• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Here's a thought: Why call the Assist Trophy Nightmare Wizard? Has he been called that before? Perhaps another Nightmare could make an appearance?
Ohohohoho, yes, Very, very much yes. Actually, just about any Metroid boss is a yes in my book.
Also, apparently Sm4sh is 2.1 gigabytes. Compare this to Pokemon XY, which has 1.7 gigs. Sm4sh is suspiciously much larger...

Because Ridley is amazing as a boss so he wants to comfort players who expect him as a boss.
Well, I'm not sure what your definition of amazing is, but if you concluded this based on the footage the direct gave us, which was pretty much Ridley flying, stopping, flying again and then doing something entirely incomprehensible, you are very easily pleased because that didn't look like a good boss in any sense whatsoever.

Last edited:

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Well, obviously Sakurai doesn't want to. He wants to keep it a surprise for when the game is released.

Because Ridley is amazing as a boss so he wants to comfort players who expect him as a boss. So he just teased him.
And I don't see why it doesn't make sense to tease Ridley as a boss. By the way, not a single newcomer was shown this way before confirmation. They were all kept "secret" and not mentionned until D-Day.
Sakurai said Pyrosphere had a boss from Samus past anyway... so Ridley is AT LEAST Pyrsosphere's stage hazard. He may be playable as well but I doubt.
First off, by leaving Ridleys role so ambiguous by not specifically saying he was a boss, as we have proven he has done with practically EVERY non-playable character, he is unintentionally creating hype for people who believe he's playable, and if Ridley truly was a boss, then Sakurai would go against his rule of false hype.
Second, how would giving Ridley an ambiguous role comfort players who expect him as a boss? That would only lead to doubts. And PLENTY of newcomers were teased, Palutena's statue was a tease, the boxing ring was a Little Mac tease, and even Pac-Man was teased with Namco items, just because a shadow isn't the same as a statue, stage, or item, doesn't mean it's any less different.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69879448
apparently because snake doesn't appear on the box it doesn't mean he is disconfirmed.
Also, the companies for Mother doesn't appear as well as no Monolith (although shulk obviously isn't confirmed)
there is still a one in a million turnabout here
(my first wright post yay)
EDIT this is off topic oops

Last edited:

KotS

Smash Rookie
During the ten seconds Ridley was seen in that trailer, Ridley did not attack a single time. If anything, folks who want Ridley as a boss should be worried by that.
That scene is not cannon at all I guess. His model and animations may not have been over at that time (if the Wii U version has no release date yet, there's a reason to that, it needs more time). So they just showed his shadow floating there.

Additionally, Sakurai never said the Pyrosphere had a boss. Sakurai said "an enemy from Samus' past could appear at any second...".
Well, the only thing that can appear at any second specifically in a stage is a stage hazard/boss. So yeah, there's a boss in Pyrosphere. And please, it would so dumb not to have Ridley as a boss here. Fighting Ridley on Pyrsosphere makes perfect sense.
If it was just something in the background, there would be no point in saying that.

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
That scene is not cannon at all I guess. His model and animations may not have been over at that time (if the Wii U version has no release date yet, there's a reason to that, it needs more time). So they just showed his shadow floating there.
since when was smash bros "canon" and why would sakurai show something unfinished?

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Ohohohoho, yes, Very, very much yes. Actually, just about any Metroid boss is a yes in my book.
Also, apparently Sm4sh is 2.1 gigabytes. Compare this to Pokemon XY, which has 1.7 gigs. Sm4sh is suspiciously much larger...
718+ Pokemon with atleast 7 Animations EACH, a giant 3D World, tons of Trainer Models, NPC Models, Dialouge, HUD Options, Move Animations, Battle Music, the whole Trainer Model Customization stuff, and STILL it can't beat Smash Bros.
This is gonna be a big game. AND I AM HYPED!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Well, as a cynical b*stard, it could be that Shulkie is disconfirmed.
He isn't. I'm pretty sure that you only need to "copyright whatever" the stuff that you put on the box. Well, for the box at least.

