• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Hey guys, you're all Ridley experts of course right? Can anyone tell me where the source for this might have emerged?

This was on 4chan and this was his story

This morning i was messing around with smashbros.com shortly after the reveal trailer. I had refreshed as it was being updated and as usual when multiple new characters are being added they are put in one by one in the bottom "other characters" listing while you're in a profile. Upon entering Captain Falcon's newly created profile and scrolling down there was a blank icon in place of the next in line (i was unsure if it would be Lucina or Robin) so I right click-> save-as and this is what came up. I immediately went back and refreshed again but by then the remaining newcomers had been applied and this icon was nowhere to be seen (not that it was visible from the site). Why wasn't he revealed alongside the others if he was intended to be?

Of course, 4chan so it's likely fake, but I'd still like to know where this render might have came from. I'll admit, a small part of me wants this story to be real (well actually a huge part) so if nothing else, it's something to look into.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I just feel like sakurai is trying to pull in as many characters as possible which is why FE suddenly jumped from 2 to 4 reps and the fact that a final smash that allows ridley to soar across the map would be the perfect way to fool someone into thinking he isn't playable. He's also constantly jabbing at size comparisons which are the mains reasons people point to for ridley being impossible. He's gotten pac man to work (something many thought ironically was impossible). Plus like i said it feels all to coincidental that two franchises out of the four shown in the direct eventually had characters from those EXACT games announced. And seeing as he said they are reaching the end of new reveal videos is only makes sense that ridley would be one of the last announced newcomers that would cause a loud amount of chit-chat among smash players.

I also feel it's because ridley might be playable is why pyrospehere wasn't playable at E3. It's especially odd given that pyroshpere was also for a long time the primary stage that sakurai would feature in pic of the days as well as it always being shown off in trailers, yet not once have we seen ridley and the stage has been shown off during the non-FD version and also if the yellow devils respawn time is anything to go off then ridley's appearances if he were to be a boss character would be very frequent.
Amazing debate points!

I have a feeling that the reason fire emblem got 2 more reps is the same reason a lot of other franchises got more reps: more female characters. Think about it. Both FE chars we got today have the potential to be female (is that the right way to phrase that?). And if our "ideas" hold here, Ridley has a better chance because she's female. :troll:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Hey guys, you're all Ridley experts of course right? Can anyone tell me where the source for this might have emerged?

This morning i was messing around with smashbros.com shortly after the reveal trailer. I had refreshed as it was being updated and as usual when multiple new characters are being added they are put in one by one in the bottom "other characters" listing while you're in a profile. Upon entering Captain Falcon's newly created profile and scrolling down there was a blank icon in place of the next in line (i was unsure if it would be Lucina or Robin) so I right click-> save-as and this is what came up. I immediately went back and refreshed again but by then the remaining newcomers had been applied and this icon was nowhere to be seen (not that it was visible from the site). Why wasn't he revealed alongside the others if he was intended to be?

Of course, 4chan so it's likely fake, but I'd still like to know where this render might have came from. I'll admit, a small part of me wants this story to be real (well actually a huge part) so if nothing else, it's something to look into.
I call fake due to the box being incapable of fitting Ridley's entire head.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo

It's fake, that Ridley Model is almost exactly the same from Other M if not the same and has the same textures.

Neo Zero

I call fake due to the box being incapable of fitting Ridley's entire head.
I agree, though to be fair, if there was one character I could see having a hard time fitting into one of those boxes, it'd be Ridley and his bird beak.

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525
It's debatable. It is at least one of the largest, plus paleontologists aren't sure whether Hatzegopteryx is its own genus or simply a variation of Quetzalcoatlus.
They all came from the same Pterosaur anyway, the line between species and genus are to vague, so you could go either way.
This reminds me, why is Ridley considered a dragon and not a Pterosaur?

