• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
If Dixie DID in fact have a moving model,
She should be the next DLC after Mewtwo.
Why?

REASON #1
Chrom already has a non-playable and moving appearance in Robin's Final Smash.

REASON #2
I think Chorus Kids have the same problem as Ice Climbers: the 3DS limitations.

REASON #3
Ridley is already a boss hazard.

REASON #4
Dixie isn't anywhere seen moving in the Wii U version.

REASON #5
Leftover characters are indeed quicker to finish neatly than ones from scratch.

I also found a poll about what's the most likely DLC after Mewtwo. Dixie has the most votes. I don't remember where it is.

(I was pretty confident there was a moving model of Dixie Kong. Right now, there's no real evidence, but something was convincing to me.)

Crabman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pipopolus
If Dixie DID in fact have a moving model,
She should be the next DLC after Mewtwo.
Why?

REASON #1
Chrom already has a non-playable and moving appearance in Robin's Final Smash.

REASON #2
I think Chorus Kids have the same problem as Ice Climbers: the 3DS limitations.

REASON #3
Ridley is already a boss hazard.

REASON #4
Dixie isn't anywhere seen moving in the Wii U version.

REASON #5
Leftover characters are indeed quicker to finish neatly than ones from scratch.

I also found a poll about what's the most likely DLC after Mewtwo. Dixie has the most votes. I don't remember where it is.

(I was pretty confident there was a moving model of Dixie Kong. Right now, there's no real evidence, but something was convincing to me.)
Whether or not she had a moving model in smash4 she did have one in brawl and at one point was going to be a character. Whether or not she gets added to this game I'd say is a 50/50 at this point, I feel like as far as newcomers go dixie would make the most sense, but who knows maybe she isn't considered "original enough" either way we have a great roster, dixie would just be icing on the cake.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Well, I don't think we had any evidence of Mewtwo's moving model either (at least not before his announcement anyway). Plus he wasn't featured in the Gematsu leaks in Smashwiki.
Plus, wasn't Mewtwo one of the four models some European guy found and Dixie was one of them too?

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I really don't understand why people are bringing up the Chorus Men. The only time they were mentioned was in that one leak, the one that was debunked in August.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
People bring up the Chorus Kids (not Men) because of this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=129524882&postcount=14153]

There are no reasons to believe he's telling the truth, except for the fact he's a NeoGAF member since 2004 and knows very well that faking leaks = instaban there.

We already know both Mewtwo and Ridley have moving models, so there are only Dixie and the Chorus Kids left.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
People bring up the Chorus Kids (not Men) because of this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=129524882&postcount=14153]

There are no reasons to believe he's telling the truth, except for the fact he's a NeoGAF member since 2004 and knows very well that faking leaks = instaban there.

We already know both Mewtwo and Ridley have moving models, so there are only Dixie and the Chorus Kids left.
Seeing as how he lists Ridley, and we know that Ridley is 100% not playable, then I'd say that "leak" means nothing.

It's a "my friend told me" deal, and it was obvious that at least part of that would be true (everyone knew DLC was a thing, and Mewtwo and Dixie are two of the, if not the two most likely characters to be added), so he can get away with it being "partly true". He just pulled a Gematsu on everyone, that's all.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Seeing as how he lists Ridley, and we know that Ridley is 100% not playable, then I'd say that "leak" means nothing.

It's a "my friend told me" deal, and it was obvious that at least part of that would be true (everyone knew DLC was a thing, and Mewtwo and Dixie are two of the, if not the two most likely characters to be added), so he can get away with it being "partly true". He just pulled a Gematsu on everyone, that's all.
Although this ridley is basically a playable ridley except not, he has attack animations, a roll, a ledge grab, a knocked out animation, hell you can even kill him and gain a point from it. It could've just been a very easy mistake

Also if you think the gematsu leak was debunked in august, you're kidding yourself. He still got 8/10 characters right including Wii Fit Trainer and mii fighters

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Although this ridley is basically a playable ridley except not, he has attack animations, a roll, a ledge grab, a knocked out animation, hell you can even kill him and gain a point from it. It could've just been a very easy mistake

Also if you think the gematsu leak was debunked in august, you're kidding yourself. He still got 8/10 characters right including Wii Fit Trainer and mii fighters
The leak was debunked 100% when Robin and Lucina were announced (I believe in August) and when Chrom was outright deconfirmed. And even though it didn't need it, we had full confirmation from Sakurai in the next Famitsu magazine that Chrom was never planned. There was no reason for Chrom to EVER, EVER be on a leak, much less one that was made public 2 years after the final roster was decided.

