• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
This. If Sakurai actually went out of his way to tease a playable Ridley for a whole year, would he really unveil him in the most obvious date?
Oh, I doubt the anniversary of Ridley's shadow means anything to him at all

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
For what is worth, they can announce a Direct on the 27th (Wednesday) and broadcast it on the 29th (Friday). Late Nintendo Directs happened before, so it wouldn't be the first time. What I am trying to say is that I wouldn't get my hopes up for an announcement on the 20th (and you guys shouldn't either), specially if they plan to reveal Ridley in the Direct.
That's a good point, I mean we just got a character reveal last week:4metaknight:. It wouldn't make much sense to reveal a character just after revealing a different one.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't think a smash direct will happen, because the smash direct was announced on a Friday and shown on a Wednesday
I don't think it will happen either. The direct this month will most likely be a "general" one. The focus of the E3 was mostly the Wii U, so I can see a Direct this month mostly about future 3DS releases with one or two announcements of new games + a Smash newcomer.
That's a good point, I mean we just got a character reveal last week:4metaknight:. It wouldn't make much sense to reveal a character just after revealing a different one.
To be fair, there is "only" 27 days left to reveal any non-secret character, so they have to reveal other characters after revealing a different one.

Last edited:

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
I honestly never actually "Supported" any Characters even though I was born in '99, Melee I never knew existed until my uncle got a Gamecube, Brawl I had a broken arm until late 2007 so I couldn't really do anything, but this year I actually decided to support Characters when E3 2012 came around.
That being said, the first characters I thought would be in are Villager, Miis (I even guessed the 3 Classes part 2/3 years early) and I even went to say that Wii Fit would make some sort of appearence (we got the Trainer and the Stage). The only thing I got wrong was that I thought the rosters were different but you could connect the Wii U & 3DS to get the other characters, where I thought Villager was 3DS exclusive and Miis were Wii U exclusive. (I also thought Geno would be playable, but that might not happen Q^Q)

Now look where I am, smack dab in the middle of the Ridley thread, talking about Pokemon, Metroid and for some reason rave partys.
I've grown. :)
You kind of guessed the newcomers, that another evidence that the Gematsu was just a lucky bet among tons of other that survived more than a year ! :)

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, there is "only" 27 days left to reveal any non-secret character, so they have to reveal other characters after revealing a different one.
So what you're saying is that there is only so much time left to build hype and there'd be more hype by revealing him pre-release? Makes sense, I just don't think it will be as early as the 20th.

Honestly even if a direct/trailer gets announced this week I won't even expect Ridley. Kind of expecting shulk but regardless the timing would be weird to announce him now and I highly, highly doubt sakurai has any idea that the 20th is the pyrosphere anniversary.

Reila

People expected Shulk to be the character announced in July and we got the lady in my avatar (as well as Lucina) instead. While I can see Shulk being announced this month, I wouldn't bet on it.
So what you're saying is that there is only so much time left to build hype and there'd be more hype by revealing him pre-release? Makes sense, I just don't think it will be as early as the 20th.
Not exactly. What I am saying is that there is only so much time to reveal any character they have planned to reveal before the release. Be it Ridley, be it Shulk, be it someone else entirely. I am confident Ridley is playable in Smash 4, but I am not sure if he will be revealed before the release, but if he will, I doubt it will be as early as the 20th as well.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I feel like Ridley along with some other big names would be best left until the very very end, like a week or something before the Japanese release, at least in a marketing perspective - it would just be that hype-inductive. Just a feeling I have, could be wrong though. I'd be totally up for a Direct this week though, whether we get Ridley in it or not, I just want to see someone new haha!

Last edited:

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
People expected Shulk to be the character announced in July and we got the lady in my avatar (as well as Lucina) instead. While I can see Shulk being announced this month, I wouldn't bet on it.

Not exactly. What I am saying is that there is only so much time to reveal any character they have planned to reveal before the release. Be it Ridley, be it Shulk, be it someone else entirely. I am confident Ridley is playable in Smash 4, but I am not sure if he will be revealed before the release, but if he will, I doubt it will be as early as the 20th as well.
Ah now I see.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779

Reila

I feel like Ridley along with some other big names would be best left until the very very end, like a week or something before the Japanese release, at least in a marketing perspective - it would just be that hype-inductive. Just a feeling I have, could be wrong though. I'd be totally up for a Direct this week though, whether we get Ridley in it or not, I just want to see someone new haha!
I am expecting two newcomers in the following weeks. One in the Direct and the other one or two days before the release. Ridley will be one of them.
I doubt you know Sakurai enough to make claims about what means or doesn't mean anything to him.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
I doubt you know Sakurai enough to make claims about what means or doesn't mean anything to him.
and you do? I'm making an educated guess based on the fact that the anniversary doesn't mean anything to anyone other than people who read this specific thread. You think he's reading this forum and cares about the meaningless anniversary of a tease?

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
and you do? I'm making an educated guess based on the fact that the anniversary doesn't mean anything to anyone other than people who read this specific thread. You think he's reading this forum and cares about the meaningless anniversary of a tease?
I actually doubt he cares, he cares more about the game anniversaries, so august still has a few days left, and september has a couple.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Apparently Sakurai's priority list is:

1) Keeping a meticulous log of dates and details in order to create a terribly complex and circuitous long-con for no other purpose than teasing a small fanbase in a country on the other side of the planet.
2) The mountain of responsibilities that entails making the game
3) Wife, kids, cat

Beanybunny

Smash Cadet
NNID
atombeany
3DS FC
2019-9824-4588
Regardless of what happens this week...we are down to the last four before the Japanese launch. Something is gonna happen pretty soon one way or the other.

And from the sound of things, Sakurai still has at least a couple newcomer vids to show off...so yeah. The end is nigh!

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Most here are saying they're not getting hopeful/hyped up for this week, but let's be honest with ourselves here, the moment a Direct or anything Smash related is announced for Wednesday we'll all lose our **** in an instant.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Most here are saying they're not getting hopeful/hyped up for this week, but let's be honest with ourselves here, the moment a Direct or anything Smash related is announced for Wednesday we'll all lose our **** in an instant.
Eeeeyup.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Well I expected something to be announced by now. So I'm not going to say "well maybe next week". I'm hopeful, but that's about it.

Exate

Smash Journeyman
We need to keep it under 2000 pages BEFORE Ridley's announcement.
While this thread certainly moves fast, I doubt it'll happen within the next four weeks.
i mean yeah it could happen but i think there will still be plenty of room

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It's going to be very odd to not see the Ridley thread in this forum if he happens to be confirmed this week.

Instead, he'll be there with the other confirmed characters, between Pit and Robin.

Dracandros

Smash Cadet
I really do believe that September is too late to show anything substantial - except for the final reveal of course.

The moment anything involving a Direct or major news is announced this week, I will still lose it anyway.

Last edited:

TKraix

Smash Rookie
If Ridley is indeed playable i hope there will be an other Boss from Metroid Other M as a stage hazard. Maybe it'll work like spear pillar from Brawl where three different bosses could appear. I hope at least for Nightmare, Phantoon or Vorash (or maybe Kraid but he wasn't in Other M).

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm really hoping that a Direct is teased or announced at some point tomorrow. Or at the very least we get another veteran reveal throughout the week, I need something to keep my hype up. And like others have said even with an announcement I'm not going to bank on it being a Ridley announcement as much as I want there to be one (Unless it's a full Smash Direct, then my expectations for some mention of Ridley increase substantially). I'm trying not to be too hopeful of Ridley since it could all so easily end in disappointment. This is the most frustrating thing Sakurai has ever done honestly, I really wish he hadn't dragged this out for as long as he has, and if there is no payoff for all of this then it's going to be even worse frustration.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I'm really hoping that a Direct is teased or announced at some point tomorrow. Or at the very least we get another veteran reveal throughout the week, I need something to keep my hype up. And like others have said even with an announcement I'm not going to bank on it being a Ridley announcement as much as I want there to be one (Unless it's a full Smash Direct, then my expectations for some mention of Ridley increase substantially). I'm trying not to be too hopeful of Ridley since it could all so easily end in disappointment. This is the most frustrating thing Sakurai has ever done honestly, I really wish he hadn't dragged this out for as long as he has, and if there is no payoff for all of this then it's going to be even worse frustration.
On the other hand, the worse the wait, the sweeter the reveal.

To think that a playable Ridley looks more likely then a hazardless Metroid stage.

These are interesting times indeed.
A metroid stage with no hazard? Surely you jest. I can't even imagine Sakurai doing that.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
@ SmilingMad SmilingMad : Eh I guess so, but at a certain point waiting just gets to be so tiresome for something you really want to know about (I'm going to die in a few months when I start sending in college applications for example). But yeah I won't be any less hyped if he's announced to be completely fair, just more annoyed if he isn't. The teasing has been kept up for so long, and Sakurai is known to be one of the best trolls out there, so I'm getting by on the faith that the wait isn't for nothing in the end as a result of those things and my genuine desire to see Ridley in the game.

Dracandros

Smash Cadet
I agree - but this is beyond frustrating. This is a pretty painful process.

I hate to say this though, but this was very possibly the way it was always going to be. With so many Metroid anniversaries all being in August and with Ridley almost always being the last boss before the finale, it's only fitting that his reveal, if there is one, stays in the same pattern.

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
I hate to say this though, but this was very possibly the way it was always going to be. With so many Metroid anniversaries all being in August and with Ridley almost always being the last boss before the finale, it's only fitting that his reveal, if there is one, stays in the same pattern.
August confirmed as the month of Ridley.

Top Bottom