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042

It's most likely a photoshopped image of Ridley, though the model IS other M Ridley, you can usually assume that they change the model up a bit, and that looks straight outta other M. Plus, considering how his background is not the official one (ie the flamey one at E3 it's most likely fake

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
They all came from the same Pterosaur anyway, the line between species and genus are to vague, so you could go either way.
Man looked at Pterosaur bones and called them dragons. Of course we did the same with Ridley.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Because pterasaurs didn't have 6 limbs but dragons commonly do

Also pterasaurs didn't breathe fire

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Urgh, Ridsalina shipping. Not a fan.
Oh nonsense, everyone here is a fan of Ridsalina whether they initially wanted to be or not.

If you're not one now that just means you haven't drunk enough Splounge water yet.

*Forces Splounge Water IV into your arm*
*Creepily Happy Nurse Voice*
You will come to love Ridsalina soon enough, it takes about 10 gallons for people to be converted, so just sit real tight and let the Splounge water flow through your veins! And don't worry, we got you this nice bed with leather straps (*Pins you down*) that go over your body so that you don't have to worry about the convulsions being uncomfortable (*Fastens the Leather Straps around your limbs*). We'll see you in a few hours!

:awesome:

Oh hey hey everybody, sorry I haven't been around much today, I've been partying with the Robin Family and performing Robin Character/Moveset Analysis and stuff. Robin was my most wanted possible newcomer after Ridley, so I've been celebrating all day.

I'm still lurking though, waiting to force feed our newcomers some Splounge Water.

I'll resume my regular shipping and hazing activity here in a bit, don't any of you worry. :awesome:

Last edited by a moderator:

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice
do you guys think we can get ganondorf and ghirahim in the same trailer and ridley with another Metroid rep since fire emblem got two in the same trailer and game? and we will get mewtwo with jig and king k rool with metaknight and wario?

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Guys, let's not get carried away here with the "Ridley confirmed playable" stuff. Look what happened to the Chrom fans, they saw the leak, 100% believed Chrom was in, then today their hopes were dashed harshly with Chrom's role as part of Robin's Final Smash attack and a non playable character. Overconfidence and arrogance will be your downfall. I do agree that this increases Ridley's chances a bit, but let's not go overboard. Also, we should give support and condolences to Chrom supporters, not laugh at them, because having a character dis-confirmed, especially in a cruel/trolling way, is just horrible. Whilst I'm on the subject of cruel dis-confirmations, it seems Sakurai just did it straight to the point with Chrom, much like dis-confirmed characters, and Chrom's one of the characters that was highly requested. Ridley is still the only one that has been teased and had things different to dis-confirmed characters, and he was still not shown on Pyrosphere in that clip either.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Amazing debate points!

I have a feeling that the reason fire emblem got 2 more reps is the same reason a lot of other franchises got more reps: more female characters. Think about it. Both FE chars we got today have the potential to be female (is that the right way to phrase that?). And if our "ideas" hold here, Ridley has a better chance because she's female. :troll:
Funny enough Hyrule Warriors needs more male characters, all we have so far is Link. Though would be cool to see Ridley being revealed alongside Ganondorf of Pig Ganon

Neo Zero

It's most likely a photoshopped image of Ridley, though the model IS other M Ridley, you can usually assume that they change the model up a bit, and that looks straight outta other M. Plus, considering how his background is not the official one (ie the flamey one at E3 it's most likely fake
Its supposed to be that little box at the bottom of the character page where you scroll along to pick other characters. The BG at any rate is fine

For comparison

It's actually quite similar. However I kinda figured it's probably just something from Other M. Though I'd still like to see a comparable Roidley as I've never seen Roidley stand at that angle with his wings shown like that.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Its supposed to be that little box at the bottom of the character page where you scroll along to pick other characters. The BG at any rate is fine

For comparison

It's actually quite similar. However I kinda figured it's probably just something from Other M. Though I'd still like to see a comparable Roidley as I've never seen Roidley stand at that angle with his wings shown like that.
The textures are too ugh to be new and hd, it's ripped directly from Other M. (Question: What does Other M, even mean? The name never made sense to me. Why M? Where was the first M?)

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525
Technically Ridley shoots Plasma.
Guys, let's not get carried away here with the "Ridley confirmed playable" stuff. Look what happened to the Chrom fans, they saw the leak, 100% believed Chrom was in, then today their hopes were dashed harshly with Chrom's role as part of Robin's Final Smash attack and a non playable character. Overconfidence and arrogance will be your downfall. I do agree that this increases Ridley's chances a bit, but let's not go overboard. Also, we should give support and condolences to Chrom supporters, not laugh at them, because having a character dis-confirmed, especially in a cruel/trolling way, is just horrible. Whilst I'm on the subject of cruel dis-confirmations, it seems Sakurai just did it straight to the point with Chrom, much like dis-confirmed characters, and Chrom's one of the characters that was highly requested. Ridley is still the only one that has been teased and had things different to dis-confirmed characters, and he was still not shown on Pyrosphere in that clip either.
Now that I think about it this didn't really help or hurt Ridley's chances, that much. Like someone pointed out before Chrom was disconfirmed immediately after he was shown, and he was arguably the most wanted non revealed character before yesterday.
Edit: This also shows Sakurai knows better, Lucina was a much better addition than Chrom, and Robin added diversity, if Sakurai thinks Ridley can't add enough to be his own character (unlikely but possible) than he won't get in.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Problem with this: Chrom fans blindly followed the leak, and they ONLY had the leak, we have teasing, references and shadows

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
The textures are too ugh to be new and hd, it's ripped directly from Other M. (Question: What does Other M, even mean? The name never made sense to me. Why M? Where was the first M?)
Lazy title writing. The first M:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Well, besides the title being an anagram for "M Other", it's also an acronym for M.O.M.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Problem with this: Chrom fans blindly followed the leak, and they ONLY had the leak, we have teasing, references and shadows
Even before the leak everyone believed if Awakening got a rep, which everyone also believed was very likely, that it would be Chrom

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Meta-Kraid said:
What they said. Ridley has six limbs, two hands, two feet and wings that are pretty much bat-wings. He's most likely considered an alien dragon with pterosaur-characteristics.

@The Soulless One

Never. This saltwater-logged Draug is prepared to sink as many ships as he needs. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hoQNOdg8PBU/UDNo_s_ahaI/AAAAAAAAGIo/dRdUnatwOSE/s1600/draugen.jpg

Splounge water's nothing compared to this salty carcass.

Dragomire

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GoodGuyCrocomire
If you ignore "etroid: ther", it's MOM, and Samus keeps going on and on about "THEBABYTHEBABYTHEBABY" in the game, but it could be something different.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
His point still stands. They were sure there character was in. They were devastated.

Many here are sure Ridley is in. I'm not saying don't be sure. I'm saying I'm not. I'm saying don't be devastated.

D

Deleted member

What they said. Ridley has six limbs, two hands, two feet and wings that are pretty much bat-wings. He's most likely considered an alien dragon with pterosaur-characteristics.

@The Soulless One

Never. This saltwater-logged Draug is prepared to sink as many ships as he needs. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hoQNOdg8PBU/UDNo_s_ahaI/AAAAAAAAGIo/dRdUnatwOSE/s1600/draugen.jpg

Splounge water's nothing compared to this salty carcass.
Oh the ramblings of someone who just went under the Splounge Water are always amusing, aren't they everyone?

@ Crocovile Crocovile and yes, I have committed to the joke that you are being force fed Splounge Water on a table.
:awesome:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I'm just saying that if we laugh at Chrom supporters and Gematsu Leak cult for this news, we'd end up being like those Ridlephobes who did it to us after the SSB Direct. I don't want any part of that, and I'm sure you guys don't either. Yes they had just a leak to go on, and we have teasing, shadows, lack of Ridley on Pyrosphere in pictures, etc, but we need to show that we're the better people and a good part of the Smash community: with strength of our arguments and knowledge on our side, and supporting fans that have been let down by harsh dis-confirmations. We don't want to be like those poisonous Ridley haters.

Top Bottom