• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Michigan Brawl Power Rankings: Season 11 Images Up!

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I'll join when I get to a computer.

And Tutu I totally get that. I harbor a lot of pride also in both Snake and D3 and want to do the best I can with them. However there is a difference between pride and over-analyzing. You should consider it a compliment when people are shocked when you lose.

It means people think you're good.

Take pride in that if anything and don't let the small stuff get in the way of enjoying the game. This shouldn't feel like a chore to begin with.

Xatic

Smash Lord
A power ranking can act as a goal to inspire and encourage players to keep training and remain active to strive to one day be on the PR. I see nothing wrong with having one.

With that being said, I'd like to move the thread back to the topic of making an AiB group for the MI PR or not, instead of focusing the discussion on a troll comment.
That'd be awesome if that was actually making me inactive. lol Whats making me inactive is school and work. I'm almost certain I'm not the only one whos inactive because of this.

What's The Point

Smash Master
He didn't really say inactive. It's more of either, say Flame sees that "MI" considered 8 other people better than him because he hasn't gone to a tournament, so he decided to go to some to get that little rank badge. Or say Rizk sees that "______" is ranked and thinks "Pfft, I can beat that guy" thus decided to try harder and go to more tournaments.

D

Deleted member

I think there should only be like a top 5 lol. Top 8 makes it toooo free.

Roller

Smash Legend
Do we have 10 people who deserve notoriety? I'm not sure, however most states that list 10 people don't either. So I don't think it would be a big deal for us to have 10 spots.

Sumer

Smash Ace
We probably have around 5 people who can go out of state and perform well, however with a PR of 5 people far beyond anyone else would give anyone else hoping to one day get on the PR zero hope for this to happen. With a PR with 5 really good players and 5 players closer to the average skill level but still above it to make it on this gives players in the average skill level range hope that if they can improve a little more and beat one of those lower 5 players that they can get on the PR too. This produces a stronger PR and a stronger smash scene with players improving to reach a goal, rather than setting a goal that most of them know they won't be able to achieve.

ZTD | TECHnology

Let's do top 16 so everyone is a winner!!!! XD

No seriously Top 8 should get the job done. And why would we want to be like other states anyway? We're Michigan and we're awesome :p

Sumer

Smash Ace
Top 8 sounds good. 5 is a little low though. o.e And some of these people who should be top 8 need to come to one of these last two tourneys to get on the PR. >.> *looks at "Have gone to at least two tournaments during the ranking season" requirement*

Rizk18

Smash Lord
**** the jets, the lions are so ****ing ******** for letting suh kick the feild goal when they shoudlve just went for 2 points and stafford is so pathetic that he cant stay in the game for a few more minutes, but whats even more depressing is when stanton couldnt even pass the ball so we could get 30 seconds off the clock. we wouldve won i was so ****ing pissed!

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I don't know about Tutu, but I feel like I am improving every tourney by some margin as well as other people.

In the past 2 tourneys I've nearly beaten L_Cancel (Ludington) and Sparta Kick (Spartan Smash) losing 2-1 at ridiculous percents :mad: If I can do that, that is showing myself that I am getting better and I'm using that as a boost of confidence.

Fzk's diddy has improved immensely. He got 5th at Spartan Smash but you could tell he has been getting a lot better.

Gio's MK is becoming pretty good. He had some good sets at Spartan Smash.

Boxxy, despite switching his main every 2 months, has probably improved the greatest and we all know it. He has told me that he is gunning for top 3.

Tutu, ever since MLG Columbus you have been getting a **** ton better. When you beat Boxxy at WBST 4 and made top 4 I knew you had gotten better anmd I was proud of you because you were doing it with a black horse character. I regarded you as a great player so when you lost to Roller at Ludington I was surprised. Now that you are just *****ing about unbeatable MU's and ****, I'm losing a lot of respect for you and how far you have come. Learn to beat those characters and take pride in what you have done thus far.
Also, don't bring that pessimistic bull**** into a state that is trying so hard to get better and to get back to the days of when Anther, Lain, Judge, Omniswell, Joel, and SamuraiPanda where traveling and making a name for our state as the powerhouse of the Midwest.

On topic,
I believe that a top 8 sounds good, but if we do include honorable mentions, I personally would include 3-4 people who have been getting better and have been placing decent but have beaten pretty good people within pools/bracket

What's The Point

Smash Master
Just to clarify, the powerhouse days were Anther, Lain, and Judge being very active. Omni, Joel, and Panda were no better than say SK or L_Cancel. They were just more active.

Technically MI hasn't gotten worse, it's just failed to improve and gotten far less active. Our better players are also our least active ones, thus they aren't improving (Save a few, mainly SK and L_Cancel cause of that Wifi).

We still suck though.

ZTD | TECHnology

I guess it depends on your outlook on things.

Michigan consists of:

Only 1 active top level player. 1 occasionally comes out to tournaments, the 3rd is pretty much inactive.

About 3 or 4 high level players that are considered active. Maybe add one or two to the list that are high level but are not very active.

About 4 or 5 mid level players that are just on the border of high level but not quite there.