Also, he never got 8/10. He made 11 predictions (Little Mac, "Animal Crossing Guy", Pac Man, Mega Man, WFT, Mii, Chrom, Shulk, Goddess Palutena, Pokemon from X/Y, Chorus Men), and his correct predictions tally 7 if you are generous and forgive that he got Palutena's name wrong. "Animal Crossing Guy" and "Pokemon from x/y" are too vague to even slightly give a leak credit. And lest we forget the many characters who were absent from the leak. 7/11 is little over half, and 7 out of the 15 newcomers that we got is a complete failure, especially when 6 of those newcomers were ones that everyone and their mother knew would be included.

I'd say that anyone who thinks there was a remote chance that it was true is kidding themselves.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
The leak was debunked 100% when Robin and Lucina were announced (I believe in August) and when Chrom was outright deconfirmed. And even though it didn't need it, we had full confirmation from Sakurai in the next Famitsu magazine that Chrom was never planned. There was no reason for Chrom to EVER, EVER be on a leak, much less one that was made public 2 years after the final roster was decided.

Also, he never got 8/10. He made 11 predictions (Little Mac, "Animal Crossing Guy", Pac Man, Mega Man, WFT, Mii, Chrom, Shulk, Goddess Palutena, Pokemon from X/Y, Chorus Men), and his correct predictions tally 7 if you are generous and forgive that he got Palutena's name wrong. "Animal Crossing Guy" and "Pokemon from x/y" are too vague to even slightly give a leak credit. And lest we forget the many characters who were absent from the leak. 7/11 is little over half, and 7 out of the 15 newcomers that we got is a complete failure, especially when 6 of those newcomers were ones that everyone and their mother knew would be included.

I'd say that anyone who thinks there was a remote chance that it was true is kidding themselves.
Goddess palutena and palutena are still basically the same thing, and are you saying it's a coincidence he got so many right?
Including Wii fit trainer and Mii fighters of all characters

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I disagree on the first half of the leak. There was too much there. Who the hell guesses Wii Fit Trainer? The rest, yes, I agree. People are grasping at straws to try and prove it was still valid. The guy had legit info at first then spewed some crap to try and get more attention.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I disagree on the first half of the leak. There was too much there. Who the hell guesses Wii Fit Trainer? The rest, yes, I agree. People are grasping at straws to try and prove it was still valid. The guy had legit info at first then spewed some crap to try and get more attention.
Wii Fit Trainer wasn't as unreasonable as people give credit. Anyone who looked into Nintendo's recent successes and in general their most well known franchises, Wii Fit content was a shoo in. I did myself think Assist Trophy, but wasn't at all surprised when she was announced.

I would have leant towards thinking he was some E3 rep that tacked on extra (safe) guesses each time, though there are two main reasons that make me believe that this theory doesn't hold much weight:
- "Animal Crossing Guy". He was credited as Villager in the trailer, there's no reason to give a vague label for him.
- Little Mac and Pac-Man's trailers have characters in them that were not announced at the reveal of the game. It's possible, but unlikely that they'd re-record parts of their trailers.

The most likely scenario, is that he's just a fan who made a prediction (as such was his first post labelled), and when it turned out what was considered at the time was an unlikely prediction made it, he ran with it to try and promote his website. If you think about it, all of his leaks followed the usual formula of "obvious characters, 1 WTF character" and the last one even had "I know all of Sakurai's inner most thoughts" with the whole Lucas/Ness thing.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Wii Fit Trainer wasn't as unreasonable as people give credit. Anyone who looked into Nintendo's recent successes and in general their most well known franchises, Wii Fit content was a shoo in. I did myself think Assist Trophy, but wasn't at all surprised when she was announced.

I would have leant towards thinking he was some E3 rep that tacked on extra (safe) guesses each time, though there are two main reasons that make me believe that this theory doesn't hold much weight:
- "Animal Crossing Guy". He was credited as Villager in the trailer, there's no reason to give a vague label for him.
- Little Mac and Pac-Man's trailers have characters in them that were not announced at the reveal of the game. It's possible, but unlikely that they'd re-record parts of their trailers.

The most likely scenario, is that he's just a fan who made a prediction (as such was his first post labelled), and when it turned out what was considered at the time was an unlikely prediction made it, he ran with it to try and promote his website. If you think about it, all of his leaks followed the usual formula of "obvious characters, 1 WTF character" and the last one even had "I know all of Sakurai's inner most thoughts" with the whole Lucas/Ness thing.
I'd argue its possible the guy got the initial leak correct and guessed Pac-Man, Little Mac, and Mii.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
You can only say this in hindsight. One does not simply correctly guess 6/6 characters, especially when those include the likes of Wii Fit Trainer, Villager (Sakurai had previously stated he didn't believe Animal Crossing characters would work in Smash, making this significant), and both of the third party characters that ended up in. WFT was predicted by absolutely no one, to act like it wasn't a tough guess is ridiculous.

And before you go all "Animal Crossing guy" on me, we don't know how he got his information and it's entirely possible that whatever he got led to him not having the exact name. Recall that the Ninka leak, which was undeniably real, said Bowser Jr. fought from a Mario Kart.

As for the rest of Gematsu, I agree with what @ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman said on the matter. If Chorus Kids come as DLC or something, I'll change my mind.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
You can only say this in hindsight. One does not simply correctly guess 6/6 characters, especially when those include the likes of Wii Fit Trainer, Villager (Sakurai had previously stated he didn't believe Animal Crossing characters would work in Smash, making this significant), and both of the third party characters that ended up in. WFT was predicted by absolutely no one, to act like it wasn't a tough guess is ridiculous.

And before you go all "Animal Crossing guy" on me, we don't know how he got his information and it's entirely possible that whatever he got led to him not having the exact name. Recall that the Ninka leak, which was undeniably real, said Bowser Jr. fought from a Mario Kart.

As for the rest of Gematsu, I agree with what @ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman said on the matter. If Chorus Kids come as DLC or something, I'll change my mind.
I say it as someone speaking logically. Wii Fit content was a lock, it was just a matter of what form it would come in. How is it hard to grasp, that with the tens of thousands of people that were posting their "unlikely predictions" online, that one person was bound to get something "unlikely" -right. There are only so many Nintendo franchises, and only so many potential characters.
I myself guessed Greninja as a solo newcomer, and Sheik being separated from Zelda (as well as 11/15 newcomers, so a far better track record than Silly Sally), that doesn't mean that I had inside info, it means that I used my head.

Everyone and their mother knew that Animal Crossing was getting a character, despite what Sakurai may have said nearly a decade ago. Acting like he was a tough guess is a joke (especially when you use a vague description of a character that could basically apply to any potential Animal Crossing rep).

The only slightly plausible scenario (in which he had any legitimate information) is that he was an E3 rep who made up the rest, which is hard to grasp considering he didn't know the name of Villager. There's literally no other way of justifying that he had information. So baring that in mind, the most logical conclusion is that he was just someone who was making educated guesses.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
It's kind of funny that I'm defending Gematsu here. I'm usually on the other side.

I say it as someone speaking logically. Wii Fit content was a lock, it was just a matter of what form it would come in. How is it hard to grasp, that with the tens of thousands of people that were posting their "unlikely predictions" online, that one person was bound to get something "unlikely" -right. There are only so many Nintendo franchises, and only so many potential characters.
I myself guessed Greninja as a solo newcomer, and Sheik being separated from Zelda (as well as 11/15 newcomers, so a far better track record than Silly Sally), that doesn't mean that I had inside info, it means that I used my head.
There is so much hindsight bias in here. This wasn't just a random guess; this was the owner of a gaming site getting a tip. You can't compare that to someone's random prediction online that was never expected to be seen as anything but.

