• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Thread For the Sal Romano/Gematsu Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 245254

Yeah, but you didn't claim to know the entire periodic table, so the circumstances are different.
That's exactly my point, the leaker didn't claim to know every single dang detail about the roster, their order of reveal or even if it's subject to change. He had some info, and for all we know he could have guessed a few things around his information to fill in the gaps, who knows? The fact is he clearly knows something other people don't, and it's time to stop being jealous just because we wish we had his info.

The leaker said that the initial leak would all be shown at E3. Impressive accuracy or no, that's still strike one. The fact that they later said 'OH GOSH I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED IT COULD HAVE BEEN ANYTHING' was strike two. Strike three was not naming Greninja after an earlier impressive track record for accuracy. If you just don't know, don't add it to a leak, not especially something so obvious.
Your 2nd 'strike' doesn't really count as a strike because essentially he's right. He might have some inside info but that doesn't mean Sakurai can't counter leaks by withholding information or waiting on reveals, or that Nintendo switches up their plan for any old arbitrary reason.

You seem only to be slightly remiss to the fact that Sakurai probably has access to the internet, and probably knows about the leak. It's his game after all.

As a result this makes your first strike invalid as well.

Not naming Greninja is just a nitpick of yours. Just because it wasn't as specific as the other three totally awesome "guesses" I guess yeah, he must be making this up as he goes right?

Last edited by a moderator:

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
Well okay, I finally looked into this. Leaks are leaks and are almost never true (although that Palutena one is hard to shake)

It's very interesting. Like many have said, it's entirely on the Chorus Men. That is a BOLD prediction.

If this is the remainder of the newcomers, I'd say it's a very good roster (better than melee, not as good as brawl), but there are definitely a few gaping exceptions. But that's how these things go, I've been through this two times before.

D

Deleted member

Prepare to have a million people descend on you with Fire Emblem examples from Brawl with no source.
Instead, have Fire Emblem example with source:
Dinoman96 said:
About "Pokemon from X/Y", I did find something interesting about Ike's inclusion in Brawl.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.geocities.jp/bgrtype/gsl/words2/dairantosmabrax/smashbrothersx.html&edit-text=

New work of "Fire Emblem" is produced in the Wii at the stage of July 2005 announced the creation of "Smash Bros. X"
I've found that. There is no information about the character, because I did not know anything, is at the stage of making a proposal
where he was referred to as "someone in the Fire Emblem". "I feel the heavy contrary to appearance from the developer of the original Ike
if there is a demand to put out ", was aimed at rough character with a large sword. The attack for heavy movement
easily dodged, though that painful mess it hits. In the original, the enemies far away with something like shock wave
Is there also situations to attack, but do you accommodate phase and Ike image that should aim at "Smash Bros. X".
In addition, rather than in terms of character of, when you embody a quality of character on the game, will be accepted
out did you think that it is whether to become balance. After all, the character if Tsukkome remains of the original, such as the skill
but I was not the case in any way speaking likeness restrictor is, or get out.
Basically what Sakurai is saying here is that he actually didn't initially add Ike when he was planning Brawl's roster out. Instead, he put down "Someone from Fire Emblem" on his list, and he was eventually redirected to Ike by Intelligent Systems.

I'm wondering if a similar thing happened with Greninja. I'd reckon Sakurai and/or Gamefreak wanted a character from X/Y, and it was eventually narrowed down to Greninja, who was considered the best fit. Maybe whoever is leaking this is reading off of Sakurai's planning documents or something, which still reads to this day "Pokemon from X/Y".
I made a fake leak before E3 with Megaman, Villager, Little Mac, and Rosalina, along with Ridley, Palutena, Chrom, and Shulk. Where's my 31 page speculation thread, huh!?
And how does this discredit the Sal Romano leak?

Last edited by a moderator:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Instead, have Fire Emblem example with source:
Thank you! <3

The fact is he clearly knows something other people don't, and it's time to stop being jealous just because we wish we had his info.
Would certainly be neat, I'm not jealous that I didn't have the info. That's awfully presumptuous of you. I've argued for AND against the leak, I'm just not so jaded that I don't see that there's some validity to the leak, and that there's clearly red flags and missing puzzle pieces.

Your 2nd 'strike' doesn't really count as a strike because essentially he's right. He might have some inside info but that doesn't mean Sakurai can't counter leaks by withholding information or waiting on reveals, or that Nintendo switches up their plan for any old arbitrary reason.
I doubt he's rolling around the internet looking for leaks that appear literally HOURS before the E3 footage drops.That you assume that Sakurai, or anyone else for that matter, would legitimately even care enough about the leak to adjust footage they already had prepared weeks or months before E3 is perhaps the silliest statement I've heard regarding the justification of why all those characters didn't show up at E3, not especially since all he had to do to discredit the leak was insist they not show Wii Fit Trainer.

You seem only to be slightly remiss to the fact that Sakurai probably has access to the internet, and probably knows about the leak. It's his game after all.
Yeah, Sakurai has the internet, and I'd guarantee that he knows about the leak by this point, but what does that have to do with anything?

The X/Y Pokemon information isn't a nitpick, when that information dropped hours before the Smash Direct. That's a legitimate red flag to me, and it should be to you and anyone else, for that matter. If they have access to character information, enough to list ALL THE OTHER NAMES ACCURATELY, I find it hard to believe they'd not know who Greninja is. Everyone has access to Google, and Greninja comes up when you search 'Frog Pokemon' and 'Ninja Frog Pokemon' or any other number of relevant combinations. It's not a matter of 'Oh, I didn't know who the character was.' 'cause even if you DON'T know who the character is, you can look, but why would you need to when all the information would technically be there?

And I don't feel like the Fire Emblem thing from Brawl really does the leak any favors, either, 'cause I refuse to believe that Gamefreak and Sakurai are so Benny Hill with their correspondence that they'd not have a solid idea of who the X/Y rep was going to be weeks or months after their releases. Sorry, but considering how early Greninja was showcased, that insists that the character was worked on and completed not long after X/Y came out, so frankly, that's just no excuse in my opinion to not know who the character is or not having access to that one specific leak-defining character.

It's one thing to get a magic trick right once, but it's another to fail the second time.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sigh. I knew someone was going to say this. Should we consider that a red flag, as well? Another missing piece of the puzzle?
It's of course a red flag. Not a large one since while Villager got previously disconfirmed during Brawl's development from a different source(not to be confused with the source that told us Villager's fate, as it was released after 4's first set of trailers), so many thought Tom Nook instead of Villager. It was a safe bet at least with the name he gave alone.

That said, I think the X/Y leak is a lot less of a red flag since as noted before, it's very possible he got the information before they decided which X/Y Pokemon to have. Or Gamefreak was still looking at it.

CosmicKirby

Smash Apprentice
It's of course a red flag. Not a large one since while Villager got previously disconfirmed during Brawl's development from a different source(not to be confused with the source that told us Villager's fate, as it was released after 4's first set of trailers), so many thought Tom Nook instead of Villager. It was a safe bet at least with the name he gave alone.

That said, I think the X/Y leak is a lot less of a red flag since as noted before, it's very possible he got the information before they decided which X/Y Pokemon to have. Or Gamefreak was still looking at it.
Then I brought up the point that this doesn't hold water. The time gap here would beg the question why he didn't leak anything sooner. Much less why he would leak something the day of SmashDirect with one character being so vague.

Occam's razor here, he either didn't recognize Greninja, or he only saw something that alluded to an X/Y character, but not the character itself. A leaker withholding info for an extended period of time makes no sense.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Then I brought up the point that this doesn't hold water. The time gap here would beg the question why he didn't leak anything sooner. Much less why he would leak something the day of SmashDirect with one character being so vague.

Occam's razor here, he either didn't recognize Greninja, or he only saw something that alluded to an X/Y character, but not the character itself. A leaker withholding info for an extended period of time makes no sense.
No. It makes perfect sense. That was his last bit of information on it. He never got updated information. It's very possible he got fired before he could. He very possible has the original planned beta roster, which included weak or vague information as is.

We know for a fact Sakurai has done that before "Character from Fire Emblem". We know that Sakurai also can change his mind, considerations or otherwise. Brawl had some of the roster removed for Sonic as is. He did outright say it was finalized before Sonic, and having major character data for Mewtwo and Roy shows they were clearly intended to be playable. Dixie Kong is the only he probably didn't remove since Sakurai said "couldn't make her and Diddy work as a team". Paraphrased, anyway.

You see, while I don't necessarily believe the leak in itself, you're overlooking the simple fact that this is very easily possible due to past things that have happened. If he didn't know the literal Pokemon(and you know what, he probably didn't), then how can he "give it by name" without the information? I don't honestly know why it's hard to believe his information got outdated period. The leaker who gave Sal the information being fired is beyond possible, if not a very likely scenario, especially if the leak itself turns out to be completely correct(either because Sakurai talks about the considered characters who match it, they show up as playable, or we find them in game data, but were unfinished for whatever reason).

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
If the Salromano newcomers are all we have left, it certainly will be the most underwhelming batch of newcomers ever. Seven (over half) newcomers that no one really asked for/wanted. Not a single big/heavy character. Not a single villain. Almost entirely boring humans (and I say this as someone who wanted Villager and wants Shulk and Palutena). Only TWO very hype-inducing, legendary, widely requested newcomers (Megaman and Little Mac).

Excuse me. What WOULDN'T be disappointing and underwhelming about the roster if this leak is all we get? It would prove that Sakurai really doesn't give a flying **** about fan demand, that's for sure.
My big counter to that is I suppose it's all personal opinion. I think, even if this were it, I'd love almost every single newcomer on that list (well, maybe aside from Chrom, but that's mainly just visual, not play style). Rosalina may have been disappointing to some, but I was super excited when she got announced, and her play style looks amazing. Little Mac I'm eh on, but he does look like a beast. Villager looks entertaining, and Wii Fit Trainer looks surprisingly fun. Mega Man is definitely going to be my main if Pac-Man isn't in the game, and Greninja looks like an annoying fast character like Sheik, which isn't my style, but they can be fun.

And to be fair, everyone is clambering for Ridley and K. Rool, but Sakurai has never given any sort of indication that these are characters he thinks would work well. In fact, much as I hate to say it, all evidence from Sakurai seems to point in the opposite direction for Ridley. He's claimed that he thinks he'd be too big or too slow before, and in Brawl he was just a boss, and it's looking that way again for Smash 4. K. Rool I'll agree has a shot, and could be a fun character, but maybe Sakurai doesn't put great importance on villain characters simply because they're villains. I dunno.

I guess I can see your viewpoint. If you're expecting certain characters and those aren't on the roster, it's disappointing. However, other than Ganondorf, Ridley would be only the second character on the roster who had never been playable in any other game before that, and maybe that means something to Sakurai, given how Ganondorf was pretty much an afterthought in Melee.

Sorry, I'm rambling. :p I guess my main point is disappointment in the roster is going to happen regardless of what the roster is. Sakurai can't please everyone, and just because a character is demanded doesn't mean they'll be playable.

I have been wondering, how come Sal knows all of these characters, from Wii Fit Trainer to Chrom to Chrous Men, but doesn't know the name of Greninja?

I just can't believe that except of an pokemon from x and y, all other characters were set in stone. If, like some have said, he got his info when the rooster wasn't fully planned/finished, how can all of these characters have been confirmed already except from a pokemon?

This is just the reason why I have a problem with him mentioning pokemon from x and y.
As others have stated before, back in Brawl, before they decided on Ike, they apparently had him listed as "Fire Emblem newcomer." As @ ChunkyBeef ChunkyBeef stated though, I haven't seen a source for this. (EDIT: Nevermind, @鉄腕アトム provided a source) But it does make sense. Not everything is set in stone. They don't work on every character at the same time. They move from one to the next, I'm sure, tweaking and fine-tuning others as they go along. Some have a higher priority and others have a lower priority.

People ask all the time why he couldn't specify Greninja, and to me, it's because when the leaker got his information, Greninja hadn't been decided on yet. Yes, that means his info is out of date, but does that mean it's wrong? Not necessarily. Smash got announced at E3 in June of 2013. Pokemon X and Y got released in October 2013. Back when they were deciding the roster, I'm sure GameFreak wanted some sort of new gen Pokemon representation on the roster, but hadn't yet decided who a big name was going to be. It probably wasn't until December or January when they saw the popularity of Greninja rise and decided upon him. So the leaker having "Pokemon from X and Y" on his list could feasibly make sense if he didn't have access to newer information.

Also, to counter your other point, none of the other characters so far could be generically classified like that. "Capcom Robot character," "Boxing guy," "Wii Fit character." All those pretty much indicate exactly who they're going to be. I'm sure Rosalina could have been considered "Mario newcomer" at some point, and maybe that's why the leaker never mentioned her, but we don't know. Fact is, there are a LOT of Pokemon to choose from, so it's easy to have difficulty making a decision but knowing there's potential. Other groups of characters can't really be classified like that as easily. Sakurai's team probably had a good idea of who was going to be on the roster, but was still up in the air about the new Pokemon representative until a couple months ago.

Last edited:

CosmicKirby

Smash Apprentice
You see, while I don't necessarily believe the leak in itself, you're overlooking the simple fact that this is very easily possible due to past things that have happened. If he didn't know the literal Pokemon(and you know what, he probably didn't), then how can he "give it by name" without the information? I don't honestly know why it's hard to believe his information got outdated period. The leaker who gave Sal the information being fired is beyond possible, if not a very likely scenario, especially if the leak itself turns out to be completely correct(either because Sakurai talks about the considered characters who match it, they show up as playable, or we find them in game data, but were unfinished for whatever reason).
You're overlooking how long it takes to actually develop everything that it took to make the Greninja reveal.

Movesets, character model, sound effects, CG trailers, and everything else had to have been developed in the period between whenever he first got wind of this and the April Smash direct. That takes MONTHS to accomplish regardless of what size team you have developing the game. The only possible way the character wouldn't have been decided upon yet, would be if his info is incredibly outdated relative to when the Smash Direct came out. If he was still at the company since the time of "undecided X/Y" and stayed afterwords, he would actually know what the character was. If he got fired, somehow, after that undecided moment, then why did he not leak this information sooner? Having a buffer zone of delaying when your going to leak info is a great way to not get caught, but a buffer zone of multiple months is ridiculous, especially one as poorly timed as that.

The idea that the leaker has stable access to info as intricate as the pending ideas and goals of the project, doesn't hold water when the info comes out this far down the pipeline. The leaker either didn't recognize the character, didn't have the specific info for that character, or he is getting his information second-hand from someone else and is then giving it to Sal.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You're overlooking how long it takes to actually develop everything that it took to make the Greninja reveal.
Doesn't mean he knew it was Greninja period. He could've quite easily been worked on after he got the information. Honestly, it is not hard to swallow at all. We don't know when he first got the information. It's still too easy to believe.

Movesets, character model, sound effects, CG trailers, and everything else had to have been developed in the period between whenever he first got wind of this and the April Smash direct. That takes MONTHS to accomplish regardless of what size team you have developing the game. The only possible way the character wouldn't have been decided upon yet, would be if his info is incredibly outdated relative to when the Smash Direct came out. If he was still at the company since the time of "undecided X/Y" and stayed afterwords, he would actually know what the character was. If he got fired, somehow, after that undecided moment, then why did he not leak this information sooner? Having a buffer zone of delaying when your going to leak info is a great way to not get caught, but a buffer zone of multiple months is ridiculous, especially one as poorly timed as that.
Yeah, not buying he got bad information still. None of that changes the fact that Sakurai still puts in "ideal choices with no exact name". At this point, the only reason I find the X/Y part hard to believe is because it's a safe guess. The time part was not a problem.

The idea that the leaker has stable access to info as intricate as the pending ideas and goals of the project, doesn't hold water when the info comes out this far down the pipeline. The leaker either didn't recognize the character, didn't have the specific info for that character, or he is getting his information second-hand from someone else and is then giving it to Sal.
Nobody is saying his access is stable. Actually, it's quite obvious his information wasn't stable at all. His information was clearly outdated, that is, if the entire leak is real, or most of it.

I repeat; We may find out that considered characters are removed(for the fourth time in a row). And if Sakurai says who they are(let's say for instance Chorus Men didn't make it, but he considering them), that's more proof that was real.

@ Bauske Bauske : Sakurai never said Ridley was too big. Could somebody bother to site this thing? He said he'd possibly be too slow, but nothing more.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If the Salromano newcomers are all we have left, it certainly will be the most underwhelming batch of newcomers ever. Seven (over half) newcomers that no one really asked for/wanted. Not a single big/heavy character. Not a single villain. Almost entirely boring humans (and I say this as someone who wanted Villager and wants Shulk and Palutena). Only TWO very hype-inducing, legendary, widely requested newcomers (Megaman and Little Mac).

Excuse me. What WOULDN'T be disappointing and underwhelming about the roster if this leak is all we get? It would prove that Sakurai really doesn't give a flying **** about fan demand, that's for sure.
Excluding Mewtwo since he's a veteran and thus unaffected by the Sal leak being the only newcomers left, the only "heavily fan demanded" characters it is notably missing are Ridley and a DK newcomer (K. Rool/Dixie, with bigger push towards K. Rool).

Who else is there?

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
Excluding Mewtwo since he's a veteran and thus unaffected by the Sal leak being the only newcomers left, the only "heavily fan demanded" characters it is notably missing are Ridley and a DK newcomer (K. Rool/Dixie, with bigger push towards K. Rool).

