• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Thread For the Sal Romano/Gematsu Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
It means Rhythm Heaven is represented. It does nothing more than hints at them being in the game. It can't hurt their chances, after all. Also, Marshall is possible instead of them. We really don't know if it was Chorus Men or Chorus Man.
Nah it only proves that that enemy is in the game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nah it only proves that that enemy is in the game.
Name a character under a symbol that didn't overall have someone in the character data in the game. The characters with the Smash Symbols(namely the Fighting Alloys) were in the character data along with Bowser, etc. We had Smash Run enemies from literally every character among the character data in some way. Also, Mii Fighters are a SSB Universe character officially(unless they change it by the time of release).

Basically, so far, I do believe there's a high chance they'll be playable due to this and the data rules for Weak Enemies. That applies to Weak Enemies in Melee too. All of them came from a series that had character data.

I believe this hints at them(not proves they're in, but is suspicious), and the game's data from two games straight does seem to support this notion.

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
Wow the leak most likely was true all along. I get Shulk, so I'm not complaining.

Shroob

Sup?
So now.... I have a question.

Considering that we know the Sneaky Spirit is in a hand drawn style, I honestly have to wonder about the legitimacy of that old video 'leak'. While they did post fake videos, what if that was to deter us? We had never seen the balloon fight stage in that shape at the time, with said stage being incredibly new at the time, and to my knowledge, we hadn't heard that rendition of Balloon Trip either...

The main complaint was that it looked 'low quality'... Well, if the Rhythm Heaven reps are in fact 2d and hand drawn, what could this mean?

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Just putting this out there
Link
The Greninja example is flawed; Sakurai said they had reserved a spot for Greninja based on early concept art, but concept art does not equal a name. Pokemon has to come up with several different Pokemon names for each version of the localizations, and names may be the last thing they come up with. I can totally believe that Greninja was unnamed when the leaker got his info.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
So now.... I have a question.

Considering that we know the Sneaky Spirit is in a hand drawn style, I honestly have to wonder about the legitimacy of that old video 'leak'. While they did post fake videos, what if that was to deter us? We had never seen the balloon fight stage in that shape at the time, with said stage being incredibly new at the time, and to my knowledge, we hadn't heard that rendition of Balloon Trip either...

The main complaint was that it looked 'low quality'... Well, if the Rhythm Heaven reps are in fact 2d and hand drawn, what could this mean?

For the sake of argument, lets say it's real.

It would fit the style of the Sm4sh run Ghost, so that's a point for it. It also has the basic details like the jump circle when he double jumps. However, this certainly doesn't mean Sal's wrong, but wouldn't this be Marshal, and not Chorus Men?

Shroob

Sup?
For the sake of argument, lets say it's real.

It would fit the style of the Sm4sh run Ghost, so that's a point for it. It also has the basic details like the jump circle when he double jumps. However, this certainly doesn't mean Sal's wrong, but wouldn't this be Marshal, and not Chorus Men?
No, that's a Chorus Man. It has a different shaped head that Marshal, lacks his eternal smile, and it has a bowtie.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
The Greninja example is flawed; Sakurai said they had reserved a spot for Greninja based on early concept art, but concept art does not equal a name.

Greninja (Japanese: ゲッコウガ Gekkouga)

Huh. Look at that. Concept art for Greninja, and it's got his Japanese name there. Interesting thing to note is how similar the concept art here is to the final product in Smash.

Carry on.

EDIT: For reference:

Last edited:

Neo Zero

No, that's a Chorus Man. It has a different shaped head that Marshal, lacks his eternal smile, and it has a bowtie.
Fair enough, I know very little about the two. I saw another video in the side bar that showed more footage however and it looks like this all just came from the Direct.

Huh. Look at that. Concept art for Greninja, and it's got his Japanese name there.

Carry on.
Ike was just "Fire Emblem Character" before he was finally picked. The info could of come before Greninja was formely chosen.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Just putting this out there
Link
My comment I posted on that same article:

JaidynReiman said:
The problem is a brand new leak was posted less than an hour before the digital event and correctly got "Mii Fighter" and "Goddess Palutena" right in the new leak. Yes, it is dubious in the way some of the reveals came out, and it incredibly questionable if the guy knows everything, but we know for a fact that he DID know SOMETHING. This is undeniable.