Even if you can argue that someone could have possibly guessed Wii Fit Trainer (which I would indeed agree with), this is not just Wii Fit Trainer. This is WFT and 5 more accurate "guesses."

Everyone and their mother knew that Animal Crossing was getting a character, despite what Sakurai may have said nearly a decade ago. Acting like he was a tough guess is a joke (especially when you use a vague description of a character that could basically apply to any potential Animal Crossing rep).
The hindsight bias! It's blinding!

Ask pretty much anyone who was in the Smash scene and they'll agree that an Animal Crossing rep, while possibly not completely off the table, was unlikely due to Sakurai's own words. "Everyone and their mother"? Lol, who the hell do you think you are? You are literally making that up.

The only slightly plausible scenario (in which he had any legitimate information) is that he was an E3 rep who made up the rest, which is hard to grasp considering he didn't know the name of Villager. There's literally no other way of justifying that he had information. So baring that in mind, the most logical conclusion is that he was just someone who was making educated guesses.
No way of justifying except, oh, I dunno, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Little Mac, Mii, Pac-Man, and Megaman?

To pretend the tipper was just guessing is to blatantly ignore facts and statistical probability.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
It's kind of funny that I'm defending Gematsu here. I'm usually on the other side.

There is so much hindsight bias in here. This wasn't just a random guess; this was the owner of a gaming site getting a tip. You can't compare that to someone's random prediction online that was never expected to be seen as anything but.

Even if you can argue that someone could have possibly guessed Wii Fit Trainer (which I would indeed agree with), this is not just Wii Fit Trainer. This is WFT and 5 more accurate "guesses."

The hindsight bias! It's blinding!

Ask pretty much anyone who was in the Smash scene and they'll agree that an Animal Crossing rep, while possibly not completely off the table, was unlikely due to Sakurai's own words. "Everyone and their mother"? Lol, who the hell do you think you are? You are literally making that up.

No way of justifying except, oh, I dunno, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Little Mac, Mii, Pac-Man, and Megaman?

To pretend the tipper was just guessing is to blatantly ignore facts and statistical probability.
You can call it hindsight bias if you like. The rest of us will just call it logic. It literally was a random guess. Hence the wording "prediction". It wasn't posted as a leak. It was posted as a prediction.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62304489&postcount=2996

It was not Wii Fit Trainer and 5 more accurate guesses. It was Wii Fit Trainer and Megaman (safe guess), one vague description that can be applied to another character (who was also a safe guess, at the very least in that vague form that could apply to any male character from AC), and 3 more that came at a date later than he said they would be (which, thanks to their trailers, were proven to never have been planned for E3 2013, and were again all safe guesses). Funnily enough, the characters who were generally deemed as unlikely; Robin, Duck Hunt Duo, Rosalina, Greninja, Dark Pit and Lucina were funnily enough absent from any of his predictions.

You clearly weren't around the forums if you don't think that everyone was expecting an AC rep, be it Tom Nook, a Villager or someone else.

It's 100% fact that he was lying, so this debate is over. You can believe in Santa, Fairies and fake leaks if you like.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Why would they call it "Animal Crossing Guy" when they could easily say the character's name like "Tom Nook", "K.K. Slider", or "Mr. Resetti"?

"Animal Crossing Guy" is generic... but it sounds very similar to "Animal Crossing Boy" in Brawl... and Villagers are generic.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Why would they call it "Animal Crossing Guy" when they could easily say the character's name like "Tom Nook", "K.K. Slider", or "Mr. Resetti"?

"Animal Crossing Guy" is generic... but it sounds very similar to "Animal Crossing Boy" in Brawl... and Villagers are generic.

Same reason he called it "Pokemon from x/y". Because it was a generic term that could be used to symoblise any potential new Pokemon.

