• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Solid Snake Discussion Thread

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Hey I was using snake last night and the weirdest thing happened.. I was able to use two up-b's with out hitting the ground or being hit. Can anyone explain what happened?

I recorded the match to my wii and SD card, but i can't upload the video because it is in .bin format. :(

Edit: More detail on what happened

it was on yoshi's story. i f-tilted metaknight off the right side of the stage. Then jumped off and tried to b-air him, missed, then tried to u-air him. i missed again and did my up-b from down below the stage. meta grabbed the edge and i tried to b-air him off; he was invincible so I fell below the stage and i did up-b out of reflex and it worked again..

I was really confused.. I've watched that video like twenty times and i still can't figure it out:confused:

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
Hey I was using snake last night and the weirdest thing happened.. I was able to use two up-b's with out hitting the ground or being hit. Can anyone explain what happened?

I recorded the match to my wii and SD card, but i can't upload the video because it is in .bin format. :(
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9xStBOqy_FQ&fmt=18

It's because you got footstool jumped on but you didn't move because the Cypher kept you in the air.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9xStBOqy_FQ&fmt=18

It's because you got footstool jumped on but you didn't move because the Cypher kept you in the air.
I just watched that video again, and i couldn't really tell, but it looked like there was a footstool jump in there.

Thanks a lot.:) i was really confused and didn't feel like reading through the 65 pages of discussion.

Foxhound_Joshua

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm new to the forums.. so I don't really know much that has already been explained. But does anyone know any great stages for Snake? Those that work best with and those that don't? Counter picks and whatnot.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Man that jab>down>jab>down -repeat trick I learned here is pretty ridiculous. You can turn it into some oddball improvised punch punch kick that kicks them upwards if you end it with up tilt.

It's great to mix with the first part of f tilt too. Makes it look like he's messing the other guy up with CQC.

If only he had an eyepatch "color"...

fatmanpeter14

Smash Rookie
quick question, what is snakes best 2v2 partner bc my friend and i are entering a tourny and we need to know, any tips or advice is helpful, thank you

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
quick question, what is snakes best 2v2 partner bc my friend and i are entering a tourny and we need to know, any tips or advice is helpful, thank you
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4837952#post4837952

MI03 - What is a good partner for Snake in doubles?

GaW or MK are good choices. GaW takes care of energy-based projectile spam while still having awesome aerial game that compensates for Snakes lack thereof. He also can (in friendly fire) run off and save Snake with an uair. MK is just general ownage that is more then decent at racking up damage to get them into the danger zone kill percent for Snake's tilts.

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
Hey I was just wondering..... is the dash attack cancel (snake's mortar slide) a glitch or was it part of the game installed by nintendo itself?

Masterplum

Smash Apprentice
hey guys i found a new spike for snake. i made a thread in snake character discussion and i just added new info. please read and try it out. i want to know if it can really be used in matches.

cheetacuz007

Smash Apprentice
How do you guys deal with meat knight? Sheild bombing and solid sliding work well but i need more than that. His high priotry and attack speed seem to be a counter to a snake player who needs to keep his distance. And his tornado passes right threw the Nikata witct really sucks cause the nikats my bread and butter and long range.

Any tips on beating meta knight or any other fast small charicters?
lmao meat knight XD

BigBossSnakeKun

Smash Rookie
Hi I'm new with snake...I immediately search for some moves and I can't seem to get the wavedash cancel thing...I watched every utube of wave dash but I can't prevail...can someone help me? maybe the controller is broken??

Yeah I can do it sometimes but rarely....how can I execute it correctly....??? :(

cheetacuz007

Smash Apprentice
Hi I'm new with snake...I immediately search for some moves and I can't seem to get the wavedash cancel thing...I watched every utube of wave dash but I can't prevail...can someone help me? maybe the controller is broken??

Yeah I can do it sometimes but rarely....how can I execute it correctly....??? :(
first of all: its not wavedashing
i just dash press a and then as soon as i hit press c-stick up
as for non-contact i cant do that either

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Non-contact Snake Dashing

Dash attack (using down c-stick) -> Up+ Z

You'll be doing the UP+Z almost immediately after you initiate the dash attack. Just mess around with the timing till you get it down. Hopefully this makes sense.

I'm pretty sure there are other ways to do it, but this way is the easiest for me.

Chip.

you know what to do

You'll be doing the UP+Z almost immediately after you initiate the dash attack. Just mess around with the timing till you get it down. Hopefully this makes sense.

I'm pretty sure there are other ways to do it, but this way is the easiest for me.
People have known about this for a long time.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
People have known about this for a long time.
I'm not stupid.

first of all: its not wavedashing
i just dash press a and then as soon as i hit press c-stick up
as for non-contact i cant do that either
I was just posting it for them. Read the earlier posts before you decide to post to try and make me look like an idiot.

BigBossSnakeKun

Smash Rookie

Thanks Alot that really helps...I look forward testing this...

But in this video this guy only uses c stick...how come he can he do it?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HMfHm1G-g1E

One more thing I haven't explored the old pages...are there wave dash instruction in previous posts?

BigBossSnakeKun

Smash Rookie
Its fine..I can wait. :)

Edit: I Figure out everything that I was asking...thanks anyways

I can't seem to do the vertical kick of snake...Whats the controls to do this move? sorry for asking so many things.. :dizzy:

marth18

Smash Rookie
snake is a fancy character, at first he was annoying to control then it got easier

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
well I don't exactly main Snake, but I do play him occasionally and I'm glad to say he's a heavyweight since I good with them, anyway someday I am hop[ing to main him, but as of now I am just experimenting with his titls and such.

megamanexev3

Smash Journeyman
GigaKoopa, I see you use Bowser. Snake would be a great second for you. Just take some time to get used to him. I used to use Snake as a second, but eventually, he became my main. Now I rarely bring out my second.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Snake is fun, I though the was broken, his Utilt and Ftilt are, but he is countered pretty easily with D3, so I have no problem using him now. MK on the other hand, takes no skill to use T.T

C4 Mindgames are just soo much fun. I just need to get better at his missiles.

DUB

Smash Lord
So I'm also picking up Snake. I figured it was time to tier ***** but I didn't want to play MK. I've only been playing him for about 3 days now and I'm struggling to develop. I think I'm over-complicating Snake when he might just be a simple character. How long of a learning curve would you say Snake has?

I have no videos but I'm gonna give you an example of how my Snake playstyle is looking at the moment.

I don't usually cook grenades and throw them. I use them more as a rolling retreat and edgeguard tactic. When the enemy is close I go for jabs/f-tilts/grabs --> techchases. I place mines on platforms if the stage has them. I use the Snake-dash to close in on distance or to quickly edge guard with mortars. Sounds simple doesn't it? I've watched videos of the best snakes, read the guides here a couple times. The question I wanna ask lol, how do you get good with Snake?

Accepting all comments/advice/lolz/criticism.

cheetacuz007

Smash Apprentice
So I'm also picking up Snake. I figured it was time to tier ***** but I didn't want to play MK. I've only been playing him for about 3 days now and I'm struggling to develop. I think I'm over-complicating Snake when he might just be a simple character. How long of a learning curve would you say Snake has?

I have no videos but I'm gonna give you an example of how my Snake playstyle is looking at the moment.

I don't usually cook grenades and throw them. I use them more as a rolling retreat and edgeguard tactic. When the enemy is close I go for jabs/f-tilts/grabs --> techchases. I place mines on platforms if the stage has them. I use the Snake-dash to close in on distance or to quickly edge guard with mortars. Sounds simple doesn't it? I've watched videos of the best snakes, read the guides here a couple times. The question I wanna ask lol, how do you get good with Snake?

Accepting all comments/advice/lolz/criticism.
practice against real people, preferably ones of equal skill
i would reccomend the friend finder but its down right now
just try out different playstyles and see which ones wins for u

EDIT: LOL at 999th post

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Hey guys, I was playing teams against the CPU with my friend a few days ago, and one of the opponents was Snake. I had just killed Snake's CPU teammate and that was his last stock. My friend grabbed snake and didn't do anything, and he got out in the form of a jump release. Snake then flew off the edge of the stage and fell to his doom and he started near the middle of FD. Any idea what happened? Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom