• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Thread For the Sal Romano/Gematsu Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You really thing it's possible to nail 5 characters in a row, and nothing conflict?
Of course it's possible. Also, let's remember it took a while for them to show up, it wasn't as they were directly given. According to the leak, Little Mac was supposed to be at an e3. The details being wrong is something suspect in the first place.

At that point, it's all but confirmed that this leak is legit. Is it still possible he got lucky? Yeah, but really 6 out of 11 characters? and it was all just "luck", I seriously doubt that.
Nothing is even closing to "all but confirmed" in any way. Damn straight it could just be that lucky. Especially when at least 4 of those were very easy to guess period. An X/Y Pokemon(whether or not Greninja was chosen at the time he got his information is irrelevant. That's not hard to guess at all. Even I figured that was going to happen. If it wasn't that, it'd be a B/W one). Little Mac and MegaMan aren't hard to get either. And he never "guessed" Rosalina. It's 5/11. Who is this "sixth" people are talking about? We have 5 guessed newcomers. Little Mac, MegaMan, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and X/Y Pokemon(Greninja). Unless I missed something. I can't remember all of the leak, mind you. It's been a while since I read it.

Good points, but I should point out that the PokéBeach leak didn't leak Mega Evos. The only thing in regards to it was that Mewtwo had two forms instead of just one, and that they were version exclusive activated by an item.
Same difference overall. Mega Evolutions had very little known period. In fact, many assumed Mewtwo's transformation in the Movie was a Forme change. Other than the name of the transformation, there was little to no difference. Some modes, even Zen Mode, is very similar to a Mega Evolution(other than Darmanitan not using an Item, it's still an in-game and temporary transformation. The details are different, but it wasn't hard to believe they were Formes as is). We didn't really find out till later that it was only different by the name used. Change "Formes" with "Mega Evolutions" and quite literally the leak holds true. Albeit, I think the leak itself could've been fake due to not knowing about Mega Evolutions, but the overall leak's overall idea "Mewtwo gets two transformations with two special items" is identical to what overall happened. It's also possible, as noted by the X/Y Pokemon scenario, as that was the first plan too. Maybe he was going to get two Forme changes(and other than the names of the transformations and names of the items, it would literally be no different from what the leaker said if that was the case).

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
The thing about Sal Leak nay sayers is that they will NEVER accept this leak to be true. These people are just wired differently and even if everything in the Sal Leak turns out to be real they will simply dismiss it as "luck" or "easy guesses" --- Sakurai's thought process has always been predictable and Sal was simply following "trends" ...
They devalue the significance of each correct prediction in hindsight, spewing their retrospective analyses as if they could have easily made the same predictions.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
The thing about Sal Leak nay sayers is that they will NEVER accept this leak to be true. These peopPokemon so don't even try to tell me that was hard.e just wired differently and even if everything in the Sal Leak turns out to be real they will simply dismiss it as "luck" or "easy guesses" --- Sakurai's thought process has always been predictable and Sal was simply following "trends" ...
They devalue the significance of each correct prediction in hindsight, spewing their retrospective analyses as if they could have easily made the same predictions.
I don't get how people think Little ! Mac Mega Man and Pokemon from XY are hard as the other 2. They were commonly guessed. Few of my freinds guessed xy pokemon so it's that hard. Villager was kinda hard, bit I'd need more to even think of the leak. WFT came and there you ho, I'm on the fence. This entire leak depends on Chorus Men. If Shulk get's in, I'll believe it more, but not to much. Palutena, well, everyone is falling for believing that leak, so from their perspective that's a safe guess.
Little Mac= highly requested.
Mega Man =highly requested.
Pokemon for X/Y= Predicted.

RODO

Smash Ace
The thing about Sal Leak nay sayers is that they will NEVER accept this leak to be true. These people are just wired differently and even if everything in the Sal Leak turns out to be real they will simply dismiss it as "luck" or "easy guesses" --- Sakurai's thought process has always been predictable and Sal was simply following "trends" ...
This adds nothing to the conversation other than being condescending towards people who have an opinion.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
I don't get how people think Little ! Mac Mega Man and Pokemon from XY are hard as the other 2. They were commonly guessed. Few of my freinds guessed xy pokemon so it's that hard. Villager was kinda hard, bit I'd need more to even think of the leak. WFT came and there you ho, I'm on the fence. This entire leak depends on Chorus Men. If Shulk get's in, I'll believe it more, but not to much. Palutena, well, everyone is falling for believing that leak, so from their perspective that's a safe guess.
Little Mac= highly requested.
Mega Man =highly requested.
Pokemon for X/Y= Predicted.
ya little mac was so obvious the japanese were confused as to who he was and some were outraged.....

