• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Thread For the Sal Romano/Gematsu Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I have a really hard time believing that the roster is still up in the air, but that claim doesn't impact my ability to believe in the newcomer predictions. Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run really should have sealed the deal.

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
Some food for thought: The word "pokemon" is both singular and plural. The Sal leak said Pokemon from X and Y and during the direct we got Mega Lucario, Mega Charizard X, and Greninja... all playable 6th gen pokemon.

Zacoftheaxes

Smash Cadet
I have a really hard time believing that the roster is still up in the air, but that claim doesn't impact my ability to believe in the newcomer predictions. Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run really should have sealed the deal.
We don't know when the information is form because we know little to nothing about Sal's leaker. He could be sending out information in bits when he actually got it all at the same time (hence why he's talking about characters being up in the air). It's possible he was let go earlier on and only knows some information from the beginning, hence why he said a Pokemon from X/Y when by the point that leak came out he should have known Greninja's name and why he didn't mention Rosalina.

He could have worked early on, which would make sense as he knew both the third parties, which would be the characters they would probably sort out first because the legal process is difficult. If the leaker wants attention, he's obviously going to leak his information very slowly. So it's possible that Sal's leaker got all of his information roughly at the same time. If he could consistently gain access to the information, it'd make sense to give the information when it's more relevant (we wouldn't be hearing about a possible cut at this point if he's still in the loop).

Who knows though, I'm certainly not a leaker so I don't know how that typically goes. We only know what we're being told. As far as we know, Sal's leaker is Don Draper. So anything goes.

We only learned of Lucas, what, two months before the initial release date?
Yeah, people seem to forget the reason we knew so much info about Brawl before it's release is because it was delayed twice and we got a update daily (not just a Sakurai picture, standard Brawl update was four gameplay pictures and a still). This game's only had one official release date and it's barely been pushed back.

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
If there is to be one more character in addition to the proposed 47, I think its safe to say that Mewtwo deserves it the most, as he is not only the most requested character, but also iconic, relevant, and meaningful to Nintendo moreso that other potential characters.

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I think we are getting more reveals soon. CT_Zero did an AMA on Reddit today and said that the invitational players got "extremely hyped"
Sakurai even took a pic of the players when they saw it
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/476508033216835584

EDIT: I misread the original post. This picture has nothing to do with the "hype" announcement. It was just a picture Sakurai took before the invitational started.

EDIT: Zero just said he can no longer reveal whatever he was going to reveal. You can read the AMA here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/c...e3_smash_bros_invitational_champion/?sort=new

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
Hey, I think we are getting more reveals soon. CT_Zero did an AMA on Reddit today and said that the invitational players got "extremely hyped"
Sakurai even took a pic of the players when they saw it
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/476508033216835584
that's out of context
the pic is of the players right before the invitational started and it was in response to a different part of the question

all we know about the announcement is that it's "extremely hype" and "very, very soon"

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
What's an AMA? Probably a dumb question
AMA stands for ask me anything. This acronym is used on this forum site called Reddit where people of interest set up a thread where all they do is answer questions from the public.
that's out of context
the pic is of the players right before the invitational started and it was in response to a different part of the question

all we know about the announcement is that it's "extremely hype" and "very, very soon"
Oh wow, yeah I completely misread that in the AMA. I'll edit my original post.

CosmicKirby

Smash Apprentice
I'm guessing they'll reveal something nice by the end of the month of June. Then they'll keep us in the relative dark with one 1 or 2 veteran reveals in the next 2 months, and then a direct, and then a drought the 3ds version ruins anything ever being new again.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/c...e3_smash_bros_invitational_champion/?sort=new
He just said the announcement was postponed. this ****in sucks...
It probably had something to do with Sakurai's Miiverse post just being the Mario, Megaman, Pacman, and Sonic. :(
I'm genuinely sad for the kid. I believe that what he is saying is true, and that Nintendo postponed the announcement... Hopefully this doesn't destroy his reputation with the community and Nintendo.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I'm guessing they'll reveal something nice by the end of the month of June. Then they'll keep us in the relative dark with one 1 or 2 veteran reveals in the next 2 months, and then a direct, and then a drought the 3ds version ruins anything ever being new again.
What sucks is that we can't really be hyped for directs anymore, because we know it's just gonna be Shulk, Chrom, or Chorus Kids.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
What sucks is that we can't really be hyped for directs anymore, because we know it's just gonna be Shulk, Chrom, or Chorus Kids.
Not necessarily true.

Rosalina and that odd Dark Pit thing give me a vibe there's more than 3 newcomers left.

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
We don't know that. It could be Shulk, Chrom, or the Chorus Kids but it could be someone else entirely. Remember the Sal leaks never mentioned Rosalina.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
So, assuming the 48 and 4 rumor is true there are only two ways this can go.

1. 47 characters plus random button. 4 rows of 12. This means we know our full roster.

2. 48 characters plus random button. 7 rows of 7. One character remains.

Historically, smash rosters finalize into a grid-like pattern. Melee didn't fill the bottom row, but the CSS still ended up with a balanced layout and that grid pattern. It's probably safe to assume this design choice will carry over.

Assuming these to be truths, I can see no other way this can go.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
I'm genuinely sad for the kid. I believe that what he is saying is true, and that Nintendo postponed the announcement... Hopefully this doesn't destroy his reputation with the community and Nintendo.
According to ZeRo I think the announcement is the inclusion of Melee mechanics in some way, not necesarily a character.

ChillySundance

Smash Apprentice
I dunno I'm personally quite happy we're getting Marshal/Chorus kids.

I just find it weird that they referred to the character as 'Chorus Men' and not 'Marshal'. That implies it's multiple characters, specifically based off the 3 Marshal look-alikes in the Rhythm Paradise choir minigame? How odd.

Zero also said that the reveal was something he personally felt hyped for, but also mentioned it being hype for 'the community'. It's either something to do with mechanics that will effect the whole game, or a much-loved veteran returning (Captain Falcon, perhaps, or even Ganondorf getting a new moveset)

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
I fought this leak being true for the longest time but I've pretty much just come to accept it at this point.
I think we will get a good roster out of this, though.
I'm thinking all vets from brawl are back, minus Snake and with Charizard replacing Pokemon Trainer.
I'm still on the fence about the Lucas thing, but don't entirely doubt it, besides the fact that it seems weird for them to be debating anything to do with the roster this late into development.
On top of the entire list of newcomers we have now, and the unrevealed Gematsu newcomers, I feel we will get 3 more characters.
That would bring us up to 49 without the Mii fighters and 52 with them if we take the Lucas leak into consideration.
If not then it is 50 without Mii fighters and 53 with.
Either way that sounds like a solid deal to me, with sm4sh having a much larger and more robust roster than brawl.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
So, assuming the 48 and 4 rumor is true there are only two ways this can go.

1. 47 characters plus random button. 4 rows of 12. This means we know our full roster.

2. 48 characters plus random button. 7 rows of 7. One character remains.

Historically, smash rosters finalize into a grid-like pattern. Melee didn't fill the bottom row, but the CSS still ended up with a balanced layout and that grid pattern. It's probably safe to assume this design choice will carry over.

Assuming these to be truths, I can see no other way this can go.
Five rows of ten, like the fake CSS leak.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
There might have to be a second page for the 3DS characters. That way they can use a long rectangle shape on the Wii U, and basically cut it in half for the 3DS.

Although, with post-launch DLC and all, it might be really difficult to confine it to a nice shape.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
He just said the announcement was postponed. this ****in sucks...
It probably had something to do with Sakurai's Miiverse post just being the Mario, Megaman, Pacman, and Sonic. :(
The guy clarifies later that the news has nothing to do with Nintendo, and has to do with the competitive scene. So, nothing to see here. The guy was just dumb and didn't choose his wording properly. If he had said 'Hey, I have an exciting announcement and it has to do with the competitive scene!' we wouldn't be sitting here wondering how to lynch him.

I figure he did it intentionally to get more people into the AMA.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
With the inclusion of a Rhythm Heaven enemy in Smash Run, I'm starting to feel like Sal's tipper's claims are more legit. Will have to wait for further events to see if the Chorus Men are definitely in.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
you know, I still stand by the fact that every char on the combined leak list, after the first 3 and not including "Chorus Men", is easily guessable and cast just about the widest possible net of newcomers for guessing... so this e3 really doesn't change my mind on the validity of the leak. Everything hinges on Chorus Men/Marshal. Although that said, Sal's post before e3 of "these characters are still coming" NOT including Chorus Men was a bit odd....

I mean OF COURSE Palutena is in (for a plethora of reasons... by far the easiest guess from the start of SSB4). OF COURSE Pac-man is in (look I know there were naysayers, but this is literally the first thing everybody thought when we learned Namco was developing this). OF COURSE a new Pokemon and Little Mac are in (Pokemon's a given. LM was highly expected after the Wii Punch Out reboot). Mii's, I could see people denying, but they have been in nearly every Nintendo family game for the entire time since Brawl, so while I REALLY didn't want them, I kind of knew they were coming.

But all that said... I really don't care anymore. My main reason for not liking this leak were Mii's, and I really gotta say that the dev team wow'ed me with them. Here I was expecting a Wii Sports-based moveset, and instead I got VERY cool looking characters. To that, I say bravo to whoever the character designers were, and I'm actually looking forward to them.

