• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm stuck whether if Emmy fits the middle or last one, I guess that latter is more graceful and fitting for Emmy.
I like the Bowling Ball for Luke, it definitely fits well with his character, especially the down special. :laugh:
I pretty much think the rest of the moveset fits both of them well overall.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm stuck whether if Emmy fits the middle or last one, I guess that latter is more graceful and fitting for Emmy.
I like the Bowling Ball for Luke, it definitely fits well with his character, especially the down special. :laugh:
I pretty much think the rest of the moveset fits both of them well.
I went with the middle one for her Down Special because I recall a cutscene in Azran Legacy where she dived down and kicked the gun off from one of those Targent grunts to save Inspector Grosky. For her up special I wasn't sure whether to go for the middle or first one.

And yeah, Luke is a bit of a clumsy and reckless battler so I felt that he just had to have that head crash one. :laugh:

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

You should add this image to the OP if you want people to plan their Mii Fighters as one of the Layton characters.
I couldn't find one for Emmy since I don't have access to Deviantart now.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

You should add this image to the OP if you want people to plan their Mii Fighters as Layton.
I couldn't find one for Emmy since I don't have access to Deviantart now.
You can find plenty through a simple Google image search. Just type in "Professor Layton mii" and you will find quite a few good ones. Although I've made some myself as well with some tweaks done here and there. I think they turned out pretty accurate although I say so myself. :p

But yeah, I guess I'll add a Professor Layton Mii's section sometime soon once we've got some more ideas in. :)

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I'll probably end up making 3 seperate Mii Fighters - Sword for Layton (obvious reasons), Brawler for Emmy (closest to her actual fight scenes) and Gunner for Luke (I don't really see him being a close-up fighter)
The movesets I will probably decide when I actually play the game

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Now all we can really do is hope for a yellow short dress option and a blue cap and blue coat option and I think were pretty much set.
As well as a red ribbon for Flora (There is one in Mii Plaza and if from what we've seen so far is anything to go by, should be in Smash too hopefully....)

I think the regular yellow outfit will probably suit Emmy about fine I guess.... Besides the lower parts which aren't really the right colours.....

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Ah.. I didn't really notice the yellow dress, there's way too many outfits for the Miis for me to count. @-@
That yellow dress surprisingly perfectly fitting with Emmy, I hope we can customize the shoes and pants's color.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ah.. I didn't really notice the yellow dress, there's way too many outfits for the Miis for me to count. @-@
That yellow dress surprisingly perfectly fitting with Emmy, I hope we can customize the shoes and pants's color.
From what I've seen, you can really only change the general outfit or the hats. Which is a bit of a shame, it would have been nice to be able to change the lower parts as well. (But I suppose any more costumization options for the Mii's and those who aren't interested in them would throw a meltdown over them.....)

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Are you sure? Maybe we have to wait till near-release to find out the full visual customization options in the game. I think there's more clothing content for Miis, perhaps more than 300 options.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Are you sure? Maybe we have to wait till near-release to find out the full visual customization options in the game. I think there's more clothing content for Miis, perhaps more than 300 options.
Quite sure indeed.

They seem to change their whole outfit from what it looks like.

Anyway, in terms of potential outfits for the Layton characters.

Hershel Layton

This would do just about fine, the suit should be more in his colour though.

Luke
Not sure if there's an outfit like his at Mii Plaza but hopefully there's something like a British schoolboy's outfit.

Flora

The Cowgirl dress seems about close enough to Flora's usual dress so I think she just needs the Red Ribbon confirmed and she's more or less good to go.

Emmy

I think the normal female yellow outfit is probably about fine for her. She doesn't need a hat so no worries there.

At least imo. :/

Last edited:

Stalwartguardian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alarith
3DS FC
0963-0545-3127
Huh, looks like I was busy with school while this was going on :(. Oh well. Looking forward to Miis now.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I know, I'd much rather he'd be playable. But I just don't see it happening now. A Layton mii is more or less the closest thing in us getting him in Smash Bros at this point imo. (Unless the new games get hacked and wind up being able to use model hacks again, but that's gonna take a number of years I'd assume)

I hope he at least gets a nod as a trophy though....

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet
Well, if the recently revealed list of composers is in fact a complete list, that means there are no composers from the Professor Layton series, so that makes his inclusion even less likely now.

Except Yuzo Koshiro, who worked on "Layton Brothers", the iOS and Android spin-off, but he's a true veteran, composing for many other games as well, including some tracks from Kid Icarus: Uprising, Streets of Rage, Shenmue, Etrian Odyssey... and Brawl, so I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Let's all still collectively hope Sakurai didn't forget about Layton when creating the trophy gallery, at least.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, if the recently revealed list of composers is in fact a complete list, that means there are no composers from the Professor Layton series, so that makes his inclusion even less likely now.

Except Yuzo Koshiro, who worked on "Layton Brothers", the iOS and Android spin-off, but he's a true veteran, composing for many other games as well, including some tracks from Kid Icarus: Uprising, Streets of Rage, Shenmue, Etrian Odyssey... and Brawl, so I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Let's all still collectively hope Sakurai didn't forget about Layton when creating the trophy gallery, at least.
Ah well I highly doubt the composers list would have helped Layton much anyway. Besides maybe hearing a song or two with a bit more Layton-ish flavour in it or something.... maybe...

How likely do you guys think a Professor Layton AT would be?
I'm not sure we would be seeing him as an AT as much as I'd love to. Hopefully he will at least show up as a Trophy though....

Last edited:

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet
I hope for an AT, that's the most deserving role he will ever get that's not playable.
That or as a boss in Smash Run, right?
Run, cowards, for the abominable professor Layton will crush your inferior fighter's minds... with PUZZLES!

...Yeah, Assist Trophy would work.

Last edited:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I'm a big fan of the series myself, and while Layton's chances for being playable doesn't seem to be the greatest at the moment - please do add my name to the supporters list. Love the characters in this series!

Those ideas for the Miis are fascinating too! Actually got me interested in the Mii Fighters at last. xD

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
I'm really impressed with what you all have come up with. Even though he isn't incredibly likely, anything is possible; and even if he isn't in I will be satisfied with some trophies and a Mii (and hopefully at least one song). Also, please add me to the supporters list, since you haven't yet. I'd still love to see him. :)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Maybe we can get an amazing remix of his main theme to play on the Pictochat stage. :laugh:

Squishyfrog

Smash Rookie
NNID
Squishyfrog
So, I just finished The Diabolical Box and just... the feels, man. ;__; I definitely think it was better than The Curious Village, at least in terms of story. Puzzle quality felt pretty much the same, which is obviously a good thing. =)

...The only problem is after seeing Layton have that epic sword fight with Anton I want him Smash even more now. =P

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
So, I just finished The Diabolical Box and just... the feels, man. ;__; I definitely think it was better than The Curious Village, at least in terms of story. Puzzle quality felt pretty much the same, which is obviously a good thing. =)

...The only problem is after seeing Layton have that epic sword fight with Anton I want him Smash even more now. =P
Are you just now playing them in order? If so, you're going to be in for a big treat with Unwound/Lost Future. It's one of the few games that has ever actually made me tear up, and it's my personal favorite in the series.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I love what you guys have done here! It seems like a really and truly friendly community - it's so polite and civil! I think Professor Layton himself would be proud!

What really intrigued me were the moveset discussions. I've tried my own hand at creating a moveset for the Professor, though I don't think it's nearly as refined or as polished as you guys' ones. I had the idea of him being a terrain manipulation / keepaway fighter, akin to Peacock (Skullgirls) or Lambda-11 (BlazBlue). I'd love to see a puzzle-based fighter in Smash some day! The real head-scratcher is just how would such a fighter even work? Quite a challenging brainteaser, to be sure, but I think it could be done!

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
We have enough 3rd Parties as is. If we get another 3rd Party it should be Snake returning no questions asked. Maybe a Trophy but that's it!

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet
We have enough 3rd Parties as is. If we get another 3rd Party it should be Snake returning no questions asked. Maybe a Trophy but that's it!
Did you really have to come all the way here just to say we're wrong because we'd like to see Layton...? We all know it's unlikely, there's no need to point that out.
If you want to talk about how Snake's return is obviously the best choice in (the currently unlikely) case of another third-party, there are other, more apt threads for that.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Uhm... ignoring the current potential Layton vs Snake flamewar..... Did anyone else get a Layton-esque vibe from this theme? It's at about 3:31 in this video.

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet
Uhm... ignoring the current potential Layton vs Snake flamewar..... Did anyone else get a Layton-esque vibe from this theme? It's at about 3:31 in this video.

Sorry, sorry. I'm certainly not trying to start a fight, and I doubt this Skyfox fellow is as well. It's just not really necessary to come into a thread dedicated to a character just to say another character is better, and I couldn't resist pointing that out.
I have nothing against Snake or against anyone who prefers Snake to Layton, for the record.

Anyway, yes, the music. It really is the same sort of style as most of the Professor Layton soundtrack, but it's most likely unrelated.
Unless Smash Bros. 3DS has some sort of puzzle mini-game mode that involves Layton.
Which I strongly doubt. It's probably the theme of the Trophy Hoard or something calm like that.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sorry, sorry. I'm certainly not trying to start a fight, and I doubt this Skyfox fellow is as well. It's just not really necessary to come into a thread dedicated to a character just to say another character is better, and I couldn't resist pointing that out.
I have nothing against Snake or against anyone who prefers Snake to Layton, for the record.

Anyway, yes, the music. It really is the same sort of style as most of the Professor Layton soundtrack, but it's most likely unrelated.
Unless Smash Bros. 3DS has some sort of puzzle mini-game mode that involves Layton.
Which I strongly doubt. It's probably the theme of the Trophy Hoard or something calm like that.
I understand, just trying to move the thread away a bit before it would turn into a big argument is all.

And yeah, I didn't really mean much by it, just that it has quite a similar style to some of the soundtrack in the Layton series. I'm not sure if they where done by the same composers though. Most likely not and it's just a coincidence but still. :p

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

i suppose there is something layton like about that version of the main theme

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet
I understand, just trying to move the thread away a bit before it would turn into a big argument is all.

And yeah, I didn't really mean much by it, just that it has quite a similar style to some of the soundtrack in the Layton series. I'm not sure if they where done by the same composers though. Most likely not and it's just a coincidence but still. :p
Well, as I said earlier in this thread, if the list of composers posted on the official site is indeed a list of ALL of the composers, then there is no composer that worked on the (main) Layton series.
It does have a large number of immensely talented people, though. Some pretty big names.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, as I said earlier in this thread, if the list of composers posted on the official site is indeed a list of ALL of the composers, then there is no composer that worked on the (main) Layton series.
It does have a large number of immensely talented people, though. Some pretty big names.
The list is mainly those who have their work on the 3DS version if I recall correctly... So yeah, it sounding similar to most of the songs in the Layton series is most likely just a coincidence.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

Dat festival music though~

I love it. Reminds me of Layton, but also a bit of Disgaea. That makes me happy. <3

Anorak

Smash Rookie
Add me to the list of supporters.
Still hoping he appears in some form or possibly as a DLC?

Top Bottom