D

Deleted member

ya little mac was so obvious the japanese were confused as to who he was and some were outraged.....
Punch-Out!!! was recently rebooted, rather successfully I may add, Mac was one of the most requested characters here in the west, he appeared in Brawl, and the Punch-Out!!! series as a whole has large significance in Nintendo's history. He might not have been obvious overseas, but he certainly was an obvious pick to all of us. I don't give a damn whether the leak is real or not, but your argument is pretty bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Warning Received
Punch-Out!!! was recently rebooted, rather successfully I may add, Mac was one of the most requested characters here in the west, he appeared in Brawl, and the Punch-Out!!! series as a whole has large significance in Nintendo's history. He might not have been obvious overseas, but he certainly was an obvious pick to all of us. I don't give a damn whether the leak is real or not, but your argument is pretty bad.
yes to us the west not japan....where nintendo usualy listens to. The reason paper mario sticker star didnt have a story was because of a poll on club nintendo that only japanese members got to do. now tell me if you knew that would you have been more suprised by the fact they actualy listened

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
This really has nothing to do with the leak itself. You're basically discrediting the opposite viewpoint by discrediting its supporters.

Dairz

Smash Ace
Okay I want you to open a new tab, and I want you to find someone who guessed Wii Fit Trainer, you're saying that out of hundreds of people guessing, someone should have guessed her right? So can you find me someone who isn't Sal?
Someone actually did predict "Female Wii Fit Trainer" for the next smash a few months after Brawl released.

wft.PNG

D

Deleted member

Someone actually did predict "Female Wii Fit Trainer" for the next smash a few months after Brawl released.

View attachment 14277
Read it again. That was not a prediction, that was someone saying Wii Fit Trainer should be a character. Should doesn't mean the person though it would happen.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Here's how I see E3's Smash reveal going:

1.) Everyone gets hype; anticipation rises to unheard of levels.
2.) E3 Smash Direct starts. Information is given; only GameXplain cares.
3.) Smash 3DS in September; Smash Wii U pushed back to 2015.
4.) "Please understand."
5.) "Please watch this video."
6.) Palutena joins the battle.
7.) Shulk joins the battle.
8.) Chorus Men join the battle.
9.) Major disappointment. Stream numbers drop immensely.
10.) People rush to their respective message boards; ****-talk from Gematsu Leak supporters.
11.) Realization that the Gematsu Leak is right sinks in.
12.) Further realization that this newcomer roster the weakest in Smash history.
13.) Denial and isolation. "I'm never buying the game, and I'll never come back to this forum!"
14.) Anger. "How could Sakurai do this to us?!"
15.) Bargaining. "Well, on the other hand, maybe there will be DLC.."
16.) Depression. "Nothing in the E3 suggested we'll see DLC.."
17.) Acceptance. "Guess I'll just buy it since my friends are going to anyway."
18.) "Maybe the next game will be better."

C'mon back after E3 and we'll see if I'm right. :ness:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

4.) "Please understand."
10.) People rush to their respective message boards; ****-talk from Gematsu Leak supporters.
12.) Further realization that this newcomer roster the weakest in Smash history.
13.) Denial and isolation. "I'm never buying the game, and I'll never come back to this forum!"

I'd be surprised if Mewtwo at least didn't get shown. If Mega Man can get in based off popularity, then Mewtwo, being more requested than Mega Man and the most requested character world-wide would probably be revealed at E3 especially considering how recently prominent he has become in X and Y, being the "hot" Pokemon.

Regardless of what happens, no. 13 to 18 is still almost certainly going to be correct.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314

4.) "Please understand."

Honestly, what is so absolutely terrible about the Gematsu leak that has everyone so upset? I'd like to know. Other than the obvious exclusion of Ridley and K. Rool, what other characters are people so desperate to see that they don't want the Gematsu leak to be true?

