• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
C'mon, you guys can't just give up. But either way, I'm sure he's getting in through one form or another. Char, assist, or reg trophy.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
That Twitter post by Sakurai makes me very suspicious.. why would he have that film?

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Last time I checked, Sakurai had mentioned that his Twitter account doesn't correlate to Smash Bros unless he specifically mentions Smash Bros. It probably doesn't mean anything except that he's a fan of the series.
Which actually means a lot now that I think about it

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Last time I checked, Sakurai had mentioned that his Twitter account doesn't correlate to Smash Bros unless he specifically mentions Smash Bros. It probably doesn't mean anything except that he's a fan of the series.
Which actually means a lot now that I think about it
Who knows... :troll:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If Sakurai is a fan of the series then surely he wouldn't mind going out of his way to at least get it a trophy like Rayman right? Or an Assist Trophy? Or any type of acknowledgement? please....? :teeth:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Professor Layton for sticker status. :laugh:

In reality, I wonder if Sakurai is a fan.. if so, that would make a trophy much more likely. And with trophies come.. a HD model!!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Professor Layton for sticker status. :laugh:

In reality, I wonder if Sakurai is a fan.. if so, that would make a trophy much more likely. And with trophies come.. a HD model!!
.....Have Stickers even been confirmed yet.....? Ah well guess that would be better than nothing, it better be some OP power up though. >:T

An HD Trophy would be quite cool indeed.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
well maybe not the ones who dont appear nintendo at all but everyone else yes
Uh...no? I think Professor Layton's much more important to Nintendo than Starfox and F-Zero combined at this point :I

Ekazumon

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ekazumon
3DS FC
5215-0401-0822
I think the best we could probably hope for Layton in this installment is him getting the Rayman treatment, that is to say a Trophy, or maybe even an Assist Trophy if we are very lucky. (and if they would even do that)

Even though the series is published by Nintendo outside of Japan, everything is fully done by Level-5 themselves in Japan with this series nowadays so it's more or less a full third party series.
Does publishing really affect Layton's chances of getting in? Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't almost (if not all) of the Sonic and Megaman games published by his respective company both inside and outside of Japan? The only disadvantage for Layton not being published by Nintendo in Japan is the voice acting, but that shouldn't be a problem for either Nintendo or Level-5.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
not really, to level-5 sure but you cant say a third party franchise is important to nintendo
"You can't say a third-party franchise is important to Nintendo"
That has to be the single dumbest thing I've ever read in my life...Sonic and Megaman are arguably more important to Nintendo than 50% of the game's roster, that's why they're featured on the game...stop undermining the popularity and importance of third-parties, because like Megaman, Layton is, at heart, a Nintendo character.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
There's been more Layton games being heavily promoted by Nintendo then there have been F-Zero or starfox.

And I don't mean recently, too.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Does publishing really affect Layton's chances of getting in? Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't almost (if not all) of the Sonic and Megaman games published by his respective company both inside and outside of Japan? The only disadvantage for Layton not being published by Nintendo in Japan is the voice acting, but that shouldn't be a problem for either Nintendo or Level-5.
Oh no I didn't imply it like that, I just meant that the series is fully owned by Level-5 (which yeah so are Megaman, Sonic and Pac-Man for their respective companies) it just means that they need to go through some extra licensing stuff for him like any other third party series.

Although since we do have a Rayman trophy, I think Sakurai will at least try and go out of his way to give a friendly nod for certain notable third party franchises that have been somewhat close to Nintendo as well. Which the Professor Layton series is certainly a part of. Hence why even if Layton doesn't become playable, I would at least want to see the series get acknowledged through Trophies or perhaps even an Assist Trophy (if we are lucky and they would do that) and whatnot....

Oh also, welcome to Smashboards. ^_^

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
"You can't say a third-party franchise is important to Nintendo"
That has to be the single dumbest thing I've ever read in my life...Sonic and Megaman are arguably more important to Nintendo than 50% of the game's roster, that's why they're featured on the game...stop undermining the popularity and importance of third-parties, because like Megaman, Layton is, at heart, a Nintendo character.
no they're on the roster because they are popular choices with the fans important to nintendo as a company is not what gets you into smash

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
no they're on the roster because they are popular choices with the fans important to nintendo as a company is not what gets you into smash
sure, but it helps.

either way, it's not like Layton is unpopular, he's one of the biggest requests in the UK, I think.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
sure, but it helps.

either way, it's not like Layton is unpopular, he's one of the biggest requests in the UK, I think.
Yeah I can vouch that Layton is one of the UK's most wanted characters as he tends to pop up quite often in terms of character requests. Not sure how much that would help him in the big picture though....

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I can vouch for that too, he's probably one of the most wanted alongside Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles is very popular here from what I've seen) and strangely King K Rool.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I just got Miracle Mask for 9.99 at GameStop recently, it's ridiculous low for a quality game like Layton. O.o
Well that's quite the bargain I'd say. You're in luck.

(Then again, I suppose Miracle Mask has probably dropped in price quite a lot by now. Or at least pre-owned Layton games usually do (but I guess that's kinda obvious))

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not sure, might just also be GameStop doing some sort of bargain deal.

I have found a brand new copy of Unwound/Lost Future once at a local Super Market about a year or two ago which was on sale for just £10 and since that game has been out of print for quite some time, it was quite cool to come across a brand new unopened retail copy of that game, especially since most retailers sell pre owned DS Layton games nowadays. (at least most that I know of)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Have you managed to come across any pre-owned Pandora's Box and Last Specter copies recently?
Because those are the only Layton games I have a hard time looking for.
Yeah I do come across them occasionally. Wether it's at the usual Game store or certain stores that sell pre-owned electronics, games and dvd's etc.

If not that then try a Pawn Shop or certain online stores such as Amazon.com (if you can)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I usually don't buy online and I have never been to a pawn shop, so. I don't know how it works from there, maybe I should probably wait patiently and search for more Gamestops or wait for the inevitable DS VC to come out so I can get the Layton games for a low price.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I usually don't buy online and I have never been to a pawn shop, so. I don't know how it works from there, maybe I should probably wait patiently and search for more Gamestops or wait for the inevitable DS VC to come out so I can get the Layton games for a low price.
Well if you have a Wii U then I guess you could probably wait and see if Ninty releases the DS Layton games for the Wii U eShop (they are releasing DS Virtual Console games now right? Or soonish at least.....?)

Perhaps if you can, see if you can ask at your local GameStop if there is a used copy of the Elysian Box and/or Last Specter's Call in any other GameStop stores and see if they could probably have it send over to theirs for you..... Or if it's close enough for you to travel to...

Ekazumon

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ekazumon
3DS FC
5215-0401-0822
Well if you have a Wii U then I guess you could probably wait and see if Ninty releases the DS Layton games for the Wii U eShop (they are releasing DS Virtual Console games now right? Or soonish at least.....)

Perhaps if you can, see if you can ask at your local GameStop if there is a used copy of the Elysian Box and/or Last Specter's Call in any other GameStop stores and see if they could probably have it send over to theirs for you..... Or if it's close enough for you to travel to...
Well Akihiro Hino has expressed interest in porting the Layton games to WiiU. Just waiting for Nintendo to do its part...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well Akihiro Hino has expressed interest in porting the Layton games to WiiU. Just waiting for Nintendo to do its part...
Oh yeah he said that sometime ago didn't he? (Then again, he expressed interest in quite a few other things didn't he....?) Guess we might hear more from that sometime in the future......

Squishyfrog

Smash Rookie
NNID
Squishyfrog
Hey, could I be added to the supporters list? I'm not extremely familiar with the Professor Layton series, having only played The Curious Village, and while I think at this point his chances for being playable aren't that great I still think he would be a great addition to Smash and I'm confident he'll at least appear as a trophy.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hey, could I be added to the supporters list? I'm not extremely familiar with the Professor Layton series, having only played The Curious Village, and while I think at this point his chances for being playable aren't that great I still think he would be a great addition to Smash and I'm confident he'll at least appear as a trophy.
Sure you can, I've included you to the supporters list. ^_^

We've got 64 supporters now!

Ekazumon

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ekazumon
3DS FC
5215-0401-0822
Sure you can, I've included you to the supporters list. ^_^

We've got 64 supporters now!
I forgot to ask if I could be a supporter. I have high hopes for Layton to appear in some form. I love Layton if you couldn't tell by the top hat. :)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Level-5 isn't credited nor is he in back of the boxart as one of the special guest in the game. Layton's chances are dead now. :(
Wait, this is the boxart? What does this mean for every other third party candidate?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I figured as such. Oh well, Ubisoft apparently isn't credited either so perhaps there may be a chance he might receive a trophy at least? (Unless Rayman doesn't have a trophy for the 3DS version)

Ah well, I came to terms of Layton not making it in ages ago anyway and have been working on making sure my Layton Mii at least matches our good Professor as accurately as possible....

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's leaked boxart. And for people using the Ubisoft excuse:
This might clarify a few things.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69879448

"Some of you are a little confused how copyrights/trademarks work.

You only have to list the copyrights on the packaging for the properties you use on the packaging.
You don't have to list copyrights used in-game on the packaging when you do not use any of those things on the packaging.
Basically you're only referencing copyrights when you actually use them. You can consider the game and its packaging as two different 'products', if you will.

For example, the packaging does not show Rayman's copyright, but the game obviously contains a trophy containing his image (and therefore Ubisoft's copyright). This is simply because the package itself does not show Rayman.

The only assumption you can make on the packaging here is if you think they would show off Snake if he was in the game, since he's a third-party character, then you could assume he is 'deconfirmed'.... Though that is, of course, assuming they'd show him on the box and not keep him a secret."

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's leaked boxart. And for people using the Ubisoft excuse:
I suppose so, eitherway, for any other playable third parties, I highly doubt they would be playable at this point as I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be advertised on the back of the box either. Especially if this is supposed to be the final image of it and it apparently got leaked. So I think we can probably conclude that Snake is probably cut from the game and that there aren't any other third parties as playable characters at least.

Top Bottom