Yes, he was called Animal Crossing Boy in Brawl, however the fake leaker neither called him that, nor the actual name that he should have 100% known if he had any legitimate information.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
For a long time K. Rool was my preferred newcomer for the DK series, I thought Dixie was just rather boring considering we already had Diddy, but recently for some reason I've found myself wanting to see Dixie over K. Rool. I still think K. Rool would bring more diversity than Dixie, but I find myself leaning towards Dixie instead. Maybe it's because I expected her while I didn't expect K. Rool, but whatever the case, I hope she makes it as DLC. I can't imagine a newcomer with better chances than her tbh.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Do me a favor in here and keep the leak discussion to ones explicitly relating to Dixie, rather than old/dead ones.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I never understood the logic why Dixie would not bring more diversity just because we already have Diddy. People who claim this are just asking for aesthetic diversity.

Same reason why people complain about blue-haired swordfighters in Fire Emblem, which is really a shallow way of criticizing Smash candidates. Chrom's problem wasn't because he was a blue-haired swordfighter since Sakurai already considered Chrom at one point and he did add Lucina as a last minute filler clone... Chrom's problem was that most things he could do, Marth and Ike already can do and Sakurai wanted an unique Fire Emblem newcomer and he found that in Robin (who still have blue hair as an alt).

Dixie's multipurpose hair is the one thing that can make her different from Diddy. She could be someone who fights by using her hair as a whip (for attacking) and as a propeller (for floating and for drilling) and as a tentacle (for grabbing).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm not saying she wouldn't be different. I'm saying I believe K. Rool would end up more different.

Yes, a sword wielder can obviously be different than a previous sword wielder... but a magic user and sword wielder brings even more difference.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
The gematsu leak topic has been beaten to death already. Sorry guys but I have to agree with @ TheAnvil TheAnvil on this one. He has already cleared up a lot of it so I won't bother going over it again but one thing I want to address is Sakurai's statement on Villager.

Not only is that statement old but if villager is 'unfit for battle' then we have to wonder who Sakurai considers "fit" to battle if Jiggs, Duck Hunt, ROB are okay (I swear whenever Sakurai says something it leaves more questions than answers).

Gematsu may have a lot of accurate "guesses" but it has too many holes for me to consider it a real leak.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'm not saying she wouldn't be different. I'm saying I believe K. Rool would end up more different.

Yes, a sword wielder can obviously be different than a previous sword wielder... but a magic user and sword wielder brings even more difference.
IMO, Dixie is way more unique than K. Rool. Yes, K. Rool would be unique too, but he's still at heart a big, strong, fatso like King Dedede, Bowser and DK. Dixie Kong's main tool is her hair, that alone puts her at the top of unique potential newcomers.

Dixie never played anything like Diddy in her home game, why would she in Smash?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
IMO, Dixie is way more unique than K. Rool. Yes, K. Rool would be unique too, but he's still at heart a big, strong, fatso like King Dedede, Bowser and DK. Dixie Kong's main tool is her hair, that alone puts her at the top of unique potential newcomers.
Classifying uniqueness solely on weight class leaves a lot omitted.

If you want to go that route one could say she'd be a fast, nimble, light-ish character like Diddy. And there are a lot more characters in that weight class than the heaviest heavyweight class.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Bowser and DK are the only major heavyweights above 120, and only four above 110 (one of them is the tiny Bowser Jr. at that).

There are twenty characters within Diddy's weight class (90-99) . I'm not saying that Dixie isn't unique, but to label King K. Rool as just another heavyweight when there are barely any of them among a roster full of lighter characters is just wrong.
He wouldn't play anything like the aforementioned three, since he'd be more of a projectile heavy character than anything.

Now, I want Dixie as well, since she's my favorite Kong, but there's no competition here.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So the reason Dixie would be less different than K. Rool would be is because what?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So the reason Dixie would be less different than K. Rool would be is because what?
King K. Rool has a larger variety of attacks and abilities used throughout the series. K. Rool has always been quite the tricky type of character and has large amounts of different ways his moveset could work. He could combine elements from his various boss battles, and each boss could even be used individually to give him a distinct moveset based on each one individually.

The playable characters in general simply have less going for them. Dixie is by far one of the more unique playable characters with her ponytail whirl, and yes, although we can argue that she could use her hair in a variety of different ways, the only ways she does use them are just like the other Kongs. So, at face value, there's no competition between the two; K. Rool has more variety AT FACE VALUE than Dixie does.

That's not to say Dixie wouldn't have an entirely unique moveset to herself, though. And as a fan of Donkey Kong Country, Dixie Kong, and King K. Rool, I really feel that the best compromise is:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Face value does not always mean anything. We got Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Duck Hunt all at once.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't know if I've ever brought it up in here yet (have done it in K. Rool's thread and on GameFAQs), but it'd be really great to kill off, or at least stifle talk of "Donkey Kong Rep," also known as "Third Donkey Kong Character" or "One of K. Rool/Dixie."

If you want to compare and contrast K. Rool and Dixie as characters, go right on ahead, but not in the context of "this is why my character deserves to be 'Donkey Kong Rep,' of which there can be only one." That framing tells people that either character only has any worth whatsoever so long as the other isn't in. . .Dixie deserves to be shelved and forgotten as a playable candidate if K. Rool is added, and vice versa.

Everyone reading this knows that's patently false, that both characters are far more qualified than many others, including some in Smash, so. . .(since this is the Dixie thread) unless you legitimately don't care about K. Rool, support both characters. Make it "K. Rool AND Dixie" and "Both K. Rool AND Dixie," rather than continuing some BS false dilemma that really should have never existed to begin with.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
That's not to say Dixie wouldn't have an entirely unique moveset to herself, though. And as a fan of Donkey Kong Country, Dixie Kong, and King K. Rool, I really feel that the best compromise is:
This. I support both K. Rool and Dixie immensely as both of them are high on my most wanted newcomer list for Smash. There's no need for bad blood between K. Rool and Dixie fanbases.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Thank you @ BKupa666 BKupa666 I hate that people feel like they have to pick one or the other... choosing one based on superficial reasons like "Dixie looks like Diddy and K. Rool is a crocodile therefore I pick K. Rool", "K. Rool is a heavyweight (or villain) and Dixie is not and Smash doesn't have many heavyweights (or villains) therefore I pick K. Rool", "Dixie is a girl and K. Rool is not and Smash needs more females therefore I pick Dixie", "Dixie is relevant and K. Rool is not therefore I pick Dixie", and "K. Rool has many tools and Dixie only has her hair therefore I pick K. Rool" (that last one... you are not looking for an unique moveset, you are looking for a flashy moveset).

I would like to have both K. Rool and Dixie because I liked the old DKC games and I think they would be fun to play as. I'll keep supporting them for Smash 5 (just not for Smash 4 DLC... I just want to move on and play Smash 4 now).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
My support of Dixie is not contingent on the mentality that we can only have one or the other, whereby I can only pick one of the two, it's contingent on the fact that I'd like to see Dixie and don't really care one way or another about K. Rool.

They'd both be fine characters, and they both deserve to be included, but I personally don't think that's going to happen, and I'd rather have Dixie over K. Rool. Even though I believe K. Rool has more to offer.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't really think in bias or opinion when it comes to Dixie and K. Rool, I just see Dixie having the better shot when you bring up other important factors in newcomer inclusion.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Face value does not always mean anything. We got Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Duck Hunt all at once.
Yes, you're right. None of whom had someone else to compare to. K. Rool has more going for him moveset and originality-wise at face value than Dixie Kong. I don't think it detracts from either character, but at face value, K. Rool has more going for him.

And hey, I'm not arguing against Dixie at all. I've been advocating for both characters for a very long time.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
There's no way Dixie is more unique than K. Rool. She's just Diddy with the ponytail gimmick. In the Country games she plays almost identical to Diddy save for the hair. She was probably even designed using Diddy's model as a base. Saying she's more unique than K. Rool is like saying that Luigi is more unique than Bowser.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Bowser and DK are the only major heavyweights above 120, and only four above 110 (one of them is the tiny Bowser Jr. at that).

There are twenty characters within Diddy's weight class (90-99) . I'm not saying that Dixie isn't unique, but to label King K. Rool as just another heavyweight when there are barely any of them among a roster full of lighter characters is just wrong.
He wouldn't play anything like the aforementioned three, since he'd be more of a projectile heavy character than anything.