Far as I see it (and not just because Pac-Man's on there, though I do like it for that reason too), it's got a great roster. We get Palutena, Shulk, Little Mac, Rosalina, Mega Man, Villager, and several others, all who seem fairly unique and different from what we're used to. I can understand skepticism in believing the leak, but I guess I don't understand the hate for the roster the leak provides.

Besides that, not including Toon Link (as I see him as more of a remodel of Young Link), we had 17 newcomers in Smash Bros. Brawl. With Rosalina and the Gematsu leak together, that's only 12 newcomers. People really think we're going to get less than Brawl?

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Honestly, what is so absolutely terrible about the Gematsu leak that has everyone so upset? I'd like to know. Other than the obvious exclusion of Ridley and K. Rool, what other characters are people so desperate to see that they don't want the Gematsu leak to be true?
I was only being facetious with that post there. Not to be taken seriously. <3

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I was only being facetious with that post there. Not to be taken seriously. <3
Haha, well thanks for that. It did make me laugh at first. :D But the sad part is I know there are some people out there who will legitimately act that way if said events come to pass. I've seen your posts, and you've said it yourself. This stuff has happened before and there's a good chance it'll happen again. To those people, my questions still stand.

Last edited:

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
We are going to have less newcomers than Brawl. Sakurai said he was focusing on balance rather than expanding the roster.

Honestly, if we got 12 newcomers that'd be more than I expected. I'd be happy.

People are acting like 48ish characters isn't that many. :/

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
We are going to have less newcomers than Brawl. Sakurai said he was focusing on balance rather than expanding the roster.
And then turned right back around and said:

“The reality of the situation unfortunately is that there are certain limitations on the 3DS, so we’re forced into a situation where we may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree, but we’re really working hard to include as many characters as possible.”
There's a reason why I don't take what Sakurai says at face value anymore.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

2.) E3 Smash Direct starts. Information is given; only GameXplain cares.*
4.) "Please understand."
9.) Major disappointment. Stream numbers drop immensely.**
12.) Further realization that this newcomer roster the weakest in Smash history.***
18.) "Maybe the next game will be better."****

* I care. :(

**Disappointment to Shulk??

***That's what they said about Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B.

**** The next game is ALWAYS better. :p

Overall, I don't know about the whole leak. It could be true... and it could be fake. And, would Palutena and Shulk be so bad? I mean, even if everyone hates the Chorus Men, they'll find their fans.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
There's a reason why I don't take what Sakurai says at face value anymore.
Agreed. I don't either. However, he's given us no reason to expect 20+ new characters.

People are expecting too much. If you keep your expectations low/realistic, you won't be disappointed no matter what happens. A roster of 48 characters in any fighting game, is enormous. People are acting like if we don't hit at least 50 characters minimum the game is going to suck.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Agreed. I don't either. However, he's given us no reason to expect 20+ new characters.

People are expecting too much. If you keep your expectations low/realistic, you won't be disappointed no matter what happens. A roster of 48 characters in any fighting game, is enormous. People are acting like if we don't hit at least 50 characters minimum the game is going to suck.
Just to note, this kind of has nothing to do with the leak in itself. If somebody thinks it's fake due to "not big enough", it's not a really good point and can be safely ignored.

Sakurai never gave us a roster number. 48-50 is a realistic expectation. The game'll be more than balanced enough with 50. They're really doing well from what we can tell, and he made everybody look pretty strong overall as is.

That said, could we try and steer more towards the literal leak itself? This leak never mentioned the roster number, so it's pretty obviously irrelevant.

D

Deleted member 245254

Let me address a flaw in some folks' approach to the argument.

Obviously, it's quite possible that many folks would have individually guessed a few of the now confirmed newcomers. The insight and trust in the Gematsu leaks is in that of the consistency of his proven & confirmed information.

Yes, your random friend might have (obviously and easily) guessed that a Pokemon from X/Y would be in a Smash 4, but that's utterly irrelevant. The thing is Gematsu guessed that, and several others, all correct.

From here on out, any mentions of random friends or random people on the internet who guessed current newcomers in the new SSB4 need to have guessed at least 4 characters correctly in one swoop in order to be compared to the Gematsu leak in order to discredit it. K?

