• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The PSI Powered Youth: Game Play General

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Omega Palutena's is almost a direct clone of FD minus the awful awful background.
WHAT!? FD's background might not be the most competitively easy stage to see stuff on but it's freaking beautiful man! ;_;

Your punishment is you have to come to one of the Sydney tournaments now. Yep, no avoiding it. Clash of the Ness mains, all that jazz. :3

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
WHAT!? FD's background might not be the most competitively easy stage to see stuff on but it's freaking beautiful man! ;_;

Your punishment is you have to come to one of the Sydney tournaments now. Yep, no avoiding it. Clash of the Ness mains, all that jazz. :3
I can't play FD on a CRT without wearing sunglasses

come to Zeal tomorrow :^) (we've got NSW guys coming https://www.facebook.com/VitalityEvents/posts/896297143722953 )

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I think Ness does great on stages without platforms. FD is still my favorite.

Btw, again on the subject of Omega stages, I think Duck Hunt is his best Omega stage because you can easily tell where the stage is no matter how high up or zoomed in the camera is (since the sky only goes over the ground). Why is this helpful? I'm sure you've all done that one Ness combo dthrow, fair, fair, fair, all the way off the stage. Then there are times that you're like "where the hell am I relative to the stage now?" because the camera zoomed in and you're so far into the air. Duck Hunt's sky boundaries make that not a problem.

It may seem small, but I like it because of that.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
how good is 0% dthrow -> Fair -> grab on fast fallers? i know most of them can hit you out of it but is it useful as a mixup?

Noa.

Smash Master
Who is dthrow fair not working on at 0%? You're probably not inputting it quickly enough.

Right now my favorite stages are Halberd and Castle Siege. Being able to kill people with uair sub 110 is great. Getting the first kill in a game is really good for Ness and Halberd lets you do that.

The first part of Castle Siege is small so it means that you can get in on your opponent very easily. The second transformation is a walkoff, so our biggest weakness, our recovery, is not an issue. And the third transformation is pretty normal.

Stages are really more suited to player preference anyways. Obviously our character plays into it but almost any stage can be justified.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
how good is 0% dthrow -> Fair -> grab on fast fallers? i know most of them can hit you out of it but is it useful as a mixup?
Fast fallers tend to mess up my grab combos more than others, whom I like using this as a mixup: dthrow - fair - land on bf/sv platform - shieldgrab - dthrow - fair

Noa.

Smash Master
One fair is always guaranteed. Multiple ones is on a situation by situation basis. More research should be done on the reliance of fair combos. I want to go into the lab with them when I get the wii u version myself.

And so many Ness players in Australia lol.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
i might try some frame counting of hitstun when i get a GCC adapter.
edit: wait, how does DI work in this game? isnt it the same as brawl? and is there sdi?

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I can't play FD on a CRT without wearing sunglasses

come to Zeal tomorrow :^) (we've got NSW guys coming https://www.facebook.com/VitalityEvents/posts/896297143722953 )
Ahhh sorry mate, got family over and a bit tied up right now hahaha. I'll be at the next Smash City, though if an opportunity arises to go to stuff before that I may take the opportunity. Anyway i'll keep you informed! :)

Australia: Land of the Ness mains. In fact, someone should get a map of Australia and literally cover it with Ness' face, also putting in a couple Brawl Lucas faces around Sydney and Melbourne too. =P

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Idk, I feel like dthrow, fair isn't even guaranteed on all characters even at lower percents if they DI correctly and DJ+airdodge with perfect timing.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Dthrow FH Fair isn't guaranteed on most chars actually if they DI correctly, they force us to SH sometimes instead if we want the combo. And there is a small subset of characters that i'm beginning to believe now can possibly avoid tboth; but i'm not sure just yet. I suspect they won't be able to because another way you can get the Fair combo in (at higher percents) is by dashing forward just before you FH Fair them after the Dthrow. So it's like if they're at 45% or something, you go Dthrow ---> dash forward slightly ---> FH Fair

And I suspect this might also work at early percents versus these characters, or at least force them into a compromising position.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I think Fox for example can escape dthrow fair at 0%.

Met some cool Sydney smashers today and somebody namedropped you Luco, good day at Zeal.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I think Fox for example can escape dthrow fair at 0%.

Met some cool Sydney smashers today and somebody namedropped you Luco, good day at Zeal.
Awww really? I'm curious now, I wanna hear what they said! :D

Uuuuuuunless it was bad, I know i've had a bit of a history of making people in the Sydney scene really annoyed before. >_> <_<

*sigh*

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Awww really? I'm curious now, I wanna hear what they said! :D

Uuuuuuunless it was bad, I know i've had a bit of a history of making people in the Sydney scene really annoyed before. >_> <_<

*sigh*
Nah it wasn't bad, I foolishly asked if Jamwa was sandbagging and got told that the two of you are actually quite good with Ness in Melee.

On topic: made top 16, got rocked by a D3 and TL. Bracket was not kind to me. I really couldn't find a way in against either of those characters (top players though, I think they were 3rd and 4th respectively).

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Guys is it just me, or does Boozer get out of PKF for like... free? Like easier than most characters. I can't even land a grab on him at like point blank range. Which is weird because he got trapped extra hard in Brawl, now it seems like it's the opposite.

EDIT: I just realized I used the word "like" 4 times in a 2 line post. I speak like a teenage girl >_>
I don't even

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Guys is it just me, or does Boozer get out of PKF for like... free? Like easier than most characters. I can't even land a grab on him at like point blank range. Which is weird because he got trapped extra hard in Brawl, now it seems like it's the opposite.
At earlier percents, he can tank the flames and jab through it. Later on, I'm not sure though.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Yeah it's just because Bowser at like, below 50% doesn't flinch for the majority of the duration of PK Fire. So pre-50% you have to do other stuff. Which, considering he's Bowser, isn't too hard. :)

Noa.

Smash Master
I totally would not have realized that pk Fire interacted with those bowser mechanics in that way. Then again I never fight bowsers outside of for glory.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Yeah it's just because Bowser at like, below 50% doesn't flinch for the majority of the duration of PK Fire. So pre-50% you have to do other stuff. Which, considering he's Bowser, isn't too hard. :)
Bah, but after 50% dthrow will just about stop comboing into guaranteed fairs. That's a blower.

Noa.

Smash Master
I was looking to post in this thread, and I was doubting it ever existed lol. I found it on the second page. I find this thread useful to talk about Ness's different moves and mechanics. It's a useful place to discuss new ideas we have and to slowly build our metagamet through brainstorming ideas.

Should we make another thread that fulfills this purpose or continue using this one?

ilysm

sleepy
I think we should just continue using this one. Seems a waste to just make a new thread.

Speaking of, has anyone found anything truly useful for PSI Magnet's buffed windbox? Please say yes.

Noa.

Smash Master
I only sometimes use it to mixup when I'm landing during a juggle. Usually if they're going for a ground punish such as a charged smash or dash grab.

Top Bottom