Ignore KotS, his name means puke, so maybe that helps
That's not very nice Ryuga. Say sorry!!!!
In all seriousness though, we should act politely. KotS might disagree with us, but that isn't a reason for us to treat him like dirt. Or puke.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I believe the last time Ridley ever made an appearance with his name in all in something Nintendo-related was...the "Villains Taking over the Eshop" sale, which was something in late March, I believe. He was used to represent the Metroid games on sale instead of Mother Brain, who is sometimes touted as Metroid's "real" main antagonist, which shows just how prominent Ridley really is in the eyes of Nintendo.

But in a video game? I think it was Nintendo Land, or something.

KotS

Smash Rookie
Well, I'm not sure what your definition of amazing is, but if you concluded this based on the footage the direct gave us, which was pretty much Ridley flying, stopping, flying again and then doing something entirely incomprehensible, you are very easily pleased because that didn't look like a good boss in any sense whatsoever.
His animations as a boss were not done yet. So they just set up something lame quickly.

since when was smash bros "canon" and why would sakurai show something unfinished?
Well, he obvisouly did.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well, as a cynical b*stard, it could be that Shulkie is disconfirmed.
Monolith Soft have become a 1st party developer, Shulk could be secret (IS isn't credited on the Melee box either), maybe copyrights only extend to the box art? Three very likely scenarios.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Well, the only thing that can appear at any second specifically in a stage is a stage hazard/boss. So yeah, there's a boss in Pyrosphere. And please, it would so dumb not to have Ridley as a boss here. Fighting Ridley on Pyrsosphere makes perfect sense.
If it was just something in the background, there would be no point in saying that.
His animations as a boss were not done yet. So they just set up something lame quickly.
...8 months...8 months...large group of professional developers...are they THAT incompetent then? That scene is not cannon, sure, neither is Megatron when in robot mode, but it is "canon". It couldn't have been dropped for 7.5 months and then "Oh, wait, how about starting to work on Ridley, then suddenly stop and use that in Nintendo Direct?". It takes less than 1 month to create stage hacks in Brawl. And that is done by unprofessional guys that wouldn't do same thing. I can finish 2-3 Other M Ridley animations in 2 hours. And its not like i am paid or i am professional or something. Those animations still look good. So, it is VERY unlikely he was unfinished.

There is more stuff that can appear at any second. Items, Assist Trophies, playable characters since you can decide when you want to use them, GFX, just objects on the stage. We already had something "dumb" in Brawl - Norfair, where you fight Ridley, with no Ridley. Instead, he was on generic sci-fi factory stage. So, it already happened. Pyrosphere could be first neutral Metroid stage or at least yet another lava hazard stage.
There also was no point in saying anything about Palutena statue either.[/quote]

Last edited:

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
Nothing to do with Ridley, and I apologize for that but here's the Japanese packaging for the 3ds version.

Just wanted to share it with you guys.

Found it on Neogaf.
So apparently we can transfer Miis from both versions of Sm4ah. Woooo! [/sarcasm]

And, what's this about a Meta-Ridley thread? That seems kinda silly to me. Although I totally wouldn't complain if we got Ridley/Meta-Ridley like Marth/Lucina. Imagine the opportunities for too big jokes if there were two Ridleys on the roster xD
Ridley isn't too big for Smash Bros. He's just too big for one character slot. That's why he'll get two! Maybe three? :troll:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69879448
apparently because snake doesn't appear on the box it doesn't mean he is disconfirmed.
Also, the companies for Mother doesn't appear as well as no Monolith (although shulk obviously isn't confirmed)
there is still a one in a million turnabout here
(my first wright post yay)
EDIT this is off topic oops
The name, phrase or Company name KONAMI isn't on the back of the box where dem other comanies are at. As in Konami, the company that owns Snake.
since when was smash bros "canon"
Never, my good friend.
Never. :0
--------------

Well, he obvisouly did.
Can you please leave
We don't like people like you here, ruining our day.
We just wanna support Ridley. :C

PeterJude

Smash Ace

I see you're an expert on Japanese linguistics.