We also know that Rhythm Heaven is represented in Smash Run. There are pics showing Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run. We can pretty much guarantee the leak is correct, and the only possible inconsistencies are on who the Awakening character is and who the Rhythm Heaven character is.

Plus, there's a very, very high chance that this isn't the full list of Newcomers. In fact, currently we have less Newcomers than Melee. My guess is that these characters are in the game's starting roster and there's still a few secret newcomers planned for post-launch.

I'm sorry, I wanted to believe the leak was fake, but another leak posted and got both Mii's and Palutena's names EXACTLY right.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Huh. Look at that. Concept art for Greninja, and it's got his Japanese name there. Interesting thing to note is how similar the concept art here is to the final product in Smash.

Carry on.
And you have proof Sakurai saw this exact one and not something else? And proof he outright wrote down something other than "Pokemon from X & Y". The problem is? Sakurai outright admitted he saw his art and wrote it down as Pokemon from X & Y, instead of the name. Regardless of what this says, the creator's official word trumps this. It's very possible he hadn't decided to use Greninja just yet, so put down Pokemon from X & Y as a placeholder till then. Which is what our leaker saw, respectively. I highly doubt the leaker saw the concept art, in which case, he could've given the information.

Pretty sure that Sakurai's own word holds more water than one image here. We know that part was legit already. Word of God proved it.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
And you have proof Sakurai saw this exact one and not something else? And proof he outright wrote down something other than "Pokemon from X & Y".
I edited in the proof up top there. You're just super-fast. Greninja fast. Y'all have a look at that proof in my original post up there and tell me Sakurai didn't see that exact concept art.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I edited in the proof up top there. You're just super-fast. Greninja fast. Y'all have a look at that proof in my original post up there and tell me Sakurai didn't see that exact concept art.
Fair enough.

Now explain why he admitted he wrote it down as "Pokemon from X & Y" then. Which the leaker apparently saw, and not the character name. The problem is, he chose not to for whatever reason. It's not hard to believe he saw multiple concepts art, wrote down Pokemon from X & Y, then waited a bit to choose.

Neo Zero

This might be a dumb question, but is Sakurai even an artist? He could of picked Greninja (maybe he also considered Delphox and Chesnaught which is why it was kept Pokemon X/Y) then had whoever makes those nice renders to make one based on the material given.

And as I said, Ike was just "Fire Emblem Character" back in Brawl...of course it opens up the question of why was Chrom, Chrom and not "Fire Emblem Character"

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So how convinced is everybody now? I'm at 80%.
I'm 100% convinced the guy had leaked details, but only 90% convinced all the info is entirely accurate. We can expect Shulk, a Rhythm Heaven character, and an Awakening character for sure. I am curious why they keep playing "Id~Purpose" though instead of a song that more represents Chrom. Its entirely possible the guy heard info on "Awakening's main character" and immediately though Chrom instead of Robin, who is Awakening's real main character.

And there's no way to guarantee if its Marshal, Chorus Men, or someone else. It could've changed in development at some point. We'll have to see how things play out. I'm pretty confident at this point it is Chrom, although there are a couple hints it mind not be, and I'm holding out for that idea.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Fair enough.

Now explain why he admitted he wrote it down as "Pokemon from X & Y" then. Which the leaker apparently saw, and not the character name. The problem is, he chose not to for whatever reason. It's not hard to believe he saw multiple concepts art, wrote down Pokemon from X & Y, then waited a bit to choose.
You must have read it wrong.

"All of the characters to consider were on our internal roster from the beginning of development. We had a slot for a new Pokemon reserved, but did not wait for X and Y."

Which says they wanted a new Pokemon, they didn't know which one at the time, but clearly had no idea what they wanted. They said they had a slot for A new Pokemon, not specifically one from X and Y. They didn't want to wait for X and Y to release to see what was popular, looked at early reference drawings (i.e., concept art) and picked Greninja.

If there was ever a placeholder, it probably said 'New Pokemon' or 'We want a new Pokemon representative' or something along those lines, and not 'Pokemon from X and Y'. The fact that X/Y was developed right next to Smash, essentially, was a happy coincidence.

Like I've said already, all this really says is that the guy only has access to E3-related promotional material.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
So.... I hate to beat a dead horse, but, opinions on the vid?
Easily faked. Why are there no other characters? Double-jump effect is weird.

Also, the way the stars twinkle is different from the original Balloon Fighter, and looks really bad. I don't think a detail like that would be missed by Sakurai, who is otherwise very particular.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Also, is it just me, or am I the only one to find it weird that there's more hints to Chrom and even the friggen Chorus Man than SHULK?

Arena Fenox and the Sneaky Spirit are decent hints, but we've seen 0 Xenoblade stuff.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm 100 percent convinced the guy knew what he was talking about and we'll get Shulk, Chrom, and Chorus Men. My issue is Rosalina proves he didn't know it all. So I'm like 45 percent sure that we only have 3 more newcomers coming.

Too many things add up to that part being incorrect and it's not like Sal's source ever said ''That's that for newcomers."

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You must have read it wrong.

"All of the characters to consider were on our internal roster from the beginning of development. We had a slot for a new Pokemon reserved, but did not wait for X and Y."

Which says they wanted a new Pokemon, they didn't know which one at the time, but clearly had no idea what they wanted. They said they had a slot for A new Pokemon, not specifically one from X and Y. They didn't want to wait for X and Y to release to see what was popular, looked at early reference drawings (i.e., concept art) and picked Greninja.

If there was ever a placeholder, it probably said 'New Pokemon' or 'We want a new Pokemon representative' or something along those lines, and not 'Pokemon from X and Y'. The fact that X/Y was developed right next to Smash, essentially, was a happy coincidence.

Like I've said already, all this really says is that the guy only has access to E3-related promotional material.
I really highly doubt it. He does say "new" Pokemon, which can be construed more than one way. Also, Sal's leaker has been perfect on his list of characters beyond that. Plus, this doesn't even say "I listed "New Pokemon", new isn't even capitalized. Actually reading the wording, he is kind of vague on how he wrote the character on the list. It's still actually possible he wrote "Pokemon from X & Y". However, I do concede it's possible he didn't in this case.

Re: Vid: Probably debugging or some new mode. It looks very believable, though. Also, that might mean it's one single Chorus Man too.

Last edited:
So.... I hate to beat a dead horse, but, opinions on the vid?
I'm still doubtful about that clip. Under what conditions can a lone character walk around an empty map like that? Aside from debugging tools, no way. If it was real, I think we'd at least see him engaging another character in combat and not alone in such a way that it's easy to fake with a flash animation.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Also, is it just me, or am I the only one to find it weird that there's more hints to Chrom and even the friggen Chorus Man than SHULK?

Arena Fenox and the Sneaky Spirit are decent hints, but we've seen 0 Xenoblade stuff.
Maybe because we weren't suppose to see Rhytmn Heaven hints and Fire Emblem hints could mean ANY Fire Emblem character really.

When it comes to Xenoblade, the minute you show any Xenoblade people are automatically going to assume Shulk is present in the roster as he's really the only person who fits.

Neo Zero

That's....actually a good point. Has no one seen any Mechons in Smash Run?

D

Deleted member

Maybe because there are no Xenoblade enemies and they don't want to show a Xenoblade stage until Shulk is revealed?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I think Rhythm Heaven was probably included by accident. Xenoblade will likely have enemies in there later.

As for Chrom, we already have FE reps, so it means nothing. Plus, Id~Purpose plays on Arena Ferox, which is really more Robin's theme than Chrom's. The hints are actually closer to hinting at Robin than Chrom.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I really highly doubt it. He does say "new" Pokemon, which can be construed more than one way. Also, Sal's leaker has been perfect on his list of characters beyond that. Plus, this doesn't even say "I listed "New Pokemon", new isn't even capitalized. Actually reading the wording, he is kind of vague on how he wrote the character on the list. It's still actually possible he wrote "Pokemon from X & Y". However, I do concede it's possible he didn't in this case.

Re: Vid: Probably debugging or some new mode. It looks very believable, though. Also, that might mean it's one single Chorus Man too.
Well, it could have been either way, honestly. We'll never really know for sure. Regardless of what the situation is, it doesn't really matter. I'm sticking to the fact that there's going to be more newcomers than what's left to be revealed of the Gematsu Leak.

As for the Chorus Men vid, I predicted a while ago that the best way for them to approach Chorus Men is to have him as a summoner character that brings in the other two for certain attacks, so any new entities are on the screen a minimal amount of time, but still has the character accurate and interesting.

Would also be a good way to bring in other Rhythm Heaven entities, too, for additional wow factor.

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
Just poking in to point out that the concept art you've presented does not necessarily reflect the concept art Sakurai received. If you just look through the different images of Greninja in the selected concept art, you'll see that the style is pretty different throughout. This is likely a promotional image showing various stages in its development rather than some kind of "master document." My guess is that Sakurai asked to see some of the designs for the upcoming Pokémon game for use in Sm4sh and he was presented with a handful that Game Freak (or whoever) thought would work out well.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
I'd like some clarification: Is this the leak that claims that all of Brawl's veterans - and Mewtwo - are returning barring Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucas, and Snake?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, it could have been either way, honestly. We'll never really know for sure. Regardless of what the situation is, it doesn't really matter. I'm sticking to the fact that there's going to be more newcomers than what's left to be revealed of the Gematsu Leak.

As for the Chorus Men vid, I predicted a while ago that the best way for them to approach Chorus Men is to have him as a summoner character that brings in the other two for certain attacks, so any new entities are on the screen a minimal amount of time, but still has the character accurate and interesting.

Would also be a good way to bring in other Rhythm Heaven entities, too, for additional wow factor.
To be fair, I never once said other newcomers aren't possible. I even think it's likely to happen. And I don't just mean Ridley(who is overly teased. Remember Palutena's teasing? Yeahhhhh.)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So, on this concept of enemies in Smash Run, anyone think we might get something like Fire Emblem enemies? Might be a bit hard since FE tends to have human enemies, but then again, it might actually be possible. Like different classes of FE characters, or Revenant enemies from Gaiden, Sacred Stones, and Awakening.

I'd like some clarification: Is this the leak that claims that all of Brawl's veterans - and Mewtwo - are returning barring Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucas, and Snake?
No, this leak does bring up Lucas or Ness getting cut (more likely Lucas), but I think we'll get more than 4 cuts at this point. Jiggly is incredibly possible to get cut, and even if she's not, she'll probably have lower priority than Mewtwo right now. Falco may also get cut because custom movesets make him irrelevant.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Just poking in to point out that the concept art you've presented does not necessarily reflect the concept art Sakurai received. If you just look through the different images of Greninja in the selected concept art, you'll see that the style is pretty different throughout. This is likely a promotional image showing various stages in its development rather than some kind of "master document." My guess is that Sakurai asked to see some of the designs for the upcoming Pokémon game for use in Sm4sh and he was presented with a handful that Game Freak (or whoever) thought would work out well.
Well, my argument that he looked at that exact concept art - and was likely handed it directly to look at - is the fact that two of the poses appear in-game, with slight differences, that look directly ripped from the concept art there. Of course, that doesn't really mean a whole lot, but the point remains that it isn't a coincidence to me.

And, yeah, that's my guess, too. Sakurai probably said 'Hey, we're looking for a new Pokemon rep, whatcha got?' and Gamefreak responded 'Here's some concept art of who we think would be the best picks.'. We already know starters are some of the first Pokemon to be finished from start to finish conceptually, so it wouldn't surprise me if all three final evolutions landed on Sakurai's desk and he just kinda pointed at Greninja like 'That one. It's a ninja so both countries are gonna eat this **** up. I want this in Smash.' and then the concept art got shipped off to Bamco's art department.

Again, who really knows? Seems the logical course of events to me.

Khoru

Smash Champion
So, on this concept of enemies in Smash Run, anyone think we might get something like Fire Emblem enemies? Might be a bit hard since FE tends to have human enemies, but then again, it might actually be possible. Like different classes of FE characters, or Revenant enemies from Gaiden, Sacred Stones, and Awakening.
risen and such are definitely possible, and there were also a bunch of demonic enemies in FE8

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026

No, this leak does bring up Lucas or Ness getting cut (more likely Lucas), but I think we'll get more than 4 cuts at this point. Jiggly is incredibly possible to get cut, and even if she's not, she'll probably have lower priority than Mewtwo right now. Falco may also get cut because custom movesets make him irrelevant.
Probably Risen, specifically Revenants / Entombed and Risen Chiefs; I'm more curious what EarthBound / Mother enemies will be implemented though it'll probably be Pigmasks or Starmen...

Aside from Mewtwo's spike in popularity & relevancy, what would give it priority over Jigglypuff, a fighter from the original? I also don't see how Falco would get cut, he's a fan favorite and his movesets slowly differentiating itself from Fox's; I'm fairly certain custom movesets apply to specials or am I misinformed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom