• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Rescue for PAL-smashers - Freeloader for Wii! *Bad news folks*

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
EDIT: Someone needs to check that now their console is using USA firmware, does it still play PAL games??

Can someone test both Wii and Cube games <____<
That, and do we know for sure it saves correctly? Has anyone stopped playing and then reloaded the game?

Ritatsu

Smash Rookie
when you are doing the update, it says it may damage your wii if the chip is 'modded' or altered.

craiigg

Smash Lord
That, and do we know for sure it saves correctly? Has anyone stopped playing and then reloaded the game?
It will save perfectly fine =)
All wiis use the same base programming, only changes are the Region block codes and TV output codes. (Oh and servers for wifi etc but shh that doesnt matter)

Considering the Freeloader disc is a PAL disc, PAL games should work
You have to update then restart the Wii, if the firmware didn't allow PAL games after that then the Freeloader wouldn't run XD

Besides, if that happens you can just use the Freeloader for every game you own >__>

Ritatsu

Smash Rookie
I tried a Pal Wii game and a Pal Gamecube game after Brawl update and they both work fine.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Urg these pictures are killing me.

I also bought the freeloader and brawl package from green door. I sent in my order over the weekend so it's safe to assume they sent it out first thing monday.

It also says 1 to 3 days delivery.

so wednesday? Thursday? It should arrive this week.

Someone should start a british/European friend code thread on the online forum. *hint hint*

craiigg

Smash Lord
=D! everything is gooooooood can't wait to play english brawl now then

Japanese brawl lags so much for online =(

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Can someone who have taken the update go to their menu to check the firmware version that the wii gives?
It's still 3.2 E. It doesn't convert your Wii to US.

chrisking570

Smash Journeyman
i dont care if a future update bricks my wii, when UK brawl comes out, i will give my brother the wii im using and buy a new wii. I can save that much up, im sure.

dirtypoison

Smash Apprentice
Awesome news that it works, but I have my Wii at 3.2E , that should still make the freeloader work, right?

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
my wii is 3.1E. Do i need to try and update it before i put brawl in?
Yeah, I would. Brawl needs 3.2
Since you have 3.1, I have no idea if the update on the Wii would convert it to US since you don't have the European 3.2, and the Brawl disc has 3.2 U for anyone that doesn't have 3.2

If you already have 3.2 E it doesn't convert though.
if that makes sense =S

So yes, update online before putting Brawl in.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Ok, I'll update the OP with a users guide on how to make the Freeloader work with Brawl. I think I'll add a FAQ too, but you'll have to ask questions that you'd like to get an answer for, and someone should eventually answer it, and then it will be added to the OP. For example:

Q: Why does my screen turn black when I try to launch Brawl?
A: You'll have to let the update that's on the Brawl-disc run in your Wii before you can launch Brawl, even if the Freeloader is designed to block those.

kooky

Smash Cadet
well i would to it, just to be safe.
Another thing: Why do you think nintendo would make region codes or stuff on a update like the one from brawl? seriously, it just let's your wii read dual layer discs. It's not that it would do anything else. Every wii, no matter if japanese european or american runs with the same system, the only difference are the region codes. they would'nt even be needed, i don't understand why they even exist. Sure some sort of marketing strategy. If the brawl update WOULD change your PAL region code to the NTSC region code, then it would:
1. say 3.2U instead of 3.2E
2. no PAL game would load anymore.

Which means: Your wii won't get bricked, everyone calm down and enjoy brawl.

Influenssa

Smash Cadet
i dont care if a future update bricks my wii, when UK brawl comes out, i will give my brother the wii im using and buy a new wii. I can save that much up, im sure.
I'm sure your brother will appreciate you giving him unfunctional Wii. :D I'll just check from the internet if some update Will brick Wiis cause of the Brawl update. If that's so I'm not gonna update my Wii anymore and also not going to buy any Nintendo products. Atleast until their home consoles are not region locked.

DalzK

Smash Apprentice
Well this is my 2 cents so far:
The update that comes with Brawl is a game specific update, and will probably be the same update that the PAL version will have (it works with it doesnt it?)...
But onto my main point, I HIGHLY doubt that nintendo would think about bricking the wii's completely..How much money + support would they lose just to stop extra copies being sold? (most people will buy the US version and the PAL). I think they know that if they bricked the Wii's it just means less games will be sold...
What they will probably do though is after a bit stop the freeloader working...but by that time Brawl will be out here :D

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Well this is my 2 cents so far:
The update that comes with Brawl is a game specific update, and will probably be the same update that the PAL version will have (it works with it doesnt it?)...
But onto my main point, I HIGHLY doubt that nintendo would think about bricking the wii's completely..How much money + support would they lose just to stop extra copies being sold? (most people will buy the US version and the PAL). I think they know that if they bricked the Wii's it just means less games will be sold...
What they will probably do though is after a bit stop the freeloader working...but by that time Brawl will be out here :D
Indeed. Many have imported. Nintendo would piss a hell of a lot of people off.

If they bricked my Wii, I wouldn't buy another Wii, and might not buy the next Nintendo system if that's how Nintendo's going to go about things.
I'm sure a lot of other people would feel the same way.

Nintendo realises that it could lose them a lot of money in the long run. The very long run.

Just finished the first couple of levels of SSE. Sort of enjoying it. It's fun to roam around and look for things while side scrolling. Some enemies come out of nowhere and just circle you though xD

chrisking570

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure your brother will appreciate you giving him unfunctional Wii. :D I'll just check from the internet if some update Will brick Wiis cause of the Brawl update. If that's so I'm not gonna update my Wii anymore and also not going to buy any Nintendo products. Atleast until their home consoles are not region locked.
lol, he likes to take things apart. i would let him have a play around with the inside and see what he can do, e.g buy a new hard-drive so it worked, change the blue light to a red light, etc.

craiigg

Smash Lord
nice kooky =)

Toast, did the update take a while to install or was it done quickly? (Minutes compared to seconds maybe)

If it went fast I'd assume the update realises you already have updated firmware, or just edits a few lines in your firmware which shouldn't cause bricking/corruption when it comes to another update

Ritatsu

Smash Rookie
well i would to it, just to be safe.
Another thing: Why do you think nintendo would make region codes or stuff on a update like the one from brawl? seriously, it just let's your wii read dual layer discs. It's not that it would do anything else. Every wii, no matter if japanese european or american runs with the same system, the only difference are the region codes. they would'nt even be needed, i don't understand why they even exist. Sure some sort of marketing strategy. If the brawl update WOULD change your PAL region code to the NTSC region code, then it would:
1. say 3.2U instead of 3.2E
2. no PAL game would load anymore.

Which means: Your wii won't get bricked, everyone calm down and enjoy brawl.
Very true, it even says that it will only affect modded wii's when your updating with the brawl and freeloader. So I pretty positive that its safe, but we will need someone who updates in the furute to confirm for sure.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Glad to see you got it to work Soluble Toast, I recently got an HDTV after always having problems with NTSC/60Hz stuff, so I'm good to go I should think.

I should be able to play it tomorrow, with any luck. Possibly even later today. I can't wait. I've heard from people that it's a little hard to get used to, but I'm sure I can do it. The change seems less drastic than that between 64/Melee.

When I have more time, i.e. in my Easter holidays, I'll have some WiFi matches.

By the way, a question:

What would be a better version to own for WiFi? JP or US?

The US one may not be able to fight those in US if it searches for the games in a local-ish area, so in that respect, the JP version may be better for playing US and EU games. Any ideas?

EDIT: Also I've heard SSE is "alright" in 1 player, and a lot more fun in CoOp. I can see why.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
But the update doesn't duplicate the news and forecast channels?
Don't think it did. I didn't look at my channels much when I loaded Brawl. I don't think I had any extra channels.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Sorry to double post, but I accidentally deleted all images from Smashboards, so I can't edit posts, or post replies the normal way. I have to use quick reply. I have no idea how to get the little buttons back ><

I wanna answer some peoples questions.
Riight.
Craig: Took seconds. Literally about 5 seconds. I've seen a video of the US copy updating and it took about 2 minutes.

Superlink: Thanks x]
Glad I got the colour too. Was chuffed.
Yeah, it is a little hard to get used to. The characters seem to attack slower also. It's just been slowed down a lot from Melee. I'll get used to it in a couple of hours though. Very, very fun though. I like smash balls xP

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe
Can ya answer this please

1. Whats your Wii's Firmware version number now. Its still 3.2E right?
2. No duplicate Channels...as you've already said (although they would be added on the end so if you go over a couple of pages it may be hidden unless you check)

I'm just really cautious...I dont want my Wii bricking and having to buy another :(

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
You've probably blocked images from Smashboards by accident, Toast. Try right-clicking/Apple & clicking where there should be image and see if you can unblock them.

Sounds good! Good luck to everyone!

Ritatsu

Smash Rookie
The channels dont get duplicated.

No updating to 3.2 is needed, 3.1E works aswell, my wii is version is 3.1E before and after I updated to play brawl.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Serebii:
Just turned Brawl off and checked:
Firmware version= 3.2 E

Checked all channel pages. No channels are duplicated. Same channels as I've always had. The defaults.

Ganon875

Smash Cadet
If the update takes only a few seconds, then it just confirms that you have the right version, and not updating at all, so you should be fine!
And here I am waiting for brawl until monday...:mad:

craiigg

Smash Lord
Toast: Thats amazing news, looks like it recognizes the 3.2E firmware and either writes a tiny bit in or doesn't even update just checks.

I have like 5% worries for a bricked wii now XD

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe
If the update takes only a few seconds, then it just confirms that you have the right version, and not updating at all, so you should be fine!
And here I am waiting for brawl until monday...:mad:
You think thats bad. Mines been shipped but it can arrive at ANY time. 1 to 14 Business Days via airmail...I mean knowing you wont get it til a specific day is one thing...but knowing you may get it today for every day...that just gnaws at ya :p

zelda_rulez

Smash Rookie
The channels dont get duplicated.

No updating to 3.2 is needed, 3.1E works aswell, my wii is version is 3.1E before and after I updated to play brawl.
You could try and update it to 3.2E to see if that changes anything now. But that is a bit risky of course. ;)

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the double post, but the European Friend Code thread you made is closed. Wanna make another?
Don't make another one. Just use the one there already is (isn't there an online forum? I'm certain there's a Friend Code topic).

Top Bottom