The wording is quite ambiguous to be completely honest. Having a stage based on one Samus battled Ridley on, and making reference to "any enemy from Samus' past" seems to make sense when hinting at a character, a stage hazard, a packed of Metroid flavoured crisps, pretty anything you want to spin into it. All it did was hint at Ridley, arguments can be made on pretty much any side.

I find this thread fascinating. There is so much feeling, and seemingly on both sides. Why anyone would genuinely want Ridley to not be in is beyond me. It's pretty clear there is a massive subset of the community that want him, how would he hurt the game more than any other character? I can understand wanting a character, but not wanting one is just odd. It just seems like people want him not to be in to gloat about how "smart" they are, and how they called it, not anything to do with Ridley.

To be completely honest, I couldn't really care less if Ridley were in or not. I don't really care for the Metroid series that much, and as "cool" as a purple space dragon pirate (or his baseball playing clone) could be, it's not something that particularly interests me. What I do find interesting is why Sakurai would be hyping a stage hazard, when it's neither new (having already introduced the concept in a direct months ago), and hardly new for Ridley to be a boss (or Boss Hazard). They clearly would have known of the demand for Ridley, and with them going about deconfirming characters, even popular ones (though none on the Ridley scale), and making sure it's damn clear what their role is, they have only teased at Ridley, and started doing so what will be a year ago this week. Even if he is a boss hazard, their reasons for doing that are more than interesting on their own.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman

It's true that the scene will have been heavily scripted in order to show the shadow chasing Pikachu like that, but there is absolutely no reason for Ridley to be incomplete. As I said before, they wouldn't tease him while he was incomplete. It'd be pointless, as they could just wait for the next Direct and could tease him while complete. He didn't have to be at the end of the Yellow Devil section. It's highly unlikely they would put him on the backburner after starting development and then show him as unfinished.

You realise that if the scene isn't canon, it doesn't really injure Ridley's chances, correct? If the scene isn't canon, it means they're definitely hiding something. To have him as a boss and to create a scene that isn't even a part of the game to showcase said boss in a purposely ambiguous way would allow for false hype that would be crashed down at the end, which Sakurai doesn't like creating. If Ridley was a boss, there would be nothing to lose just showing him. It would still count as a tease for people that want him to be a boss, and would have put to rest supporters, clearly disconfirming him.

That's just outright not true! You can make any character appear on a stage by selecting them, assist trophies appear at any second, Pokéballs... to claim that it could only mean a stage boss is outright wrong, regardless of implications. In hindsight after the Aprril Direct it may seem to imply stage boss, but before the Direct it was as everyone knows the line is; ambiguous as hell. There is not necessarily a boss on Pyrosphere at all.

It being dumb to not have Ridley as a boss is completely down to your opinion. For example, I can argue back "I don't think so at all. The Pyrosphere doesn't always have Ridley on it, and just because the Pyrosphere is there doesn't mean Ridley has to be" and it's just as valid a point as yours.

It's a collective consensus that Ridley is either playable or a boss. I believe that he could be either, but people that say he's definitely one or the other are looking through it with tinted glasses. There's enough ambiguity here for it to go either way, and if you think he's definitely, 100%, without room for doubt a boss, you're completely and totally gullible and are probably the type of person that had their blood turn stone cold in shock when Palutena was revealed to be playable after the PotD tease.

If you think he's 100% playable, keep in mind that it's entirely possible that Sakurai could have him as a boss just to showcase the new stage boss gimmick. Absolutely nothing is certain until he is confirmed or disconfirmed.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Well, he obvisouly did.
Do you really think the SSB4 development team consists of people so lazy and incompetant that they can't bother to finish a simple stage hazard in the eight months after the stage's official reveal?

It should have been completed at some time after the stage was confirmed in late August. There's no way you could say that "they're still working on it". At the pace that you seem to imply they're taking, the Wii U version won't come out until mid-to-late 2015.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
I think pokken fighters will be revealed on the 26th. That has nothing to do with Ridley or smash but I'm hyped because I'm a huge competetive Tekken player (ranked number 14 Kuma on 360 checkin' hehe).

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
The name, phrase or Company name KONAMI isn't on the back of the box where dem other comanies are at. As in Konami, the company that owns Snake.