A LOT of mid level players. Some clearly better than others but still haven't made any/enough accomplishments to be considered anything but.

And even more beginning players or varying levels of activity.

Which means on a national scale: We suck. On a regional scale: We're decent.

The main issue (which has been stated before) is that most of us are unaware of how to improve the correct way and how to fix our mistakes. I feel like this will change at some point though. I think the last two tournaments of the season will hold a few surprises. We can keep saying our state sucks or we can keep getting better.

I choose the latter option.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
yooo way too much talk not enough ****

i'm placing in the money pretty soon *****es so get ready
Thats the spirit

Also, WBST 5 is gonna be on the December 18th so we got 3 more this season.

Sumer

Smash Ace
WTP has gotten a lot better too, imo. O:

Also, we should all start playing more wifi to get better. <.< (Except for me, cause I don't have it atm)

Also, what's @WBST 5? .-. *can't find tourney thread for that*

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
WTP has gotten a lot better too, imo. O:

Also, we should all start playing more wifi to get better. <.< (Except for me, cause I don't have it atm)

Also, what's @WBST 5? .-. *can't find tourney thread for that*
It will be the 5th West Bloomfield Smash Tourney. Details are still being worked out we don't want to make a thread until those details are meet

Tewx2

Smash Ace
I'm just being real. Regardless a PR is ranking people according to ability, even if we all suck we don't all suck equally. My realistic view on our scene isn't going to impair my judgment.

Sumer

Smash Ace
You can be positive and realistic instead of negative and realistic.

I'm sure everyone would prefer a panelist to have an opinion such as:

"Well, a lot of MI isn't as good as it use to be, but we still have a few good players that can get to top level status if they continue training, and our other players can improve moreas well from being more active with our increased number of tourneys and smashfests."

Rather than:

"Well, most of MI sucks except for like 2 people."

Tewx2

Smash Ace
To be honest I don't think we have more than 3-4 people that will ever get close to top level status, and I heavily doubt out other players will improve from being active. When you're trying to improve activity is only 10% of the process which the majority of MI doesn't seem to understand. And that's why I have little to no faith in most of Michigan's ability to improve.

People aren't going to like me as a panelist namely because they don't like the fact that I point out that MI is a horrible brawl state, however there isn't a "likeability" requirement for being a panelist.

Also all of Michigan sucks except for 5 people, two of those being heavily inactive.

Sumer

Smash Ace
Again, I don't agree with that, but I'd rather not continue arguing or debating or w/e. I'll just say if that's how you feel, that's fine I guess, but there's nothing wrong with keeping it to yourself. I'm not telling you to give MI players who aren't the best false facts like telling them they're good or that they can beat Lain after one or two tourneys if they try hard enough or something, but reminding them on a regular basis that they "suck" isn't really the best either. If I was a new brawler to the scene and was continuously told I suck, I would have a lack of respect for the veteran smashers of the state and be turned off to attend offline events. Again, not asking you to be nice, just to keep the negativity to yourself.

ZTD | TECHnology

I would like for this particular discussion to be dropped. Mainly because Sumer convincing Tutu to stop being blunt will not come into fruition.

The Michigan Smash Scene is what it is. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and the ability to express it as long as they are not being crass or inappropriate towards specific parties. We are a community after all.

Sumer, I realize you do not like what Tutu has to say mainly because it is on a negative note. Panelists are chosen based off of their activity, knowledge, and experience. How amiable that person is, is not a part of that. If you don't like what he has to say, ignore it and do what you can to promote growth in our Scene. You do not have to be a Panelist to do that.

Tutu, you have made your point. We understand that we have to improve a lot as a state. People are working at it as well. However, if you feel like "they're doing it wrong" then help them. People look up to you for many reasons. You are a role model for MI Smash, like it or not. You're improvement is a motivating tool for many of us. Share the knowledge other than "Michigan sucks at Smash". Complaining about the problem and not doing anything about it is just as bad as being a part of the problem.

I will work on hosting more Smashfests and I am teaching a few people how to get better at the game. I let people from far away crash at my place, just so they can make it these tournaments. I am a Tournament Organizer. I am always willing to help anyone that feels like they need it. And yet I have much room to grow as a player. But I'm doing what I can given my very busy schedule to help out. Because we're a community and I consider many of you friends. I am not saying every Panelist has to be super proactive, but MI has to each other if are to improve as a state. I can proudly say I do what I can. And I have been and will continue to grow as a player and have fun. That won't change ;)

/rant end.

What's The Point

Smash Master
I don't like giving advice because I'm afraid it will come off as condescending, rude, insulting, or a combination of those.

But since Roller asked. As Icies, all you do is fiend for the grab. You need to work on Uairing and desyncing, which you are slow to start. Try winning games without chaingrabs (Or at least only using after 90+ to finish the kill). You are very susceptible to camping since you just attempt to camp back. As Pikachu, you just run away and full hop Thunderjolt every single time till you reach the end of the stage. Makes it easy to know what your doing, and shielding/hitting/avoiding the thunderjolts usually leads to free hits since you'll still be attempting the next one. You also do standing thunders at the ledge which never works.

Top Bottom