• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Lucina/Robin/Captain Falcon trailer. It wasn't on direct. And even regular direct is unlikely, especially on anniversary of one of the games in development's stages' reveal. So, don't expect anything.
The 21st is the most common date for standard Directs, I believe. But they have fallen pretty widely dispersed throughout the month when they appear, and we are due for one in August. I wouldn't be too surprised to get one.

It won't have Ridley, though.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Here's a thought: Why call the Assist Trophy Nightmare Wizard? Has he been called that before? Perhaps another Nightmare could make an appearance?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Nothing to do with Ridley, and I apologize for that but here's the Japanese packaging for the 3ds version.

Just wanted to share it with you guys.

Found it on Neogaf.
That is awfully weird for packaging. I mean, the two holes are slots to put on a peg rack. It looks as though the packaging is meant to fold on the crease between them. So half of the promotional material is upside down? Also, don't 3DS games usually come in boxes, not on cards? Is that the a card for the downloadable version or something?

Also, if we're getting a new Pokémon game revealed on the 26th, that would be a pretty good time for Mewtwo, and I do still expect Ridley and Mewtwo together.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I'm not going to deny myself a stage because of some childish bitterness. I still love Metroid so of course I'll still play on the Metroid stages. If Ridley's a boss it'll hurt but it won't stop me from playing a stage.
where is your sig gif from?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
theory if ridley is playable what if they did what they done with wario and gave him 2 main constumes one being ridley and one being roidley..? just an idea.
As i have said many times, it is impossible. Either Roidley or no Ridley at all. If we WILL get Ridley alt, then it will be redesigned to fit Roidley's bones, so, it it will have different proportions that match Roidley's. Pure classic Ridley is impossible because it will get messed up like Pikadorf unless extra animations will be made for every single original Roidley animation and that is massive waste of time.

That is awfully weird for packaging. I mean, the two holes are slots to put on a peg rack. It looks as though the packaging is meant to fold on the crease between them. So half of the promotional material is upside down? Also, don't 3DS games usually come in boxes, not on cards? Is that the a card for the downloadable version or something?
I do believe it's a promo for the digital download. All I found was the image, the person who posted it didn't give much info on it.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
I just googled Ridley Smash bros gif and found it. It's a pretty neat gif.

I think it was part of a fake leak. I thought it was hilarious seeing Ridley clap so politely.
Well if Ridley is playable you better get accustomed to it. Also the thread is already startting to glitch out the inside of the replybox is flickering in a way that could cause eppilepsy.

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
I definitely think that Ridley has a chance of being playable just because of Sakurai’s trolling

He’s been hinting at Ridley for a whole year since he showed Pyrosphere stage for the first time, that’s very weird. He usually clarifies that non playable characters aren't in the roster immediately after show them. Why he wouldn’t do the same with Ridley? And if the shadow's analysis is right his size is adapted to be a playable character...

I hope Sakurai surprises us all in the next trailer. I’m going to cry if Ridley finally is confirmed, we've been waiting for so long.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'm not going to deny myself a stage because of some childish bitterness. I still love Metroid so of course I'll still play on the Metroid stages. If Ridley's a boss it'll hurt but it won't stop me from playing a stage.
Though if Ridley himself sucks, then I'll just settle with th FD version.

Here's a thought: Why call the Assist Trophy Nightmare Wizard? Has he been called that before? Perhaps another Nightmare could make an appearance?
I was JUST about to mention that.

Well if Ridley is playable you better get accustomed to it. Also the thread is already startting to glitch out the inside of the replybox is flickering in a way that could cause eppilepsy.
Oh I hope that's how Ridley claps! Who knows, maybe he won't. Diddy Kong doesn't, he just scratches his head and looks sad.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I just googled Ridley Smash bros gif and found it. It's a pretty neat gif.

I think it was part of a fake leak. I thought it was hilarious seeing Ridley clap so politely.
Author of that gif forgot to remove placeholder/simplified version of poligons of Roidley. Otherwise, it would look really realistic and hard to not believe. And if his neck would move and be bent like it usually is.

So, some of you wanna see Nightmare from Metroid in this game? I found his model too...but it lacks face...d'oh! Also, this thing actualy WALKS. On those "arms"...he actually does that in the game or not?

If Ridley is a boss, after i will buy this game, i will either avoid this stage (if Ridley will be really annoying) or use it very often.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
We only have so many pages left.
Anyone want me to make a Backup thread for when this starts glitching?

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010
Remember that pokemon thing that is suppost to be revield on the 26th of Augest. what if that is to be announced within a nintendo direct, along with other BIG announcements!

KotS

Smash Rookie
I definitely think that Ridley has a chance of being playable just because of Sakurai’s trolling
What trolling ? He teased Ridley as a boss. I don't see in what way this is trolling.

He’s been hinting at Ridley for a whole year since he showed Pyrosphere stage for the first time, that’s very weird. He usually clarifies that non playable characters aren't in the roster immediately after show them.
Because he is TEASING. So he didn't reveal him but made sure we understand that Ridley is Pyrosphere's stage hazard.
And he clarifies when he mentions and reveals the character (Waluigi, Skull Kid...)... so it's different here.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
What trolling ? He teased Ridley as a boss. I don't see in what way this is trolling.

Because he is TEASING. So he didn't reveal him but made sure we understand that Ridley is Pyrosphere's stage hazard.
And he clarifies when he mentions and reveals the character (Waluigi, Skull Kid...)... so it's different here.
Welcome to Smashboards, please drink the water. :)

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Compare Ridley's "deconfirmation" to any other deconfirmation. See any differences? Like well ACTUALLY CONFIRMING role? Showing the character itself? Calling that character? It would take few minutes to deconfirm Ridley through PotD if his model is ready. Just add his model to Pyrosphere, pose it and take in-game screenshot. Simple. So, why tease Ridley as a boss? Would it make sense to tease Mario as a playable character? No. Same thing here.
Here is a list of characters disconfirmed in normal, usual way:
Waluigi - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD and in the SSB Direct. (Source)
Ashley - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD and in the SSB Direct. (Source)
Starfy - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD and in the SSB Direct. (Source)
Samurai Goroh - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in the SSB Direct. (Source)
Dark Samus - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in the SSB Direct. (Source)
Dillon - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD. (Source)
Midna - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD and in the SSB Direct. (Source)
Isabelle - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified in a PotD and in the SSB Direct. (Source)
Phosphora - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown in a PotD, role later revealed in another PoTD/screenshot. (Source / Source 2 (As Assist Trophy))
Chrom - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown and role specified (through gameplay) in the video yesterday. (Source / Source 2 (Confirmed to not be playable by Nintendo to IGN))
EDITOR UPDATE Takamaru - Quick and straight to the point: named, shown, and role specified in PotD (many thought he would be playable) (Source)
Thanks to 2nd post for that.

Last edited:

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice

if he really wanted to make it sure then he will have say it in a potd after the direct like he did with some AT and chrom

KotS

Smash Rookie
It would take few minutes to deconfirm Ridley through PotD if his model is ready. Just add his model to Pyrosphere, pose it and take in-game screenshot. Simple.
Well, obviously Sakurai doesn't want to. He wants to keep it a surprise for when the game is released.

So, why tease Ridley as a boss? Would it make sense to tease Mario as a playable character? No. Same thing here.
Because Ridley is amazing as a boss so he wants to comfort players who expect him as a boss. So he just teased him.
And I don't see why it doesn't make sense to tease Ridley as a boss. By the way, not a single newcomer was shown this way before confirmation. They were all kept "secret" and not mentionned until D-Day.
Sakurai said Pyrosphere had a boss from Samus past anyway... so Ridley is AT LEAST Pyrsosphere's stage hazard. He may be playable as well but I doubt.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Can I put the Zero Suit Ridley picture back in here?
I wanna put the Zero Suit Ridley picture back in here.
ZSR.png

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Well, obviously Sakurai doesn't want to. He wants to keep it a surprise for when the game is released.

Because Ridley is amazing as a boss so he wants to comfort players who expect him as a boss. So he just teased him.
And I don't see why it doesn't make sense to tease Ridley as a boss. By the way, not a single newcomer was shown this way before confirmation. They were all kept "secret" and not mentionned until D-Day.
Sakurai said Pyrosphere had a boss from Samus past anyway... so Ridley is AT LEAST Pyrsosphere's stage hazard. He may be playable as well but I doubt.
During the ten seconds Ridley was seen in that trailer, Ridley did not attack a single time. If anything, folks who want Ridley as a boss should be worried by that. The only two reasons people who want him as a boss would be happy with that clip are 1. because Ridley's a boss (however rubbish a boss he seemed to be) and 2. because it means they can tell Ridley supporters that they're delusional.

Also, I'm surprised I would ever have to bring up Palutena, but you don't remember her teasing? You know, where she was shown as a statue and with an ambiguous message? And then the Pseudo-Palutena fake-out?

Additionally, Sakurai never said the Pyrosphere had a boss. Sakurai said "an enemy from Samus' past could appear at any second...".

It helps to do your research before you come into a place and try to argue.

Last edited:

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237

sakurai never said pyrosphere had a boss or stage hazard. its been hinted at, but he never mentioned ridley or his role. also why would you hype up a stage hazard that was a boss in the previous game? whos gonna get hyped over something that already happened?

:4greninja:'d with the 1st part

Last edited:

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice

There's no reason to hint at a boss character for a whole year. If Ridley is not playable, why not to show him at the Smash Direct? It really seems like he's hiding something

And we have multiple references at "Size doesn't matter in Smash Bros" in the POTD comments

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Ladies and mentlegen, we are gathered here today, on #Disconfirmondays, to mourn the loss of our very first guest.
The back of Smash 3DS' Japanese case (the little art on the back, like the boxart) has been revealed (the "Filesize of Smash 3DS on Eshop Revealed thread shows you), and in the Company listing, Konami... isn't listed.
Rest in Peace, Solid Snake. 2008-2014. :snake:
Good riddance. Get out of here, Sony character.

...Anywho, back to Ridley! :140:

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
"SURPRISE! Ridley is in this game and he is...*GASP* A BOSS! Are you excited? ARE YOU?! THAT IS SO TOTALY NEW! IT LITERALLY HAPPENED IN 8 GAMES ALREADY, BUT NOW...IT APPEARS ON THE STAGE AND IT WILL NEVER DISAPPEAR FOR MORE THAN 10 SECONDS! It also stands for 8 seconds doing...*GASP* ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! ARE YOU F***ING EXCITED, MOTHERF***ERS?! ARE YOU?! NO?! WHY THE F*** AREN'T YOU EXCITED FOR SOMETHING SO VERY NEW?! YES, YOU SAW IT 8 TIMES ALREADY, BUT I DECIDED TO MAKE IT EVEN WORSE BY MAKING THAT F***ER DO ABSOLUTELY F***ING NOTHING FOR MORE THAN 8 SECONDS AND EVEN IF HE WILL GO AWAY OR YOU WILL KILL HIM, HE WILL LIKE "SURPRISE, F***ERS!" AND RETURN AFTER 10 SECONDS HE LEFT THE STAGE TO BE A TOTAL C**P THAT IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO RIDLEY. OH, AND THERE IS NO REWARD FOR KILLING HIM! WHY THE F*** AREN'T YOU, F***ERS, EXCITED FOR THAT?!"
Mashed potato Samurai, 2014.​
Does that sounds like a GOOD surprise or just SURPRISE?
It doesn't makes sense to tease Mario as a playable character. Why? BECAUSE IT HAPPENED IN NEARLY EVERY GAME HE APPEARED IN, obviously. Same goes for Ridley. In SSB, Ridley will be butchered horribly no matter what they will do unless they want something that only characters with good projectiles can beat. To make Ridley exciting and RIDLEY as a boss, he must be powerful, fast, ruthless and that f***er shouldn't stop attacking for more than 2 seconds. Like in every Metroid game except for 1st one because hardware limitations.
Ridley wasn't mentioned either. His name wasn't used since Other M (or evenand that is separate game. Only hinted at. So, he is still not mentioned. Give me quote of any of Nintendo developers that has "Ridley" in it and i will give you a medal. That quote must be from 2012-2014 and not earlier than that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom