• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
There can't be no more than three green effects in Smash Run, can there?
And if you see Mewtwo as an effect, don't give up hope.

Last edited:

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
I actually think newcomers (Dixie included) have better chances than the cut veterans, lol

That said, I agree that her trophy having an effect in Smash Tour definitely hurts her chances. I am preparing myself for the worst.
I have a hard time thinking anyone other than Wolf has the best chances as it stands now (excluding Mewtwo of course). He'd be relatively easy to bring back, he's popular (the most wanted as it stands now), and Nintendo doing SF cross-promotion next year is something they probably won't pass up. He's pretty perfect for DLC.

That said, I reckon Dixie follows pretty close afterwards.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I just don't think the Smash Tour trophy changes anything. It's literally just a power-up you never see in the actual match. It wouldn't even be particularly weird if Dixie Kong was playable and there was still the Dixie Kong powerup.

If anything, the Smash Tour trophy is probably a good thing, since it's an acknowledgement of Dixie Kong in a form more important than a standard trophy but which doesn't preclude her from being made playable, like an Assist role would.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
So Vaan what do u think Dixie's chances are? Also have we heard anything about the journalist claiming to have seen a moving model of her?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I have a hard time thinking anyone other than Wolf has the best chances as it stands now (excluding Mewtwo of course). He'd be relatively easy to bring back, he's popular (the most wanted as it stands now), and Nintendo doing SF cross-promotion next year is something they probably won't pass up. He's pretty perfect for DLC.

That said, I reckon Dixie follows pretty close afterwards.
There is a reason characters are cut from the game. That said, I do have to agree Wolf is the most likely character for DLC as far as veterans are concerned, solely because of the new Star Fox game, but in the end, newcomers are still more likely, IMO. From a business point of view, releasing veterans as DLC (Mewtwo aside) instead of new characters isn't a smart idea at all.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
There is a reason characters are cut from the game. That said, I do have to agree Wolf is the most likely character for DLC as far as veterans are concerned, solely because of the new Star Fox game, but in the end, newcomers are still more likely, IMO. From a business point of view, releasing veterans as DLC (Mewtwo aside) instead of new characters isn't a smart idea at all.
And that reason is usually just because they didn't have time to include them. That's the reason the majority of the veterans were cut from Brawl, only two weren't planned to return at all, and one of those pretty much got replaced anyway (YL with TL). It's not like the intention is often to simply scrap them completely.

From a business point of view, releasing any character with a strong fanbase that will sell well is a smart idea, and that applies to Wolf. The Smash 4 audience is largely going to be comprised of the Brawl audience, and that will cause a high level of recognition for cut Brawl characters. And people gravitate towards what they know. On top of that Wolf is and was a relatively popular character, and one who would probably be easy to bring back (he probably is already partially programmed), so yeah, bringing him back would expend less time and money than newcomers, and he would already have a built-in audience that would certainly be eager to pick him up. Definitely it's a smart idea, though not to say releasing newcomers as well isn't.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
So Vaan what do u think Dixie's chances are?
I don't know, I thought she had a good chance at getting in the base game. Despite the louder support, I do think she has a greater chance than K.Rool, but I'm not sure any newcomer really has that good of odds.

When it comes right down to it, though, the only horses I'd bet on are Dixie and some form of Toad.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I don't know, I thought she had a good chance at getting in the base game. Despite the louder support, I do think she has a greater chance than K.Rool, but I'm not sure any newcomer really has that good of odds.

When it comes right down to it, though, the only horses I'd bet on are Dixie and some form of Toad.
I'd also bet on bandana dee, A zelda character (Impa), A star fox character (Wolf) and isaac

Crabman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pipopolus
So Vaan what do u think Dixie's chances are? Also have we heard anything about the journalist claiming to have seen a moving model of her?
This is the only reason I'm still holding out hope for Dixie dlc, if a moving model of her was seen I don't see why she couldn't be added later on like mewtwo.

Reila

This would be the perfect song for Dixie's reveal trailer:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm doubting Dixie Kong would get in as DLC. If she is already an effect in Smash Tour, why would she be playable? Moving model =/= playable character... for all we know, her moving model could be for Assist Trophy or Smash Tour.

Might as well wait for SSB5...

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I'm doubting Dixie Kong would get in as DLC. If she is already an effect in Smash Tour, why would she be playable? Moving model =/= playable character... for all we know, her moving model could be for Assist Trophy or Smash Tour.

Might as well wait for SSB5...
We know what her Smash Tour does. It gives players a third jump.

I honestly don't see it as hurting her odds in the slightest. I feel it's the opposite, in fact. She's being acknowledged by the developers in a way that doesn't preclude her from being playable, like an Assist Trophy role does. They could transfer her Smash Tour effect to dozens of other characters, not the least of which being Tiny Kong.

There's zero reason to believe the random NeoGaf poster who claimed to have seen her model. He offered no proof whatsoever.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
No proof yet we "know" she gives players a third jump in Smash Tour? :confused:

Reila

SpainKiller leaked stuff on NeoGAF in the past and seeing that he is an old user, he should know that leaking fake stuff = ban there.

That alone is enough for me to give him a bit of credibility.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I've gone back and forth on the Smash Tour appearance, and right now, I don't think that it kills Dixie's chances at DLC. Mewtwo has a trophy, and that didn't stop him from being DLC. I think the only thing that would outright disconfirm Dixie would be her suddenly showing up as a Wii U exclusive AT or a stage element. And, given that the game is already being leaked and we haven't seen either of these, I think it's safe to say that neither of those are the case. At the very least, like vaanrose said, her appearance in Smash Tour tells us that the developers haven't forgotten about her.

However, that being said, I'm just in "wait-and-see" mode. I don't want to get my hopes up again, like I did when a lot of us believed that there would be more characters beyond the ESRB leak. SpainKiller could be telling the truth about seeing a moving model of Dixie, but I'm not going to believe it until there is hard evidence.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
SpainKiller leaked stuff on NeoGAF in the past and seeing that he is an old user, he should know that leaking fake stuff = ban there.

That alone is enough for me to give him a bit of credibility.
What did he leak in the past? That's news to me.

I don't give people points just because they decided to post a leak to a website that bans fake leaks, especially when what he posted is vague enough it will never be dis-proven. Dixie never shows up? "She must have been scrapped."

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If Sakurai considered Dixie worthy of being playable before in Brawl, maybe Sakurai wanted to make the Diddy+Dixie combo work again, but couldn't do it due to 3DS limitations. I don't think my theory is that farfetched. :cool:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Dixie should have never been considered as a Diddy/Dixie combo and with transformations out of the picture, your theory is a little farfetched.

Concerning Dixie's moving model, I fear she could be an assist trophy. I just can't see her being one especially when we have Midna covering her area of expertise on that front (hair).

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Dixie should have never been considered as a Diddy/Dixie combo and with transformations out of the picture, your theory is a little farfetched.

Concerning Dixie's moving model, I fear she could be an assist trophy. I just can't see her being one especially when we have Midna covering her area of expertise on that front (hair).
I still don't get why you keep insisting that Dixie has an actual moving model in the game right now. Why can't, oh, I don't know, the person have just been WRONG?!

Oh, but we can't have that now, can we? Instead, we immediately assume that the person was right, throwing out all logic to the contrary, and come up with reasonings as to how said person could still be right regardless of the circumstances surrounding it.

The fact of the matter is, there's nothing at all to indicate the person was right. We're assuming the person didn't just lie, make up, or made a legitimate mistake on the info. The person claimed that Ridley's model was the one he saw, but its easy enough to say AFTER Ridley's role was officially announced.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
''Keep insisting?'' This is the first time I ever mentioned Dixie's moving model, LOL! You're confusing me with someone else. And yes, you could be right.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So... who else wants to start using #DixieKong on Nintendo's Twitter? We could let Nintendo know that Dixie Kong has her fans... and that we wish to see her in future Donkey Kong Country games and Mario spin-offs.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I still don't get why you keep insisting that Dixie has an actual moving model in the game right now. Why can't, oh, I don't know, the person have just been WRONG?!

Oh, but we can't have that now, can we? Instead, we immediately assume that the person was right, throwing out all logic to the contrary, and come up with reasonings as to how said person could still be right regardless of the circumstances surrounding it.

The fact of the matter is, there's nothing at all to indicate the person was right. We're assuming the person didn't just lie, make up, or made a legitimate mistake on the info. The person claimed that Ridley's model was the one he saw, but its easy enough to say AFTER Ridley's role was officially announced.
Isn't the guy a Dutch gaming journalist or something? I'm not getting my hopes up but that's better than just any random saying it.

I still doubt DK DLC though. I think it'll be vets, anime characters and possibly Inklings.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I just want people to remember that someone said they saw Chunky Kong as an Assist Trophy during Smashfest, and people started latching on to this claim because "that doesn't sound like something that someone would lie about." I see the exact same thing happening here with SpainKiller's claim. Until there is hard evidence, I'm not believing a word of it.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I do think it's impressive that Spainkiller's post was the only leak that survived the grand debunker that was the 50-fact extravaganza...

But we all knew there was a moving model of Ridley and Mewtwo was in everyone's fake leak. There's still not much reason to put stock in it, but that just means speculation is free. Dixie's odds are pretty much the same as they ever were imo.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
But spainkiller is a reliable source, he's not just some random guy making random claims

And when you think about it it makes sense

Mewtwo is playable
Ridley is the most playable of any of the NPC's, mistaking him for playable is very posible
We know chorus kids were at least planned thanks to gematsu
and that leaves dixie, it'd be a bit odd if she was just a smash tour item

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
But spainkiller is a reliable source, he's not just some random guy making random claims

And when you think about it it makes sense

Mewtwo is playable
Ridley is the most playable of any of the NPC's, mistaking him for playable is very posible
We know chorus kids were at least planned thanks to gematsu
and that leaves dixie, it'd be a bit odd if she was just a smash tour item
Spainkiller is not the source of the information, his contact is. Just because Spainkiller believes it doesn't make it true.

We don't know that Chorus Kids were planned for certain, and even if they were, we don't know how far they got. "Moving models" may have never even been a thing with them.

Dixie is just everyone's most expected character right now.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Honestly it sounds kind of legit. You have a respected gaming journalist allegedly in contact with someone involved in the European localisation of the game, who said he saw moving models of certain characters. He said 'moving models' not playable characters, and with the exception of Dixie all those characters have a known reason to have moving models. Chorus Kids is the most questionable, but Gematsu did suggest they were intended to be playable, and they do have an enemy in Smash Run. He also mentioned that these characters could be unlocked by linking both versions of the game, which is true for Mewtwo.

The other thing is that according to Spainkiller, his contact predicted several correct things about the game, like the Jr. alts for example. That means SK would personally have proof that he's telling the truth. If SK is genuine and not trolling, his contact is probably legit. The question then of course is whether SK is trolling or not. It seems unlikely that respected poster and journalist, who has apparently leaked legit info before, would decide to troll on something like this, knowing the consequences it would have on his posting rights, and his reputation as both a poster and a journalist.

It seems likely on paper, but I'm trying to kill any hope or expectation I have. Suckerai giving a shafted franchise a rep it deserves as DLC just seems to good to be true.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'd just like to remind people that Sakurai included Diddy Kong a good way into the Smash series' lifespan and with a reasonably accurate moveset to boot. It's worth bearing in mind that, just because he may drag his heels on it and not represent it in other ways, it doesn't mean he outright resents or consciously neglects the Donkey Kong series.

I think Dixie's chances are about the same as they always were up to this point: reasonably likely, though certainly not a shoe-in. I will remain cautiously optimistic for the time being and see what comes of it.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'd just like to remind people that Sakurai included Diddy Kong a good way into the Smash series' lifespan and with a reasonably accurate moveset to boot. It's worth bearing in mind that, just because he may drag his heels on it and not represent it in other ways, it doesn't mean he outright resents or consciously neglects the Donkey Kong series.

I think Dixie's chances are about the same as they always were up to this point: reasonably likely, though certainly not a shoe-in. I will remain cautiously optimistic for the time being and see what comes of it.
You can tell where his biases lie though. KI and Kirby are the obvious ones, but he's also a FE fan, which shows in the fact that it has 4 playable characters.

I don't think he outright 'hates' DK. I just don't think he respects it as much as other franchises because it's Western-developed, and he probably still considers it a Mario sub-series, which it's not.

Reila

Western developed or not, Donkey Kong happens to be one of Nintendo's most popular franchises in Japan, so the series should definitely get more love in Smash. Not necessarily playable characters (I don't think popularity equals number of playable reps), but any kind of content. Where are the DK assist trophies, for example?

I don't think Sakurai "doesn't respect" DK as much as other franchises and I also don't think he is necessarily a FE fan. I think FE got two new reps because Awakening was a HUGE success, which is something new for the FE series. I am sure if they released a very successful Metroid, one or two years before Smash 4 was released, we would have gotten a new Metroid rep or even two, but alas, aside from diehard Nintendo fans, people don't seem to care a lot about that series (unlike DK... Returns alone sold more than the whole Metroid Prime trilogy combined).

At the end of the day, Smash serves as a marketing ploy (which is why I think the Splatoon main character has considerably high chances of appearing as DLC, btw). Back to Dixie, the fact DK is very popular in Japan AND in the west makes me hopeful for her inclusion (and the same goes for a Rhythm Heaven rep, a series which was on the TOP 10 of Nintendo franchises in Japan, back in 2012*)

* = Top franchises according to male players / Top franchises according to female players

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Western developed or not, Donkey Kong happens to be one of Nintendo's most popular franchises in Japan, so the series should definitely get more love in Smash. Not necessarily playable characters (I don't think popularity equals number of playable reps), but any kind of content. Where are the DK assist trophies, for example?

I don't think Sakurai "doesn't respect" DK as much as other franchises and I also don't think he is necessarily a FE fan. I think FE got two new reps because Awakening was a HUGE success, which is something new for the FE series. I am sure if they released a very successful Metroid, one or two years before Smash 4 was released, we would have gotten a new Metroid rep or even two, but alas, aside from diehard Nintendo fans, people don't seem to care a lot about that series (unlike DK... Returns alone sold more than the whole Metroid Prime trilogy combined).

At the end of the day, Smash serves as a marketing ploy (which is why I think the Splatoon main character has considerably high chances of appearing as DLC, btw). Back to Dixie, the fact DK is very popular in Japan AND in the west makes me hopeful for her inclusion (and the same goes for a Rhythm Heaven rep, a series which was on the TOP 10 of Nintendo franchises in Japan, back in 2012*)

* = Top franchises according to male players / Top franchises according to female players
People aren't saying he's a FE fan because it got 4 characters. They're saying that it likely got 4 characters because he was a known FE fan beforehand.

Returns was a huge success too. It sold 6mil units, outselling Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. It was in the top 15 for sales on the Wii, and half of that 15 is crap like Wii Sports. In terms of 'proper' games DKR was around top 5 in terms of Wii sales figures. Despite this, we get basically no real content across both versions except for one new stage.

There's no justification for FE getting 4 characters when DK only got 2. DK is far bigger, just had a hugely successful revival, and the 4 DK characters that everyone wanted would've filled the female, heavyweight and villain boxes, whilst being more deserving and more unique than the FE character selection we got.

Last edited:

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
FE got two new reps because the series warranted a third and fleshing out an alt/padding the roster caused the fourth.
Same basic principle behind Mario and Zelda getting five reps over four and three respectively in Melee.

Sakurai might be an FE fan, but this decision wasn't out of the norm in Smash. His treatment of the KI series reeks much more of bias.

And ofc the DK series should get more content than it ended up with. Though, and not to defend Sakurai's decisions, some series getting a disproportionate amount or lack of attention is also something not new to Smash.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Honestly it sounds kind of legit. You have a respected gaming journalist

Spainkiller is not a respected journalist, and nothing that I've seen has given me any reason whatsoever to think he's a reliable source.

The fact that I have to attach a NSFW warning onto this link to his Twitter account speaks for itself.

The other thing is that according to Spainkiller, his contact predicted several correct things about the game, like the Jr. alts for example.
He didn't predict 'several' things. He predicted one thing. That Jr would have Koopaling alts. And he didn't 'predict' that until over a month after the Ninka_Kiwi leak went public, which was not only the first leak to include Bowser Jr, it also included the fact that Jr would have Koopaling alts.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
It seems likely on paper, but I'm trying to kill any hope or expectation I have. Suckerai giving a shafted franchise a rep it deserves as DLC just seems to good to be true.
Please call him Sakurai, not Suckerai. He doesn't suck.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Spainkiller is not a respected journalist, and nothing that I've seen has given me any reason whatsoever to think he's a reliable source.

The fact that I have to attach a NSFW warning onto this link to his Twitter account speaks for itself.

He didn't predict 'several' things. He predicted one thing. That Jr would have Koopaling alts. And he didn't 'predict' that until over a month after the Ninka_Kiwi leak went public, which was not only the first leak to include Bowser Jr, it also included the fact that Jr would have Koopaling alts.
I'm not saying we had proof that he predicted things. In SK's account of events, the contact predicted multiple things in advance. So SK would personally know if the contact was a legit source or not. If SK is genuine, then we know his contact is genuine too because he's allegedly proved to SK that he's legit by making several correct predictions that weren't posted to the public.

So it's not a question of whether the contact is legit or not, it's a question of whether SK himself is legit or not. Although having looked at his Twitter I am indeed starting to doubt that.

Last edited:

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
Respected or not, decade long Gaf members know not to post supposed leaks unless they have a heck of a lot of confidence or faith in where they're coming from. You're putting your account on the line after all.

Take it with a grain of salt but don't forget he's not just throwing out his claims with no expectation of consequence should they be false.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Spainkiller is not the source of the information, his contact is. Just because Spainkiller believes it doesn't make it true.

We don't know that Chorus Kids were planned for certain, and even if they were, we don't know how far they got. "Moving models" may have never even been a thing with them.

Dixie is just everyone's most expected character right now.
Wasn't that the same source who was right about Bowser Jr's alts?

My memory is kinda fuzzy though so I don't really remember

And if the ice climbers had moving models (Which I'm fairly certain they did) I see know reason the chorus kids weren't

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Wasn't that the same source who was right about Bowser Jr's alts?

My memory is kinda fuzzy though so I don't really remember

And if the ice climbers had moving models (Which I'm fairly certain they did) I see know reason the chorus kids weren't
Spainkiller talked about the Bowser Jr. alts long after the Ninka leak was made public.

Top Bottom