D

Deleted member

Doesn't change the fact that it means at least SOME people CONSIDERED it =P
Not in the sense that people expected it. I believe that Sukapon should be a playable character, doesn't mean I expect him to get in at all.

Far as I see it (and not just because Pac-Man's on there, though I do like it for that reason too), it's got a great roster. We get Palutena, Shulk, Little Mac, Rosalina, Mega Man, Villager, and several others, all who seem fairly unique and different from what we're used to. I can understand skepticism in believing the leak, but I guess I don't understand the hate for the roster the leak provides.

Besides that, not including Toon Link (as I see him as more of a remodel of Young Link), we had 17 newcomers in Smash Bros. Brawl. With Rosalina and the Gematsu leak together, that's only 12 newcomers. People really think we're going to get less than Brawl?
I'm going to wait and see if we get more newcomers before I give my final thoughts on the leak but I will say that I don't care for the leak. Not a single Nintendo newcomer I currently support has shown up on the leak and considering that I've supported various characters like King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Mach Rider, Ridley, Isaac, Samurai Goroh, Saki, and more (only the first three I feel have a plausible shot now), it definitely surprises me one hasn't been leaked and not in a good way. Plus I am concerned about Chrom's inclusion; there's a plausible chance he ends up as a semi-clone (if not worse due to his striking similarities to Marth and Ike) and if he were to somehow replace Ike (which I really doubt considering that Sakurai has a different attitude towards cuts this time around and he hates cuts as much, if not more than us), it would show that Sakurai has lied about his emphasis on uniqueness and I will be very pissed off.

Having said that, Mega Man, my most wanted character, did get in, which is enough for to tolerate the roster. I'll probably be okay the newcomers as long as Sakurai cuts no one but Snake, Squirtle, and Ivysaur (or at least restore any further cuts as DLC), although it is below my expectations. The only reason why I defend the Gematsu leak is because I find the argument against its validity to be garbage and because I respect Sal Romano for leaking these characters to us; personal disappointment with exclusions have nothing to do with it. Also, I do think that more newcomers is plausible. We won't see as many as Brawl, but 13-15 newcomers isn't impossible to see (not counting Mewtwo).

Two thing with the last paragraph. One, the way you wrote your last paragraph is confusing. I know what you probably mean, but you might want to edit to where it doesn't throw people off. Two, the RosalinaX leak is probably a fake. As someone that has done investigation into this (so this isn't just because I hate the leak), I have an essay I'm currently writing up that will explain my whole thoughts on the leak, but I have a very hard time believing it. That's not to say we will get more newcomers for sure, but if we don't get anymore, it won't be because RosalinaX leaked it. I'll take this to the social thread if you want to discuss this.

Hoots

Can Be Combative

If the Salromano newcomers are all we have left, it certainly will be the most underwhelming batch of newcomers ever. Seven (over half) newcomers that no one really asked for/wanted. Not a single big/heavy character. Not a single villain. Almost entirely boring humans (and I say this as someone who wanted Villager and wants Shulk and Palutena). Only TWO very hype-inducing, legendary, widely requested newcomers (Megaman and Little Mac).

Excuse me. What WOULDN'T be disappointing and underwhelming about the roster if this leak is all we get? It would prove that Sakurai really doesn't give a flying **** about fan demand, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
If the Salromano newcomers are all we have left, it certainly will be the most underwhelming batch of newcomers ever. Seven (over half) newcomers that no one really asked for/wanted. Not a single big/heavy character. Not a single villain. Almost entirely boring humans (and I say this as someone who wanted Villager and wants Shulk and Palutena). Only TWO very hype-inducing, legendary, widely requested newcomers (Megaman and Little Mac).

Excuse me. What WOULDN'T be disappointing and underwhelming about the roster if this leak is all we get? It would prove that Sakurai really doesn't give a flying **** about fan demand, that's for sure.
On that note, I actually love all of these characters, I'd love to play as all of these. It's pretty overwhelming to me.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion

He seems to care because of FD stages, and making game faster. I'm sure he cares, and I'm sure we'll have atleast 2 more than the leak says.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Yes, your random friend might have (obviously and easily) guessed that a Pokemon from X/Y would be in a Smash 4, but that's utterly irrelevant. The thing is Gematsu guessed that, and several others, all correct.
There's a natural skepticism surrounding this one because it's like taking your friend out to the swamp who claims he knows everything about amphibians, and his accuracy is certainly impressive at first, 'til you suddenly get to the end of the trip and you spot the last frog of the trip.

"Hey, what kind of frog is that?"

"Oh, that's a frog."

That kind of impressive accuracy fizzles into nothing right there with that one vague statement. Yeah, of course it's a frog, that's obvious, but what frog is it? You got the other ones right, why're you struggling with this one? It's not the same, you know?

As I've said before, if the leaker had just called out Greninja instead of stating the obvious, we wouldn't be here debating the leak.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I'm pretty sure we'd still be debating the leak.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. Wii Fit Trainer and Greninja nailed 100% on both leaks would've certainly satisfied me. Anyone else debating at that point would've been the twenty or thirty people left that refused to believe it. For now, I find there's a lot of things to be skeptical about.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. Wii Fit Trainer and Greninja nailed 100% on both leaks would've certainly satisfied me.
Why is it difficult to consider that although he knows things, that he doesn't know everything.

I know what Iron and Mercury is, doesn't mean I've got the whole dang periodic table on tap for you. It's totally different in your example, your friend lied and claimed he was a frog expert. This leak has not claimed to know everything, they're just telling us what they do know...and so far it's been quite an impressive amount of accurate, specific things.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Why is it difficult to consider that although he knows things, that he doesn't know everything.

I know what Iron and Mercury is, doesn't mean I've got the whole dang periodic table on tap for you. It's totally different in your example, your friend lied and claimed he was a frog expert. This leak has not claimed to know everything, they're just telling us what they do know...and so far it's been quite an impressive amount of accurate, specific things.
Yeah, but you didn't claim to know the entire periodic table, so the circumstances are different. The leaker said that the initial leak would all be shown at E3. Impressive accuracy or no, that's still strike one. The fact that they later said 'OH GOSH I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED IT COULD HAVE BEEN ANYTHING' was strike two. Strike three was not naming Greninja after an earlier impressive track record for accuracy. If you just don't know, don't add it to a leak, not especially something so obvious.

Anyway, I feel like I'm just kinda spinning my wheels here, so..

Last edited:

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade
I have been wondering, how come Sal knows all of these characters, from Wii Fit Trainer to Chrom to Chrous Men, but doesn't know the name of Greninja?

I just can't believe that except of an pokemon from x and y, all other characters were set in stone. If, like some have said, he got his info when the rooster wasn't fully planned/finished, how can all of these characters have been confirmed already except from a pokemon?

This is just the reason why I have a problem with him mentioning pokemon from x and y.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I have been wondering, how come Sal knows all of these characters, from Wii Fit Trainer to Chrom to Chrous Men, but doesn't know the name of Greninja?

I just can't believe that except of an pokemon from x and y, all other characters were set in stone. If, like some have said, he got his info when the rooster wasn't fully planned/finished, how can all of these characters have been confirmed already except from a pokemon?

This is just the reason why I have a problem with him mentioning pokemon from x and y.
Prepare to have a million people descend on you with Fire Emblem examples from Brawl with no source.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
I'm still 50:50 about the whole thing.

It's like, if Mii and Pac Man get revealed at E3, which I'm hoping they're not...*hides from angry mob*, I'll believe it 100%, and will be expecting Chorus Men, which just like with the other two, I hope they're not.

I'm sorry, I just don't like Mii, Pac Man and Chorus Men, but hey, it's not a deal breaker.

As for Chrom, I'm just concerned about the whole "Oh, Fire Emblem is only going to get two reps per instalment" thing that's going around. I want Ike, and Roy, though he is unlikely, back. But hey, as a huge Fire Emblem fan, I won't be complaining about Chrom. I'm just worried about having two Falchion users.

...Please don't hurt me...

Ravio_Yo

Smash Apprentice
I made a fake leak before E3 with Megaman, Villager, Little Mac, and Rosalina, along with Ridley, Palutena, Chrom, and Shulk. Where's my 31 page speculation thread, huh!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom