• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I wouldn't mind another Mother rep, but they'd have to cut Lucas for it imo. But I think in terms of franchise size and deserving a new rep, the two big current franchises on the board are Metroid and DK. As for DK, I hope for Krool, but I could see Sakurai pulling a lucina and throwing dixie in too. that'd be interesting

and honestly I'll be happy with metroid reps if Ridley gets in. Dark Samus would be cool as well, but I can't get greedy haha.

As for zelda? I don't think they need another rep, honestly. Ghirahim may be a one shot character, but he is interesting. I like beast/pig ganon better, but I think impa/Fi are silly choices. idk about vaati never played that game.

idk I basically see 3-6 more newcomers that we don't know about left.

I'm hoping for Ridley/K.Rool. I know there's always a wtf character sakurai has in reserve that we don't expect. could very well be chorus men. since gematsu died, no one expects it anymore, which would make it work again, lol

from there? Hoping on Isaac. Hoping on Mewtwo. Hoping on Ray01.

guess we'll find out.
stop being nice BruV i would be dissapointed and suprised at how stupid it was.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

Just, umm, gonna leave this right where you all can see it...
I still refuse to believe that the hanging Greninja looked anything like Mewtwo. Or that the Water Shuriken looked anything like...whatever it might have looked like? I'm pretty sure there aren't any moves Mewtwo learns that could be confused with Water Shuriken. He didn't even act like Mewtwo, the fact that the chap was hanging upside down from a tree should already have been a dead giveaway.

Also, once again, no teasing of Mewtwo has occured before or after all of this. At least, as far as I know? Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I still refuse to believe that the hanging Greninja looked anything like Mewtwo. Or that the Water Shuriken looked anything like...whatever it might have looked like? I'm pretty sure there aren't any moves Mewtwo learns that could be confused with Water Shuriken. He didn't even act like Mewtwo, the fact that the chap was hanging upside down from a tree should already have been a dead giveaway.

Also, once again, no teasing of Mewtwo has occured before or after all of this. At least, as far as I know? Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
I-i-i-it was mainly a joke...guess not a very funny one, I'll try harder next time...

Yeah there was no teasing of Mewtwo prior, but what about Ridley's shadow, or Pac-Man's cloud?

As for moves that look like Water Shuriken, when he was charging it it looked a bit like blue Psychic Energy. Most people realized it wasn't BPE by the time it cut through Mario and Charizard's battle:

Not to mention that most people were blinded by the hype of Mewtwo. (KIM that that Charizard was a veteran so most people thought "yo, 2 vets").

Examples:

There's no doubt that Sakurai wanted to mess with us Mewtwo Fans (imo)

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727

Well, it's more of an implied tease. Everyone was expecting Mewtwo, especially since Sakurai stated at E3 2013 that he was considering for Mewtwo to be back for Smash Wii U. Then we get the trailer, oh, shadowy figure powering up. Up until that point most fans, given that it was a Pokemon themed trailer, expected Mewtwo. I personally did until I saw it turn into a water shuriken, then I was like.. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF******************!! And they did show it powering up for a bit which didn't resemble water at first glance, more like it could be Shadow Ball. As for the hanging upside down, he could have been levitating.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Well, it's more of an implied tease. Everyone was expecting Mewtwo, especially since Sakurai stated at E3 2013 that he was considering for Mewtwo to be back for Smash Wii U. Then we get the trailer, oh, shadowy figure powering up. Up until that point most fans, given that it was a Pokemon themed trailer, expected Mewtwo. I personally did until I saw it turn into a water shuriken, then I was like.. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF******************!! And they did show it powering up for a bit which didn't resemble water at first glance, more like it could be Shadow Ball. As for the hanging upside down, he could have been levitating.
Don't for get the sparkles around the shuriken that looked like the effect typically given to magical (psychic and dark) attacks.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I-i-i-it was mainly a joke...guess not a very funny one, I'll try harder next time...
Yeah there was no teasing of Mewtwo prior, but what about Ridley's shadow, or Pac-Man's cloud?
I also don't believe in clouds teasing anything. I mean, the gimmick of clouds (besides being water vapour and ruining my day at unfortunate times) is that the human mind can see anything it wants in it. As long as you can put up with the fact that it is sort of vague, blobby and white.
Either way, I never trust clouds as a way of teasing anything.They give shape to not very much at all besides our imagination. Don't get me wrong though, I do want Mewtwo to make it in.

As for the hanging upside down, he could have been levitating.
Upside down.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I also don't believe in clouds teasing anything. I mean, the gimmick of clouds (besides being water vapour and ruining my day at unfortunate times) is that the human mind can see anything it wants in it. As long as you can put up with the fact that it is sort of vague, blobby and white.
Either way, I never trust clouds as a way of teasing anything.They give shape to not very much at all besides our imagination. Don't get me wrong though, I do want Mewtwo to make it in.

Upside down.
Ganondorf has a sword he doesn't fight with, and Sheik and Captain Falcon carry around weapons they don't use. Levitating upside-down wouldn't be the strangest thing a character has done for no reason. :p

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It didn't matter if it looked like psychic energy anyway

Everyone was expecting Mewtwo

and with the 3 fingers with the bulges at the end (and NO webbing...) and the charging of some kind of energy looking attack

Mewtwo is what came to everyone's mind.

No one expected to see Greninja

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Upside down.
Yeah, I mean, it's Mewtwo. He has a "dark", "villainous" theme, and the "hanging upside down" cliche is common for dark themed characters. Besides, no one knew it was Greninja at the time and the closest guess was Mewtwo. In hindsight, of course, that's not the case.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

Upside down.
I know you don't believe in the cloud teases (probably because of the Ridley cloud, am I right?), but I thought I'd post the pictures so everyone could see.

This one is really far fetched, but I thought I'd include it just because:

Not to mention that PacMan was revealed later that night...

Malle

Smash Apprentice
Keep this thread on topic please.

And to do so, where can I get a good Ridley T-shirt? TELL ME NOW!

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
It didn't matter if it looked like psychic energy anyway

Everyone was expecting Mewtwo

and with the 3 fingers with the bulges at the end (and NO webbing...) and the charging of some kind of energy looking attack

Mewtwo is what came to everyone's mind.

No one expected to see Greninja
I thought it was either Greninja or Ryu from Street Fighter.
Mewtwo never even crossed my mind. :|

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Yeah, just wanna say, no boss ever can possibly come from being a boss to a playable character because that'd mean they have to be incredibly resized to be playable. And that just doesn't happen.

Nope.

Get over yourselves.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Yeah, just wanna say, no boss ever can possibly come from being a boss to a playable character because that'd mean they have to be incredibly resized to be playable. And that just doesn't happen.

Nope.

Get over yourselves.
The size argument has been beaten to death, dude. If they really wanted to put in Ridley or any giant sized boss as a PC, they can do it.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

Nope.

Get over yourselves.
Can we also forget about this too:

The heck is that supposed to be
It's Pacman eating a dot.

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Can someone point me in the direction of the Ridley thread? I think I stumbled across Mewtwo's by mistake

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Contest time: The first who can find a pic of Bowser with a workable size that is canon gets a prize!

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Can someone point me in the direction of the Ridley thread? I think I stumbled across Metwo's by mistake
This was partially Ridley based the whole time.

It started as support for how Sakurai teased Ridley (with Greninja as an example)

And then things to support the support

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Best counter argument @ BlueBubbee BlueBubbee . Also let's not forget the Ridley that was in Melee. Or Brawl for that matter. The one in Brawl wasn't as big as his other representations. If they scaled the Brawl model down by 20% it would still be bigger than Samus or Bowser and would still be menacing yet small enough for a playable character.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
www.smashboards.com/threads/leak.360830/

I really want it to be real for L-cancel, Yoshi OP and Ridley. Pls Sakurai ?

Nope.

Get over yourselves.
King K. Rool was never as big as Ridley, was he ? Still, size doesn't really matter nowadays tho.

D

Deleted member

Nope.

Get over yourselves.
Devil's Advocate: DKC Rool may be scaled proportionately accurate compared to Diddy and it's DK that is the anomaly. DK being the same size as Diddy is abnormal.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Can we also forget about this too:

I wanted to use K. Rool as an example because Bowser has already been done to death.

Also, how can detractors pull a "Kamek did it" with K. Rool? Science? Because you know, Ridley has that too...

King K. Rool was never as big as Ridley, was he ? Still, size doesn't really matter nowadays tho.
Actually...

sizley2.png

Although, like Golden said, Rool's size could be simply scaled when compared to Diddy, who was the size of Donkey Kong in DKC, so there's that.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Devil's Advocate: DKC Rool may be scaled proportionately accurate compared to Diddy and it's DK that is the anomaly. DK being the same size as Diddy is abnormal.
Wow.
I never even noticed that. DK is so tiny, it's adorable.

Oh. Er. RIDLEY! RIDLEYRIDLEY BIG VERY BIG BUT NOT TOO BIG!
See, I'm on topic! Never been more on topic! Nothing wrong at all please dont hurt me

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
If I was to compare to the Greninja trailer to Ridley's shadow teaser, the only thing I would say they have in common is just be playing with our expectations. But I think most people were expecting the reveal to be Mewtwo not Greninja, unlike Ridley's which everyone knew it was Ridley but not everyone can agree if he will be playable or a boss.

Actually...

What game is that version of Kraid from? :troll:

Last edited:

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to use K. Rool as an example because Bowser has already been done to death.

Also, how can detractors pull a "Kamek did it" with K. Rool? Science? Because you know, Ridley has that too...

Actually...

View attachment 18546

Although, like Golden said, Rool's size could be simply scaled when compared to Diddy, who was the size of Donkey Kong in DKC, so there's that.
"DUUUUH... RIDLEY TOO BIG, BUT K. ROOL FOR SMASH!"

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
This pretty much shows that it's possible, of course, I'd prefer Ridley slightly bigger, which could easily be done without making him look too big:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero

Some one on NeoGAF just pointed out that King Kihunter only appears in Metroid: Other M (as we know), but the trophy says "From the Metroid series".

Each of the other 3 trophies is specific with the games the characters appear in.

Tiki appears in more than one game, so it makes sense for her to be labelled as "From the Fire Emblem series".

Whilst this could mean nothing, the question is:

Why is Kihunter listed as simply "From the Metroid series" and not labelled as "from Metroid: Other M"...?

(If someone already pointed this out, sorry :()

D

Deleted member

Actually...

View attachment 18546

Though it's getting a little off the topic of Ridley, I think it would be interesting to draw comparisons between Diddy and K. Rool in both DKC1 and DKC2, and include Dixie in the DKC2 batch so that the comparison between her and K. Rool on DKC3 can be included (since Dixie actually is the same size as Diddy).

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
If I was to compare to the Greninja trailer to Ridley's shadow teaser, the only thing I would say they have in common is just be playing with our expectations. But I think most people were expecting the reveal to be Mewtwo not Greninja, unlike Ridley's which everyone knew it was Ridley but not everyone can agree if he will be playable or a boss.
The difference between the two is that one is direct, objective teasing. Something is shown, and nothing is revealed. This was on the intention of the developers itself, they want to keep things in the dark. Shadows. Get it?
In Greninja's case, it was more of a subjective tease, caused by our expectations. It might seem likely that the developers were intentionally messing with the Mewtwo fanbase, but this isn't sure (and conflicts with Sakurai's sentiments on that matter).

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727

Some one on NeoGAF just pointed out that King Kihunter only appears in Metroid: Other M (as we know), but the trophy says "From the Metroid series".

Each of the other 3 trophies is specific with the games the characters appear in.

Tiki appears in more than one game, so it makes sense for her to be labelled as "From the Fire Emblem series".

Why is Kihunter listed as simply "From the Metroid series" and not labelled as "from Metroid: Other M"...?

I don't think it means anything by omitting the fact that it's from Other M. I mean, it technically is a part of the Metroid series. But I still think those trophies are definite hints, if not a confirmation for Ridley since I can't think of anyone more important than him to be used as a playable character from the Metroid series.. and so far those trophy teases are looking good.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like his counter argument:
"Ridley can't be in because he's too big and now I want to add logic to the Smash Bros. Universe"
seriously.png

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

Easy, Ridley is in all game while Ghirahim is only in one !
Palutena was picked from Uprising, so they only needed to mention this one game, the original not being used.
Robin comes from Awakening. edit it's not specific tho.
Ghirahim from SS.
Ridley is an hybrid from multiple games, "metroid series".
Gimme a cookie now.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman

Maybe even Sakurai got ashamed of that game that he didnt want to acknowledge it :p

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Palutena was picked from Uprising, so they only needed to mention this one game, the original not being used.
Robin comes from Awakening.
Ghirahim from SS.
Gimme a cookie now.
Here, have this "A" button shaped cookie.

:GCA:

I both love and hate the trophy quiz, because they hint at both Ridley and Ghirahim.
I still don't get why people always think it's Ghirahim, but yes implied Ridley tease right after the boss Ridley tease.. definitely looking good for Ridley.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Robin comes from Awakening.
Ghirahim from SS.
Gimme a cookie now.
I wouldn't be surprised if, at the end of this all, Sakurai shows the trophy pictures and then flips them all, showing their respective fighters. Then, the video cuts to Sakurai, raughing madly like a cartoon villain.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

That means we're probably getting Ghirahim over a more worthy villain such a Vaati.

Don't all of these characters have links somehow, I believe it was listed previously. I'm gonna do a post on that later (it will have Ridley), I think.

Best counter argument @ BlueBubbee BlueBubbee . Also let's not forget the Ridley that was in Melee. Or Brawl for that matter. The one in Brawl wasn't as big as his other representations. If they scaled the Brawl model down by 20% it would still be bigger than Samus or Bowser and would still be menacing yet small enough for a playable character.
Which counter argument?

I know, but (since I bet you never read my size rant, nobody does :\ ) Bowser is canonically 8'7", with Mario being at 5'1". That's three feet and 6 inches. They still resize Bowser for Smash. And yeah, I kind of thought you were joking with the K Rool thing (were you? I'm lost), so I put in Bowser pictures as a joke. If I was being serious I would've used this:

(unaltered Bowser)

Top Bottom