Never, my good friend.
Never. :0
exactly my point lol

Weavel

Smash Ace

Well, he obvisouly did.
Did anyone ever bring it up to you that he quickly cleared up misinformation when people were getting excited over characters who weren't playable? And how the Ridley fiasco has been going on for freaken ever and he hasn't even comment on the subject? Why those other subjects and not Ridley? The majority wants him as a character and its impossible not to see this desire, why wouldn't he make the situation clear like he did all the others?

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Fair enough. That, however, would still mean that they teased a character and left the role somewhat ambiguous without clarifications on what the actual role is. Which would be a first time. Remember Chrom? Was not explicitly deconfirmed in the trailer, rectified through a twitter or something. Sable? Second verse, same as the first. Sakurai doesn't want fake hype to be created, and goes out of his way to prevent it. So why did he keep Ridley vague in his role, one of the most requested characters and flat out the most controversial character?
I don't see why he'd tease Ridley as a boss. That's teasing in the same sense a fake treasure chart is teasing; a brutal kick in the nackers for the people that get excited. Which is kind of not what you should be doing when the amount of people that get excited is pretty huge. And yes, people might like bosses, but we are talking about a severe minority compared to the Ridley character fanbase. There is a reason trailers are made for PC's, not for NPC's.

KotS

Smash Rookie
...8 months...8 months...large group of professional developers...are they THAT incompetent then? It takes less than 1 month to create stage hacks in Brawl. So, it is VERY unlikely he was unfinished.
It's not about being incompetent, it's about not having time. The Wii U version still has no release date... so they are incompetent right cuz it's coming months after the 3DS version ? It's just that the game has tons of content so they can't focus on everything at the same time.

There is more stuff that can appear at any second. Items, Assist Trophies, playable characters since you can decide when you want to use them, GFX, just objects on the stage.
So Ridley is an AT then ? Cuz he's referring to him when he says "ennemy from Samus past".
And a playable character can't "appear at any second" since when the fight starts, no one can join, you have to go back to the character selection screen.

Ok time to stop replying this is going to get ridiculous again it's clear there is no changing anyone's opinion as usual. Just asking for rage at this point

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
It's not about being incompetent, it's about not having time. The Wii U version still has no release date... so they are incompetent right cuz it's coming months after the 3DS version ? It's just that the game has tons of content so they can't focus on everything at the same time.
then why show something that isnt complete? why hype up something that has happened before? why didnt sakurai clearly state his role or even his name like all the other characters that were disconfirmed?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hang on, slightly off topic here, that boxart shown, does that mean he have some nice fresh
? MAYBE INCLUDING RIDLEY
Burn this. With fire. And water. Then fire again. We ain't no need that stuff in our momafaving thread.

So Ridley is an AT then ? Cuz he's referring to him when he says "ennemy from Samus past".
And a playable character can't "appear at any second" since when the fight starts, no one can join, you have to go back to the character selection screen.
Then why the f*** would you use something so unfinished you can't even show it? Just sit down, finish it, then show it. Even if animations are not finished, you can still make PotD that deconfirms Ridley in few minutes. I will prove that in the second post by doing what Sakurai could have done already in few minutes.

Actually, he WAS going to be an AT in Brawl...so...that is kinda funny...
Anyway, it doesn't means that he IS a boss like it did in many PotDs with characters like Waluigi. Japanese version of it just reffers to Ridley (something like "This is where Samus' trauma appeared") and this version has higher priority since...well, its japanese and Sakurai is...you know.

I noticed something. If we fail to make a detractor believe something logical in 2-3 big posts, then we won't change that detractor's opinion. It is useless and just waste of time. No matter what we will do, such detractors won't change their opinion. Having your opinion is not a bad thing, but just plain IGNORING EVERY SINGLE THING OTHER SIDE SAYS AND KEEP PULLING SAME C**P WITHOUT LISTENING TO ANYONE is something different. Those who have their opinion and don't ignore what other say, but just don't change their opinion, are fine. There is nothing wrong with them. But those idiots who keep recycling stuff that already has been proven to be invalid are unacceptable. Only Ridley Nuke will finally annihilate those idiots. So, we have to wait mostly.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042

