• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I love what you guys have done here! It seems like a really and truly friendly community - it's so polite and civil! I think Professor Layton himself would be proud!

What really intrigued me were the moveset discussions. I've tried my own hand at creating a moveset for the Professor, though I don't think it's nearly as refined or as polished as you guys' ones. I had the idea of him being a terrain manipulation / keepaway fighter, akin to Peacock (Skullgirls) or Lambda-11 (BlazBlue). I'd love to see a puzzle-based fighter in Smash some day! The real head-scratcher is just how would such a fighter even work? Quite a challenging brainteaser, to be sure, but I think it could be done!
Interestingly enough, the biggest Robin supporters tend to be analytical and logical, just like Robin. So it's not strange at all that Layton fans act like true gentlemen.

I'm sure that Sakurai would pull something interesting for Layton... perhaps a mixture of traps and projectiles?

Uhm... ignoring the current potential Layton vs Snake flamewar..... Did anyone else get a Layton-esque vibe from this theme? It's at about 3:31 in this video.

I definitely did. That's now my #1 Smash run song.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Guys...has anyone played Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright? Holy **** that game's dark!

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I've watched it.

Yeah, it's pretty dark until [SPOILERS]
DON'T SPOIL IT, although I have some theories on how the game will make itself seem less brutally gruesome.
I'm serious, I've never felt so uncomfortable after a game cutscene.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
DON'T SPOIL IT, although I have some theories on how the game will make itself seem less brutally gruesome.
I'm serious, I've never felt so uncomfortable after a game cutscene.
wasn't planning on it, that's why I just put [SPOILERS]

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I just realized that PL vs. PW just came out (I was going to do a pre-registration on Club Nintendo, but I forgot the very next day), it's currently out for 29.99 for me. I might buy it, but I want to save for the "new" 3DS and Smash Bros. :urg:
And I still got to beat Curious Village and Miracle Mask too, so perhaps that will keep the time going.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I just realized that PL vs. PW just came out (I was going to do a pre-registration on Club Nintendo, but I forgot the very next day), it's currently out for 29.99 for me. I might buy it, but I want to save for the "new" 3DS and Smash Bros. :urg:
And I still got to beat Curious Village and Miracle Mask too, so perhaps that will keep the time going.
Well at least you've got some stuff to preoccupy yourself with. Have fun with them for now. :)

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Interestingly enough, the biggest Robin supporters tend to be analytical and logical, just like Robin. So it's not strange at all that Layton fans act like true gentlemen.
That also explains why the Ridley supporters are brutal, yet intelligent.
And why Duck Hunt supporters laughed at Takamaru's deconfirmation.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Hey guys I want to get Professor Layton vs. Phoenix wright, but I haven't ever played a phoenix wright game before. Which PW games would y'all recommend I play so that I can have the best background on the characters and gameplay?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Uhm... ignoring the current potential Layton vs Snake flamewar..... Did anyone else get a Layton-esque vibe from this theme? It's at about 3:31 in this video.

I admittedly got more of a Kirby Triple Deluxe vibe out of it, but you can easily get Layton from that.

Hey guys I want to get Professor Layton vs. Phoenix wright, but I haven't ever played a phoenix wright game before. Which PW games would y'all recommend I play so that I can have the best background on the characters and gameplay?
The first one should be enough.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I guess you are who you support....
I support Pit and Palutena.

Altruistic yet awkward, playful and sardonic.

My word it'd actually true.

As an addendum to the above, I pose a question for the Layton crowd: I've played and beaten Pandora's Box and The Specter's Call (going with the EU names here) and would like to play more of the series. Which games would you recommend next?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well like with the Layton games, I would recommend starting in order of release (I believe they are planning to rerelease the original trilogy for the 3DS so I guess that might be a neat starting point if you're having trouble finding the games which have become quite rare to come across....)

As an addendum to the above, I pose a question for the Layton crowd: I've played and beaten Pandora's Box and The Specter's Call (going with the EU names here) and would like to play more of the series. Which games would you recommend next?
Hmm... well since you've already played some of the games. I guess I'd go with wrapping up the DS line first so I suppose Curious Village and Lost Future and then the 3DS ones afterwards.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
All of them. :V

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well like with the Layton games, I would recommend starting in order of release (I believe they are planning to rerelease the original trilogy for the 3DS so I guess that might be a neat starting point if you're having trouble finding the games which have become quite rare to come across....)

Hmm... well since you've already played some of the games. I guess I'd go with wrapping up the DS line first so I suppose Curious Village and Lost Future and then the 3DS ones afterwards.
Okie-doke. I'll get around to them eventually and see where the wind takes me. ^_^

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sure thing. ^_^

That does remind me though. I should go ahead and finish off my replay of Lost Future. Haven't really managed to get around to it ever since some other stuff came up. Might be a neat way to pass the time a little more for Smash 3DS release....

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just started catching up with the DLC episodes in PLvsAA. I have been neglecting to play many games I intended to finish over the summer, been busy doing other things (none of which involved much growing of my games design skills, which was also something I intended to do over the summer!). I want to finish up with this DLC and Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies before Smash 3DS comes out.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I sure hope Professor Layton and his series are at least given proper representation of some sort in this game. Exclusive games for the DS/3DS, and the series just has so much potential while being different from most of the other series represented in Smash.

A Professor Layton AT would even be nice at this point - perhaps participating in a sword fight of some kind? xD Though the puzzle series should at least get some representation. Some trophies too for sure I hope.

I've recently finished Azran Legacy and the game certainly blew me away! Though then again, all the PL titles I've played so far have all had both beautiful and sad endings. :0 PL vs AA is really tempting me now though.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
When you think about it, it makes sense. There are a lot of reasons why people can like a specific character, but one common reason is that they enjoy, or can relate to, their personality. Based on that, it would seem that it's likely for fans of a character to display personality traits similar to that of their character.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Sure thing. ^_^

That does remind me though. I should go ahead and finish off my replay of Lost Future. Haven't really managed to get around to it ever since some other stuff came up. Might be a neat way to pass the time a little more for Smash 3DS release....
Oh my gosh... That was the only game to ever make me cry...

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet
When you think about it, it makes sense. There are a lot of reasons why people can like a specific character, but one common reason is that they enjoy, or can relate to, their personality. Based on that, it would seem that it's likely for fans of a character to display personality traits similar to that of their character.
I don't know, I think there are quite a few people who associate characters with other things instead.
Like, say, people that want Ridley and King K.Rool because they've seen too many Godzilla movies as kids, so they find huge monstrous creatures that destroy everything appealing characters.

I'm still a Lucas supporter (though of course I've pretty much given up all hope now that the leaks have made Lucas' return seem so unlikely), so what would that make me...?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I saw the ending to unwound future at school, I might have teared up a little.

It would be weird if someone suddenly burst into tears in the middle of class, lol.

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
Guys...has anyone played Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright? Holy **** that game's dark!
Darker than the normal Layton games, yes. The story is very Phoenix Wright-dark.
I support Pit and Palutena.

Altruistic yet awkward, playful and sardonic.

My word it'd actually true.

If you've beaten Spectre's Call, you should go straight to the Eternal Diva, Miracle Mask and the Azran Legacy.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I don't know, I think there are quite a few people who associate characters with other things instead.
Like, say, people that want Ridley and King K.Rool because they've seen too many Godzilla movies as kids, so they find huge monstrous creatures that destroy everything appealing characters.

I'm still a Lucas supporter (though of course I've pretty much given up all hope now that the leaks have made Lucas' return seem so unlikely), so what would that make me...?
In any case, I'd be an interesting study.

Also, I bought PLVS.AA... AND I'M LOVING IT!!!!

My only gripe is Luke's voice actor... but even that's not a big deal, because Phoenix and Maya's voices are perfect...

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I finished Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright today...and I know it's bound to happen on a Layton story...but I certainly didn't expect that amount of **** to hit such a huge fan. I gotta say, the game was absolutely and positively amazing, everything was chock-full of fanservice, the cutscenes were awesome, the voice-acting was stellar, the gameplay mechanics perfectly blend both styles...I'd say it's up there with Unwound Future and Trials & Tribulations.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm happy to hear you guys enjoyed the game. I really enjoyed it too when I first beat it. It reminded me a lot of the original Layton trilogy. :)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm happy to hear you guys enjoyed the game. I really enjoyed it too when I first beat it. It reminded me a lot of the original Layton trilogy. :)
That's a really good thing. :)

After SSB4 releases, you should use your super mod powers and make a Layton convo. for all us supporters.

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet
The main criticisms I had about it would be that firstly, the gameplay (read: how difficult the puzzles are) is sometimes simplified a little, and secondly, I was pretty disappointed to find out--
(wait, is this considered a spoiler? all right, very mild spoiler below, if you've seen a trailer, you probably figured this out already)
that barely any of the other iconic characters from either series made an appearance in this game, because the four protagonists are taken to another place entirely - they missed out on some serious fanservice there.

Aside from those two things, it pretty much had everything a good crossover needs, and took over some great things from both franchises - such as the excellent soundtrack and Layton's post-story bonus stuff.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The main criticisms I had about it would be that firstly, the gameplay (read: how difficult the puzzles are) is sometimes simplified a little, and secondly, I was pretty disappointed to find out--
(wait, is this considered a spoiler? all right, very mild spoiler below, if you've seen a trailer, you probably figured this out already)
that barely any of the other iconic characters from either series made an appearance in this game, because the four protagonists are taken to another place entirely - they missed out on some serious fanservice there.

Aside from those two things, it pretty much had everything a good crossover needs, and took over some great things from both franchises - such as the excellent soundtrack and Layton's post-story bonus stuff.
Yeah the puzzles where indeed quite simplyfied. I suppose that was to give the Ace Attorney fans who never played a Layton game before a simple start to adjust and understand how the Layton series roughly worked.

And I agree about the lack of fanservice too. I guess I can understand during the main story but they should have kinda brought in more of the cast during the DLC episodes. I guess at least Chelmey, Barton and Edgeworth got their due time though, even though they already existed during the beginning and end of the main story somewhat. They should have brought in a few of the other characters too though, especially those we haven't seen for quite sometime. When will Flora finally get some love..... ;_;

But yeah, aside from those. It was a pretty solid crossover game. Now here's to waiting for Smash Bros 3DS, our other little crossover game next month. :)

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet
Yeah the puzzles where indeed quite simplyfied. I suppose that was to give the Ace Attorney fans who never played a Layton game before a simple start to adjust and understand how the Layton series roughly worked.

And I agree about the lack of fanservice too. I guess I can understand during the main story but they should have kinda brought in more of the cast during the DLC episodes. I guess at least Chelmey, Barton and Edgeworth got their due time though, even though they already existed during the beginning and end of the main story somewhat. They should have brought in a few of the other characters too though, especially those we haven't seen for quite sometime. When will Flora finally get some love..... ;_;

But yeah, aside from those. It was a pretty solid crossover game. Now here's to waiting for Smash Bros 3DS, our other little crossover game next month. :)
Gumshoe, man. I really would have wanted to see Gumshoe and Chelmey co-operating/butting heads.

I'm starting to wonder if all of these spoilertags are really necessary, but better safe than sorry I guess. I certainly wouldn't want to ruin any surprises (or lack of them) for anyone who hasn't played it - it's too good for that.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Gumshoe, man. I really would have wanted to see Gumshoe and Chelmey co-operating/butting heads.

I'm starting to wonder if all of these spoilertags are really necessary, but better safe than sorry I guess. I certainly wouldn't want to ruin any surprises (or lack of them) for anyone who hasn't played it - it's too good for that.
I guess he at least got a small nod during one of those DLC episodes, but yeah, he should have been there too alongside Edgeworth.

Sure I suppose.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I've been thinking, with the idea of DLC being a real possibility, do you think, just maybe other 3rd parties will be playable in the game like Layton?

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I've been thinking, with the idea of DLC being a real possibility, do you think, just maybe other 3rd parties will be playable in the game like Layton?
It's always a possibility! Considering there's a lot of potential DLC characters, though, we must ask ourselves: what is the likelihood of Layton appearing before any other characters?

I think the most likely scenario is that we will have "seasons" of DLC. So, the opening season might be veterans that didn't make the cut in the final roster (Lucas, Wolf, etc.), the next could be future stars (Wonder Red, Inkling, etc.) - you get the idea.

So that would mean that, at some point down the line, there would more than likely be a third-party character DLC pack. This would naturally open the floodgates for a lot of smashing opportunities, so deciding which characters are deemed appropriate may be a bit of a tricky case worthy of the good Professor himself! It'd probably come down to what other games developers would approach Sakurai and ask to have their characters licensed to appear in the game - unless Sakurai himself would be willing to go out and ask his friends and acquaintances in the games industry, but that doesn't seem particularly likely.

Then we'd have to consider how much Level 5 would want Layton to be in the game at all. I don't see any reason why they particularly wouldn't: Smash is a huge series and having your creations appear in it is a surefire way to raise awareness and generate interest in your respective games. Although, what with the Layton series drawing to a conclusion and the Professor himself being retired, it raises the questions: would Level 5 be willing to go to the trouble of asking Sakurai's permission at all, knowing there won't necessarily be in return in it for them; and also, would they be wiling to do it just because it would please the fans?

Alternatively, we could just have a Skullgirls-style public vote where the fans can decide for themselves what DLC characters they'd most like to see. The only real issues with that, as far as I can see, would be whether Layton's fanbase is strong enough to warrant him appearing in the coveted position and just what would be deemed eligible for a potential candidate in the first place.

tl;dr - Possibly! ;3

Turmalinium

Smash Apprentice
I am still hoping that Level 5 will make a sequel to the Unwound Future. At the end of the game they even teased a sequel. Come on Level 5 give us more Layton. :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I am still hoping that Level 5 will make a sequel to the Unwound Future. At the end of the game they even teased a sequel. Come on Level 5 give us more Layton. :p
I've been waiting for that sequel trilogy since... well... when it got first teased....:urg:
Would love to see one eventually done someday....

Well anyway, in regards to after we know the full roster and the case this thread may become unavailable sometime once we know the full roster (Unless DLC gets confirmed) would you guys like to see me prepare a Professor Layton social group? Where we can further discuss Professor Layton as well as Smash Bros related things in regards to the series such as the games, puzzles, codecs, Professor Layton Mii Fighters and other stuff and all? Would you guys like that?

Top Bottom