Now, I want Dixie as well, since she's my favorite Kong, but there's no competition here.
I'm sorry, I was in a hurry to type that out last night and didn't form my words well.
I was being facetious, most people who say Dixie can't be unique is because her body structure is similar to Diddy. I was pointing out that K. Rool's body structure isn't any more unique. They are both among my most wanted characters.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
There's no way Dixie is more unique than K. Rool. She's just Diddy with the ponytail gimmick. In the Country games she plays almost identical to Diddy save for the hair. She was probably even designed using Diddy's model as a base. Saying she's more unique than K. Rool is like saying that Luigi is more unique than Bowser.
Welp, I guess Diddy shouldn't be added since he's even more similar to Donkey in DKC than Dixie is to him. Wait...

(Not to say she's more unique than K. Rool, I personally think both of them would be entirely unique characters)

The gematsu leak topic has been beaten to death already. Sorry guys but I have to agree with @ TheAnvil TheAnvil on this one. He has already cleared up a lot of it so I won't bother going over it again but one thing I want to address is Sakurai's statement on Villager.

Not only is that statement old but if villager is 'unfit for battle' then we have to wonder who Sakurai considers "fit" to battle if Jiggs, Duck Hunt, ROB are okay (I swear whenever Sakurai says something it leaves more questions than answers).

Gematsu may have a lot of accurate "guesses" but it has too many holes for me to consider it a real leak.
Clearly Sakurai changed his mind, but how are we supposed to know when he will and when he won't? He didn't change his mind on Ridley. For the record, Jigglypuff also happens to come from a game where her purpose is to fight. So yeah.

And regarding the leak we were actually discussing - just the first email - there are no holes, everything was accurate, so idk what you're thinking there. If we were to discuss the later emails, I would agree with you.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
Clearly Sakurai changed his mind, but how are we supposed to know when he will and when he won't? He didn't change his mind on Ridley. For the record, Jigglypuff also happens to come from a game where her purpose is to fight. So yeah.

And regarding the leak we were actually discussing - just the first email - there are no holes, everything was accurate, so idk what you're thinking there. If we were to discuss the later emails, I would agree with you.
Sure Jiggs comes from a game where fighting is the main purpose of them but Jiggs is just an off the wall choice compared to so many other available ones.

And the first leak did have some holes because Mac, Pac-Man and Mii were not present at E3 but the leak did say they would appear. They did get announced later but still that leaves the whole leak being questionable for me anyway. I used to think it was real but I suppose I just had a change in thought. Anyway, could we please move on from this? I would rather not talk about such old topics.

Oh yeah, and I would argue that on the whole "which is more unique" topic, I would argue that K Rool's "uniquness" is more obvious but with some effort Dixie can be very unique. Her hair alone is very versatile and if Sakurai really tapped into it then I believe she could be an absolutely great fighter.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
In all fairness, Sakurai regards canon material as a nice scaffolding upon which a cool and interesting moveset can be built, not as gospel truth.

Dixie may function similarly to Diddy in the Donkey Kong Country games, but that's to drastically overlook her other potential abilities. She can fly using her trademark ponycopter, of course, and grab things with her prehensile locks, but that's just based on her limited moveset in the Country games. There's also her bubblegum gun, guitar, barrel cannons, Animal Buddies...hell, if you want to get diverse, let her borrow moves from the other Kongs, such as Tiny's shrinking ability and feather gun or even Lanky's handstand (replace hands with hair) and xylophone taunt. It's not as though creative liberties and borrowing elements from other characters in such games is unheard of in Smash.

I agree with @ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman on this, though: I support both Dixie and K. Rool and I'd love to see both of them in the game. I'm certainly not expecting it any time soon, nor will I be particularly salty if it doesn't happen, but I think they've both got enough diversity and distinction to warrant separate places in the roster.

Either way, Donkey Kong is a fine series and it's got plenty of potential to draw from. Dixie and / or K. Rool attest to that in equal measure, in my opinion.

Top Bottom