• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The PSI Powered Youth: Game Play General

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
The stages are so odd in this game. I'm not sure if it's just the 3DS ones or what, but I feel like each stage is one big rectangle. The blastzones seem gigantic and the ceiling seems low.

My point there is, I saw someone (I think NAKAT) kill with Ness' bthrow on BF, completely at the far right end and it killed Robin in the high 90/low 100s and it killed him off the side, not the ceiling. I think bthrow DID actually get a buff, but I need to really test it out.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
From what I'm getting with all the footage I've seen, it looks pretty good for Ness. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy when it comes out in the US.

Ness+Huge Magnet = Happy Me.

Only thing that I don't like is the Bat is basically the same speed, FTilt isn't any faster and looks shorter-ranged, and the sparkle effects on Ness' moves look weird.

EDIT: I just realized that signature from forever ago. Haven't played Brawl in forever AND the wii doesn't have online support anymore, so I need to do some tweaking.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I'm certainly going to give Ness a shot in Smash 4.

Back when the 64 version came out, he instantly clicked with me. Not only was I big fan of EarthBound, but I loved his abilities. I played him for years before switching to Melee, and I was quick to find stronger and more applicable options. Years later I discovered there was still a 64 scene after Melee, and wow was I ever in for a rude awakening. Ness really became horribly ineffective against competitive-grade players.

Now he's looking REALLY good. Now he looks to have a design that will actually age well as players improve. Of course it's too early to be certain, but I'm feeling a lot better initially than I did with Melee or Brawl. To begin with, they did what I wanted them to, and offset Ness's proportions a bit. By that I mean, they made his body a bit bigger in comparison to his head. This is important, because there is only so much they would be willing to distort and stretch his limbs to match up the hitboxes, and wow did he ever have to stretch before. There was only so much they could do with those sparks of his, since a lot of his kill moves required grabs or physical contact.

We'll see where he sits a few months from now, and again after the Wii U version ships.

Hong

The Strongest
I'm going to concentrate my efforts on upB research. That is....when I get the game.
Yo. Simna. You were still living the dream back in the day when I had long given up on Ness. Glad to see you're still kicking around these parts. I hope you'll continue to bless our community with your boundless and unabashed love for PK Thunder. :D

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
I think what we need to do is to find Ness' good/bad matchups in this game.

Also, is the Marth/Marth with breasts matchup still awful?

Flying_Skitty

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1091-8635-3184
I heard somewhere that his Up Smash was changed to Lucas'. It would be amazing if it was or is.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Is it just me or am I getting some serious Mewtwo vibes from his throws?

Flying_Skitty

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1091-8635-3184
I believe his throws are the same from Brawl and Melee. I do like his back throw the best.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Can't wait to try out Ness... The hype is killing me!

From what I've seen, Ness looks a lot more viable in Smash 4. PSI Magnet being bigger is a huge plus for me.

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
He's always had kill throws with his moves.
Can't wait to try out Ness... The hype is killing me!

From what I've seen, Ness looks a lot more viable in Smash 4. PSI Magnet being bigger is a huge plus for me.
Shame it doesn't do damage unless you're using customs.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
It's so great too see all of the greatest Ness mains reconvene in this one thread. Even the legendary Simna ibn Sind is back! I'm sure all of you guys will spring forth some incredible Ness technology with your combined effort.

I've always been a lowly netplayer, but hopefully I can prove of use this time.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm interested to try PK Fire -> D-Throw -> Up Tilt -> Rising PK Flash. :)

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
As a 64 Ness main, as crazy as it sounds, I really like the look of the third PK Thunder for its extra power and lower speed. If it ends up too gimpable, the second's a pretty good fallback, though. Unfortunate that PK Flash and Magnet still look highly situational.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
The 2nd PK Fire looks quite like Brawl's.
It deals lot of damage if all hits connects, but one could probably escape it easily.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
As a 64 Ness main, as crazy as it sounds, I really like the look of the third PK Thunder for its extra power and lower speed. If it ends up too gimpable, the second's a pretty good fallback, though. Unfortunate that PK Flash and Magnet still look highly situational.
I had high hopes for the slow one myself, but it turns out ppl can just attack it and break it. I wish there was one like the Melee PK Thunder where ppl cant just attack it.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink

New thing Discovered by Fsann. I elaborated more on it and shown that it works with the custom PKTs as well.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
As much as I hate to say it guys, I think we're being a bit too optimistic here. Ness has undergone a list of significant nerfs from my observation. Allow me to clarify.

1. PK Fire has ridiculous endlag now, as still looks like it doesn't trap them effectively.
2. Dthrow combos don't seem possible anymore. The opponent can almost ALWAYS airdodge out of it. Your dreams of dthrow to fair or dthrow to uair are just that: dreams.
3. Fair is smaller and weaker (7%). Just look at those sparkles, they're not NEARLY as big as the Brawl or Melee ones. In addition to this, Ness twists his body more towards the screen, reducing the effective range of the move.
4. Bthrow kills only at higher percentages. Don't be fooled, it definitely killed sooner in Brawl.
5. PSI Magnet was nerfed. The reduced eng lag is negligable because we lost PSI Magnet cancelling. Don't remember what that is? Upon absorbing something, Ness was able to roll, spot dodge, or jump directly out of the magnet. Since that's gone now, the safety of absorption has actually been NERFED. In addition to this, since absorbed projectiles revolve around Ness before healing him, it takes longer to reduce your accumulated damage.
6. PKT has tighter controls compared to Brawl. Brawl had the most controllable PKT to date.
7. Dair is weaker and has a sweetspot now.
8. Bair is weaker and has a sweetspot now.
9. Yo-yos don't hit while charging anymore. This can be seen as a nerf or a buff, but with how ledges work in this game, I think I would have preferred them having hitboxes while charging.
10. Dash attack sparkles are much smaller too.

In addition to these nerfs, there are a few things in Brawl that I hated that didn't get changed.

1. PKT2 STOPS when it hits something. That means if someone gets in the way while you're recovering, you'll most likely not get enough distance to make it to the ledge.
2. Bat is still slow.

Having mained Ness since 64, I've never had thoughts of dropping him. Until now. Now I'm not so sure...

Last edited:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
As much as I hate to say it guys, I think we're being a bit too optimistic here. Ness has undergone a list of significant nerfs from my observation. Allow me to clarify.

1. PK Fire has ridiculous endlag now, as still looks like it doesn't trap them effectively.
2. Dthrow combos don't seem possible anymore. The opponent can almost ALWAYS airdodge out of it. Your dreams of dthrow to fair or dthrow to uair are just that: dreams.
3. Fair is smaller and weaker (7%). Just look at those sparkles, they're not NEARLY as big as the Brawl or Melee ones. In addition to this, Ness twists his body more towards the screen, reducing the effective range of the move.
4. Bthrow kills only at higher percentages. Don't be fooled, it definitely killed sooner in Brawl.
5. PSI Magnet was nerfed. The reduced eng lag is negligable because we lost PSI Magnet cancelling. Don't remember what that is? Upon absorbing something, Ness was able to roll, spot dodge, or jump directly out of the magnet. Since that's gone now, the safety of absorption has actually been NERFED. In addition to this, since absorbed projectiles revolve around Ness before healing him, it takes longer to reduce your accumulated damage.
6. PKT has tighter controls compared to Brawl. Brawl had the most controllable PKT to date.
7. Dair is weaker and has a sweetspot now.
8. Bair is weaker and has a sweetspot now.
9. Yo-yos don't hit while charging anymore. This can be seen as a nerf or a buff, but with how ledges work in this game, I think I would have preferred them having hitboxes while charging.
10. Dash attack sparkles are much smaller too.

In addition to these nerfs, there are a few things in Brawl that I hated that didn't get changed.

1. PKT2 STOPS when it hits something. That means if someone gets in the way while you're recovering, you'll most likely not get enough distance to make it to the ledge.
2. Bat is still slow.

Having mained Ness since 64, I've never had thoughts of dropping him. Until now. Now I'm not so sure...
1. Seems the same as brawl honestly
2. Ness definitely has followups from dthrow. I tested that alot last night.
3. Ness is one of the characters who can spike with a mulihit move. Yes Fair is that move.
4. Kills at a respectable percent but you can dthrow uair for kills now
5. PSI magnet can still be jump cancelled on absorption.
6. PKT is EASIER to control than brawl in this game.
7. Dair does 12% and it always had sweetspot. It only meteors on the first active frame otherwise it hits sideways.
8. Bair does 15% and same rules as dair, just like before
9. Doesnt hit while charging though upsmash is one strong hit throughout the move. Also hits behind then front and behind again.. Dsmash sends them straight out and down. Seems to guarantee 3 hits.
10. Dash attack hits quite far.

1. PKT2 slightly slows down not stops.
2. Bat kills really good at 100% on mario, even untipped. Dtilt trips 90% of the time and combos into it for free. Dtilt is also extremely mashable like melee

I dont know where you're getting your info from but I answered it and double checked to make sure I'm accurate as possible.

ThatPersonGuy

Smash Cadet
Honestly reading about Ness's status in this game is like a roller coaster of emotion. When we aren't finding out how Ness is totally Mid-High we're figuring out how horrible he is. I've decided to wait until US release to see the final verdict.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Honestly reading about Ness's status in this game is like a roller coaster of emotion. When we aren't finding out how Ness is totally Mid-High we're figuring out how horrible he is. I've decided to wait until US release to see the final verdict.
We posted at almost the same time so you probably didnt see it but check my post. Alot of these things I've tested with @ Yink Yink yesterday.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
1. Seems the same as brawl honestly
2. Ness definitely has followups from dthrow. I tested that alot last night.
3. Ness is one of the characters who can spike with a mulihit move. Yes Fair is that move.
4. Kills at a respectable percent but you can dthrow uair for kills now
5. PSI magnet can still be jump cancelled on absorption.
6. PKT is EASIER to control than brawl in this game.
7. Dair does 12% and it always had sweetspot. It only meteors on the first active frame otherwise it hits sideways.
8. Bair does 15% and same rules as dair, just like before
9. Doesnt hit while charging though upsmash is one strong hit throughout the move. Also hits behind then front and behind again.. Dsmash sends them straight out and down. Seems to guarantee 3 hits.
10. Dash attack hits quite far.

1. PKT2 slightly slows down not stops.
2. Bat kills really good at 100% on mario, even untipped. Dtilt trips 90% of the time and combos into it for free. Dtilt is also extremely mashable like melee

I dont know where you're getting your info from but I answered it and double checked to make sure I'm accurate as possible.
1. Feels longer to me. Not Melee long, but not as fast as Brawl.
2. With proper DI an an ASAP air dodge? I've seen multiple matches (FOW for example) with Ness players being completely unable to combo out of the dthrow.
3. It might have a new edgeguard gimmick, but it's still sacrificing a lot of former versatility it had. I'd rather have a more useful defensive move and damage source for combos as opposed to an edgeguard trick.
4. Overall though, it was nerfed. Killed anyone anywhere at about 130% in BRawl. Kills anyone anywhere at about 150% now. I'm still convinced with proper DI (or vectoring, w/e you wanna call it), and a well timed air dodge, you canescape dthrow combos.
5. Is that so? I might have overlooked that in an attempt to roll and spot dodge. My mistake. However, if they took away the option to roll and spot dodge, it's still a nerf.
6. Felt a whole lot clunkier to me. To be fair, I hate the 3DS circle pad. I might have just been struggling with that.
7. Now I could be wrong about this with my limited time with the game, but I swear dair had a positioning sweetspot now as well as the timing one. I was always aware that it only spiked when it came out, and knocked sideways afterwards, but that was the ENTIRE hitbox.
8. Pretty much the same as above. Swear it had a positioning sweetspot.
9. If the smashes can justify their new charge mechanic with KO potential (because they kinda sucked at netting kills in Brawl), then I'll be okay with it. I don't have a particularly strong opinion about them yet. I'm just kinda worried.
10. Ness' dash attack always went really far, but they had bigger sparkles in the past. Even if it goes the same distance away from Ness, I don't see why they had to reduce the size of the individual sparkles. That makes it less likely to hit airborne opponents.

1. I said stop just for the sake of ease. I know how it actually worked. It took whatever distance you had left to travel and cut it in half. It's still annoying that they didn't change that, even with Lucas gone (his PKT2 didn't stop when it hit things). They really should have just given all the good qualities of Lucas to Ness. What annoys me also is that it doesn't even have to hit an opponent to get cut short. I've had people just throw certain projectiles at PKT2 and cut it short.
2. It was mashable in Brawl too, but the priority made it kinda useless. But if you say it trips "90% of the time" then that sounds nice. I didn't get to mess around with dtilt enough. But do bear in mind that dtilt had a 50% chance to trip in Brawl too.

A lot of my judgement came from a short time period in which I had access to a japanese Smash 4 on my friend's DS, as well as watching just about every Ness video that's been posted ever. So far, I'm not impressed.
You've also got to remember that a lot of people theorized that Ness could be mid-high tier in Brawl too. Where did he end up? Pretty darn low.

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
I haven't gotten a chance to play as Ness yet (obviously, I don't have the game), but everything you're saying is going against what I've been hearing about him. To my knowledge, Ness has been improved overall from Brawl to SSB4. I can't confirm this with my own experience, but I've heard a lot of good things from people that have played the game. I usually don't take people's opinions on characters seriously, for example, many people said Mega Man is horrible, I played the Demo and...that's not the case at all. He's just so different, being skilled with other characters doesn't transfer to him well. All your saying about Ness sounds very negative, but I bet that when I get the game, I'll be just as good as ever with him. Perhaps you haven't quite adjusted to Ness's changes and are taking that as Ness being bad. It could also be that you're just not good with him anymore, in this game anyway. I've seen people completely dominate with Ness in some videos.
I'll remain positive about :4ness:, thank you very much. By the way, scrub tiers.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Well I have the game to throughly test these things. For the dthrow stuff, the cpu airdodges as soon as possible. The timing is a bit tight sometimes and since its 3DS its much harder to do but its possible. killed peach at around 100%. bthrow kills mario in the middle of BF at 130%. dtilt mash is extremely fast. I dont recall brawl being to that extent. Its like tryin to mash in mario party. Cant really go by videos too much cause people are still trying to play it like previous smash games, which is wrong.