Who else is there?
imo I'm completely fine if Sal's leak is the actual roster. I only care if my personal wants are in the game (Palutena and Pac-Man), and the roster should not be what drives people to buy the game. To be honest, people should care about gameplay more than Brawl. That's probably why people didn't like Brawl too much. Everyone focused on the characters, and the gameplay ended up slow and the graphics were kinda dull and not colorful. Hence why this one has a focus of gameplay.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
imo I'm completely fine if Sal's leak is the actual roster. I only care if my personal wants are in the game (Palutena and Pac-Man), and the roster should not be what drives people to buy the game. To be honest, people should care about gameplay more than Brawl. That's probably why people didn't like Brawl too much. Everyone focused on the characters, and the gameplay ended up slow and the graphics were kinda dull and not colorful. Hence why this one has a focus of gameplay.
People should care about what they want to care about.

They're the ones buying the game. All that matters is they're happy with what it has. SSB4 will still have massive sales if the roster isn't "great" anyway. Like the rest do.

However, the "quality" of the roster or why people should buy it has nothing to do with the leak. I'm asking again we stick to the topic a bit more.

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice

Who else is there?
While characters like Isaac, Starfy, Ray, Takamaru S&P characters, Wars characters, new F-Zero characters and others certainly aren't as demanded as Ridley and K. Rool, I think it's safe to say more people would enjoy and be hyped for them over many of the other newcomers revealed and in the leak.

D

Deleted member

While characters like Isaac, Starfy, Ray, Takamaru S&P characters, Wars characters, new F-Zero characters and others certainly aren't as demanded as Ridley and K. Rool, I think it's safe to say more people would enjoy and be hyped for them over many of the other newcomers revealed and in the leak.
Ah, you reminded me of Black Shadow. Yeah, I suppose I can consider him a borderline major request due to his popularity in Japan.
Isaac and Starfy, I can also consider borderline. Takamaru? Borderline to be in borderline (as in, he's debatable). Ray, S&P, and Wars? I'd put them on a lower end of the spectrum.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I guess I can see your viewpoint. If you're expecting certain characters and those aren't on the roster, it's disappointing. However, other than Ganondorf, Ridley would be only the second character on the roster who had never been playable in any other game before
that, and maybe that means something to Sakurai, given how Ganondorf was pretty much an afterthought in Melee.
Fifth, there's also Zelda, Sheik, and WFT. Also technically Roy as he wasn't in a game period before his debut. So I don't think a character not being playable in a previous game means much, it's just a matter of if Sakurai wants to make the character playable.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Fifth, there's also Zelda, Sheik, and WFT. Also technically Roy as he wasn't in a game period before his debut. So I don't think a character not being playable in a previous game means much, it's just a matter of if Sakurai wants to make the character playable.
Zelda was playable in a video game before Melee. Two in fact.(no, let's not derail into any of this ridiculous "true Zelda game" crap. That's two playable Zelda roles for the character the series was named after, and that's that) It's really fourth when it comes to official game releases.

Doesn't count. Sheik and Wii Fit Trainer do, however. You could never play as them at all. Sheik might've been via a Zelda hack at best, but that's about it.

That said, it shouldn't matter as long as the character is notable on their own or having more to it than "they exist, so they should be in".

Although I still ask why we're talking about whether we "like" the roster or not. I was just correcting a blatant error, that's all. Kind of hate hearing that type of thing when it's clearly not a fact, just some pointless belief.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Ahh! Good points. I didn't think of them. xD Props for the correction.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
As far as "Animal Crossing Boy" goes, if you want to go with the assumption that the person got their info from Sakurai's planning documents due to the whole "Pokemon from X/Y" stuff, then it actually makes perfect sense because prior to his inclusion in SM4SH, Villager had no real name except that which the player gave when they started. He/She was just the boy/girl you played in Animal Crossing - hence "Animal Crossing Boy", because they probably hadn't yet decided what they were gonna call him in SM4SH yet at that time since, y'know, he didn't have an official name.

I skimmed through the above posts, haha, so I didn't see if this was already said but felt it was worth mentioning since people were mentioning it as something against the leak while it appeared they were at the same time conceding to the "Pokemon from X/Y" issue.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As far as "Animal Crossing Boy" goes, if you want to go with the assumption that the person got their info from Sakurai's planning documents due to the whole "Pokemon from X/Y" stuff, then it actually makes perfect sense because prior to his inclusion in SM4SH, Villager had no real name except that which the player gave when they started. He/She was just the boy/girl you played in Animal Crossing - hence "Animal Crossing Boy", because they probably hadn't yet decided what they were gonna call him in SM4SH yet at that time since, y'know, he didn't have an official name.

I skimmed through the above posts, haha, so I didn't see if this was already said but felt it was worth mentioning since people were mentioning it as something against the leak while it appeared they were at the same time conceding to the "Pokemon from X/Y" issue.
Olded.

We covered that. But yeah, it's the same idea. Our term that was given was "Animal Crossing Guy", and although some like to think guy is a masculine term, it's not always. Also, if he did mean a male character in general, I doubt the leaker had any idea about the alternate gender costumes either. So either way, it makes sense.

Morbi

Scavenger
Since the RosalinaX leak is almost certainly a fake, I will no longer be allowing discussions on putting the RosalinaX leak and the Sal Romano leak together. Too much issues with the RosalinaX leak and it's time we put it behind us for good.
I read your entire analysis thoroughly; you didn't objectively prove anything in regards to the legitimacy of the leak. Your argument was riddled with assumptions and subjective notions. However, I do agree with the conclusion (the leak is far to ambiguous to be taken seriously). I just do not believe that you met any burden of proof. Your reasoning was very arbitrary.

As for the Sal Romano leak, I am going to go ahead and wait and see. I do not usually trust leaks initially, this one has intrigued me based solely on Wii Fit Trainer. I want to assert that it is enough to confirm the leak, but that would be utterly fallacious. I did believe the leak at first, when it was just the original six. After that, so many things could have been introduced to alter the validity of the leak. However, it seems reasonable, so I can certainly see why many trust it.

Morbi

Scavenger
Morbid, don't bother arguing for the sake of arguing if you agree with the reasoning.

Frankly, until RosalinaX properly responds, this can be deemed as "ignore it" - at least in this thread
I am not arguing for the sake of arguing; I am asserting that it is a baseless claim that proves nothing, thus it is immaterial. I don't mean to offend anyone, I saw that you also helped "investigate." I mean, I could just as easily do the exact same thing to this leak, call if fake for some arbitrary reason and state that it isn't to be discussed in relation to a "credible" leak. I don't agree with the reasoning at all, that is the inherent problem. I agree with the conclusion.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I am not arguing for the sake of arguing; I am asserting that it is a baseless claim that proves nothing, thus it is immaterial. I don't mean to offend anyone, I saw that you also helped "investigate." I mean, I could just as easily do the exact same thing to this leak, call if fake for some arbitrary reason and state that it isn't to be discussed in relation to a "credible" leak. I don't agree with the reasoning at all, that is the inherent problem. I agree with the conclusion.
I agree on the hands of "nothing is 100% certain until proven otherwise" especially on the account of this being real but RosalinaX's source is BS. But at the same timed this wasn't just me who contacted him; this was three people. When all the amount of contradictory points factor in, it's suspicious to say the least. Be minded at the wording SSBF used as well "Almost certainly a fake" not "Is fake" - we didn't use arbitrary reasons, we brushed up our homework on everything about RosalinaX (among other leaks and facts) - If you think the wording should be changed to "less likely" or "unchanged at all" even after everything learned, good for you.

Edit: also no, that isn't a baseless claim. It definitely has ground reasoning and is straight from the source. It has a base, it's just not the base you like.

Frankly if you want to keep discussing this, just shoot a PM to SSBF. Heck, include me there. This goes for anyone that wants to keep discussing this or has questions. As the thread creator has stated, this topic is now 100% Sal.

Last edited:

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
I think i'm going to stop posting in this thread until something new pops up, i'll still lurk though. But I think it's about time to kill the "It was a lucky guess" argument, because quite frankly, not only is it getting old, it's also rotting and becoming unusable.

Let's start with some of the basics

-Sal as a credible person, leaks 6 characters for E3. At this point any detractor, will complain that this kills the leak because all 6 characters weren't shown. Let's just remember that Sal was sitting on this information for a while(presumably a couple of months) A LOT can change in the span of a week or a month, Sal's leaker most likely gave him a list of characters that were considered for E3. This is the part where you come in and tell me if that was the case he would have came back and gave him a list of characters actually going to be shown. Into which I respond, that the leaker had outdated information(i'll come back to this later)

-E3 comes around and nails 3 characters in a row. You have Megaman, which seems obvious but actually isn't. Why? It's simple, BanNam is working on the game, if you had this information, i'm willing to bet 9/10 people would give me a BanNam character. Capcom just came out of the blue with Mega Man, which had been having problems at this point. Then we have Villager, which Sakurai has stated "wasn't suited for battle". This already rules out the "He did his home work and studies" argument, because if Sal had done this, he wouldn't have put Villager in your so called "fake leak" because of Sakurai's prior statement. And now we have Wii Fit Trainer. This is the character everyone tries to say wasn't that hard to guess because it was the 4th best selling game on the wii. While yes it was a very well selling game, sells have almost 0 involvement on a characters inclusion. Almost no one has guessed this other than a couple of jokes and an "I think this character should be included" which isn't really a guess. But you know what? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and say "Sal got lucky" So you're going to tell me still, that Sal predicted a character Sakurai didn't want in the game, a character almost no one has guessed, and a 3rd party character that came out of no where?

