• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
We must keep Ridley canon, because no other character functions in a different way than in their own games. Lets ignore Fox, Ice Climbers, Ganondorf, Capt Falcon, Ike, Rosalina, Little Mac, Sheik, Zelda, Zero Suit Samus, because.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
@Con0rrrr (Sorry if I didn't make fancy editing, I'm not good at that stuff)

Edit: Enjoy the conspiracy theory with the following music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIiX2FJbgD8

Pikachu Theory:

I think there are many pictures that seem way to over board to be plain coincidental pictures. Sakurai works with the illuminati and masons. We should know this, since he likes to troll. He secretly sends messages and teases us about upcoming new comers, but it's not that simple to uncover with out making connections.

In Pikachu's and Samus' profiles, each character has at least one in-game screen shot with each other in it:

The connection between these two characters are much deeper than you may think. Going through Super Smash Bros. Brawl's story mode "Subspace Emisssary", Samus is paired with Pikachu and they both eventually have to team up and fight Ridley.

According to a Nintendo Direct when Sakurai mentions that other bosses make appearances in other stages, Pikachu can be seen being followed by a Ridley's shadow:

But why use Pikachu? Do you think its a coincidence? I think not. Sakurai could easily be referencing to SSBB and the Rivalry match that PIkachu and Samus had with Ridley during Subspace Emissary. Pikachu saved Samus from Ridley... Seems very suspicious that Sakurai would particularly use Pikachu in that instance of narration. Although this doesn't make any explicit evidence that Ridley will be playable, it should give you second guesses about what Sakurai wants to tell us. We know for sure that Ridley will play a big role in this game in some fashion.​
Sorry to divert from what you're trying to say, but holy crap! There is no sound in the Pyrosphere clip! When I first watched the Direct, I somehow imagined that I heard Ridley's Brawl roar as soon as his shadow appeared. But nope, we hear nothing but Mega Man music. Has this instance occurred anywhere else?

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I just had a good idea for Ridley's gimmick!
How about a flight meter? It is displayed above the players percentage like little macs power meter and works similarly.
The bar will decrease while Ridley keeps himself in the air and builds up while he is grounded, but will also gain meter when Ridley lands attacks from the sky.
Could work, but in my mind it distracts from the combat, more than Lil' Mac's meter. I could be wrong though.
Besides, after playing with Ridley for a reasonable amount of time you could easily estimate the amount of flight time you have left.

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
I just had a good idea for Ridley's gimmick!
How about a flight meter? It is displayed above the players percentage like little macs power meter and works similarly.
The bar will decrease while Ridley keeps himself in the air and builds up while he is grounded, but will also gain meter when Ridley lands attacks from the sky.
This is actually a pretty good idea. If Ridley does have some sort of long flight ability I expect him to have a meter or something to tell how long he can fly for.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
@Con0rrrr (Sorry if I didn't make fancy editing, I'm not good at that stuff)

Edit: Enjoy the conspiracy theory with the following music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIiX2FJbgD8

Pikachu Theory:

I think there are many pictures that seem way to over board to be plain coincidental pictures. Sakurai works with the illuminati and masons. We should know this, since he likes to troll. He secretly sends messages and teases us about upcoming new comers, but it's not that simple to uncover with out making connections.

In Pikachu's and Samus' profiles, each character has at least one in-game screen shot with each other in it:

The connection between these two characters are much deeper than you may think. Going through Super Smash Bros. Brawl's story mode "Subspace Emisssary", Samus is paired with Pikachu and they both eventually have to team up and fight Ridley.

According to a Nintendo Direct when Sakurai mentions that other bosses make appearances in other stages, Pikachu can be seen being followed by a Ridley's shadow:

But why use Pikachu? Do you think its a coincidence? I think not. Sakurai could easily be referencing to SSBB and the Rivalry match that PIkachu and Samus had with Ridley during Subspace Emissary. Pikachu saved Samus from Ridley... Seems very suspicious that Sakurai would particularly use Pikachu in that instance of narration. Although this doesn't make any explicit evidence that Ridley will be playable, it should give you second guesses about what Sakurai wants to tell us. We know for sure that Ridley will play a big role in this game in some fashion.​
I prefer this music when browsing the thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=yCd7XMkudfg

Back to being serious:
Ridley could be stalking Pikachu for defeating him. I have a feeling there's more to this, we just need to dig deeper.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
(Ridley fandom unite! Magically put a perfect playable Ridley into the game through the mystical energies of liking each other's post and hating the detractors!)

You guys continue to act as if size is a long-resolved issue just because you think some fan renders look nice. Size is only the root of the problem. Try drafting a design for Ridley which is consistent with his canon appearances:

- Larger than all the other fighters
- Slow, yet capable of swift sudden movements and mid-air maneuvers
- Heavy
- Most attacks hit hard
- Large attack range (tail, fireballs, general size)
- Wing-based recovery

Yeah, that will work...
How much are you willing to change before it's no longer Ridley?

Also, Phaazoid, we're obviously using different definitions in our language, so it would be pretty pointless to continue arguing about nothing... although the same thing could be said about this entire thread.
See, here's my problem. Half of the things you 'claim' to be core parts of Ridley don't actually have anything to do with him. Why does he have to be slow or heavy? Why do most of his attacks have to hit hard? The 'strength' of the characters attacks in games have almost never translated over directly. Bowser has several moves that don't deal massive damage, and Ike's slow but powerful build doesn't actually come from his games, where he was originally decently quick.

There has to be a largest character. I don't see how that is avoidable. I don't even see why there's an arbitrary 'size' limit on the roster; it's not like being bigger is necessarily better. Even when concerned with that, Ridley just has to be at least slightly taller than Samus to fit in nicely; Bowser already does this, so Ridley could be slightly bigger than Bowser.

I don't even know why you are saying he has to be "slow". He's not, it's not a part of his identity. Same with weight; there's no point in a Metroid game where how much he weighs is relevant. I already addressed most attacks hit hard. So.... Wing-Based recovery and Large Attack Range? Well, YMMV on the attack range, but I think if he was given a weight/fall speed/size that allows for easy combos and was fairly easy to knock out, then having a long attack range could be a strength of his. He does get to have those after all.

Wing-based recovery seems pretty easy to me; it's an up-b or he gets multiple jumps? I mean, winged characters aren't exactly new. Hell, light winged characters with surprising speed, range, and power aren't new. (Meta Knight). MK's weakness was that he didn't have a projectile that Ridley easily could, but Ridley's projectile could be weak or useless at keep away, or be on a limited resource like Bowser's Fire Breath.

I think a really good question to ask is 'what makes Ridley... Ridley?' What makes him so special and unique that he's worth the undoubtably considerable effort? I don't know; I haven't played all of the games he is in. I played the Prime games and Super Metroid and that's basically it. He was a badass boss in Prime 1, but I would have rather seen Dark Samus as playable. I think he's cool, but I legitimately do not understand what, exactly, makes him so valuable and interesting.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Could work, but in my mind it distracts from the combat, more than Lil' Mac's meter. I could be wrong though.
Besides, after playing with Ridley for a reasonable amount of time you could easily estimate the amount of flight time you have left.
He could have a visual effect on his own character model like Samus/DK have, say his wings glow in a Green->Yellow->Red fashion.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Has anyone ever compared Rildey to Firebrand?

A video of him in action

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yeah, this thread was always one of the most popular around here, but it seems after Robin and Lucina's reveal it got even more posters. I wonder if its because the Gematsu leak lost a lot of its credibility and people (detractors) are finally realizing Ridley is most likely playable in the game?
Even though it's flawed logic (since gematsu never impacted ridley all that much), I can still easily see that as a reason for more people to come here, yeah. A loooot of people enjoyed talking gematsu, and with it having taken such a beating, they need another den of controversial discussion. a big den.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
We must keep Ridley canon, because no other character functions in a different way than in their own games. Lets ignore Fox, Ice Climbers, Ganondorf, Capt Falcon, Ike, Rosalina, Little Mac, Sheik, Zelda, Zero Suit Samus, because.
Pikachu, Pichu, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Mii Fighter, Luigi, Wario, too. You can't forget them.

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
Does that make the hostility right? No. But does it make it a wise choice to come in when you have an opinion that can't be changed to argue against people that have opinions that can't be changed? Absolutely not
One problem: opinions can always be changed. I'm constantly inviting others to change my opinion, but all I get is amusing defensive backlash.

By the way, if anyone thinks I'm condescending and obnoxious, what did you expect from a guy labeling himself 'INTJ'?

Last edited:

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
On the subject of how a flight gimmick could work for Ridley. How would infinite hovering while over a platform work? Say it works that he can stay in the air as long as he wants, as long as it's inside the limits of a platform, with moving beyond the platforms meaning you become victim to gravity like everybody else. Maybe it could work, maybe not, I don't know. Just an interesting possibility I wanted to bring up.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
One problem: opinions can always be changed. I'm constantly inviting others to change my opinion, but all I get is amusing defensive backlash.

By the way, if anyone thinks I'm condescending and obnoxious, what did you expect from a guy labeling himself 'INTJ'?
I expect somebody to compose himself and treat others respectfully regardless of what his Myers-Briggs (which I would not have immediately thought of from intj in your name alone) square is.

I'm not defending everyone who responded to you. I apologize on their behalf, there are always some here quick to the trigger on any detractor, no matter how logical. But it still doesn't excuse being rude, and that'll just cause the hate to bounce back and forth more anyways.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
On the subject of how a flight gimmick could work for Ridley. How would infinite hovering while over a platform work? Say it works that he can stay in the air as long as he wants, as long as it's inside the limits of a platform, with moving beyond the platforms meaning you become victim to gravity like everybody else. Maybe it could work, maybe not, I don't know. Just an interesting possibility I wanted to bring up.
Reposts ahoy!

Nietona

Smash Journeyman

That's true, but in the face of everything, it's highly likely (I'd bet everything I own) that no matter what argument you use, people here aren't going to abandon Ridley. It might decrease certain peoples' morale and shake their beliefs temporarily if you use certain arguments (like the "Metroid may be seen as not deserving another rep" possibility), but I just don't see anyone actually defecting and starting to believe that Ridley absolutely and definitely isn't playable for it, nor that he shouldn't be playable. In light of that, arguments that start here are pretty unnecessary and we may as well wait for the final product so one side can be shown to be right in what they were saying.

As for the amusing and defensive backlash, if that's part of the reason why you're here, I'll just ask politely. Please leave. It's not helping anything in the long run if that's a reason for you staying. I appreciate that you're inviting people to change your opinion, and the majority of our arguments are in the second post; while I may be shaken by detractors and may be glad to be shaken every so often (overconfidence ain't good, look what happened to the Chrom supporters), I can safely say I'll never not believe in Ridley. The fact that Sakurai hyping him up to be a boss is ridiculous is what makes me think he's probably going to be playable, and other than that I believe he absolutely deserves to be playable, and I don't think I'll ever stray from that.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
That's true, but in the face of everything, it's highly likely (I'd bet everything I own) that no matter what argument you use, people here aren't going to abandon Ridley. It might decrease certain peoples' morale and shake their beliefs temporarily if you use certain arguments (like the "Metroid may be seen as not deserving another rep" possibility), but I just don't see anyone actually defecting and starting to believe that Ridley absolutely and definitely isn't playable for it, nor that he shouldn't be playable. In light of that, arguments that start here are pretty unnecessary and we may as well wait for the final product so one side can be shown to be right in what they were saying.

As for the amusing and defensive backlash, if that's part of the reason why you're here, I'll just ask politely. Please leave. It's not helping anything in the long run if that's a reason for you staying. I appreciate that you're inviting people to change your opinion, and the majority of our arguments are in the second post; while I may be shaken by detractors and may be glad to be shaken every so often (overconfidence ain't good, look what happened to the Chrom supporters), I can safely say I'll never not believe in Ridley. The fact that Sakurai hyping him up to be a boss is ridiculous is what makes me think he's probably going to be playable, and other than that I believe he absolutely deserves to be playable, and I don't think I'll ever stray from that.

You gotta fight, for your right, to Riiiiiiiiiidley!

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
I expect somebody to compose himself and treat others respectfully regardless of what his Myers-Briggs (which I would not have immediately thought of from intj in your name alone) square is.

I'm not defending everyone who responded to you. I apologize on their behalf, there are always some here quick to the trigger on any detractor, no matter how logical. But it still doesn't excuse being rude, and that'll just cause the hate to bounce back and forth more anyways.
I fully understand your desire to keep things civil, it's just annoying when people don't bother to comprehend posts beyond a statement or two. What you interpret as rude is typically my response to passive-aggression... or overt aggression.

As for Ridley, nothing against him being a playable character, I just highly doubt whether it can executed in a stable and satisfactory manner. Not that it's impossible.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Sorry to divert from what you're trying to say, but holy crap! There is no sound in the Pyrosphere clip! When I first watched the Direct, I somehow imagined that I heard Ridley's Brawl roar as soon as his shadow appeared. But nope, we hear nothing but Mega Man music. Has this instance occurred anywhere else?
Personally, I can't recall any other piece of footage that had the sound removed like that. Though obviously there's a LOT of footage, so I can't be sure.

Though, do you think that this detail is significant in some way?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Personally, I can't recall any other piece of footage that had the sound removed like that. Though obviously there's a LOT of footage, so I can't be sure.

Though, do you think that this detail is significant in some way?
It's hard to say. Though it's POSSIBLE that the sound could be able to give some indication as to Ridley's status. I'm not sure how. It's hard to say.

it's just annoying when people don't bother to comprehend posts beyond a statement or two.
... :glare: You don't say.

Last edited:

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Oh Beastie Boys, how I love your music. Such a sad thing that MCA is no longer among the living.

We, as a fanbase, can only speculate on what Ridley will be like if he's in the game. Sakurai has his own interpretations of things, and will add and/or change things to fit them into Smash.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's hard to say. Though it's POSSIBLE that the sound could be able to give some indication as to Ridley's status. I'm not sure how. It's hard to say.
Perhaps a boss Ridley would be a bit louder than an ordinary character? Like, look at the part where Ridley flies to the center of the stage and stops. If he was a boss, it's likely that he may do something like roar while he's not doing anything. If he's playable, then he would probably just be silent while idling there.

Just a thought, I guess.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

For me, the most important point is that Ridley has been teased, but not deconfirmed as playable (unlike several other NPC's). This, combined with the fact that Sakurai stated he didn't want to disappoint fans by falsely hyping them up***, kind of seals the deal for me. I'm still iffy on the shadow analysis because I don't know if the size of the shadow could change depending on the altitude the character is at. If it doesn't change, well, that's awesome, we got a Ridley that might be somewhere around Bowser's size.

Now, the execution is a whole different matter. I'm afraid that will have to wait until we get to see more footage.

***Where is this from, btw? I kind of want source so I can say stuff while actually having concrete proof of things.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Perhaps a boss Ridley would be a bit louder than an ordinary character? Like, look at the part where Ridley flies to the center of the stage and stops. If he was a boss, it's likely that he may do something like roar while he's not doing anything. If he's playable, then he would probably just be silent while idling there.

Just a thought, I guess.
That, and possibly generic sound effects or something. Also we would be able to hear if Ridley actually does attack. I mean it's visually apparent that he most likely does not attack at all in 11 seconds which is already extremely unlike boss behavior we have already seen, but you never know.

D

Deleted member

What seals the deal dor me is Sakurai's weird way of acting, we got an official confirmation from Nintendo reps minutes after Monday's trailer that Chrom wasn't playable

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
guys I've just watched some youtube videos about Ridley and I read some comments.
Now I'm more than angry :mad:
THEY CALLED US DELUSIONAL, PATETIC PEOPLE, THE SSB CANCER AND SO ON !!!!
it is just a videogame ... and we just want a character being playable (not an impossible one like Goku) ...

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
guys I've just watched some youtube videos about Ridley and I read some comments.
it is just a videogame ... and we just want a character being playable (not an impossible one like Goku) ...
That's the kind of **** that gets to me. I'm fine with people coming here to discuss Ridley, whether they are for or against him, because this is the Ridley DISCUSSION thread. But calling someone a cancer is just plain disgusting, especially if its because of something as trivial as someone wanting a Nintendo character in a Nintendo crossover game.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Don't let it bother you. As a Robin supporter, I can assure that people calling you "delusional" is just them being unable to comprehend any possibility beyond what their narrow minds are willing to believe. Those people are just being illogical and flat out rude. Hopefully they'll realize how terribly wrong they are soon.

D

Deleted member

I already explained this. Being vague about Chrom would be to risk allegations of false advertising.
But Ridley wouldn't because he is the exception. No, it was pretty clear that he was part of Robin's FS, there was no need for it, but some people obviously didn't see Robin there, if it was so obvious that we're deluding ourselves, we would already have seen Ridley by now

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
You read the Youtube comments?
You fool! Why would you ever do that?

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
That's the kind of **** that gets to me. I'm fine with people coming here to discuss Ridley, whether they are for or against him, because this is the Ridley DISCUSSION thread. But calling someone a cancer is just plain disgusting, especially if its because of something as trivial as someone wanting a Nintendo character in a Nintendo crossover game.
you're completely right !
In 2011 I was a toobigot/detractor but I wasn't rude and I listened to supporters' posts ... actualy I became a supporter after reading OasisS's first post in this thread

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
But Ridley wouldn't because he is the exception. No, it was pretty clear that he was part of Robin's FS, there was no need for it, but some people obviously didn't see Robin there, if it was so obvious that we're deluding ourselves, we would already have seen Ridley by now
It is an effective marketing tactic in itself keeping Ridley's status unclear in order to spur this kind of hype/discussion.

They're legally able to do this with Ridley because a familiar-looking shadow is not the same as openly rubbing a fully-fledged model in our faces alongside bold text which suggests playability.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Right and it's also an effective marketing tactic to get hopes up just to crush them.
Well, like I said, that is exactly the kind of stuff Sakurai does not want to pull. According to a statement. Which I don't have with me at the moment. Bugger.

D

Deleted member

It is an effective marketing tactic in itself keeping Ridley's status unclear in order to spur this kind of hype/discussion.
Ok, I'm done, hyping something just for him to be a boss IS false advertisement, why he didn't with Chrom? That would create false hope SOMETHING SAKURAI SAID HE DOESN'T WANT TO GIVE TO FANS, IF THERE IS A DECONFIRMATION, IT'S DIRECT AND RIGHT TO THE POINT, THE NOTION OF HYPING A BOSS TO KEEP DISCUSSION IS UTERLY STUPID!
I'm sorry, I tried to be polite, but if you can't bring actual evidence, then stop, I became a supporter because I realized how stupid the "arguments" against Ridley are stupid, if you have at least one brain cell, you're capable of doing so too

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
You read the Youtube comments?
You fool! Why would you ever do that?
I'm masochist :awesome:

They're legally able to do this with Ridley because a familiar-looking shadow is not the same as openly rubbing a fully-fledged model in our faces alongside bold text which suggests playability.
If Ridley isn't playable an effective marketing tactic is DO NOT SHOW HIM AS A BOSS BEFORE THE GAME IS OUT & DO NOT TEASE HIM

Last edited:
Top Bottom