I rather not roll from absorbing since its more commited. Jumping is the best option as you can attack immediately after it. If you want to jump and airdodge, feel free. Ness can SH airdodge and attack right as it ends, either a nair, fair or uair.

as for PKT2, thats why custom moves exist. You dont have to worry about that.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
How do you know the CPU airdodges ASAP? And does it DI correctly?
Mario in the middle of BF at 130% is alright. Still gotta remember that at that damage, Brawl bthrow would have killed Bowser from the opposite side of FD.

Even if rolling isn't always the best option, it was another option that was taken away.
I'd also still like to confirm whether or not dair and bair have spacing sweetspots now. Ness doesn't need any of that ****.

Custom moves are meh. I don't really care for them since they won't be usable online or in tournaments.

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
Well I have the game to throughly test these things. For the dthrow stuff, the cpu airdodges as soon as possible. The timing is a bit tight sometimes and since its 3DS its much harder to do but its possible. killed peach at around 100%. bthrow kills mario in the middle of BF at 130%. dtilt mash is extremely fast. I dont recall brawl being to that extent. Its like tryin to mash in mario party. Cant really go by videos too much cause people are still trying to play it like previous smash games, which is wrong.

I rather not roll from absorbing since its more commited. Jumping is the best option as you can attack immediately after it. If you want to jump and airdodge, feel free. Ness can SH airdodge and attack right as it ends, either a nair, fair or uair.

as for PKT2, thats why custom moves exist. You dont have to worry about that.
I have a couple questions if you don't mind answering them for me (you don't have to). How are Ness's yoyo attacks? I always used the up smash far more than the down smash. Is the down smash faster or more useful this time? Also, how is PK Flash? I never see anyone use it, so I haven't seen if it's faster or not.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
How do you know the CPU airdodges ASAP? And does it DI correctly?
Mario in the middle of BF at 130% is alright. Still gotta remember that at that damage, Brawl bthrow would have killed Bowser from the opposite side of FD.

Even if rolling isn't always the best option, it was another option that was taken away.
I'd also still like to confirm whether or not dair and bair have spacing sweetspots now. Ness doesn't need any of that ****.

Custom moves are meh. I don't really care for them since they won't be usable online or in tournaments.
lvl9 cpus mash when they are able to do something. I've tested it with a bunch of things, including grab releases.

I answered about those 2 moves already. Its at its strongest if you hit with the first frame of it. As long as its the first frame or maybe first few frames, it'll be the strong hit.

Who said they wont be used for tournaments? You shouldnt assume things.
I have a couple questions if you don't mind answering them for me (you don't have to). How are Ness's yoyo attacks? I always used the up smash far more than the down smash. Is the down smash faster or more useful this time? Also, how is PK Flash? I never see anyone use it, so I haven't seen if it's faster or not.
They lose the active charge hitbox but better everywhere else. They seem faster on startup. PK Flash doesnt seem different to me.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Level 9s may mash, but DI might not be a factor.

And I know you did, but you didn't address if there's a placement hitbox on them. There are moves that require both positioning AND timing for the sweetspot (like Brawl's knee of justice). If you're saying that there isn't a positioning sweetspot, then goodie.

I'll wait and see about the cutom moves, but I'm thinking they won't be.

Don't get me wrong though. I WANT Ness to be good. I just... wasn't impressed from my experiences so far. I'm actually hoping for you to prove all of my points wrong, which is why I keep bringing them up.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Well thats the thing. Hitboxes usually change during the move. Say the first frame of it, the hitbox is really small then it gets bigger the frames after. It gives the illusion of a sweetspot even though its just because the hitbox got bigger for it to connect. For dair, I had a harder time getting the sourspot then the sweetspot. Bairs sourspot from what I remember hits them in an awkward angle so it shouldnt be anything to fret over.

joniho

Smash Cadet
Don't even bother trying to recover off stage with PK Thunder against Rosalina.

Rosalina's Gravitational Pull (Down-B) eats PK Thunder. She doesn't even have to be very close.

Last edited:
Top Bottom