-Now we have Rosalina, i'm just gonna tell you what I said again
Sal's leaker leaked for E3 and not that direct.

-Here we have Little Mac. See outdated information

-Smash Direct is now we get a new leak. it's a vague "Pokemon from X/Y"
again, see outdated information and characters considered for the direct. I'm willing to bet that the direct was planned in advance.

- More remarkably, not ONE character he predicted has been disconfirmed as an assist or anything else, and he made eleven predictions, some of which have been of extremely obvious characters to make into assists and show, like Pac-Man. The odds of that are even more incredible.

Just when you add it all up, the only reason to deny that track record is that the characters it confirms are not the ones you wanted, and is that really a reason at all?

And if you'd like, i'm still taking replies on how it was all a lucky guess and Sal did his homework.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Just when you add it all up, the only reason to deny that track record is that the characters it confirms are not the ones you wanted, and is that really a reason at all?
Reason enough for me. :kirby2:

And if you'd like, i'm still taking replies on how it was all a lucky guess and Sal did his homework.
I don't think it was necessarily Sal who did his homework, or got lucky, if this is the case. How hilarious would it be if someone was originally out to legitimately discredit Sal and threw in the most off-the-wall pick they could think of (Wii Fit Trainer) on the assumption he'd get excited and immediately post the leak?

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Since the RosalinaX leak is almost certainly a fake, I will no longer be allowing discussions on putting the RosalinaX leak and the Sal Romano leak together. Too much issues with the RosalinaX leak and it's time we put it behind us for good.
Great read on RosalinaX leak. I agree- it's a stupid leak. I've been saying that too. The whole "48 characters but it could be changed" thing always bothered me. I understand stuff gets planned and not finished (read: Mewtwo in Brawl) but why mention a number at all? It's the same as saying "this game will have X number of characters but it could be changed." The number never mattered- it could be replaced because the number could be changed. I also didn't know CAW tried to contact but couldn't. I'd vote to toss this one for now and come back to it if we need to.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I just hope that if these newcomers are legit that he didn't reveal all the newcomers and we have some more unknowns left. Like Dixie, K. Rool, Ridley, and Isaac.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I think i'm going to stop posting in this thread until something new pops up, i'll still lurk though. But I think it's about time to kill the "It was a lucky guess" argument, because quite frankly, not only is it getting old, it's also rotting and becoming unusable.

Let's start with some of the basics

-Sal as a credible person, leaks 6 characters for E3. At this point any detractor, will complain that this kills the leak because all 6 characters weren't shown. Let's just remember that Sal was sitting on this information for a while(presumably a couple of months) A LOT can change in the span of a week or a month, Sal's leaker most likely gave him a list of characters that were considered for E3. This is the part where you come in and tell me if that was the case he would have came back and gave him a list of characters actually going to be shown. Into which I respond, that the leaker had outdated information(i'll come back to this later)

-E3 comes around and nails 3 characters in a row. You have Megaman, which seems obvious but actually isn't. Why? It's simple, BanNam is working on the game, if you had this information, i'm willing to bet 9/10 people would give me a BanNam character. Capcom just came out of the blue with Mega Man, which had been having problems at this point. Then we have Villager, which Sakurai has stated "wasn't suited for battle". This already rules out the "He did his home work and studies" argument, because if Sal had done this, he wouldn't have put Villager in your so called "fake leak" because of Sakurai's prior statement. And now we have Wii Fit Trainer. This is the character everyone tries to say wasn't that hard to guess because it was the 4th best selling game on the wii. While yes it was a very well selling game, sells have almost 0 involvement on a characters inclusion. Almost no one has guessed this other than a couple of jokes and an "I think this character should be included" which isn't really a guess. But you know what? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and say "Sal got lucky" So you're going to tell me still, that Sal predicted a character Sakurai didn't want in the game, a character almost no one has guessed, and a 3rd party character that came out of no where?

-Now we have Rosalina, i'm just gonna tell you what I said again
Sal's leaker leaked for E3 and not that direct.

-Here we have Little Mac. See outdated information

-Smash Direct is now we get a new leak. it's a vague "Pokemon from X/Y"
again, see outdated information and characters considered for the direct. I'm willing to bet that the direct was planned in advance.

- More remarkably, not ONE character he predicted has been disconfirmed as an assist or anything else, and he made eleven predictions, some of which have been of extremely obvious characters to make into assists and show, like Pac-Man. The odds of that are even more incredible.

"Third Party character that came out of no where."
Do you have any idea how much he was wanted? Also who the hell was the 6th person he guessed correctly.And Pac Man was never an obvious assist. Like, what?
If you go by the outdated information that much you can say not all of those characters will make it, therefore you wouldn't be able to listen to the leak even if it is true.
"A character that almost no one guessed."
Almost is the key word here.
So she still could be guessed. Anybody who thinks this leak is wrong no doubt need to go, I'll admit that. But there still isn't enough evidence. Little Mac and Mega Man were widely guessed, Pokemon from X/Y was widely guessed. And even if he got the info on Pokemon from X/Y late, the fact remains he sad Pokemon from X/Y. Villager and Wii Fit Trainer I can give him, that's it.
Sal could think his source was accurate, and it could be a different source.

So yeah, it could be fake.
But I'm still 50/50. You see me argue against the leak more because it seems more people go for it.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Blows my mind when people act like anyone other than Wii Fit Trainer came out of nowhere. I wish I still had everyone's rosters from that group we had a while back.

Let's just remember that Sal was sitting on this information for a while(presumably a couple of months)
Sal said he got the tip the week before E3. The second tip came the same day as the April Direct.

My Toise Dollars and subsequently my America Fun Bucks are on the following scenario:
- The leaker is specifically involved with producing Nintendo Direct pieces and not directly involved with Smash (both leaks directly before big Smash directs, and the leaked info is specifically restricted to characters that would have debut trailers, ie: newcomers)
- The leaker knew about the first three from E3 and Greninja as a result, but not the other characters
- Greninja is kept vague and a number of extra guesses are added in each leak: they're trying not to draw attention from their employers for breaching NDA
- Rangers win the Stanley Cup and Oberyn Martell beats the Mountain

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Remember when he was wrong about the characters that'd be shown last e3?

Remember how you guys waste time still arguing this?

So many excuses made in this thread its gross

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
I'd just like to point out that "Animal Crossing Guy", while we all see that as Villager, what if that's similar to Pokemon from X and Y? By a guy from Animal Crossing, they meant a character from Animal Crossing.
Just putting that out there.

D

Deleted member

I just hope that if these newcomers are legit that he didn't reveal all the newcomers and we have some more unknowns left. Like Dixie, K. Rool, Ridley, and Isaac.
On the one hand, twelve is plenty of newcomers (even if I don't agree with excluding Ridley or a DK newcomer at all, we could have seen less) and there is the fact that Sakurai is emphasizing more on veterans this time around. At the very least, we're not going to see as many newcomers as we did with Brawl.

There is some hope, though.
1. Rosalina was not leaked by Sal, bringing up the possibility there may be more that Sal's tipper may not know.
2. We've yet to see anyone that would fall under low priority newcomers/planned newcomers that may not make it (barring maybe Chorus Men). If the past Smash games are any indication, they are not an anomalous occurrence.
3. Brawl's roster was able to be put together thanks to leaks from PortraitofRuins (I think), NyaseNye, and ChaosZero. Right now, however, we only have Sal Romano that is leaking anything in regards to characters. Since he's only able to leak newcomers and didn't even leak all of them (as Rosalina indicated), it may be there are additional newcomers who Sal's tipper isn't able to leak.

At this point, I'm 50/50 on the second list of newcomers being it. I'm hoping we get more, but I'm not really expecting it. But we'll see.
I'd just like to point out that "Animal Crossing Guy", while we all see that as Villager, what if that's similar to Pokemon from X and Y? By a guy from Animal Crossing, they meant a character from Animal Crossing.
I think it's pretty obvious Animal Crossing Guy refers to Villager. We're almost certainly looked at planned characters here; which explains why we see Pokemon from X & Y instead of Greninja.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I don't know, Tom Nook and K. K. Slider are both guys too. It sounds like Sal might have been trying to dodge the disconfirmation of Villager from Pre-Brawl.

KingKRool

Smash Cadet
To me, this leak seems likely to be true at this point. The fact that the person has predicted obscure characters like WFT and Chorus Men is what makes me believe it. Who would predict those? And, so far, he is half-correct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom