• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Thread For the Sal Romano/Gematsu Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChillySundance

Smash Apprentice
while I do think the leak is true, people saying that the Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash run are proof need to remember that there's also Dig Dug enemies in Smash Run.

Though granted, they could very well be representing Pac Man...

Shroob

Sup?
while I do think the leak is true, people saying that the Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash run are proof need to remember that there's also Dig Dug enemies in Smash Run.

Though granted, they could very well be representing Pac Man...
From what I've heard, the Dig Dug enemies have appeared in Pac-Man games, and keep in mind that Pac-Man has various Namco summons.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
The third one point you brought up killed the second part for me. Also, didn't he say that more characters other than Palutena, Mii Fighters, and Pac-Man were supposed to be shown?

I hope he was wrong about Chrom. I would love to have Lucina or Robin over him.
And last year he said Mii, Pac-Man, and Little Mac were supposed to show up. And we all know they're in the game at this point. To me, the time doesn't and shouldn't matter as much as the confirmation. But they were confirmed. And it's only a matter of time until we see Shulk, Chrom, and Chorus Men.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Pookas have appeared in Pac-Man games, so they are technically Pac-Man's enemies in Smash Run. Plus, Pac-Man represents all of Namco, as seen in his moveset. All enemies are from a playable character's franchise, with the SSE enemies being there because it is Super Smash Brothers, so even though the Sneaky Spirit could be there just to reference a franchise, it's very likely that Chorus Men/Man or some other character from Rhythm Heaven is playable.

(I have never played the Rhythm Heaven games, though, so it wouldn't really bother me much if there was no playable character, although the Chorus Men seem like they would be really unique if playable, being 2D like Mr. Game & Watch, so it wouldn't bother me if there was a playable character, either.)

Staarih

Smash Master
I guess I'm slowly accepting the fact that the Chorus Kids might be in... the only thing that makes me sort of await their reveal is the fact that Sakurai can work wonders on virtually any character, as shown with the Mii Fighters. I'm thinking the Chorus Kids will be a cool addition, with a quirky, unexpected moveset or something else special about them to make them work great, something we might not even think of. But still, I remain slightly cautious of them.

Chrom and Shulk I welcome with open arms though.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I really don't mind if the characters of this leak are in. Sure, I'd pick Robin over Chrom, but what the heck. I'd even enjoy a RH character. What I ca 't get past is this: Why didn't Sal ever name Rosalina? And how about the Chorus Kids? I'm pretty sure they're not as reconizable as Greninja.

And what about all the mystery around Ridley? With those things in mind, here's what I came to.

1. The leaker is right, but threw in some of his own predictions.

2. The leaker is false, and has both gotten very lucky and a small amount of info. (Mii Fighters)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I really don't mind if the characters of this leak are in. Sure, I'd pick Robin over Chrom, but what the heck. I'd even enjoy a RH character. What I ca 't get past is this: Why didn't Sal ever name Rosalina? And how about the Chorus Kids? I'm pretty sure they're not as reconizable as Greninja.

And what about all the mystery around Ridley? With those things in mind, here's what I came to.

1. The leaker is right, but threw in some of his own predictions.

2. The leaker is false, and has both gotten very lucky and a small amount of info. (Mii Fighters)
I think the leaker is right and threw in some of his own predictions. He got info shortly before E3 last year and also predicted Mii and Pac-Man. He predicted a bunch of additional characters later (perhaps he saw something about Rhythm Heaven in the game and chose Chorus Men) then got some additional info before E3 this year, confirming that Mii was called "Mii Fighter" and Palutena was called "Goddess Palutena."

Its hard to tell, though. There's so many things off with the info, we just know for sure parts are legit.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
The second point, one could argue that Marshal and the Chorus Men are very similar in design, but if Marshal gets in over the Chorus Man, but both Shulk and Chrom are playable, I have a hard time saying the leak was fake.
Maybe if the guy who gave the second leak is an entirely different person from the E3 2013 leaker and he got fired very early in development (before the roster was completely finalized) since that's the only way it matches up with how the second leak doesn't know Greninja by name but the first leaker knows that Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Mega Man would be revealed at E3 2013.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Maybe if the guy who gave the second leak is an entirely different person from the E3 2013 leaker and he got fired very early in development (before the roster was completely finalized) since that's the only way it matches up with how the second leak doesn't know Greninja by name but the first leaker knows that Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Mega Man would be revealed at E3 2013.
...Okay? I don't see how that relates to my point that if Marshal gets in over Chorus Men, but both Shulk AND Chrom are also playable that the leak is still most likely correct.

Ginger Hail

Smash Apprentice
From what Sal has said, it was the same person leaking the info.

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
A little of both. I think there's a lot of characters that having been "waiting their turn" since the Melee days and I think there's some decent retro prospects not looked into yet.
Someone pointed out on another board that most likely Sakurai had his hands tied this time and was forced to choose the more relevant characters that could lead to some kind of other game purchase from the franchise the character comes from. A lot of theses characters were "all-stars" sure but they really didn't reflect what the fans wanted as strongly as the Brawl roster showed. I just find it odd sakurai didn't even bother with an official character poll. Like nintendo wanted him to focus on top franchises. It may also explain Sakurai randomly flip flopping on who he belives should be playable and all of a sudden avoiding Japan only characters, despite stopping the idea of axing the FE reps in the western version of melee for that reason. Again as that poster put it, the bigger the budget, the more likely Nintendo doesn't allow him to add certain characters or take time on characters like Ridley. Just get the game done with the content that will make them the most money the fastest.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
About Pac-Man...we know Capcom is co-developing the game before last year E3? if not,,,well.

For Chrom and Chorus Men, the problem is that the leaker mentioned them again with updated information (Mii Fighter), I highly doubt the developers dropped them in the middle of the work for another character.

D

Deleted member

The leaker is right, but threw in some of his own predictions.
This seems about right. This would explain why the info about Lucas isn't a definite "he is cut" or a definite "he is in." The leaker is simply predicting incorrectly that Lucas will be cut.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
This seems about right. This would explain why the info about Lucas isn't a definite "he is cut" or a definite "he is in." The leaker is simply predicting incorrectly that Lucas will be cut.
Or it could just be that him being cut or not is still being discussed
Also it is possible that he received outdated info when he leaks it
Like when he said Mii, Lil Mac and Pac Man was going to appear at e3 last year. He simply received outdated info that they will appear there. It doesnt mean that he is fake, its just that nintendo changed their plans

Last edited:

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to raise a point.

The thing about older franchises I feel... is that for the most part, outside of a few anomalies, Brawl covered the basics of who you'd want in Smash, and Smash4 built on top of that. Yes, Ridley, K.Rool, Dixie, etc could be additions, but as it stands, the roster to me, if it's 47 characters, is fairly solid in the 'all-stars' department.

Unless, you meant retro franchises.
This is exactly how I feel, as well. The only character from the "classic" games that isn't represented, but really should be, is K. Rool (in my view, at least). Adding much of anything else would really be a bit silly and, while they may be good, interesting characters, there are other representatives of Nintendo that might be better suited. Rhythm Heaven was a very well received, new IP that can help keep Smash out of the dredges, for example. I expect to see a Splatoon Assist Trophy, if not a DLC character, considering how heavily it was promoted at E3.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Or it could just be that him being cut or not is still being discussed
Also it is possible that he received outdated info when he leaks it
Like when he said Mii, Lil Mac and Pac Man was going to appear at e3 last year. He simply received outdated info that they will appear there. It doesnt mean that he is fake, its just that nintendo changed their plans
There is no way Sakurai or anyone at Nintendo are still considering characters for SSB4. The roster was finalized within months of the initial planning.
I think the leaker is right and threw in some of his own predictions. He got info shortly before E3 last year and also predicted Mii and Pac-Man. He predicted a bunch of additional characters later (perhaps he saw something about Rhythm Heaven in the game and chose Chorus Men) then got some additional info before E3 this year, confirming that Mii was called "Mii Fighter" and Palutena was called "Goddess Palutena."

Its hard to tell, though. There's so many things off with the info, we just know for sure parts are legit.
What else would you consider 'off'?

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
The question is how early would he have been fired? When development started it was before X and Y AND Awakening were both out. I'm surprised he was able to know Chrom and not have him called "Awakening Character"

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There is no way Sakurai or anyone at Nintendo are still considering characters for SSB4. The roster was finalized within months of the initial planning.

What else would you consider 'off'?
Lucas, Pokemon From X/Y, missing Rosalina, not getting Villager's name right, not accurately predicting when the characters would be announced (Pac-Man/Mii last year E3), not getting fired a long time ago for leaking accurate information.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Not getting Greninja's name right isn't really an issue because there actually can be an innocent explanation for it. Greninja's name could have been known and the guy could have just forgotten (people who don't know much about Pokemon have 0 attention span for it), or maybe only the Japanese name was chosen at the time, or maybe this guy isn't the direct source or whatever. Those possibilities are basically impossible to disprove at this point however odd they might seem to us.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Not getting Greninja's name right isn't really an issue because there actually can be an innocent explanation for it. Greninja's name could have been known and the guy could have just forgotten (people who don't know much about Pokemon have 0 attention span for it), or maybe only the Japanese name was chosen at the time, or maybe this guy isn't the direct source or whatever. Those possibilities are basically impossible to disprove at this point however odd they might seem to us.
And then 50% of the text leaks are brought back from the dead.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
missing Rosalina, not getting Villager's name right,.
Rosalina was announced before the second leak, and the guy was only posting leaks when he knew there would be Smash information.

Getting Villager's name wrong isn't really an issue as Animal Crossing Guy could really only refer to one thing and nobody would even know what he meant if he said "Villager."

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Rosalina was announced before the second leak, and the guy was only posting leaks when he knew there would be Smash information.
Little Mac.
Getting Villager's name wrong isn't really an issue as Animal Crossing Guy could really only refer to one thing and nobody would even know what he meant if he said "Villager."
Eh, got a point there.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Based on the fact that this guy got numerous things right, this leak should pretty much be taken as a legitimate leak. Nobody guessed the Mii as "Mii Fighter". Hardly anybody seriously predicted Wii Fit Trainer. Few people expected Villager. Everybody figured Mewtwo would get in, and not an actual Pokemon X/Y newcomer.

This guy has gotten too much right to be making lucky guesses. This whole list is happening at this point.

The good news is, that if DLC is happening, then that means even if Lucas is cut, then he'd be a prime candidate for DLC. Same for Mewtwo if he isn't in.

Hence why I'm not even worried.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
To people who think Falco would get cut... I have a strong suspicion that Falco will most likely not get cut, if only because I feel that his Final Smash will be 'Luigi-fied', and Wolf will most likely borrow it, which is why I feel that the 47 characters will include both Falco and Wolf. I just have a strange feeling now that we have seen a few new Final Smashes that do make sense, Poltergust and Samus' ship, I feel that an Arwing/Wolfen is not out of the question.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Little Mac..
Well he predicted Mac in the E3 2013 leak, and he was also revealed before leak 2.

But did we know there was going to be Smash info in that direct? I think Sakurai might've retweeted the direct time, but I don't think it was explicitly stated there would be Smash info.

Each leak came before big, known Smash events, that being E3 2013, the dedicated April Smash Direct, and E3 2014.

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Well he predicted Mac in the E3 2013 leak, and he was also revealed before leak 2.

But did we know there was going to be Smash info in that direct? I think Sakurai might've retweeted the direct time, but I don't think it was explicitly stated there would be Smash info.

Each leak came before big, known Smash events, that being E3 2013, the dedicated April Smash Direct, and E3 2014.
What I am saying is that kills your Rosalina argument. Obviously this person wasn't fired and the leak has updated info.

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
Even if they were easy guesses (and I don't think they were, for a variety of reasons) that's not the point. The point is he got 8/11 right and none wrong. The sum is greater then the parts here.

I wanted to like this post because I think Dark Pit would be a wasted slot, but I actually like Kid Icarus so BOOOOO!
I didn't actually mean that the franchise is dumb, I just meant it was one game, as in not that great or important. Bad choice of words I guess.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Based on the fact that this guy got numerous things right, this leak should pretty much be taken as a legitimate leak. Nobody guess the Mii as "Mii Fighter". Hardly anybody seriously predicted Wii Fit Trainer. Few people expected Villager. Everybody figured Mewtwo would get in, and not an actual Pokemon X/Y newcomer.

This guy has gotten too much right to be making lucky guesses. This whole list is happening at this point.

The good news is, that if DLC is happening, then that means even if Lucas is cut, then he'd be a prime candidate for DLC. Same for Mewtwo if he isn't in.

Hence why I'm not even worried.
When he guessed Mii Fighter, he also said the specific name for Palutena as "Lady Palutena" which is wrong.

I know it might not be a big deal, but it still is something incorrect.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
When he guessed Mii Fighter, he also said the specific name for Palutena as "Lady Palutena" which is wrong.
You're getting way too specific. It's still Palutena. That's still correct.

If you're looking for a reason to debunk the leak when it's already been proven, I simply don't know what to tell you. There are Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run which further solidifies Chorus Men, which in turn further solidifies the leak.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
You're getting way too specific. It's still Palutena. That's still correct.

If you're looking for a reason to debunk the leak when it's already been proven, I simply don't know what to tell you. There are Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run which further solidifies Chorus Men, which in turn further solidifies the leak.
I'm not trying to debunk it, I'm just saying that even though he got the exact name right for "Mii Fighter" he still got "Lady Palutena" wrong, so him knowing the exact name as "Mii Fighter" in my opinion doesn't mean much.

I don't even care about the leak anymore, I've given up on hoping that this roster would contain any newcomer I would actually like aside from Palutena the minute Pac-Man was shown.

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
To people who think Falco would get cut... I have a strong suspicion that Falco will most likely not get cut, if only because I feel that his Final Smash will be 'Luigi-fied', and Wolf will most likely borrow it, which is why I feel that the 47 characters will include both Falco and Wolf. I just have a strange feeling now that we have seen a few new Final Smashes that do make sense, Poltergust and Samus' ship, I feel that an Arwing/Wolfen is not out of the question.
Falco won't get cut, if someone from starfox is going to get it will be Wolf :dr-_-:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
That's not true though. No one else has done that, it's not easy.
Um like dozens of rosters have included those characters, and they've all been talked about endlessly on several Internet boards... So... No

The only thing that makes this leak believable to this day (imo) is the first 3 chars... Literally without WFT, I don't think we'd even be talking about the leak today. That's my entire point. There were those that believed the leak day 1, and more power to them... I think those that jump on the leak because some of the most obvious and guessed chars have been revealed are kind of ridiculous. If you believe it because of WFT, great. Keep believing it. But the new reveals don't make a difference imo.

I also think it's a bit ridiculous to completely dismiss the fact that the leaker messed up the names of several of the chars (and even made it a complete generalization for greninja), then in a later post to make it some proof of something that he nailed the names of Wii Fit Trainer and Mii Fighters. If you use the correct names as a convincing factor that he knew something, you also have to explain how he didn't know other things.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Um like dozens of rosters have included those characters, and they've all been talked about endlessly on several Internet boards... So... No

The only thing that makes this leak believable to this day (imo) is the first 3 chars... Literally without WFT, I don't think we'd even be talking about the leak today. That's my entire point. There were those that believed the leak day 1, and more power to them... I think those that jump on the leak because some of the most obvious and guessed chars have been revealed are kind of ridiculous. If you believe it because of WFT, great. Keep believing it. But the new reveals don't make a difference imo.

I also think it's a bit ridiculous to completely dismiss the fact that the leaker messed up the names of 2 of the chars (and even made it a complete generalization for greninja), then in a later post to make it some proof of something that he nailed the names of Wii Fit Trainer and Mii Fighters. If you use the correct names as a convincing factor that he knew something, you also have to explain how he didn't know other things.
In my specific case; I did not expect Mii Fighters for the same reason I did not expect Pokemon Trainer. There were too many overt detrimental aspects pertaining to the notion; however, I was incorrect. Apparently developing three separate characters and banning Mii Fighters online was a plausible solution to Sakurai (repugnant decision making IMO). So that is why I "jumped" on the leak. Mii Fighters were the only characters preventing Mii (haha) from believing the leaked roster.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I also think it's a bit ridiculous to completely dismiss the fact that the leaker messed up the names of several of the chars (and even made it a complete generalization for greninja), then in a later post to make it some proof of something that he nailed the names of Wii Fit Trainer and Mii Fighters. If you use the correct names as a convincing factor that he knew something, you also have to explain how he didn't know other things.
The second thing that makes the leak believable is that he later updated and got "Mii Fighter" right.

Anyway, I'm not trying to debunk the leak, I'm just saying there's a couple holes in it that makes it not fully accurate, and its possible that the remaining three characters aren't exactly the same as he suggested (he couldn't get Greninja but got Chrom?), and its not the full roster. That's really it. We'll have to see. We've basically got an Awakening, Xenoblade, and Rhythm Heaven rep for sure.

The one holding me back is Chrom, because I don't think they would change the voice actor.

So to me it's.
1. The leak is wrong and Mercer isn't lying.
2. Mercer flat out lied and the leak is correct.
Not possible. The leak is correct. The option you missed is:
3. Mercer isn't lying but the leaker got the wrong "Fire Emblem Awakening" character.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
What I am saying is that kills your Rosalina argument. Obviously this person wasn't fired and the leak has updated info.
I don't recall arguing against either of those things and I think there has been some kind of error in communication. What do you think my argument is?

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
The second thing that makes the leak believable is that he later updated and got "Mii Fighter" right.

Anyway, I'm not trying to debunk the leak, I'm just saying there's a couple holes in it that makes it not fully accurate, and its possible that the remaining three characters aren't exactly the same as he suggested (he couldn't get Greninja but got Chrom?), and its not the full roster. That's really it. We'll have to see. We've basically got an Awakening, Xenoblade, and Rhythm Heaven rep for sure.

Not possible. The leak is correct. The option you missed is:
3. Mercer isn't lying but the leaker got the wrong "Fire Emblem Awakening" character.
Saying the leaker isn't wrong and then saying he got the wrong character is contradictory. If he got the wrong Character, then the leak is wrong.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Saying the leaker isn't wrong and then saying he got the wrong character is contradictory. If he got the wrong Character, then the leak is wrong.
In other words, he has some missing info. The leaker has legit info. Its possible some of his info was mixed up. There's no denying he's accurate at this point, and a Rhythm Heaven enemy has already been shown. I was saying that he might have had a small bit of info wrong while the rest was legit (and it was).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom