• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

Oh, the version of the interview I read used the word planned. I know the difference. You got the general idea of the post, though.

Blame them, not me! :cry:
I can't blame you, don't worry.

As for the third Metroid rep(after Ridley of course), I think Dark Samus would be possible, but I can't imagine how it would be the reactions: "What, three Samus? We don't need more clones!"

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Wait, he GRABS Pikachu, then dashes off with him?
...This is new.
Pikachu does not cast a shadow in the clip, what seems like Ridley holding it with his talons could be his own distorted shadow.

Sidenote: How convenient is that Pikachu doesn't have a shadow. It makes impossible to do an direct size comparison. I swear, Sakurai thought of everything...

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice
@ BeakyBird BeakyBird
Alright, if you actually are a spy, it doesn't even matter anymore, that post alone is already more of a benefit to this thread than any infiltration could damage. Those are all points I've been trying to emphasize for the last year+. Basically since the pyrosphere reveal last whenever. You've put it together so aptly that I'm just going to quote it at people who start getting too heated in argument here instead of re-writing it in a different less elegant way each time like I keep doing.
Maybe I'm a double agent. Or a triple agent. Or like... a quadruple agent.

I'd report directly to Sakurai. "Sir, the Ridley Menace is growing at an alarming rate. If left unchecked... but sir, there is hope. I've learned of something that they call... 'water'... perhaps this is our answer to quell the Ridley Revolution."
But it's okay because meanwhile I've been working on a method to reverse engineer the strange liquid. Because...
IT WAS ME. I WAS RIDLEY THE WHOLE TIME.
Maybe.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Wait, he GRABS Pikachu, then dashes off with him?
...This is new.
Er, all I saw was Ridley flapping his wings.
I mean, at the end the wings went bloody everywhere. I'm not sure what you can deduct from that other than the fact that Ridley has wings and that he can move them.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Maybe I'm a double agent. Or a triple agent. Or like... a quadruple agent.

I'd report directly to Sakurai. "Sir, the Ridley Menace is growing at an alarming rate. If left unchecked... but sir, there is hope. I've learned of something that they call... 'water'... perhaps this is our answer to quell the Ridley Revolution."
But it's okay because meanwhile I've been working on a method to reverse engineer the strange liquid. Because...
IT WAS ME. I WAS RIDLEY THE WHOLE TIME.
Maybe.
Ok, this is getting ridiculous. Time for you to unmask, once and for all

Well, I give up. You win. I guess you maybe really were Ridley the whole time.

I'd say if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, but I was already a space pirate. So I guess that means now I have to be maybe a space pirate.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I actually would perfer Trace over Sylux, but of course the floating red alien thing gets backlashed in favor of a cyborg human thing...

Aside from that, I'll be getting Sm4sh with or without Ridley. Too many goodies for me to pass up.
Only reason I said Sylux is because of his hatred of the Galactic Federation could play a huge role on the story. I can see him being a boss, maybe a main villain.

If I had it my way, all of the Prime Hunters would return at a later date (especially Trace, Sylux, and Kanden) in another Metroid game. They have so much potential in their characters.

I can't blame you, don't worry.

As for the third Metroid rep(after Ridley of course), I think Dark Samus would be possible, but I can't imagine how it would be the reactions: "What, three Samus? We don't need more clones!"
As I said a few pages back, I don't think Dark Samus is likely because its silhouette and Samus's look a lot alike. I wish Dark Samus was a character, though, mostly so that we can get a Hunter as an Assist Trophy. Sorry, my bias is showing through again.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Er, all I saw was Ridley flapping his wings.
I mean, at the end the wings went bloody everywhere. I'm not sure what you can deduct from that other than the fact that Ridley has wings and that he can move them.
This. I don't think Ridley picks up Pikachu at all.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
He's not that fast. I wouldn't say he's dash-speed. At the very least, he's too slow for a good boss.

Edit: Wait, I thought it was found that Ridley didn't grab Pikachu?
On the contrary, he dashes to the middle of the stage and then "walks" (tilting the control stick slightly) offscreen. There also are different animations for every character in the game for their walking and running animations. This is to make us believe he's a slow, horrible boss hazard when he looks more like a user-controlled character. Rewatch if you don't believe me. I didn't notice this the first few times I saw it, but now? Anything's possible.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
Well technically Dark Samus is also known as Metroid Prime even though we no longer see it in its creature form after beating it in the first game. So Sakurai can intentionally call him Metroid Prime if he wanted and give it new powers based on the series. If Ridley gets revealed... I might just support Dark Samus for the next sequel if he ever decides to do it again.

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
On the contrary, he dashes to the middle of the stage and then "walks" (tilting the control stick slightly) offscreen. There also are different animations for every character in the game for their walking and running animations. This is to make us believe he's a slow, horrible boss hazard when he looks more like a user-controlled character. Rewatch if you don't believe me. I didn't notice this the first few times I saw it, but now? Anything's possible.
I can't see it... all I see is him moving same speed to the center, and then same speed off. Of course, I could just not be looking hard enough, so... I'll leave this up to everyone else. *Goes back to lurking*

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Let's use another analogy. Do you think it would be productive to take someone seriously if they decide to write a book about Australians despite not being or never having lived with Australians? Where their only exposure to Australian culture is through movies?
Dude, most people who are on this site are very good at playing this game, and are able to see balancing stuff, why are you being so snobbish on the fact none of us have worked on game design other than you?

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
They could give him a non-canon eye laser attack. That'd throw everyone in for a loop.
Well the robot Ridley in Zero Mission had an eye laser move if you count that. Wouldn't be opposed to it though as a minor surprise move.

Why do so many try to bring Gematsu back to live I don't understand? It's not even as if Chrom is his first **** up. He also said 6 newcomers at E3. Not to mention his cocky self-assured ''Enjoy my good friend Shulk" before the FE reveals.

It's dead. It was obviously Robin vs Chrom. They picked Robin. And the trailer is an in-joke for them to this.

He didn't have outdated information. He had some information and he filled in the rest with obvious choices and one of those obvious choices bit him in the ***@Chrom.
Things like the cocky quote there about Shulk is why it irks me that people still try to keep Gematsu alive despite it getting knocked off its high horse, and rightfully so. I don't think it's a stretch though to say it was real but had outdated info (personally believe it to be the case), but come on people. Chrom wasn't the only screwup.

It's definitely a good theory. I could see it happening. I personally think Ridley is just a hidden character. We'll know in a month or two.

I'm honestly worried at this point that Sakurai just doesn't think Metroid deserves the rep. Other M is getting older, and it wasn't well received. Why must Nintendo shun Metroid :(
I wouldn't worry about it as far as the Other M part goes. Sakurai obviously liked it with how much content of it he included in the game. If he doesn't think Metroid deserves another character, it won't be because of that game, I assure you. lol

Well I guess I didn't miss much else from the last.. however many pages. Thought about replying to some of the other stuff but it was mostly part of a past argument that's been recycled to death anyway. >.>

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I can't see it... all I see is him moving same speed to the center, and then same speed off. Of course, I could just not be looking hard enough, so... I'll leave this up to everyone else. *Goes back to lurking*

At 1:08, he jumps back towards the middle of the stage (just before it fades to the trophy quiz). He also possibly jumped when you first see his shadow, but that was the hardest thing I've been able to see. His idle animation is flapping his wings, and an easy way to counter his all aerial game would be to meteor smash him to the ground and get the hits in while he's recovering. Perhaps he doesn't grab Pikachu, but either way, I think this means he's not a boss. No boss jumps twice without hitting the ground OR lashing out with an attack also.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well technically Dark Samus is also known as Metroid Prime even though we no longer see it in its creature form after beating it in the first game. So Sakurai can intentionally call him Metroid Prime if he wanted and give it new powers based on the series. If Ridley gets revealed... I might just support Dark Samus for the next sequel if he ever decides to do it again.
Yeah, I know, but people are calling Lucina being a clone a "disgrace to her character" when that is the most she can do.
After Ridley, I'm going to start supporting Kraid just to see how many people bring size to it

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Me reading the Ridley thread on Monday and Tuesday.

Me reading the thread Wednesday night to now.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Pikachu does not cast a shadow in the clip, what seems like Ridley holding it with his talons could be his own distorted shadow.

Sidenote: How convenient is that Pikachu doesn't have a shadow. It makes impossible to do an direct size comparison. I swear, Sakurai thought of everything...
We DID see Pikachu's shadow! However, it was hidden from us, we got to see his shadow on the tip of his head

Nietona

Smash Journeyman

At 1:08, he jumps back towards the middle of the stage (just before it fades to the trophy quiz). He also possibly jumped when you first see his shadow, but that was the hardest thing I've been able to see. His idle animation is flapping his wings, and an easy way to counter his all aerial game would be to meteor smash him to the ground and get the hits in while he's recovering. Perhaps he doesn't grab Pikachu, but either way, I think this means he's not a boss. No boss jumps twice without hitting the ground OR lashing out with an attack also.
Huh... this made me think.

So... what if Ridley has two idle animations? I'll explain.

What if he has a "flight" mode (and before you go on at me about that, it's not what you think) and a grounded mode? His grounded mode is where he stands on the ground normally and walks probably on all fours, and his aerial mode (likely activated by down+B) is where he starts beating his wings and would be technically "in the air" over the stage? He can jump while in the air to gain altitude, but while in "in the air" mode, he's permanently hovering a select distance above the ground (although if he flies off the platform he's on and off an edge, he will keep falling), like the distance above Pyrosphere in the Direct. This allows for him to have aerial game while being in the air, yet not have ridiculous recovery. His "grounded" mode would only be good in specific situations, and his aerial game would be what you'd get the real damage from. Every time he's hit majorly (as in, not just a tiny flinch) or meteor smashed, it forces him down into grounded mode. When you go from flying mode into ground mode, it counts as a smash attack where he smashes down into the ground (a la Bowser's down+B).

It's... hard to explain! Do you understand what I'm getting at, though? A "mode change" gimmick similar to Izayoi in BlazBlue, if you've played that, but rather than activate charges, it lets Ridley hover above ground indefinitely.

Last edited:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340

What if he has a "flight" mode (and before you go on at me about that, it's not what you think) and a grounded mode? His grounded mode is where he stands on the ground normally and walks probably on all fours, and his aerial mode (likely activated by down+B) is where he starts beating his wings and would be technically "in the air" over the stage? He can jump while in the air to gain altitude, but while in "in the air" mode, he's permanently hovering a select distance above the ground (although if he flies off the platform he's on and off an edge, he will keep falling), like the distance above Pyrosphere in the Direct. This allows for him to have aerial game while being in the air, yet not have ridiculous recovery. His "grounded" mode would only be good in specific situations, and his aerial game would be what you'd get the real damage from. Every time he's hit majorly (as in, not just a tiny flinch) or meteor smashed, it forces him down into grounded mode. When you go from flying mode into ground mode, it counts as a smash attack where he smashes down into the ground (a la Bowser's down+B).

It's... hard to explain! Do you understand what I'm getting at, though? A "mode change" gimmick similar to Izayoi in BlazBlue, if you've played that, but rather than activate charges, it lets Ridley hover above ground indefinitely.
Whether he's aerial based or has this gimmick, he has a unique moveset and a quality that no other Smash character has. This would be brilliant and would fix balancing issues too. I'm just glad I'm not the only person noticing these things so I'm not thinking I'm insane.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Can I just state an unpopular opinion here?
I like Other M.
Not because of the story (THE BABYYYY), but because the Gameplay feels nice to me.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
@ Con0rrrr Con0rrrr (Sorry if I didn't make fancy editing, I'm not good at that stuff)

Edit: Enjoy the conspiracy theory with the following music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIiX2FJbgD8

Pikachu Theory:

I think there are many pictures that seem way to over board to be plain coincidental pictures. Sakurai works with the illuminati and masons. We should know this, since he likes to troll. He secretly sends messages and teases us about upcoming new comers, but it's not that simple to uncover with out making connections.

In Pikachu's and Samus' profiles, each character has at least one in-game screen shot with each other in it:

The connection between these two characters are much deeper than you may think. Going through Super Smash Bros. Brawl's story mode "Subspace Emisssary", Samus is paired with Pikachu and they both eventually have to team up and fight Ridley.

According to a Nintendo Direct when Sakurai mentions that other bosses make appearances in other stages, Pikachu can be seen being followed by a Ridley's shadow:

But why use Pikachu? Do you think its a coincidence? I think not. Sakurai could easily be referencing to SSBB and the Rivalry match that PIkachu and Samus had with Ridley during Subspace Emissary. Pikachu saved Samus from Ridley... Seems very suspicious that Sakurai would particularly use Pikachu in that instance of narration. Although this doesn't make any explicit evidence that Ridley will be playable, it should give you second guesses about what Sakurai wants to tell us. We know for sure that Ridley will play a big role in this game in some fashion.​
I'm on mobile right now, but I'll try and update when I get home!

majora_787

Smash Hero
Can I just state an unpopular opinion here?
I like Other M.
Not because of the story (THE BABYYYY), but because the Gameplay feels nice to me.
That's basically why I enjoy Other M. I mean I'd be lying if I said I liked Metroid as a series or ANY game of it for the story. It's all about what I get to do and how it plays. Which is why people get mad when I tell them where I put it on my top metroid games nowadays. :troll: So I keep it away from the Ridley thread. I don't want people to cry or anything.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

I think I see what you're getting at. I have a reference as to what it is, albeit an awkward reference. The only connection I can make to this "flying mode" is

like what Spyro was able to do in Skylanders. He was able to fly as one of his moves. Mostly it changed his height and hitbox, but it also changed the way he attacked and moved.

Yeah, sorry to reference that, but it's the best I can find as a reference to what you're saying. If you never played Skylanders, then you probably won't get what I'm talking about, so I hope that picture helps.

Ground vs Air Fireball:

Attacks were given a slight arc downward while flying. Take from it what you will.

Ground vs Air Idle:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Granted, it will be another shadow tease on Pryosphere :troll: I wouldn't put it above Sakurai to pull such a move. He seems to relish the Ridley insanity at this point.
Yeah at this point the main reason I think Ridley's not getting revealed in August is because Sakurai wants to ride the troll train to the moon and back.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I think I see what you're getting at. I have a reference as to what it is, albeit an awkward reference. The only connection I can make to this "flying mode" is

like what Spyro was able to do in Skylanders. He was able to fly as one of his moves. Mostly it changed his height and hitbox, but it also changed the way he attacked and moved.

Yeah, sorry to reference that, but it's the best I can find as a reference to what you're saying. If you never played Skylanders, then you probably won't get what I'm talking about, so I hope that picture helps.

Ground vs Air Fireball:

Attacks were given a slight arc downward while flying. Take from it what you will.

Ground vs Air Idle:

This was exactly what I was getting at! A separate playstyle with more damaging moves, but is hard to stay in as anything more than a poke will knock you right back down. It'd make Ridley a character that either dominates the game or gets totally dominated too, depending on skill.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Ground vs Air Fireball:

Ground vs Air Idle:

Watch as Sakurai posts a trophy of Spyro on the day before Ridley's official reveal as a playable character.

People will be shipping those two from dusk till dawn. :denzel:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Granted, it will be another shadow tease on Pryosphere :troll: I wouldn't put it above Sakurai to pull such a move. He seems to relish the Ridley insanity at this point.
I can already imagine the madness that will be the trailer.
"RIDLEY is flying too dang high for the camera and as such won't be displayed in the gameplay footage!"

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
This was exactly what I was getting at! A separate playstyle with more damaging moves, but is hard to stay in as anything more than a poke will knock you right back down. It'd make Ridley a character that either dominates the game or gets totally dominated too, depending on skill.
Amazing! That'd make Ridley so diverse. Just a slight, hard to use gimmick that is like high-risk-high-reward for him. Maybe it's easier to knock him away while he's flying, and when he lands he's back on the ground?

If you give him a separate moveset while in the air (or even slight tweaks), you have to have something along these lines:

Forgive another Skylanders reference from me...

A slamming head smash into the ground, possibly a spike/meteor smash if hit in air. Hard to aim, probably.

Watch as Sakurai posts a trophy of Spyro on the day before Ridley's official reveal as a playable character.

People will be shipping those two from dusk till dawn. :denzel:
Honestly, a Spyro trophy wouldn't be that hard to imagine, as we already have a Rayman trophy. I can see it already. *calls Andrea*

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
If he does that again I'd consider that a full confirmation for Ridley. I mean come on, showing us a shadow of Ridley as a boss yet it's just hovering (instead of attacking) and then not following up with any screenshots or details? Pretty much confirmed.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I can already imagine the madness that will be the trailer.
"RIDLEY is flying too dang high for the camera and as such won't be displayed in the gameplay footage!"
Oh yeah! I forgot, you asked a few pages back about pre-Brawl, where you suggested that they had more going for Ridley pre-Brawl, or something? Could be someone else I'm thinking of, but still.

They had what looked like a Ridley head in the clouds, his theme remixed, and the stage Norfair, and that was it.

Amazing! That'd make Ridley so diverse. Just a slight, hard to use gimmick that is like high-risk-high-reward for him. Maybe it's easier to knock him away while he's flying, and when he lands he's back on the ground?

If you give him a separate moveset while in the air (or even slight tweaks), you have to have something along these lines:

Forgive another Skylanders reference from me...

A slamming head smash into the ground, possibly a spike/meteor smash if hit in air. Hard to aim, probably.

Honestly, a Spyro trophy wouldn't be that hard to imagine, as we already have a Rayman trophy. I can see it already. *calls Andrea*
Yeah! You're vulnerable going into flying state, but if you can get there you can deal some major damage. I might write a moveset around this...

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
After what Sakurai did to the Chrom supporters, I'm praying he goes easy on you guys.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Yeah! You're vulnerable going into flying state, but if you can get there you can deal some major damage. I might write a moveset around this...
You totally should. You need to.

Higher jumps in Flight Mode, but easier to K.O.: The ultimate HRHR character!

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
After what Sakurai did to the Chrom supporters, I'm praying he goes easy on you guys.
Compared to Chrom, Ridley has a goldmine of evidence pointed specifically at him, but if it does fall through, thank you for the thoughts.

You totally should. You need to.

Higher jumps in Flight Mode, but easier to K.O.: The ultimate HRHR character!
Gonna get on that now~

Top Bottom