• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Rescue for PAL-smashers - Freeloader for Wii! *Bad news folks*

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
365games use paypal to process the payment but all you have to do is put your card details in. You don't have to use an actual paypal account (it asked me to login to mine but i told it to send the payment without logging me in).

P.S First post here, trying 365games game+freeloader package, hopefully arriving tomorrow :)
For non-UK users you can only use PayPal, though, which doesn't work for me.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Anyone else receive theirs today?
I wanna try Wifi soon, but I don't really wanna connect just now =S
lolz.
Anyone tried Wifi.

and bloody hell. I got 3 smash balls in a 2minute match O.o
They're really frequent.

Influenssa

Smash Cadet
Has anyone even tried US Brawl without the update? I don't really know if it's worth it to play black and white Brawl with ****ty online play incase some of the coming firmware updates would brick my Wii.

perfectnumpty

Smash Rookie
i have got my free loader but no brawl hasn't even been shipped yet has any one else ordered from green-doors of ebay thats where i went i'm some what regretting it :[

MrSilver

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've got Freeloader ordered at 2 places now and neither has shipped... Called around but it doesn't seem like any gamestore withing 50 miles has one either. Guess I'm stuck for a little while longer. :(

Influenssa

Smash Cadet
But I'm pretty sure I'll have it all black and white and can't fix it. The remote is broken. And I have tried PS2 games on 60Hz and those have always been black and white. It might just work if the signal is RGB but if not, I'm screwed.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
I tried US Brawl without the update. Just a black, buzzing screen. You have to update. Just don't update your Wii until the PAL comes out. When PAL comes out, re-format your Wii, and It'll be fine =]

Yeah, it was just because the "COL" part of my TV was set to PAL. I have to change it for when I play Brawl. A lot of people shouldn't have this problem.

Well, gonna start SSE out now =D

Influenssa

Smash Cadet
But reformatting your Wii doesn't reverse your firmware. Just erases all your saves, VC games, settings and other stuff like that. After the update there's no chance but to hope that the future firmware upgrades doesn't brick your Wii.

Wolfling

Smash Rookie
Just to get one thing straight, do you need to update your wii firmware to 3.2E ????

NuclearWinter

Smash Rookie
I tried US Brawl without the update. Just a black, buzzing screen. You have to update. Just don't update your Wii until the PAL comes out. When PAL comes out, re-format your Wii, and It'll be fine =]

Yeah, it was just because the "COL" part of my TV was set to PAL. I have to change it for when I play Brawl. A lot of people shouldn't have this problem.

Well, gonna start SSE out now =D
Can you please tell us what version it says your Wii currently is at? Eg: 3.2U? 3.1U?

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Kone: Sure, I'll play on Wifi soon. Just need to connect to the net, and want to get a little better first too =P

Nuclear: I'll test that later. I don't wanna turn the game off incase I get an error reading the disc =[

flywithme

Smash Rookie
I ordered the freeloader and brawl from green door (they emailed me to tell me that they would dispatch BOTH items on the same day if anyone else is still waiting).

But, basically if this does work, are we all going to have to hope and pray that Nintendo dont release a firmware update with future software (for example the PAL release of smash bros) that will brick the consoles with the dual layer disc updates on the american version of brawl?

Also, i have version 3.1E on my console, will this still work, as Im never able to use the wireless in my house?

Sorry im a bit of a lurker, but i needed a few questions answered :)

synyker

Smash Rookie
So after updating from the ntsc brawl disc, you'll have version 3.2U of the firmware and there is no way of resetting wii to factory defaults or anything else that would reset the firmware? D:

Influenssa

Smash Cadet
Well I'll just update it too. Don't need anything but Wii, Brawl, as sofa and a couple of friends. The online will never have the same feeling when playing with friends on the same console. If there was a voice chat that might be different. But I'm still afraid of the colour thing. Well atleast it would still be playable. :)

E: And yes, when you run the update with Brawl there is NO WAY you can reverse it. It should say still 3.2E not U but the update is there. And yes, some European update might brick the Wii.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
So what, it somehow converts your firmware to the US version of 3.2?

If so, I'm using the alternative method. Forevar. D:
I think you HAVE to update in order to play the game, even with the Freeloader. At least that's what I've gathered from those who are playing the game.

DEAR GOD, I AM SO SICK OF WAITING FOR CODEJUNKIES.

Kunato

Smash Apprentice
I dunno if this has been brought up before, but do I need to update my Wii in order to play Brawl? (I am not referring to the update that comes with the game, but the system updates that you receive in mails).
I haven't downloaded the most recent Wii system update, should I do it before using the Freeloader?

Edit: Sorry, I missed the posts above.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
I dunno if this has been brought up before, but do I need to update my Wii in order to play Brawl? (I am not referring to the update that comes with the game, but the system updates that you receive in mails).
I haven't downloaded the most recent Wii system update, should I do it before using the Freeloader?
READ THE TOPIC, PLZ.

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
I think you HAVE to update in order to play the game, even with the Freeloader. At least that's what I've gathered from those who are playing the game.
rofl. What happened to the Freeloader skipping the updates? >_>;;

kereo

Smash Cadet
Crap, I now keep reading here that you need to update your Wii with the update from Brawl... Is this true and can it brick the Wii if you use a later update? Cause if so, I feel kinda screwed for ordering. I don't wanna ruin my Wii :(

craiigg

Smash Lord
Because Brawl is the first Dual Layered game, it cannot be played without the update.

And we havn't got the proper update for that yet n___n

EDIT: Someone needs to check that now their console is using USA firmware, does it still play PAL games??

Can someone test both Wii and Cube games <____<

Ritatsu

Smash Rookie
Import info + pics

I'm from London, I got brawl and the freeloader today, in order to play brawl, you have to do the option 2 (freeloader twice, then brawl, then update, then just freeloader once and brawl everytime, as someone posted before), I tried it without the update first and it turned blank after you select smash bros brawl in the Wii menu. You have to use 60hz (480i) for proper colour or you can use HD 480p aswell. I dont think any firmware updates are needed, but I havent tested really old versions yet.

I have tried online and it works, spectator/team/single all work, battles are a bit laggy which is expected, but it works and you can still own if you know what your doing.

heres some pics:

The game and freeloader

blank screen on first try (the mute sign in the corner)

working after update

How to play

brawl battle

online screen after signing into wifi online

online battle menu

Hope that helped someone

thanks

Influenssa

Smash Cadet
Yeah, the Freeloader skips the updates, but some games just don't work without them. That's why there's the double boot method that enables the updates and region free gaming.

Vidd

Smash Cadet
I'd rather know when Brawl is coming out here.
I don't want to rely on the Freeloader every time I turn the system on.

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
Hm...

Well, I guess I'll just have to turn my Wii into a Brawlmachine then. :D

kereo

Smash Cadet
Yeah, the Freeloader skips the updates, but some games just don't work without them. That's why there's the double boot method that enables the updates and region free gaming.
Yes, but I would like the know how big of a chance this has to ruin your Wii later on.
At first I wasn't to worried, but now I see posts that say a later EU update can ruin your Wii.
So, please someone, put my mind at ease ^^'

craiigg

Smash Lord
Yes, but I would like the know how big of a chance this has to ruin your Wii later on.
At first I wasn't to worried, but now I see posts that say a later EU update can ruin your Wii.
Noone knows, youll just have to wait for someone to try updating and report back xP

flywithme

Smash Rookie
i think we'll have to pray that Nintendo's next firmware update doesnt screw over converted consoles. If it does then i will never buy another nintendo product again.

Top Bottom