To be honest now, I think Chrom and Shulk are less-safe guesses than they used to be. I could see Chrom being included, but Ike's reveal made that at least a bit less likely... Shulk has always been an oddball for me. Now that we know for sure that the new X game is not exactly the same world, etc... he's not hugely relevant, so his chances have gone down. I mean I think they're still decent guesses and they have a good shot, but less-so than when they were originally added to the leak.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'd guess that the 3DS select screen will scroll like this:

Played the video just to hear the menu music..... been too long.

BTW, I think we will likely get a blow out direct before launch, much like Nintendo did with Mario Kart. We will most likely see more new comers then.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
you know, I still stand by the fact that every char on the combined leak list, after the first 3 and not including "Chorus Men", is easily guessable and cast just about the widest possible net of newcomers for guessing... so this e3 really doesn't change my mind on the validity of the leak. Everything hinges on Chorus Men/Marshal. Although that said, Sal's post before e3 of "these characters are still coming" NOT including Chorus Men was a bit odd....

I mean OF COURSE Palutena is in (for a plethora of reasons... by far the easiest guess from the start of SSB4). OF COURSE Pac-man is in (look I know there were naysayers, but this is literally the first thing everybody thought when we learned Namco was developing this). OF COURSE a new Pokemon and Little Mac are in (Pokemon's a given. LM was highly expected after the Wii Punch Out reboot). Mii's, I could see people denying, but they have been in nearly every Nintendo family game for the entire time since Brawl, so while I REALLY didn't want them, I kind of knew they were coming.

But all that said... I really don't care anymore. My main reason for not liking this leak were Mii's, and I really gotta say that the dev team wow'ed me with them. Here I was expecting a Wii Sports-based moveset, and instead I got VERY cool looking characters. To that, I say bravo to whoever the character designers were, and I'm actually looking forward to them.

To be honest now, I think Chrom and Shulk are less-safe guesses than they used to be. I could see Chrom being included, but Ike's reveal made that at least a bit less likely... Shulk has always been an oddball for me. Now that we know for sure that the new X game is not exactly the same world, etc... he's not hugely relevant, so his chances have gone down. I mean I think they're still decent guesses and they have a good shot, but less-so than when they were originally added to the leak.
Except we don't know that. Just because the Bionis and Mechonis aren't there doesn't mean it's not the same world, especially when you factor in the ending of Chronicles.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Except we don't know that. Just because the Bionis and Mechonis aren't there doesn't mean it's not the same world, especially when you factor in the ending of Chronicles.
Thank you

I know know what my mom felt like when me and my brother talked about video games

Like people are talking a different language

Last edited:

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Regarding that ZeRo thing, he also said this when I asked him "When will whatever this is be revealed?"

He responded "For now, I'm not sure anymore. Definitely in the upcoming months, though."

He also said that it would be real big for the competitive community, so Idk.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
That's fair... I was more talking about how they specifically talked about X as "Sort of a spiritual successor to Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii", and taking that as meaning it's not a direct sequel, thus no Shulk.

Admittedly, there's a fair bit of assumption on that... and I do still think Shulk has about as much chance of making it in as anybody, but slightly diminished from before we knew as much about X.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
If it's been confirmed it's for the competitive community, then whatever ZeRo knows has no relation to what has been stated in the Sal Leak. Please use the Social thread for such a discussion rather than here.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I wonder if we'll get any specifics from Sal on planned character dlc now that it seems like the main roster could be sewn up.

Do you think they've already decided on who will be dlc or do you think it's something that will be decided closer to launch? (or maybe it'll be an ongoing decision process)

CosmicKirby

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if we'll get any specifics from Sal on planned character dlc now that it seems like the main roster could be sewn up.

Do you think they've already decided on who will be dlc or do you think it's something that will be decided closer to launch? (or maybe it'll be an ongoing decision process)
Given Sal's and the leaker's track record, if there is another specific Smash Direct in the future, ( I have my money on there being one more) there's a decent likelihood that the leaker will get a bit more info and email it to Sal on the day of the direct.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a list of characters that are being heavily considered for, or already determined to be, DLC.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
What if by some chance that Chrom actually is Lucina and the Choir Men/Man is actually a collection of Rhythm Haven Characters. He just could tell who the characters were like "Pokemon X and Y" :troll:
It's like, What if by some chance that Chrom actually is Takamaru :troll:

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
Not necessarily true.

Rosalina and that odd Dark Pit thing give me a vibe there's more than 3 newcomers left.
If Dark Pit is a stand alone character I'll be extremely mad. We don't need 3 characters from that dumb franchise just because it's Sakurai's new baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom