• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
Ok, I'm done, hyping something just for him to be a boss IS false advertisement, why he didn't with Chrom? That would create false hope SOMETHING SAKURAI SAID HE DOESN'T WANT TO GIVE TO FANS, IF THERE IS A DECONFIRMATION, IT'S DIRECT AND RIGHT TO THE POINT, THE NOTION OF HYPING A BOSS TO KEEP DISCUSSION IS UTERLY STUPID!
I'm sorry, I tried to be polite, but if you can't bring actual evidence, then stop, I became a supporter because I realized how stupid the "arguments" against Ridley are stupid, if you have at least one brain cell, you're capable of doing so too
...and people wonder why I'm rude sometimes.

I don't know what Sakurai is thinking, geez. The guy is a nut, and it translates perfectly into SSB.

The real question is: Would you still buy the game if Ridley wasn't playable? Of course you would.

Last edited:

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
you're completely right !
In 2011 I was a toobigot/detractor but I wasn't rude and I listened to supporters' posts ... actualy I became a supporter after reading OasisS's first post in this thread
I wasn't a Ridley supporter until I started reading these boards(and this thread). Though I was neutral because I think smash needs more villains.

There are plenty of characters that I would greatly prefer didn't become playable in smash, but I would never be hateful to their supporters, because all in all, we are just arguing over something we have no control over, and if the character being in brings joy to others, then I'm okay with it.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I seriously doubt Sakurai would look at Ridley and say: "Ugh, how would that thing work? How can he be any different than Charizard? Metroid is fine with 2 Samus" while he looks at the likes of C. Falcon, Little Mac, ROB and WFT and say: "I can definitively make this character unique, I just need to use my brain". We are talking about the guy who made Little Mac unique, C. Falcon work, ROB also with an unique moveset and many others, he never dismissed a character because he thought it "wasn't suitable", he may have did it in Brawl, but look at Smash 4, Villager was impossible, Miis didn't look right and Pac-Man was too farfetched, people who think Ridley CAN'T be playable are doubting one of the greatest video game designers in history
Something to add to that;
WII.
FIT.
TRAINER.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
I had a theory about Ridley.
Maybe he's a boss, but beating him 10 times as Samus unlocks the "Challenger Approaching Screen". Beating him then unlocks him as a character and the boss fight permanently becomes Meta Ridley.
The only problem with that I think is that Pyrosphere isn't 3DS confirmed, but then again no Metroid Stage is at the moment.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
"Ridley can't work, sakurai couldn't make his moveset, weight, mechanics, etc."
Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Mr. Game and Watch, Pac-Man.
All these detractors lately. Funny thing is, they only really appear on the Ridley thread. I wonder why.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
I wasn't a Ridley supporter until I started reading these boards(and this thread). Though I was neutral because I think smash needs more villains.

There are plenty of characters that I would greatly prefer didn't become playable in smash, but I would never be hateful to their supporters, because all in all, we are just arguing over something we have no control over, and if the character being in brings joy to others, then I'm okay with it.
This is exacylt what I think.
Before Little Mac was confirmed I didn't want him because I didn't like Punch Out and because I couldn't imagine a good moveset for him, but I NEVER ATTACKED HIS FANS.
The same thing happened with Bowser Jr's fans, even if they were quite rude with Waluigi's fans like me.

EDIT:
btw after his trailer Little Mac became one of my favourite confirmed newcomers.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What if Ridley and Meta Ridley were both characters in the game.

WOULD CLONE DETRACTORS who are RIDLEY SUPPORTERS just Implode?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Do they have to strip him of his speed and agility, though? Granted, he probably shouldn't fly fast enough to keep pace with the Falcon Flyer like he did in Brawl, but he's fast in the Metroid games and you can still pelt him with laser beams or what have you. I get what you're saying, but I'm sure you agree that the compromises from 'boss in Metroid to boss in Smash' are minimal compared to 'boss in Metroid to playable in Smash'.

The core point I was making is that it's important a character properly represents elements from the series they originate from. Kirby's official size is mostly irrelevant because he still acts like he does in the Kirby games. He's also a sphere, and spheres are very good at being rescaled. He doesn't have any lanky limbs that look strange in comparison to his 'usual' size. Mewtwo uses elements from the Pokemon games and his animated appearances. Palutena is a general representative of Kid Icarus Uprising and uses goddess powers from that game. It's not about their power compared to characters from the Mario or Donkey Kong series, it's that no real radical changes needed to be made to accomodate their inclusion. They all translated pretty well into the game.

I don't know how Sakurai feels about Ridley, but I do know that it's been three SSB games in which he's neglected to include Metroid's #2. I do know that he gave Ridley a large role as a boss in Brawl. I do know that Ridley will appear on Pyrosphere in SSB4 and (given the circumstances of his "reveal") I don't think it's outlandish to assume that he'll be a boss, at least in that incarnation. I don't need to see inside Sakurai's head to make educated guesses at how he might view the character.

It's not about exactitude, it's about the feel. Pac-Man looks to be exceptionally reminiscient of the Pac-Man series as a whole, incorporating elements from both the arcade title and later games. The Ridley fights in Brawl felt pretty close to how I would imagine Ridley vs Pikachu & friends might go down. It's not about replicating every single detail of a character, it's about providing a good representation.
And they can do that with playable Ridley without making him a bossfight just like bowser, Kingdedede and fanondorf. Also, I love your avatar. It matches your username perfectly.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman

hmm..... that is a bizarre predicament. How did star fox supporters react to Falco and/or Wolf?
Id imagine it would be similar.

I would be thrilled though.

D

Deleted member

I would still buy the game if Ridley wasn't on it, but if he's teasing just a boss, I'm not going to, it creates false hope, something Sakurai doesn't want, that's why we got a direct confirmation of Chrom's role after the trailer, it would feel like a backstabbing from Sakurai to tease him for a stupid boss, if I wanted to battle Ridley as a boss, I would play Super Metroid, because if that's a boss, it's terrible

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
"Ridley can't work, sakurai couldn't make his moveset, weight, mechanics, etc."
Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Mr. Game and Watch, Pac-Man, CAPTAIN FALCON, DOCTOR MARIO, PEACH, ZELDA, PIT, ICE CLIMBERS, ROB, OLIMAR, LITTLE MAC, MII FIGHTERS and ZERO SUIT SAMUS
All these detractors lately. Funny thing is, they only really appear on the Ridley thread. I wonder why.
@ LarsINTJ LarsINTJ , I fixed it too
Anyway if you don't want Ridley being playable, well ... fine ... but stop being rude with his supporters.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
We must keep Ridley canon, because no other character functions in a different way than in their own games. Lets ignore Fox, Ice Climbers, Ganondorf, Capt Falcon, Ike, Rosalina, Little Mac, Sheik, Zelda, Zero Suit Samus, because.
Some people can't comprehend that even though the fact is so clear.
Really..

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
@ LarsINTJ LarsINTJ , I fixed it too
Anyway if you don't want Ridley being playable, well ... fine ... but stop being rude with his supporters.
Sorry for whiteknighting here or whatever that might be, but he isn't being snarky because he doesn't want Ridley to be playable.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
...Remember that Video Shokio made of showing Ridley's Shadow, then a Pyrosphere stage from A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FIGHTING GAME, and used that as evidence that Ridley isn't playable?
Me too. He isn't very smart.

Last edited:

Mistermagius

Smash Cadet
...Um, wow. I leave for nearly a day and this thread rises a near 20 pages. O.o That's what to expect from such an active, lively thread xD

...So what happened here..? ó3ò'

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
meaning you can study it without doing it for a living, therefor people can have valid opinions on how things work without doing it professionaly, if at all, which was all he was trying to say.
Let's use another analogy. Do you think it would be productive to take someone seriously if they decide to write a book about Australians despite not being or never having lived with Australians? Where their only exposure to Australian culture is through movies?

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
If Ridley is going to be resized, he's going to be resized. Nothing we can really do about it. Doesn't matter if it would look 'dumb' or 'heresey to the canon' or whatever. If Sakurai wants to do it, then he'll freaking do it. Whether or not you find it weird is up to you.

Point: Size isn't going to stop Ridley. Whether or not Sakurai is willing to resize Ridley and make him work will.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
...Um, wow. I leave for nearly a day and this thread rises a near 20 pages. O.o That's what to expect from such an active, lively thread xD

...So what happened here..? ó3ò'
Pikachu, more haters, a bit of Trainwreck GIFS and Ridley Size comparions.
Y'know, the usual.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Sorry for whiteknighting here or whatever that might be, but he isn't being snarky because he doesn't want Ridley to be playable.
this is just an example

(Ridley fandom unite! Magically put a perfect playable Ridley into the game through the mystical energies of liking each other's posts and hating the detractors!)
I hate when someone says things like this about Ridley's supporters.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Let's use another analogy. Do you think it would be productive to take someone seriously if they decide to write a book about Australians despite not being or never having lived with Australians? Where their only exposure to Australian culture is through movies?
What does this have to do with what we were talking about? We were talking about whether non game developers can have valid opinions about game developement or not, and now you're talking about writing stories about a subject you don't know about. Are you implying that people here know how to develope games, but just not fighting games? I don't follow.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion

Playable Roidley and playable Super Metroid Ridley as separate chars on the roster... What I'd pay to see that happen.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Playable Roidley and playable Super Metroid Ridley as separate chars on the roster... What I'd pay to see that happen.
It would be even better if the announcer differenciated between the two by actually calling clone Ridley "Roidley".

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I fully understand your desire to keep things civil, it's just annoying when people don't bother to comprehend posts beyond a statement or two. What you interpret as rude is typically my response to passive-aggression... or overt aggression.

As for Ridley, nothing against him being a playable character, I just highly doubt whether it can executed in a stable and satisfactory manner. Not that it's impossible.
I'm glad you're willing to stay civil.

The thing is, this is the Ridley thread. That means everyone who thinks Ridley is going to come here. It doesn't mean everyone who doesn't think Ridley is gonna come here. So there's going to be an imbalance of opinions.

So are we going to have an overabundance of people here who assume Ridley is 100% playable? Yeah. I'm not saying it's right, but it won't change. It's only a few months until we know for sure, anyways.

I'm just to keep this thread from getting locked. Flaming is one of the quickest ways to make that happen. I would appreciate it if you were careful with your wording, as to not make arguments needlessly turn into flaming.

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
What does this have to do with what we were talking about. We were talking about whether non game developers can have valid opinions about game developement or not, and now you're talking about writing stories about a subject you don't know about. Are you implying that people here know how to develope games, but just not fighting games? I don't follow.
Even if we grant that people may acquire some understanding while retaining amateur status, the validity of their opinions concerning professional decisions is still quite limited. Yeah, I accept that about myself too.

Last edited:

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
anyway, to stop the "too big" arguement here you are

and also the "Smash Bros series does NOT always stay true to scale" -Masahiro Sakurai

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Before I start this, I want to say that I a terrible artist on paper.

So I'm out of the house right now (without my computer; using my phone), and I was bored, so I attempted to make a size comparison for Ridley. I'll redo it with actual artwork when I get home, but for now, please excuse my horrible drawing. (It was worse than what's in the picture, which is why I cut out Ganondorf). I didn't have reference images, so yeah.

You get the idea, I'll redo it when I get home. I just wanted to get this part out there.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
I made a account only to join this conversation because i love ridley but i want to ask and say some things
first about the ridley we saw in the dierekt
could it be that he is an assist trophy and he can show up every second?
then do you realize that on pyroshphere is this hole the hole the CLONED ridley made to escape would mean that the fight with him is already over what would mean that he would not apear there again.
and finaly even if there is other m ridley a boss character why not give us the much better looking prime 3 ridley he is more popular and he have more possibel moves and we got prime 3 dark samus i think this would make total sense so sakurai can come and say
here is ridley cloned alter ego
after a couple of seconds or minutes he shows us after i dont know every game who lacks in villains or something a villain trailer
would makes perfekt sense

ps i apologize for my bad english but i am german and my english grades are very bad :D

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
guys I've just watched some youtube videos about Ridley and I read some comments.
Now I'm more than angry :mad:
THEY CALLED US DELUSIONAL, PATETIC PEOPLE, THE SSB CANCER AND SO ON !!!!
it is just a videogame ... and we just want a character being playable (not an impossible one like Goku) ...

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
anyway, to stop the "too big" arguement here you are

and also the "Smash Bros series does NOT always stay true to scale" -Masahiro Sakurai

Sorry, but that alone isn't going to stop the toobigots. Believe me, I've tried (written three size rants).

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
...and people wonder why I'm rude sometimes.

I don't know what Sakurai is thinking, geez. The guy is a nut, and it translates perfectly into SSB.

The real question is: Would you still buy the game is Ridley wasn't playable? Of course you would.
I wouldn't

D

Deleted member

I made a account only to join this conversation because i love ridley but i want to ask and say some things
first about the ridley we saw in the dierekt
could it be that he is an assist trophy and he can show up every second?
then do you realize that on pyroshphere is this hole the hole the CLONED ridley made to escape would mean that the fight with him is already over what would mean that he would not apear there again.
and finaly even if there is other m ridley a boss character why not give us the much better looking prime 3 ridley he is more popular and he have more possibel moves and we got prime 3 dark samus i think this would make total sense so sakurai can come and say
here is ridley cloned alter ego
after a couple of seconds or minutes he shows us after i dont know every game who lacks in villains or something a villain trailer
would makes perfekt sense

ps i apologize for my bad english but i am german and my english grades are very bad :D
There isn't much reason to believe he's an Assist, I don't think the most popular is Prime 3 Ridley, Super Metroid is the most popular game, so I guess that one is the most popular, any other questions are on the second post of the first page.
While you read it, have a glass of water

Top Bottom