• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Solid Snake Discussion Thread

Snack

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrSnackMan
I just realized this, that if Snake gets near someone with their back turned, it replaces the standard "1P/2P/3P/4P/CPU" marker above their heads with their damage percentage. Is Snake the only one this happens to?

Also, it's kinda neat that sometimes the C4 Snake places is butterfly shaped, like in MGS3.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I just realized this, that if Snake gets near someone with their back turned, it replaces the standard "1P/2P/3P/4P/CPU" marker above their heads with their damage percentage. Is Snake the only one this happens to?

Also, it's kinda neat that sometimes the C4 Snake places is butterfly shaped, like in MGS3.
Oooh wait a tick...this happend in training mode to me a few hours ago (as Snake vs cpu Ike)...I thought it was just a coincedence. And dang it I can't see if this is Snake exclusive or not right now. Someone check?

Squall_Leonhart

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm new here, and I main Snake too :)

Well, I dunno if anyone realized it, but I found a very nice comeback from when you're grabbing the edge and your opponent is waiting near you with a smash attack/other attack.

From my experience (and from watching alot youtube videos) I've seen that alot of people tend to miss the hanging player when he jumps over them, well.. why not jump and blow them up at the same time?

When you're grabbing the edge, just wait for the enemy to come close and then - jump -> use C4 in mid-air and immediately detonate it, you will jump away enough from the explosion and the other player would still stay in his attack animation and go BOOM, it worked like a charm for me, and it feels good using it ;)

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
What do you all think of Snake in teams?

I was doing a doubles spree with some friends and I found that Snake does fairly well as long as you work on not blowing your opponent up. (Can be tough, I know, lol). Due to his amazing recovery and heavy weight, he's very much like the peach, jigglypuff, or samus in melee, able to last a long time and hold stock for your team mate to borrow. Of course, he's a powerhouse too and that nets him a good deal of kills.

However, his overall slow attacks can put him at a disadvantage if the two players on the other team gang up on you, which is why (in my opinion) you need a quick offensive teammate to balance it out. I had the most success with G&W as my team mate...weird huh....Oil Panic was too good lol. His Fsmash/Dtilt was good for crowd control. G&W's jab also set up for some easy fsmashes by Snake, or c4 sticks. Also they made G&W WAY HEAVIER. o.O. Not like a super heavy weight but geez no where near his featherweight from melee. So he didn't die too fast :p

Also mortar slide in teams is just plain awesome.

Thoughts/experiences on Snake in doubles? Useful? Risky because of friendly fire? discuss maybe.

Squall_Leonhart

Smash Rookie

I was doing a doubles spree with some friends and I found that Snake does fairly well as long as you work on not blowing your opponent up. (Can be tough, I know, lol). Due to his amazing recovery and heavy weight, he's very much like the peach, jigglypuff, or samus in melee, able to last a long time and hold stock for your team mate to borrow. Of course, he's a powerhouse too and that nets him a good deal of kills.

However, his overall slow attacks can put him at a disadvantage if the two players on the other team gang up on you, which is why (in my opinion) you need a quick offensive teammate to balance it out. I had the most success with G&W as my team mate...weird huh....Oil Panic was too good lol. His Fsmash/Dtilt was good for crowd control. G&W's jab also set up for some easy fsmashes by Snake, or c4 sticks. Also they made G&W WAY HEAVIER. o.O. Not like a super heavy weight but geez no where near his featherweight from melee. So he didn't die too fast :p

Also mortar slide in teams is just plain awesome.

Thoughts/experiences on Snake in doubles? Useful? Risky because of friendly fire? discuss maybe.
I was playing with my buddy the other day, we teamed together through wifi, and I came with a nice strategy, I told him to grab one of the opponents, and when he did - I placed a C4 on the opponent, then my buddy threw him to the side and then I detonated the poor guy.
It's a tricky setup.. but with practice it might come useful, and it's fun :)

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Heh yea I only did that for fun, aka when only one person on the other team was left. Then it was hilarious watching them run for it while my team mate tried to touch them. :laugh:

adiabatic

Smash Rookie
I need some help with Snake in Free for alls, particularly 4 people ones on the smaller levels. For smaller levels I just can't find the time to try to 'control' the map like Snake should. Usually when I go for a mine plant all I get is a boot in the face, i'm scared of using nikita's for too long and generally i don't get that map domination that I want.

So basically I'm finding good strats that work for Snake on a 1 v 1 isn't translating too well in a 4 man free for all and I am a bit low on ideas on what kind of changes to strategy I should do. Does anyone have any tips?

Here is a video of a FFA I did with a few friends on mine, feel free to criticize etc. I felt my mines/C4 and grenade use were pretty horrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNoE9WfQYmU

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I need some help with Snake in Free for alls, particularly 4 people ones on the smaller levels. For smaller levels I just can't find the time to try to 'control' the map like Snake should. Usually when I go for a mine plant all I get is a boot in the face, i'm scared of using nikita's for too long and generally i don't get that map domination that I want.

So basically I'm finding good strats that work for Snake on a 1 v 1 isn't translating too well in a 4 man free for all and I am a bit low on ideas on what kind of changes to strategy I should do. Does anyone have any tips?

Here is a video of a FFA I did with a few friends on mine, feel free to criticize etc. I felt my mines/C4 and grenade use were pretty horrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNoE9WfQYmU
Hmm dunno seemed like you did ok...I mean you won right? :p

If you want my opinion, I say you were too aggressive especially in the beginning. It worked though, but I don't think that will be a reliable FFA strategy for Snake against (if I may say so) "better" opponents. Less spammy, faster, or defensive opponents. Snake is not really a character to start duking it out in the fray.

So IMO, camping to outlast is what Snake is all about. If you want to clear some room, shield drop some nades around you. Quick and easy and keeps em away, and then you can plant some mines or c4. Try to lure people into your mine, remember where your c4 is because this can score some nice unexpected kills. Then you can just fend people off with nikita or tilts, and if your area is getting crowded, get out and set up "camp" somewhere else :p.

Also mortar slide is a riot in FFA. hehe.

Snack

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrSnackMan
All in all, I think that he can still be a good ally in team games, it's just that he has to be more careful with mines and grenades, but on the other hand teams open up a lot of oppurtunities, like not only sticking C4 to people being grabbed, but I think you can also stick C4 to your ally and try to get him to attach it to an enemy by bumping into him. Overall, I think snake in team play would be high risk/high reward if used correctly.

Metric

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone. I think I have a few useful Snake Techniques...
First one is simple and doesn't need much explanation, but ere goes:

Shield Grenade:
Snake's Grenade explodes roughly 5 seconds after you pull the pin. If you shield right before it's done cooking you will explode anyone around you with you taking no damage. It's more useful than it sounds

and
Down Throw Forward Smash:
This is a combo that is extremely good. Problem is that it is really, really hard to land and is basically up t your opponent and if they expecting it, it's useless. So eventually this will be useless in competitive play. Still, it's really awesome.
Okay, what you have to do is grab them and 'throw' them down. They have four choices(I believe) They can roll behind you, away from you, attack and get up, and stay there.
for this combo they have to roll behind you, if they do, then you forward smash behind you and it will hit them.

It seems likea long shot, and it is, but when it land it is amazing. Between the damage you do from the sleeper hold and the smash attack they are pretty much dead at 25%+

However you my want to test and see what they do when you grab+down them just in case, cause if the attack and you start to smash, you get hit.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
We knew about Shield-Nading back with Japan's release, the discussion thread is in the Les Enfants Terribles thread.

Your DThrow > Fsmash combo gambits on the 25% chance that they roll forward the first time you try it, and if your gambit fails they now know never to roll forward since it would result in taking a rocket to the face. Besides, Dthrow > Tech chase C4 stick is superior since you can knock them back then detonate the C4 stuck on them whilst they are flying in pain.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Question: How do you perform a mortar slide without connecting the dash attack?
Or How do you do the slide without hitting your opponent with the dash attack?

Squall_Leonhart

Smash Rookie
Question: How do you perform a mortar slide without connecting the dash attack?
Or How do you do the slide without hitting your opponent with the dash attack?
You need to execute the up+A immediately after the A for the roll, try it in training mode on 1/4 speed and you'll get the hang of it, the secret (in my opinion) is finding your fastest finger and then hold up and spam the A button to execute the mortar.

I don't like using the C-stick.. it isn't comfortable for me, that's why finding your fastest finger (which in my case isn't the thumb) is important to execute this move.

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
You need to execute the up+A immediately after the A for the roll, try it in training mode on 1/4 speed and you'll get the hang of it, the secret (in my opinion) is finding your fastest finger and then hold up and spam the A button to execute the mortar.

I don't like using the C-stick.. it isn't comfortable for me, that's why finding your fastest finger (which in my case isn't the thumb) is important to execute this move.
Don't forget about the fact that mortar slide without contact is easier to do when you turn Tap Jump off.

Ronin71

Smash Rookie
Snake is my second so I'm not sure about this(and i'm not sure if its already known), but if u plant his downb and then detonate the mine(downb) again while ur directly above ur opponent u will also throw another mine on them.. im sure this is a glitch as i didnt see the animation for setting the second mine but when i hit downb to plant another one the other character blew up instead... I ONLY hit downb twice.. if someone could test and verify/deny id appreciate. I saved replay and will get it up with in two days

Reckon

Smash Apprentice
Im not sure if this has been mentioned, but if you press z when you get a nade out, Snake will do a syke-out throw and drop the nade.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
This post doesn't have anything to do about gameplay but...

MGS fans - Anyone notice error with the codec convo about Fox?

Here's the convo(highlight to see spoiler of convo. I bolded the part with the error)
S: Colonel! That fox is fast!
C: You're fighting Fox, eh, Snake?
C: His full name is Fox McCloud. He's the
leader of the commando-for-hire unit
Star Fox.
C: They're mostly active in a galaxy known as
the Lylat System.
C: Fox and his comrades pilot all-terrain
fighter crafts called Arwings. His skills in
combat can turn the tide of any battle.
C: ...You seem to have a thing with foxes,
don't you, Snake?
S: Don't remind me. First FOXHOUND and
now this guy... I'm sick of foxes.

C: You and foxes have a long history together.
You ought to be proud.

The error is Foxhound are not foxes. They're hounds that hunt for foxes, they're not foxes they're hounds.
(Spoilers, highlight)
Foxhound was created by Big Boss to fight against the terrorist group known as "FOX". Well, FOX was originally created to be a "Good Guy Group", comprising of the "the Good Guys" in MGS3. But then in Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, FOX was taken over by "the Bad Guys".

So Big Boss(the good guy) decided to create a unit called "Foxhound"(The good guys, at that time at least) to fight against "Fox"(The bad guys).

I wonder if Hideo wrote the codec convo(They did say Hideo worked on the MGS stage for Brawl), I'd be surprised if he did and made that error with referring to Foxhound as "Foxes"..

So in case you guys wanted a little background info on Metal Gear Solid series and Foxhound and FOX, here it is.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
This character is effective at both long range and short range
This was a big warning light for me. Unless you count his Ftilt and Utilt, Snake doesn't have a long range game. His grenades are punishment tools and the nikita is and edgeguard. >: (

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
This was a big warning light for me. Unless you count his Ftilt and Utilt, Snake doesn't have a long range game. His grenades are punishment tools and the nikita is and edgeguard. >: (
Oh, um, Jeff...I regard you with a lot of respect and I doubt I have ever disagreed with you until now, but I feel those are certainly elements of a long range game. My reason for that is that the Nikita is not only a projectile, but can be used to contend with opposing projectiles. The fact that it is a great edgeguard is an added bonus. Also, cooked grenades gain the offensive projectile element rather than the defensive punishment aspect.

And if we're talking all aspects of ranged game, proxy and C4 can certainly hit your opponent from afar.

Still, I'm not dismissing that it could be D3 or Pit.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Eh, I just dont see Snake as the kind of guy to spam Nikitia's like weegee fireballs or Pit Arrows. Maybe I should've said he has a weak long range game, but yea I merit that as a debunked chance at Snake tier discussion.

Now that I think of it, the mystery character could be Zelda or Peach as well. Peach not so much but Zelda's little Up+B thing has been kicked out of alot by Snake's Bair.

Deadlypudding

Smash Cadet
Do you think you know how to play against this character? Think again. It seems like this character has a playstyle unique to every user, and its difficult to get a read on how they move. This character is effective at both long range and short range, and has mindgames that will put even the best players to shame. But this character has a recovery that, although many people think is quite amazing, is easily countered.
Unique to every user? Sounds like Snake.
Difficult to read? A good Snake player yes.
Effective at Long range? Nades, Mortar, Claymore, C4, Nikita all effective at doing something at range.
Effective at short range? Ftilt, Neutral A combo, Utilt, SH dair to an extent, pretty much all his CQC moves are incredible. Ariels are slow, but powerful.
Mindgames? Read every Snake thread in existence
Gimped recovery? Cypher grab

Has to be Snake, and though the hint is cryptic, most people thought last week's was G&W and guess what? No need to overthink it.

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
Lol last week surprised me, I thought marth XD

this one is prolly snake ...what got me is this one "has a playstyle unique to every user"...i think thats whats pretty evident when facing other snakes to me, like one snake uses mortars/slide more...one snake uses shield dropped nades often/nade countering defense...one snake is very good at close range/cqc and fair/bair edgeguard.....etc.

my bet is on snake :laugh:

*waits to kick self when it isn't snake* haha.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
After playing MGS2, I really dont want Raiden in Brawl or any smash. His taunts would either be complaining or his girlfriend hogging the codec.

I do gotta admit though, he has one of the best end sequences with
S3 revealing all the ****ed up **** about his past and how he was supposed to be the "new snake"
. That was about the only good part he had. He even sucked using the HF Sword, he swung it like a freaking baton!

JuniorToons

Smash Apprentice
Snake is a pretty good character with tons of tricks and items up his sleve, but I don't really play him unless I am playing for fun.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
I didn't like Raiden so much in MGS2, however, if they used his MGS4 character when putting him in Brawl, he would've been a complete badass.

Conk

Smash Cadet
Something I discovered today and I didn't wanna make a thread for since it's not really that good.

If the stage looks like

_______________Enemy__MINE__You__________

You can uptilt to set off the mine, and if your opponent is close, he gets blown up.

Very situational, but you can pretty much detonate it with RIDICULOUS spacing almost instantly cause of the uptilt speed.

Top Bottom