Zero Mission, she still wouldn't have beaten Ridley yet, and thus no clone to replace him...

Impa X Ridley?

Ironically enough if @ Ridley_Prime Ridley_Prime hadn't told @Yoshi-Thomas not to ship them I never would've approved this, seeing as how I missed the original Ship Request. :p

So really it's all the fault of thanks to @ Ridley_Prime Ridley_Prime that this was able to happen! :awesome:
That part of my post was mostly a joke, actually. With the way Yoshi-Thomas worded his reply regarding the Trophy Quiz theory, I just thought a shipping joke seemed appropriate there.

Was also somewhat curious if you'd still catch on though and turns out ya did. Huh. Truthfully, I think that shipping would discomfort someone like Diddy Kong more than it would me or any Ridley fan at this point. :p

But I gotta say, shipping yourself with some other user seems rather... tasteless.

Let's just say Ridley is a boss in Pyrospear. Could they pull an Alfonzo scenario like whenever Ridley is on the field Meta-Ridley will take over?
Was Pyrospear an intentional typo? Would be fitting to call it that if we get Stage Hazardley, since you know, it would piercespear our hearts.

To address your question though, they could, but I wouldn't count on it.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
I guess that's one way of putting it, but how would Roidley have even existed if she still hadn't ever defeated the original yet? Remember, he only happened as a result of the Federation accidentally cloning Ridley from his remains on Samus's suit. Place Other M before Zero Mission, she still wouldn't have beaten Ridley yet, and thus no clone to replace him...
No, you're putting the effect before the cause. The clone thing had to be kludged in because Sakamoto wanted to kludge this game in between Super and Fusion. If it had been placed properly in the timeline, it would technically be Samus's first clash with Ridley, and there would have been no need for him to have to be cloned from goo scraped off her suit.

To say nothing of that being a plothole to begin with, what with the also-introduced idea that the suit is a hardlight construct maintained by conscious thought. :grrr:

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, what are your three taunts for Ridley, guys?
I would like one of his taunts to be him to stomp the floor with his foot then screech, another taunt should be him tossing the baby metroid in the container into the air and catching it, but I don't have a third idea.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
No, you're putting the effect before the cause. The clone thing had to be kludged in because Sakamoto wanted to kludge this game in between Super and Fusion. If it had been placed properly in the timeline, it would technically be Samus's first clash with Ridley, and there would have been no need for him to have to be cloned from goo scraped off her suit.

To say nothing of that being a plothole to begin with, what with the also-introduced idea that the suit is a hardlight construct maintained by conscious thought. :grrr:
Ah. I'd be fine with that then.

The "will-power suit" as some like myself call it was first introduced in the manga, not Other M, but yeah. That achilles heel of hers theoretically would/should never surface again though (or at least not as severely) once she conquers her fear of Ridley the first time.

I would like one of his taunts to be him to stomp the floor with his foot then screech, another taunt should be him tossing the baby metroid in the container into the air and catching it, but I don't have a third idea.
Tossing around the Metroid's glass container is definitely a new one for me. Don't see it happening, but I'd like it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But I gotta say, shipping yourself with some other user seems rather... tasteless.
That sentiment is certainly something that I expected from some, "relationship jokes" such as that one can certainly be considered a sensitive subject (crosses the line for some, etc.).

Tbh my sense of humor is twisted to say the least, and is really hit or miss, there's no in-between, so people either like it or hate it, as is the case with my shipping jokes.

I didn't mean to offend anyone by the way, if I start crossing lines feel free to start screaming at me.
[collapse=This part is tangential from this thread's subject matter]
Because I don't have a very good sense of these "moral lines" that people have with regards to what jokes will or will not offend them.

Toying with people (in that way with the user ship and Andrea's reaction, for instance) is simply something that amuses me, which I guess means you can call my sense of humor sadistic, in a sense (which is logical considering I am at least partially sadistic (I find violence amusing/entertaining)).
[/collapse]

Kind of makes sense why I'm such a fan of Ridley now, huh?

Anyways:

Could you kindly give us the sources on those leaks?
For the sake of preserving the sanity of some of our regulars (namely @CrypticSpark and @ Skyblade12 Skyblade12 ), and to keep the mods from cracking down on us for continually delving into off-topic subject matter, I would say that any further leak talk should be kept out of this thread.

We all got burned out on the earlier leak anyways, now I imagine most of us want to have some time to recover from that grand mess, i.e. not discuss any other leaks (not that this is the place to discuss such leaks in the first place, but still).

Moving on:

(Realistic) Taunt Ideas:
Up Taunt:

Ridley rears his head back slightly and then brings it forwards (while bringing his arms downwards (think what Goku does when going Super Saiyan)) and lets out a roar, his wings expanding fully behind him for the duration of the roar.

Side Taunt:

Ridley brings one of his arms up to/near his face and slyly chuckles to himself (think like he is looking at his nails, and then chuckles)

Down Taunt:

Ridley fiercely stabs his tail into the ground (jackhammer motion) twice behind him, then lets out a short roar while on all fours.

What are your thoughts on these ^?

EDIT: Forgot about the Baby Metroid thing, that would probably be better for his Side Taunt than what I have written above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Ah. I'd be fine with that then.

The "will-power suit" as some like myself call it was first introduced in the manga, not Other M, but yeah. That achilles heel of hers theoretically would/should never surface again though (or at least not as severely) once she conquers her fear of Ridley the first time.
Well, it was the first time it got pointed out in the games, and it kinda rubs wrong with both Fusion and Other M. :facepalm:

[collapse=This part is tangential from this thread's subject matter]
Because I don't have a very good sense of these "moral lines" that people have with regards to what jokes will or will not offend them.

Toying with people (in that way with the user ship and Andrea's reaction, for instance) is simply something that amuses me, which I guess means you can call my sense of humor sadistic, in a sense (which is logical considering I am at least partially sadistic (I find violence amusing/entertaining)).
[/collapse]

Kind of makes sense why I'm such a fan of Ridley now, huh?
Everyone delights in schadenfreude to some degree, you're no different. :smirk:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I would love if we got anything character related tomorrow, but I doubt it. Fridays really have become Menu Days.
Actually, another menu screenshot may be just what we need. If Sakurai gives us something like the stage selection screen, then we should be able to ascertain the legitimately of the leak.

Or announce a Direct/trailer streaming for next week, that'd be nice too.

Top Bottom