Well, he obvisouly did.
He first revealed the Pyrosphere on August 20th last year, and the direct was shown in April of this year, if Sakurai wanted a Ridley stage hazard done he would've had it done by then. That and why would Sakurai set up some "quick" programming for a Stage Hazard Ridley and then never bring more news about it, even in the later Pyrosphere pics he has shown nothing of a boss Ridley, and now that the 3DS version is complete he would no excuse not to have Ridley completed in a stage he revealed nearly a year ago.
EDIT: For those who say we should just direct this guy/gal towards the second post. I feel like if that's all we say it doesn't really defend us the same way it would be to actively argue in a calm manner with this person. Sure a post full of evidence is convincing, but it's better in my opinion to say exactly what counters their argument instead of directing them to a post that technically counters, just doesn't provide the same feedback an active argument does

Last edited:

KotS

Smash Rookie
then why show something that isnt complete? why hype up something that has happened before? why didnt sakurai clearly state his role or even his name like all the other characters that were disconfirmed?
Well, ask him.
Maybe he just wants THIS to happen. To have people argue for months to finally reveal he was just a boss.
I mean, if a random person watches that Direct, he will think Ridley is a boss cuz that's what Sakurai wants us to think.
Now if that's what he really is, people who hoped he'd be playable can only blame themselves if they're disappointed. Sakurai just teased Ridley as a boss, he hasn't done anything else.

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
Well, ask him.
Maybe he just wants THIS to happen. To have people argue for months to finally reveal he was just a boss.
I mean, if a random person watches that Direct, he will think Ridley is a boss cuz that's what Sakurai wants us to think.
Now if that's what he really is, people who hoped he'd be playable can only blame themselves if they're disappointed. Sakurai just teased Ridley as a boss, he hasn't done anything else.
sakurai has stated before he doesnt like to show false hype, so he wouldnt do that to have people argue. there is no reason to hype up something thats been done before

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Here it is. Straight to the point. No escape. Not HD. Sad face.

I can make better version of it, with actual Roidley, Samus and Pikachu. I just need that "WiiU" thing on the image.

I like how all arguments are basically RIDLEY IS THE EXCEPTION!!!!!!!!!!
Yes. That is really annoying. He wasn't deconfirmed like everyone else because Sakurai doesn't wants to disappoint as much as he would by doing that 1 year earlier without any space left for hope. Why not someone else, like Toad, who is not awesome and is not awesome space pirate dragon?

Last edited:

PerfectChaos9

Smash Cadet
Just thought I'd point something out regarding the 'Ridley not being finished' argument. Nintendo isn't like other companies in the sense that they're always behind closed doors and usually never show off anything unless it's ready. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99% certain that applies here, too. They almost never show off beta gameplay, WIP footage or anything. If they want to show something off, they take the time to prepare a proper trailer or a working demo. If there are ever any changes from a trailer/demo to the final release, it's always been something small and practically insignificant.

Given Nintendo's track record, it's a very, very safe bet that what we saw in April was a finished animation.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Also, playable characters' animations are less fluid, especially at the start of attacks and movement animations (like dashing, jumping, landing, etc). Most likely to make attacks faster. Some of the attacks in Brawl start with character instantly in different pose on frame 1. So, Ridley's animation seen in direct could have been chopped up version of Roidley's flying animation since those animations look very similar except for, you know, Roidley in Other M has animation that is fluid and more fitting for a boss than a playable character.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That simply begs the question why he hasn't clarified his role in a PotD yet then, or at least shown him. Nintendo reps have gone out of their way to clarify that Chrom and Rayman aren't playable when people got confused, and even Sakurai always makes sure to point out who is playable and who isn't, the one time he forgot to say so he even clarified it on Twitter. Why do they do this? Sakurai has stated he hates giving people false hope as it serves no good purpose in the end. Nintendo knows what's up with the community, anytime there's a misconception they make sure to let us know the truth, so why haven't they done so for Ridley when his support is still going as strong as ever?

Last edited:

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
I feel so ignored, the guy I'm attempting to argue with doesn't notice me and everything I state ends up being said by someone else... :c

Top Bottom