• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
its already the 17th, i think we can forget about anything on the 20th, otherwise we'd have gotten some kinda news about it by now, dont you think?

if its in the form of a PotD, then i cant imagine the news being any good... it'll either be a deconfirmation or even more teasing...
No, we wouldn't have. We never get word of a Wednesday Nintendo Direct on Saturday or Sunday. We might get it mid-Monday, if we're lucky, but Tuesday is the more likely suspect.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I don't have to try again. Other M Ridley still has problematically long limbs. Compare him to Charizard. He has a longer everything than Charizard.
OM Ridley have propotions similar to Ganondorf's (not Brawl Ganondorf, OoT, TP, HW, ect Ganondorf) and size close to him too. So, Ganondorf has longer everything than Charizard (that is actually true), so, he can't be playable.

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
I don't have to try again. Other M Ridley still has problematically long limbs. Compare him to Charizard. He has a longer everything than Charizard.
It seems that everyone everyone has longer everything than Charizard, including bowser who I think is the only legitimate contender here, it's kind of unfair to compare Roidldy with T-Rex arms McGee.

I used a sized down version because I'm dumb:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
It was going to happen eventually xD

Here's where I would normally post one of the many joke pictures about Ridley's size, but it's past midnight and I should start adhering to a decent sleep schedule before university starts up again xD
Well, since I was already thinking about this earlier and now since you brought it up, I decided to do this.

Take this as you may, but this was just for fun for anyone viewing it. Any detractors taking this seriously, shame on you. :glare:

http://i.imgur.com/ctcGasq.png

Compare him to Charizard. He has a longer everything than Charizard.

Is it just me, or does Charizard's Wing's look bigger then Brawl's.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well, since I was already thinking about this earlier and now since you brought it up, I decided to do this.

Take this as you may, but this was just for fun for anyone viewing it. Any detractors taking this seriously, shame on you. :glare:

http://i.imgur.com/ctcGasq.png
Few seconds after you posted that image, a thread on GamesFAQ will be created where this will be used as evidence why Ridley can't be playable and everyone who will say that this is a joke and it can't be used as evidence will be insulted and called "delusional idiot".

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Few seconds after you posted that image, a thread on GamesFAQ will be created where this will be used as evidence why Ridley can't be playable and everyone who will say that this is a joke and it can't be used as evidence will be insulted and called "delusional idiot".
Again;
Any detractors taking this seriously, shame on you. :glare:

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
OM Ridley have propotions similar to Ganondorf's (not Brawl Ganondorf, OoT, TP, HW, ect Ganondorf) and size close to him too. So, Ganondorf has longer everything than Charizard (that is actually true), so, he can't be playable.
It seems that everyone everyone has longer everything than Charizard, including bowser who I think is the only legitimate contender here, it's kind of unfair to compare Roidldy with T-Rex arms McGee.
You're missing the point. Ridley is an upright, dragon-like character with wings, a long neck and snout, and a tail. Charizard is also an upright, dragon-like character with wings, a long neck and snout, and a tail. I bring this comparison because whenever Charizard extends an extremity to attack or move, his presence on the battlefield grows. In a sense, he gets bigger, sort of like how Mario's model literally gets bigger whenever he throws a punch. Whenever a character extends their form in any way, they envelop more of the screen into their personal space. Charizard can do this without having ridiculous reach or taking up tons of screen or automatically stealing the center of attention because of how he is designed: a bit stubby. If Ridley were to take the same actions, he would rule the spotlight like a boss monster just by virtue of how much space he covers and motion he encompasses. Look at the size chart you posted and think about it.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You're missing the point. Ridley is an upright, dragon-like character with wings, a long neck and snout, and a tail. Charizard is also an upright, dragon-like character with wings, a long neck and snout, and a tail. I bring this comparison because whenever Charizard extends an extremity to attack or move, his presence on the battlefield grows. In a sense, he gets bigger, sort of like how Mario's model literally gets bigger whenever he throws a punch. Whenever a character extends their form in any way, they envelop more of the screen into their personal space. Charizard can do this without having ridiculous reach or taking up tons of screen or automatically stealing the center of attention because of how he is designed: a bit stubby. If Ridley were to take the same actions, he would rule the spotlight like a boss monster just by virtue of how much space he covers and motion he encompasses. Look at the size chart you posted and think about it.
Realistic characters don't have anything like that. It is limited to only cartoonish/not realistic characters like Pokemons, Yoshi and Mario. Compare Samus and Ganondorf to Mario and Wario. So, Ridley will always have same size of his limbs no matter what he does.
If you don't believe that, try to find at least single frame of animation where realistic character's parts grow in size noticably. SSB64 doesn't counts.
By the way, Rob has long arms, etc, and they grow in size during certain attacks. ROB itself is large. Same goes to Bowser, but maybe not that much.

Last edited:

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
That's not even what I'm arguing. I meant that it's similar in concept to how Mario's fist grows, not literally like how his fist grows. I'm sorry if that analogy was not clear. Ridley would be portrayed as a serious and realistic character, yes, and the point is that his elongated figure would create a problem. In theory his body mass could be scaled down to an acceptable size, but like a spring coiled up or a crouching cat about to pounce he would "grow" much bigger in practice.

Last edited:

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Realistic characters don't have anything like that. It is limited to only cartoonish/not realistic characters like Pokemons, Yoshi and Mario. Compare Samus and Ganondorf to Mario and Wario. So, Ridley will always have same size of his limbs no matter what he does.
If you don't believe that, try to find at least single frame of animation where realistic character's parts grow in size noticably. SSB64 doesn't counts.
By the way, Rob has long arms, etc, and they grow in size during certain attacks. ROB itself is large. Same goes to Bowser, but maybe not that much.
ROB is supposed to be the Toy come to life and a real life ROB is really small yet in Brawl ROB is somehow taller then Ness So you can't really use ROB as an example

Gaxel

Smash Ace
ROB is supposed to be the Toy come to life and a real life ROB is really small yet in Brawl ROB is somehow taller then Ness So you can't really use ROB as an example
Technically, all the fighters are toys in a kid's room fighting each other.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
That's not even what I'm arguing. I meant that it's similar in concept to how Mario's fist grows, not literally like how his fist grows. I'm sorry if that analogy was not clear. Ridley would be portrayed as a serious and realistic character, yes, and the point is that his elongated figure would create a problem. In theory his body mass could be scaled down to an acceptable size, but like a spring coiled up or a crouching cat about to pounce he would "grow" much bigger in practice.
Let me do away with that for you here and now: Ganondorfs Warlockpunch. Also SWORDS. Ridley having the reach of a sword user wouldn't be problematic AT ALL. And Ganondrofs Warlockpunch/Cpt. Falcons Falcon Punch both steal the attention. Ever saw how HUGE that Firebird is? and the reach on it? Just saying. Also Ikes range is massive.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
...that is not size argument. He is large (not Bowser-large, just large) and has long "arms" - that is what im talking about. Every character is a toy/trophy too. That is also why size doesn't matters.
We have guys who use swords and those swords are not part of their hitboxes. We also have Palutena with very long range of attacks. We have Bowser too and he is really big in Brawl (he is smaller in Sm4sh for whatever reasons). That is still not a problem. He doesn't has THAT long limbs anyway.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Marth's Grab in Melee is Longer then Yoshi :D
That is not what i am talking about either...are you even serious? ROB's arms GROW even though they are long enough already. That is what i am talking about. Someone's already long part grows in size. Still, that is not what that guy was talking about.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
So what if Ridley is a big character with large reach? They'd probably balance it out by either making the hitbox narrow and easy to dodge or make his longer reach attacks relatively weak.

Also, he may be lanky, but his arm is still almost as wide as Samus's body.

hmmmm.png

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So what if Ridley is a big character with large reach? They'd probably balance it out by either making the hitbox narrow and easy to dodge or make his longer reach attacks relatively weak.

Also, he may be lanky, but his arm is still almost as wide as Samus's body.

View attachment 21863
RIDLEYSUS! Ridley's head is giant! That is also why i prefer Roidley.

I found something - Roidley has unused attacks/animations. One of them is biting Samus while he is holding her either from left or right. There is other things like headbutt (while holding Samus), second grab attempt after failed 1st one, roar while holding Samus, etc. Some of them are messed up (shoulders only). Also, Dogley/Adolescent Ridley can use his tail like a drill. What do you think - is it exclusive to Dogley or Roidley could use that too?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Oops busted. It's over fellas.

QUICKLY! ACTIVATE SELF-DESTRUCTION SEQUENCE! DESTROY ANY EVIDENCE OF OUR EXISTENCE!
Oh, and none shall escape because we ran out of budget before we could build something that would allow us to escape this Ridley train.

Anyway, something off-topic - am i the only one who thinks that Rhedogian looks like one of Majora's mask forms?

Last edited:

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Let me do away with that for you here and now: Ganondorfs Warlockpunch. Also SWORDS. Ridley having the reach of a sword user wouldn't be problematic AT ALL. And Ganondrofs Warlockpunch/Cpt. Falcons Falcon Punch both steal the attention. Ever saw how HUGE that Firebird is? and the reach on it? Just saying. Also Ikes range is massive.
Ridley is a character comprised entirely of swords, metaphorically speaking.

Last edited:

Zekrom101

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zekrom101
Looks more like Birdley's first evolution, since you can see some purple between Dedede's hammer and arm, if this is Roidly, he would very tiny...

I'm scared! D:

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Ridley is a character comprised entirely of swords, metaphorically speaking.
Nope. If you watched some videos of Brawl Hacks or Ridley in Mugen its not even close to being like that. Everything to do with his normals would be like having a Sword (hello any other swordfighter) and his specials could be plasma breath (doesn't change anything on size) , flying (his wings aren't a lot bigger than Charizards), another clawswipe (meaning another sword-reach-attack) and his pogotail (lifting ridley up and only having a hitbox on the ground and still a normal hurtbox). Let's take Ike : Normals use Sword: Check. Special creates a huge explosion, another makes him travel incredibly fast with a sword reached hit at the end: check. his up b has a massive hitbox (basically drawing a circle around his hude sword) : not bad. Only thing is his down B is a counter. I see 0 problems with Ridley/Roidley.

Last edited:

Weavel

Smash Ace
So I really want Ridley to be confirmed... cause that would be nice and totally make my day.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Ridley's just watching from that hole, biding his time until he can finally make his appearance.
Considering how long it's been, he's probably gone and completely furnished the hole. May as well make yourself comfortable while you wait for Sakurai to call your name.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
I always just hung around this thread, not knowing whether or not I supported ridley, despite being a huge metroid fan, but then I saw this video showing how well ridley could work, even the skinny design people say would look weird, and instantly became a ridley supporter:

Brawl Hacks Special: Ridley Released!
(Had to put title as I have under ten posts so I can't link)

To me this video kills all arguments against ridley as it shows how well it could look in game.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I always just hung around this thread, not knowing whether or not I supported ridley, despite being a huge metroid fan, but then I saw this video showing how well ridley could work, even the skinny design people say would look weird, and instantly became a ridley supporter:

To me this video kills all arguments against ridley as it shows how well it could look in game.
Heh. I love the forward throw, just grind 'em against the floor. That said, I believe that Ridley could look better if he was a head or so bigger.
Also, I will never understand people saying Ridley would be a Charizard clone. Look at OtherMley. He's closer to DK than to Char.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Welcome to this thread. And holy Ridley, your avatar reminds me of Jeff the Killer. And that is not a good thing...now we need to make Ridley look like either Jeff or Slenderman...and i need some brain bleach...

I personally think it isn't a very good hack mostly because of few animations, throw target issues (they suddenly stop moving or go into T-pose, noticable in Down and Forward throw, Up throw looks better while Back throw has target stop moving at the end of animation few frames before tail hits it) and model used. This model is really messed up, especially neck (Г instead of L)...

I liked Angelglory's idea except for ione of its main parts - making this PSA for an alloy. That is a bad idea because it would make him boring.

I seriously need some guide for those Other M files - all of them have numbers for names and that makes it impossible to find files i need without having to choose every file one after another.

Last edited:

Zekrom101

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zekrom101
Guys, he's right with the pic with Dedede...
On the left is a claw and on the right also something purple, you can see there is something, since the door in the background doesn't go all the way to Dedede's arm

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guys, he's right with the pic with Dedede:

Those are nothing but the sparks that are a part of the visual effect of the trail left by an opponent being knocked away by a hard attack, in this case Dedede's F-Smash.

The "white tip" that can be perceived on the left spark is actually just a part of the background that coincidentally lined up with the end of the spark.

This isn't anything to worry about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom