• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
Ahh... *trying to say something to talk about* emm...hey guys, what is it about the lading lag in aerials in this game? you think it will affect Rydley? like he will have lots or none

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The Chomper plants from Plants Vs Zombies have a swallowing animation. Final smash for Ridley confirmed!
I suppose my cover could be a space-pirate biologist... :>
A space pirate biologist that specializes in... beaky birds, or bird-like creatures! Sounds perfect to me xD

That would be an amazing final smash though. If they're close enough when you use it, it's unblockable, you just chomp them, and then waddle around with them in your mouth for awhile before finally swallowing them whole, and they're entirely helpless the entire time. I'm reminded of little shop of horrors.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to see a heroic member of Ridley's species show up at some point in the future. Or heck, just another random member, good or evil.

The Captain N comic, stupid as it was, had a Galactic Federation judge be the same species as Ridley (So they could have Ridley replace him and throw Samus in the slammer, of course.) It'd be interesting to see how your average space dragon tries to fit into society.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I'd love to see a heroic member of Ridley's species show up at some point in the future. Or heck, just another random member, good or evil.

The Captain N comic, stupid as it was, had a Galactic Federation judge be the same species as Ridley (So they could have Ridley replace him and throw Samus in the slammer, of course.) It'd be interesting to see how your average space dragon tries to fit into society.
How do you arrest Samus? She's literally a walking nuke.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
The Internet:
>Comment supporting Ridley with reasonable arguments gets a lot of thumbs downs and/or negative replies.
>Comment in the same topic saying Ridley is too big and/or calling supporters names (like RidleyF*gs) gets unreal amounts of likes.

Me:

Last edited:

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice
A space pirate biologist that specializes in... beaky birds, or bird-like creatures! Sounds perfect to me xD

That would be an amazing final smash though. If they're close enough when you use it, it's unblockable, you just chomp them, and then waddle around with them in your mouth for awhile before finally swallowing them whole, and they're entirely helpless the entire time. I'm reminded of little shop of horrors.
Honestly that sounds like a cool tradeoff. We already know that Ridley healed himself by devouring people, so maybe as a final smash he could grab someone and eat them. While carrying them around, he heals at a slow rate, but his movements are much slower, and if he is attacked enough he has to release the player, maybe? Though I suppose if he can just release them, it would be a pretty underpowered final smash.
Although I gotta say, that sounds pretty terrifying. It's one thing to get shot with a cannon and go flying off screen, but quite another to get swallowed whole (assumedly whole) and get like... processed into health. It sounds fricken cool, but perhaps a liiiiiiittle mature for Smash Bros. X>

Edit: Then again, when you play as King Dedede, you can throw a Waddledee and then suck it up, and he totally eats them permanently, so I suppose maybe it's not as mature as I'm thinking it is. Still though. That sound it makes is gross.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Honestly that sounds like a cool tradeoff. We already know that Ridley healed himself by devouring people, so maybe as a final smash he could grab someone and eat them. While carrying them around, he heals at a slow rate, but his movements are much slower, and if he is attacked enough he has to release the player, maybe? Though I suppose if he can just release them, it would be a pretty underpowered final smash.
Although I gotta say, that sounds pretty terrifying. It's one thing to get shot with a cannon and go flying off screen, but quite another to get swallowed whole (assumedly whole) and get like... processed into health. It sounds fricken cool, but perhaps a liiiiiiittle mature for Smash Bros. X>

Edit: Then again, when you play as King Dedede, you can throw a Waddledee and then suck it up, and he totally eats them permanently, so I suppose maybe it's not as mature as I'm thinking it is. Still though. That sound it makes is gross.
Oh, I totally don't see it ever happening in smashbros, seeing as it would kill the other player, and traditionally in smashbros that can only happen by leaving the screen from one of the 4 (or fewer) sides of the stage. Seeing as no move or final smash has broken that rule yet, I doubt it will ever happen. I just thought it was an awesome idea and ran with it xD

But yeah, maybe the rate of digestion could be different for different enemies. Like, OIimar would only take a few seconds to swallow, but like, another Ridley? If we're going by size, that might take a few decades

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I totally don't see it ever happening in smashbros, seeing as it would kill the other player, and traditionally in smashbros that can only happen by leaving the screen from one of the 4 (or fewer) sides of the stage. Seeing as no move or final smash has broken that rule yet, I doubt it will ever happen. I just thought it was an awesome idea and ran with it xD

But yeah, maybe the rate of digestion could be different for different enemies. Like, OIimar would only take a few seconds to swallow, but like, another Ridley? If we're going by size, that might take a few decades
So let me get this straight... We have confirmed that Ridley is too big for Ridley.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Ridley would first kill before eating. It makes things easier. And Final Smashes must be able to damage other 2 enemy characters (not always, but it must be possible) if there is more than 1. Is there ANY Final Smash that can damage only single target?

We have Kirby. A pink something that goes to commit genocide just to get his cake back. But he does that in a less realistic way.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
So let me get this straight... We have confirmed that Ridley is too big for Ridley.
It was going to happen eventually xD

Here's where I would normally post one of the many joke pictures about Ridley's size, but it's past midnight and I should start adhering to a decent sleep schedule before university starts up again xD

Zynux

Smash Lord
Wait this is actually a thing? Why do we believe he works for Nintendo?
I misunderstood, I thought he was asserting that the "Mike" worked at Nintendo, but upon re-reading his post (which was difficult to understand admittedly) I don't think that's what he meant :facepalm:

Nothing to see here, then.

I think it's been mentioned that the Space Federation exterminated Ridley's race when he was young
Never to my understanding. That's just a fan theory that got popular for whatever reason.

Wait, Ridley's a girl? :crazy:
No. I would love to get into a passionate heated gender discussion though, but such actions are discouraged... :sadeyes:

Ridley is technically just "Ridley" anyway, there's no need to attach a gender to the Space Dragon arbitrarily. It is immaterial to him/her/it.

Ahh... *trying to say something to talk about* emm...hey guys, what is it about the lading lag in aerials in this game? you think it will affect Rydley? like he will have lots or none
Hopefully he will have little, if he truly is an airborne fighter, but way too many characters already have huge landing lag in Smash 4...

I agree, or maybe a metroid game where Ridley is actually the main antagonist, or at least seemingly so?
He was the Main Antagonist in Metroid Prime, but admittedly he shared it with Metroid Prime/Phazon

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Nope. That's just a fan theory that got popular for whatever reason.
Because the alternative is to imagine an entire race of psychotic, ultra powerful star dragons. Humanity would just be dead. We'd rather deny the possibility.

He was the Main Antagonist in Metroid Prime, but admittedly he shared it with Metroid Prime/Phazon
Agreed, I'd count him as main antagonist there, even if he isn't the final boss. You land on Tallon IV following him, and you disrupt his actions (the Space Pirate's activities) throughout most of the game. Not to mention getting hints that he's still around, like Pirate Logs or the Phendrana scene.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I could see Ridley's trailer featuring returning villains.

Maybe Ganondorf and Mewtwo could introduce him a event match 51 themed trailer, you know we Ganondorf, Mewtwo, and then not Giga Bowser, but Ridley!

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I could see Ridley's trailer featuring returning villains.

Maybe Ganondorf and Mewtwo could introduce him a event match 51 themed trailer, you know we Ganondorf, Mewtwo, and then not Giga Bowser, but Ridley!
I could easily see them making a throwback to Event 51 sooner or later.

That event was much better than that piece of crap they tried in Brawl. Stupid Giant Mario, cheap ass ******* one hit KOing me every ****ing time.

An expanded version of that would be awesome. You VS Bowser, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, King Dedede, Wolf, Ridley, King K Rool, Porky and Medusa.

#Wishful thinking

Last edited:

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice
Ridley would first kill before eating. It makes things easier. And Final Smashes must be able to damage other 2 enemy characters (not always, but it must be possible) if there is more than 1. Is there ANY Final Smash that can damage only single target?

We have Kirby. A pink something that goes to commit genocide just to get his cake back. But he does that in a less realistic way.
Actually, not necessarily. Assuming you're equipped to do it, swallowing a victim whole is actually a much easier process. It is, however, an ability that is hard to imagine amongst mammals such as Mario and Samus, who are of the species known as "Hummins". Assuming Ridley is based off of reptiles or perhaps birds, the priority when eating is to swallow, whether alive or dead first. As a result, many birds and reptiles are renowned for swallowing their prey whole and alive.

It's all about the teeth, or lack thereof. Animals with molars (rounder, flatter teeth) actually chew their food. Birds and reptiles, with sharper teeth and beaks, are not equipped to chew, but instead have oral gadgetry more accustomed to grabbing something and holding onto it. Chewing with sharp teeth is nigh impossible. So at best, Ridley would rip his prey into swallowable chunks, or simply grab them and down it in one go. Seeing as one option exists in horror movies, and the other exists in saturday morning cartoons, I'm inclined to believe that Ridley's consumption habits for this game at least wouldn't be so... graphic. Assuming of course he ate anyone at all, which is certainly quite an assumption to be made!

Also, to answer your question, not to my recollection. However, we do have final smashes that do next to nothing to anyone, and serve as more of a minor annoyance. *cough* Rosalina *cough*.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Because the alternative is to imagine an entire race of psychotic, ultra powerful star dragons. Humanity would just be dead. We'd rather deny the possibility.
Just send Samus to their planet(s) to just use universal greeting. Just imagine that:
*Samus arrives to the planet*
"Bah-weep-graaaaagnah wheep nini bong."
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
*5 minutes until planet's self-destruction*
*Boom.*

MISSION COMPLETE!
YOUR RATE OF ITEMS COLLECTED:

100%

(there was no items, so, you collected everything here)

SEE YOU NEXT MISSION!
Actually, not necessarily. Assuming you're equipped to do it, swallowing a victim whole is actually a much easier process. It is, however, an ability that is hard to imagine amongst mammals such as Mario and Samus, who are of the species known as "Hummins". Assuming Ridley is based off of reptiles or perhaps birds, the priority when eating is to swallow, whether alive or dead first. As a result, many birds and reptiles are renowned for swallowing their prey whole and alive.

It's all about the teeth, or lack thereof. Animals with molars (rounder, flatter teeth) actually chew their food. Birds and reptiles, with sharper teeth and beaks, are not equipped to chew, but instead have oral gadgetry more accustomed to grabbing something and holding onto it. Chewing with sharp teeth is nigh impossible. So at best, Ridley would rip his prey into swallowable chunks, or simply grab them and down it in one go. Seeing as one option exists in horror movies, and the other exists in saturday morning cartoons, I'm inclined to believe that Ridley's consumption habits for this game at least wouldn't be so... graphic. Assuming of course he ate anyone at all, which is certainly quite an assumption to be made!

Also, to answer your question, not to my recollection. However, we do have final smashes that do next to nothing to anyone, and serve as more of a minor annoyance. *cough* Rosalina *cough*.
Since Ridley will be smaller if he is playable, he will have to rip his prey into swallowable chunks like you said. Even Olimar won't fully fit into his mouth. So, it will become very graphic in every case. Last part is what i would like to happen, but meh whatever, its Nintendo.

Rosalina's final smash has explosion in the end that can KO those who are caught in it. It is as effective as things like Triforce Slash and Galaxia Darkness or whatever MK's final smash is called. If Ridley's final smash will damage only single target, then other ways to KO enemies will be better unless you just don't want someone to get Final Smash.

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
what about Yoshi...?
They are hermaphrodites, which is actually seen in Reptilian Specie. They can produce their young without need of another partner through the usage of both organs.

Or they are genderless but express traits from both genders through personality while producing asexually.

Back to Ridley though.. Is this drought killing you? It's certainly killing me.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
They are hermaphrodites, which is actually seen in Reptilian Specie. They can produce their young asexually through the usage of both organs.

Back to Ridley though.. Is this drought killing you? It's certainly killing me.
The drought of Mewtwo, Ridley and King K Cruel are all killing me. These guys need their villain trailer asap....

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Hey.

Let's say that bosses in Smash Run only appear if you do a specific task for each one.

And beating a boss after making it appear grants you some special reward.

What if the reward for taking down Kraid was Ridley?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I gained access to Metroid Other M files...now i can haunt someone with teh Little Birdie images...and some Dogley (he wasn't trying to stab Samus' head, he just wanted some hugs and love until that big bad guy shot him - he was so rude and bad!).

I AM THE WHITE PUFF BALL OF DEATH VOID! I AM THE et cetera et cetera
THE END HAS COME!*
*Where did that quote came from? I heard it somewhere...
Hey.

Let's say that bosses in Smash Run only appear if you do a specific task for each one.

Then it will be something unique compared to previous requirements for unlocking characters.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Hey.

I'd like that. Take down a boss to unlock....a boss character....
Except it's actually a playable character this time. xD It fits.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I gained access to Metroid Other M files...now i can haunt someone with teh Little Birdie images...and some Dogley (he wasn't trying to stab Samus' head, he just wanted some hugs and love until that big bad guy shot him - he was so rude and bad!).

THE END HAS COME!*
That'd be Hakumen from BlazBlue.

"I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword. With blade in hand shall I reap the sins of this world and cleanse it in the fires of destruction. I am Hakumen. The end has come!"

Google is such a nice thing!

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
I really hope we get a date for a direct soon so we can get that Ridley reveal video, it'd just be soooo epic!

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
I'm getting really impatient lately...I need my direct. It's really harsh that all they've given us is stupid top tier Meta Knight AND YET NO REVEAL TRAILER OR ANYTHING. Seriously though, why is it that we aren't getting anything? Sakurai has no idea what pain this is putting me through WHEN I DON'T KNOW IF RIDLEY IS IN OR NOT.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

THE END HAS COME!*

Can I have a rotating gif of that thing out of Hell like the ones of Ridley and Roidley?

Please?​

Weavel

Smash Ace
The villain trailer should show all the villains having a sleep over and in their pajamas! !! :3

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
That'd be Hakumen from BlazBlue.

"I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword. With blade in hand shall I reap the sins of this world and cleanse it in the fires of destruction. I am Hakumen. The end has come!"

Google is such a nice thing!
Sounds and looks more like a villain...Yeah, Google is a good thing.

Found Dogley:

No animations found for now. I will Ridleify Dogley to have darker textures and Ridley's beak or at least something close to it.
Can I have a rotating gif of that thing out of Hell like the ones of Ridley and Roidley?

Please?​
Sure. Should i remove tongue and close its mouth? Just remove tongue?

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Sounds and looks more like a villain...Yeah, Google is a good thing.

Found Dogley:

No animations found for now.

Sure. Should i remove tongue and close its mouth? Just remove tongue?
:D THANKS~! Hmm....I don't know, maybe without the tongue. oh, so that's what you meant by "Dogley"..I only have heard the nickname "El Pollo Loco"..it means "The Crazy Chicken"....can I have one of that thing too??? OuO

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
:D THANKS~! Hmm....I don't know, maybe without the tongue. oh, so that's what you meant by "Dogley"..I only have heard the nickname "El Pollo Loco"..it means "The Crazy Chicken"....can I have one of that thing too??? OuO
Then it will be ready in few minutes.
His tongue is sticking out entire time and just look at his boss battle. That is why i call him Dogley. And yes, you can have it.

I found one of our supporters:

All of you must look like either that or our commander. Or else you are traitor and must be promptly shot at least close to that.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Then it will be ready in few minutes.
His tongue is sticking out entire time and just look at his boss battle. That is why i call him Dogley. And yes, you can have it
:D YAY! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I wish I could give you one of my translucent Ridley coasters....

10565181_664111600337079_2729172067664302845_n - Copy.jpg

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Ridley is too lanky. Even if he's scaled down to the point where he's not too big but not senselessly small, if he stretches out his extremities he'll take up a ton of screen real estate. If he's hunched down in an idle stance like most of your example pictures, fine, but once he starts clawing and flapping about he'll be like one of those expanding framework sphere toys: then he'll be inescapably too big.

Change my mind.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Ridley is too lanky. Even if he's scaled down to the point where he's not too big but not senselessly small, if he stretches out his extremities he'll take up a ton of screen real estate. If he's hunched down in an idle stance like most of your example pictures, fine, but once he starts clawing and flapping about he'll be like one of those expanding framework sphere toys: then he'll be inescapably too big.

Change my mind.
Other M exists, try again.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Change my mind.
Roidley. He is bulky version of Ridley while still being skinny. Just look at him. Happy?
EDIT: kinda Ninja'd. By the way, in Other M, Zebesians in tutorial can walk/crawl on ceiling. So, they are space ninja pirates?

You know, maybe Sakurai actually reads this thread and when we all predict date for direct, he quickly tells other guys to move direct to another date. Just to troll. And laugh.
:D YAY! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I wish I could give you one of my translucent Ridley coasters....

View attachment 21861
Looks nice. Like something you get for an archievement, but real. And Ridley. Ridley Real.

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
its already the 17th, i think we can forget about anything on the 20th, otherwise we'd have gotten some kinda news about it by now, dont you think?

if its in the form of a PotD, then i cant imagine the news being any good... it'll either be a deconfirmation or even more teasing...

Top Bottom